facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Who should open the batting with Tamim?
Nazimuddin 18 25.71%
Anamul Haque 10 14.29%
Shahriar Nafees 6 8.57%
Junaid Siddique 9 12.86%
Jahurul Islam 0 0%
Soumya Sarkar 2 2.86%
Imrul Kayes 11 15.71%
Mominul Haque 2 2.86%
Naeem Islam 0 0%
Mohamad Ashraful 11 15.71%
Other (please mention who) 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old October 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
Tiger444's Avatar
Tiger444 Tiger444 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 17, 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Favorite Player: All the BD players
Posts: 8,235

Quote:
Originally Posted by anher
i dont understand, why so many among us dislike nazimuddin even for the test squad?
he showed good enough technique and temperament last time he selected for the test series. even in that series he looked more reliable than Tamim . We tend to forget things so easily.
That's just 1 innings bro. Check his innings out in the very next match in Dhaka against Pakistan and you'll see how Nazimuddin would most likely struggle on true sporting wickets. Also check his performances overall besides that one innings. His technique was just exposed big time and I'm not sure he can sustain his success in the international arena. Of course I would love to be proven wrong but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old October 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
roman's Avatar
roman roman is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 18, 2004
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash
Posts: 10,879

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Ashraful is the most experienced failure in the history of cricket.. he plays as a "batsman" and averages 20 in test cricket. Even fools like Nazimuddin is a better choice. Experience doesn't mean **** when you are only experienced in failing
I know what you are saying. But you know that our selectors have this platonic love for Ash and he will be picked. So if he gets a chance why not have him open? Yes he is the most experienced failure and its unfortunate that he gets so many chances to fail. But I would rather see him fail early than see hin throw his bat at everything like a fool at a stage when we need to bat sensibly..
__________________
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when open.....Thomas Dewey
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old October 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
kalpurush's Avatar
kalpurush kalpurush is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Location: Victoria: Heaven's Earth!
Posts: 17,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Maybe go with Nazimuddin for continuity. Help us God.
You read selector's mind, didn't you Asif bhai?


Safest choice - no risk, did play last time also! Won't be blamed for selecting him either!!!
__________________
> Start slow. Build a base. Then explode.
> I needed to perform so that I could give my countrymen an occasion to cherish and be proud of - Ice Man
> My photographs @ flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/obayedh/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old October 22, 2012, 12:25 PM
Anher's Avatar
Anher Anher is offline
BC T20 WC 2012 Fantasy League Winner
 
Join Date: January 31, 2005
Posts: 3,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
That's just 1 innings bro. Check his innings out in the very next match in Dhaka against Pakistan and you'll see how Nazimuddin would most likely struggle on true sporting wickets. Also check his performances overall besides that one innings. His technique was just exposed big time and I'm not sure he can sustain his success in the international arena. Of course I would love to be proven wrong but I doubt it.
which of our opener all we have tried so far in our test history except tamim doesn't struggle in sporting wicket? They don't only struggle they look miserable. They always look clueless in test in batting paradise wicket hack even our own yard.
Nazimuddin certainly looked better to me than all other opener partnered to be tamim last time i checked and its against one of best bowling attack. He deserve it more than other in upcoming series.

by the way, ash own me . By mistake i selected ash as tamim's opening partner. or was it ash's voodoo magic guided me there?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old October 22, 2012, 12:48 PM
Tiger444's Avatar
Tiger444 Tiger444 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 17, 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Favorite Player: All the BD players
Posts: 8,235

Quote:
Originally Posted by anher
which of our opener all we have tried so far in our test history except tamim doesn't struggle in sporting wicket? They don't only struggle they look miserable. They always look clueless in test in batting paradise wicket hack even our own yard.
Nazimuddin certainly looked better to me than all other opener partnered to be tamim last time i checked and its against one of best bowling attack. He deserve it more than other in upcoming series.

by the way, ash own me . By mistake i selected ash as tamim's opening partner. or was it ash's voodoo magic guided me there?
I agree that besides Tamim, all our other top order batsmen are below par once it comes to batting on true sporting wickets but from judging Nazimuddin compared to even the likes of SN, Ash, Junaid, Jahurul, I think he's even worse. At least with those guys, they could somewhat survive tough conditions but Nazimuddin can't.

