facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 4, 2019, 03:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Are the BPL teams doing enough to promote new and upcoming youngsters?

Looking at the squads I am not at all excited at the prospect of seeing Abul Hasan, Farhad Reza , Sohagh Gazi, Arafat Sunny , Shahadat Hossain etc. playing regularly in the BPL . There is a real lack of youngsters in the BPL teams to look forward to who will get the much needed exposure and could show their talents infront of the television instead we are going to see the usual tried and tested failures alongside the international stars.

There should be some U19 or age quota in these BPL teams where they must play one or two young, unknown players , this may only benefit BD cricket. Thank goodness we got rid of the 5 foreigner player rule and cut it down to 4.

Old January 4, 2019, 05:26 PM
Cricket Guru

We already have the tendency to overhype U/19 players, such as Shanto, Zakir, Afif, etc. This over zealous tendency to fast track U/19 players has not been beneficial off late. Perhaps it's time to take the hype down a notch, and let them mature at their own pace.
Old January 4, 2019, 06:00 PM
Banned for 1 week

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

^ No, I don't think that's what Rifat meant. Hyping players for these tournaments increases the importance of such tournaments, thereby raising the stakes. Same goes for the domestics in general. It is not means to get into the national side, but a high pressure platform to build your career. Ultimately, Bd will truly succeed when all domestics, cups and leagues are adequately marketed, televised, and the players get their due for doing well in them.

Call up to the national side will be a mere formality then, and just one more step.

Not enough eyes are on domestics now, hence players are not under pressure when playing in them. This has got to change, whereby we make the domestics a high stake high pressure situation.
Old January 4, 2019, 07:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Yes its nothing to do with hyping, that's not what Rifat is doing. On the other hand, the reaction is more like some people have allergic to young players.

I for one, eagerly watch BPL only to watch our local players, our national players playing with/against our young and non-national players. I dont watch BPL to watch international superstars, even though I understand why they are important for marketability.

Our T20 national team is not that great. This BPL can be used (if used properly) to find some new talent (who need to be further nurtured by BCB) and can be used as a spring borad of some players who BCB (and we the fans) for some reason forgotten.

And yes, I would like to see more young players getting opportunity in BPL.
Old January 4, 2019, 11:49 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ You guys keep hoping for some 19 years old to come out of nowhere and become next Shakib-Tamim, instead of giving chances to current batch of players (most of who are still in their twenties) to keep growing. That's exactly the mindset that holding back Bangladesh cricket.

In reality, half of those U/19 players are not yet good enough even to play in DPL, let alone a high stake tournament like BPL. Let them grow through struggles, instead giving them hand outs.
Old January 5, 2019, 01:26 AM
Banned for 1 week

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

^ I do both. I fully support those who have been part of the domestics for some time now. I am one of the biggest backers here of Liton and Rony, maybe the biggest one. Hope they can keep improving.

But at the same light, fascination with new talents will stay, it is the most surefire way to fast-track to greatness.
We cannot wait for our next guy to take 10 years to develop into a proper batsman a la Rahim while severely handicapped at one aspect of the game. We will quickly look to the next guy and hope to unearth a Shakib, Tamim or even Riyad.
Old January 5, 2019, 01:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Got to ask the question, how many player in their late 20s or older come out of the BD domestic system after years with stellar stats and then do well internationally?

Part of the problem is that the domestic system can only develop players to a certain point and if at that point the player doesn’t get consistent A team cricket or international cricket then they stagnate and plateau or perhaps even regress in domestics.

I’m a huge supporter in players earning their way through domestics but if the choice is an u25 player who is performing domestically or a late 20s onwards player then in BD cricket I’m more likely to pick the youngster because they have the years to eventually come good in the international arena.

A player in their late 20s or older needs to start performing within a year or two (depending on age) for BD cricket to get any quality playing years out of that player.

It’s fine to say pick the older players from domestic cricket but are they going to perform and give quality years to BD cricket?

Realistically how many years does tushar have left? Then how many good years will he have left? Then how long will it take him to adjust to international cricket?

Naeem for example if lucky could be a good pick, that’s if he starts performing in a year or two and can play quality cricket into his late 30s (not every cricketer has that ability).

Ultimately it comes down to domestic quality, a quality domestic system means if a player is performing there no matter their age then they will probably do reasonably well internationally.

Look at Australia right now, selectors are getting grief for picking on potential and not domestic consistency, but when they’ve gone for domestic consistency those players have also failed. So why are all players failing? Because the system itself isn’t working. No easy way around it, the kinks need to be sorted.

It’s not realistic to expect any player at any age to come into the national team and consistently be a gun player for me rest of their career, that is something rare, not the norm regardless of age.
Old January 5, 2019, 03:10 AM
Banned for 6 months

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

No. They are incompetent, lazy and lack wisdom.
Old January 5, 2019, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

I think some of you guys expect too much from BPL. it's just a money maker for BCB, team owners and players make some money too and fans get some entertainment. that's pretty much yet.

what we need is a domestic T20. All the other countries have them. but BCB wont because BCB is special.
Old January 5, 2019, 01:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Mustafiz

I don’t follow BPL as it’s just a poorly run and organised competition to give the locals a feel good factor that they have a version of t20 like the IPL.

IMO nothing of real value comes out of it in terms of irmpoving Bangladesh’s overall cricket.

Although that being said it gives an opportunity to make some money for mediocre players who are not international level.
Old January 5, 2019, 02:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Abu Zayed, Nayeem , and Khaled all three young guns played great in 1st game against the champion. Isn't it a great start?
Old January 6, 2019, 03:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Towhid Hridoy - 8 runs from 24 balls! He ruined first 10 overs of the innings for SS, which Pooran and others could not really make up for. This is why you don't hand out a contract to some teenager who's not ready to play at this level.

And Hridoy is the best batsmen from the current U/19 team.
Old January 6, 2019, 03:32 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: sarkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
I think some of you guys expect too much from BPL. it's just a money maker for BCB, team owners and players make some money too and fans get some entertainment. that's pretty much yet.

what we need is a domestic T20. All the other countries have them. but BCB wont because BCB is special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
I don’t follow BPL as it’s just a poorly run and organised competition to give the locals a feel good factor that they have a version of t20 like the IPL.

IMO nothing of real value comes out of it in terms of irmpoving Bangladesh’s overall cricket.

Although that being said it gives an opportunity to make some money for mediocre players who are not international level.

Bye Felicia!
Old January 6, 2019, 05:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Mustafiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_ringo
Bye Felicia!
Please elaborate
Old January 6, 2019, 05:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Towhid Hridoy - 8 runs from 24 balls! He ruined first 10 overs of the innings for SS, which Pooran and others could not really make up for. This is why you don't hand out a contract to some teenager who's not ready to play at this level.

And Hridoy is the best batsmen from the current U/19 team.
chill bro he is still a youngster and this was probably his first t20 match.
Old January 6, 2019, 05:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: sarkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
Please elaborate
I’m just teasing bro, nothing serious I get your point
Old January 6, 2019, 12:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
chill bro he is still a youngster and this was probably his first t20 match.
I am not trashing Hridoy, I am sure he will improve with time. I am pointing out why it's not wise to create age quota, like the OP suggested.

Picking players before they're ready to play at this level will only derail this tournament, like how Hridoy derailed SS innings yesterday.