Well let's see how all these guys do in the next round. I still feel the competition is wide open for that 2nd opener's spot.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old October 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,617

i really want to see anamul selected but his poor run of form makes it hard. i didn't get to see nazimuddin's test matches it's hard for me to really make a proper judgement, seen lots of his ODI and t20 innings though and he looks like he should be nowhere near international cricket but then he has this great FC record (by BD standards) and did ok in the couple of tests he did get.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old October 22, 2012, 11:29 PM
Maysun's Avatar
Maysun Maysun is offline
MLC World Series I
 
Join Date: April 11, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Posts: 5,892

Though I want to see Anamul, the selectors will stick with Nazimuddin because

1. He had a good outing in the last Test series
2. Anamul isn't snatching his chance with recent performances.
3. If the no.3 spot goes to someone other than Nafees, maybe Naeem or Mominul, they would want someone with more experience at the top.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old October 22, 2012, 11:39 PM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
i really want to see anamul selected but his poor run of form makes it hard. i didn't get to see nazimuddin's test matches it's hard for me to really make a proper judgement, seen lots of his ODI and t20 innings though and he looks like he should be nowhere near international cricket but then he has this great FC record (by BD standards) and did ok in the couple of tests he did get.
You can watch the youtube link here to get a glimpse of that innings. What i liked about that innings was that once he got set he looked very comfortable against the spinners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqizDa0DuzY
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old October 22, 2012, 11:39 PM
M.H.Rubel M.H.Rubel is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 18, 2009
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players
Posts: 5,596

Potential Candidates:
Nazimuddin , Shahriar Nafees , Junaid Siddique, Jahurul Islam ,
To me all are almost same. In that case i dont want to break last test opening combination. So i shall continue with Nazimuddin.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old October 22, 2012, 11:59 PM
fuadomar fuadomar is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 6, 2011
Location: Lalmatia, Dhaka
Favorite Player: Bangladesh 11
Posts: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by anher
i dont understand, why so many among us dislike nazimuddin even for the test squad?
he showed good enough technique and temperament last time he selected for the test series. even in that series he looked more reliable than Tamim . We tend to forget things so easily.
The memory against Pakistan during the Asia cup final is vivid to me. I never saw an opener struggled so bad against spinner in an ODI.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old October 23, 2012, 12:05 AM
MohammedC MohammedC is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
 
Join Date: April 15, 2007
Location: Manchester,UK
Favorite Player: bhujee kom
Posts: 22,445

And when you are not an outstanding batsmen one hope you are not a crapiest of the already renowned worse fielding team.

Quote:
48.1
Robiul Islam to Taufeeq Umar, no run, dropped first ball after lunch! Nazimuddin has clanged a total sitter. Short of a length, angled across and Umar goes for the cut. He plays it uppishly, straight to gully and Nazimuddin doesn't hold on.
I remember this from last test.
__________________
I love Bangladesh cricket and that's why I found BanglaCricket.com
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old October 23, 2012, 12:17 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
You can watch the youtube link here to get a glimpse of that innings. What i liked about that innings was that once he got set he looked very comfortable against the spinners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqizDa0DuzY
thanks for the link. he has to be very careful with that gap between bat and pad when he drives, especially against the pacers because it's huge, you could drive a truck between it. will most likely get owned against test quality quicks if he doesn't fix that.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old October 23, 2012, 12:30 AM
cricbook cricbook is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 13, 2011
Posts: 3,095

i want to see mominul is playing wi series badly.....he is capable batsman....n espacially he play good in test match. jahirul can play as well....
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old October 23, 2012, 12:38 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,617

the thing with anamul is that we can question his form at current but with his consistency in FC cricket over the years and his motivation to be the best in world and be an international player combined with his talent means in all likelihood he will come good in the long run whereas nazimuddin will have a tough time to come good and be consistent at the international level.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old October 23, 2012, 12:59 AM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
the thing with anamul is that we can question his form at current but with his consistency in FC cricket over the years and his motivation to be the best in world and be an international player combined with his talent means in all likelihood he will come good in the long run whereas nazimuddin will have a tough time to come good and be consistent at the international level.
I don't think the fans or the selectors have any doubt about Anamul being a genuine prospect for us. The question really is when is the best time to bring him in. In the past we brought in talented youngsters without success so do we take the same risks with him? or do we give him couple more years with the A side to improve?
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old October 23, 2012, 01:05 AM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
And when you are not an outstanding batsmen one hope you are not a crapiest of the already renowned worse fielding team.



I remember this from last test.
while we can make excuses for our frail batting and bowling, there is simply no excuse for our poor fielding
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old October 23, 2012, 01:12 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I don't think the fans or the selectors have any doubt about Anamul being a genuine prospect for us. The question really is when is the best time to bring him in. In the past we brought in talented youngsters without success so do we take the same risks with him? or do we give him couple more years with the A side to improve?
i think anamul is the type of talent that improves when challenged to, he make take a bit of time to settle in but once he does he'll be really good. plus i believe that if the selectors have anamul opening with tamim, mominul at #3, nasir and shakib at 4/5 and mushy at 6 preferably but even 7 then anamul will be starting off playing in the strongest BD batting line-up assembled to date which is a good thing, plus it's home conditions against a weaker side. anyway if anamul scores a century next match i'm pretty sure a few of us will pencil him in as a certainty for 2nd opener spot in the tests but we'll have to wait and see what he comes up with.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old October 23, 2012, 02:23 AM
BANFAN's Avatar
BANFAN BANFAN is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: March 26, 2007
Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam
Posts: 16,689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I don't think the fans or the selectors have any doubt about Anamul being a genuine prospect for us. The question really is when is the best time to bring him in. In the past we brought in talented youngsters without success so do we take the same risks with him? or do we give him couple more years with the A side to improve?
At least wait until he gets his form back... And shows some consistency ... At this point, bringing him in = ruining him,
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old October 23, 2012, 02:46 AM
rinathq's Avatar
rinathq rinathq is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 1, 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Favorite Player: Mash, Shak, Enam, Riyad
Posts: 2,852

Let me get this straight, some of you guys want to have a young lad who has a promising future who barely has international exposure, currently going through an off form, to play opening in a test match against a deadly bowling attack....
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old October 23, 2012, 02:50 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
Let me get this straight, some of you guys want to have a young lad who has a promising future who barely has international exposure, currently going through an off form, to play opening in a test match against a deadly bowling attack....
are any of the openers other than tamim in form right now? and how many of them have international experience. SN probably the only choice then since he's experienced and got a 50 this round.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old October 23, 2012, 02:50 AM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
i think anamul is the type of talent that improves when challenged to, he make take a bit of time to settle in but once he does he'll be really good. plus i believe that if the selectors have anamul opening with tamim, mominul at #3, nasir and shakib at 4/5 and mushy at 6 preferably but even 7 then anamul will be starting off playing in the strongest BD batting line-up assembled to date which is a good thing, plus it's home conditions against a weaker side. anyway if anamul scores a century next match i'm pretty sure a few of us will pencil him in as a certainty for 2nd opener spot in the tests but we'll have to wait and see what he comes up with.
My only concern is that we are dealing with BD management here. In our culture we can show all the love when the performance is good and then when the bad patch eventually comes, all the good work is forgotten and the knives are out. We have seen that kind of sentiment shown to even Shakib and Tamim.

If Anamul is given the opportunity in the series then I would really want to see him get a continuous run for at least 3-4 series to cement his place regardless of his performance, but I am afraid that he might get discarded sooner than that by our management and fans if he fails.

The selection process should be in line with performance with our domestic competition. We must ensure that players are rewarded for their effort in FC cricket. Blooding in talented youngsters come off as a good move only once in awhile when the talent concerned are the likes of Tendulkar, Ponting etc. We have a better chance if we follow the route of Hussey (many years in FC cricket first) in my opinion in terms of selection.
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old October 23, 2012, 02:51 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
My only concern is that we are dealing with BD management here. In our culture we can show all the love when the performance is good and then when the bad patch eventually comes, all the good work is forgotten and the knives are out. We have seen that kind of sentiment shown to even Shakib and Tamim.

If Anamul is given the opportunity in the series then I would really want to see him get a continuous run for at least 3-4 series to cement his place regardless of his performance, but I am afraid that he might get discarded sooner than that by our management and fans if he fails
agree give him 3-4 series.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old October 23, 2012, 02:56 AM
rinathq's Avatar
rinathq rinathq is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 1, 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Favorite Player: Mash, Shak, Enam, Riyad
Posts: 2,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
are any of the openers other than tamim in form right now? and how many of them have international experience. SN probably the only choice then since he's experienced and got a 50 this round.
Just because we dont have the perfect choice doesnt mean we risk a young talent when he is not ready....
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old October 23, 2012, 02:58 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
Just because we dont have the perfect choice doesnt mean we risk a young talent when he is not ready....
he's more ready than anyone else, it's a great time to debut him in home conditions against weaker opposition and he's earned it from consistent FC performance over the last 2 seasons. who else deserves it more than him?
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old October 23, 2012, 03:01 AM
rinathq's Avatar
rinathq rinathq is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 1, 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Favorite Player: Mash, Shak, Enam, Riyad
Posts: 2,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
he's more ready than anyone else, it's a great time to debut him in home conditions against weaker opposition and he's earned it from consistent FC performance over the last 2 seasons. who else deserves it more than him?
Weaker opponent? West Indies side is actually stronger than a lot of sides. They have a strong batting, a strong seam attack... they only had a deficiency which was the spin attack and now they have it too.

If you want to debut Anamul, Mominul, Marshal, Taskin... wait for the Zimbabwe tour or the New Zealand tour at home.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket