facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 5, 2014, 12:42 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ Now that I've calm down after seeing that on my TV, I wanna talk about the list. The list is clearly botched, put together by some Hurry Krishna working at ESPN, putting Ind winning at No. 1.

My favorite moments:
1) India getting knocked out in 07 by the might tigers.

But seriously though, those big innings by Australians, Pointing/Gilly should be at No. 1. I mean they used to just show up in the finals and just kill the opponents from ball one. Just big game players.

1) Rickey Ponting, final 03
2) Adam Gilchrist
3) The Runout
4) Any Ind-Pak games
5) Vaas hat trick vs Ban

Old November 5, 2014, 01:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^ yeah the list missing some big points. IRE beating Eng made the list, really?? I would go with:

1) BD beating either Pak at 1999 or India at 2007. 1999- upset was rare during those period, esp for a brand new team in WC beating Pak and add the historical context between two teams. 2007 - India was a huge favorite with the best batting line up of the tournament.
2) Kenya' fairytale and making WC Semifinal in 2003
3) H Gibbs' epic dropped catch of S Waugh. He didn't just drop the catch but he dropped the world cup for South Africa. (Super Six Match)
4) SL basically inventing (arguably) slogging with Jayasuriya and Kaluwithrana. OR De Silva's century in the final.
5) Again Kenya bundling WI out for only 93 runs in 1996 WC
6) Pak winning 92 WC against NZ.

Semifinal 1999 (AUS vs SA) should be number one.
Old November 5, 2014, 01:11 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ Your list is too deep. People that don't watch the sport won't get that list. They put a generic list together for the noobs. I am sure it still didn't make sense.
Old November 5, 2014, 01:42 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

^but each of those events was very influential and memorable. fans still talk about gibbs' drop and reminisce about rise of wasim akram and seamers or the jaya/kalu opening combo. their list seems too generic like India winning WC at home, while significant, but not the most memorable moment in cricket WC history.
Old November 5, 2014, 02:02 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ Yes, you and I get it. It's influential to people who watch the game. Gibbs dropping a catch is not a top10 moment for some who don't watch the game. They'll just see a bad play. They won't get why KEN's ride is fairytale, or underdog SL's ride or BD beating Ind-Pak. Heck, even I don't get those old white-jersey b/w highlights. I don't understand the significance of those because I have no knowledge of it. They kept it generic on purpose, which I have no problem with. My problem is, even on that list, Ind-SL final is not no.1. It's not even be on top 3. Runout, Ponting was def way better.
Old November 5, 2014, 02:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

^okay so we agree. I think they included white-jersey ones because maybe they were important then. I believe they got color jerseys and camera from both ends from 92 WC. I was 3 years old then and so don't remember much but I watched the highlights just to see Imran Khan and then Wasim Akram at his peak. 96 WC was a craze where many new SL fans were born and rightly so. But I think 1999 WC was the best for its drama.
Old November 5, 2014, 08:24 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma
Default [Old unpublisded article]:Quixotic XI

Quixotic XI

Readers will recall that in the improv comedy show Whose Line is it Anyway? contests are given blind notes which they are required to read during a sketch out of context of the given theme. Well the Tigers are guilty of same for clumsily blurting out the unutterables which can be equally dangerous when taken out of context. Arrogant, flashy and sometimes downright preposterous they reflect their inner attitude regarding style of batting in collapse or leaking runs. Without further ado, here's a preview of the selected squad, in their quotable, and albeit, quixotic glory all-together:

"We are still going to win; Jarvis is ordinary"

And so it began in the lines of WWE smacktalk, when the man who signalled to Lord's groundsmen, that may very well have been a subdued: "I am the biggest son-of-a-gun-alive-put-ma-frikkin'-name-on-scoreboard-man". But one need not get so fictitious as his declaration from the press on August 7, 2010 at Harare will suffice as a classical BD goofup. He would have to go back and thickly swallow a humble pie to shut his pie-hole for the Zimbabweans would go on the give a 130 runs drubbing on the fifth day.

"We can beat any team in our home conditions"

One thinks Shakib must have said that after Rubel knocking Mills out with peach of a yorker in the evergreen Kiwi-wash. But damned you'd be lest dare you guess that! But one cannot blame him either as the day he made a ravishing century of just 129 balls at Hamilton drew the curtains for otherwise mammoth display by Guptill and McCullum, with respective 189 and 185, putting the second-highest total on that ground ever with 553 runs declared. The man spoke of an uplifted self-belief and it was the very Test where Riyad score his ton coming at No.8. In spite of the such hifalutin speech, the Blackcaps would destroy us for 121 runs. Oh well - some gall the man has, one might say!

"As a Bangladeshi player I will not love to see it happen against us"

Admonishes the Vice Captain that Sachin would not sniff his century to press on Mar 15, 2012 at Mirpur. And indeed he wouldn't for they would fall frantically with the Bangladeshis marching on to Final during Asia Cup of this year. Or as he really mused: ""Sachin is a great batsman and everybody is waiting for the rare record but as a Bangladeshi player I will not love to see it happen against us and hope we can send him back early." But whatever might have the verbatim statement, Gayle et co. will do best not to ignore the soothsayer for no one can wail on loss of 100th hundred as the Little Master himself.

"As if after beating India, Sri Lanka were a team like Kenya or Scotland, that we would win in a canter."

Reading the captain's words one can almost picture the biting sarcasm of the wit. Or as he would tell Cricinfo on March 21, 2012 defeating Sri Lanka described by Mushy as "the most incredible day in our cricketing history" that: "pressure is always there," he said. "After winning the second match and before the match against Sri Lanka people were saying that 'You must win against Sri Lanka'. As if after beating India, Sri Lanka were a team like Kenya or Scotland, that we would win in a canter." But as the imp warns the gentle reader immediately: "But as I said the way we are playing, with five or six of us performing well together, even if one or two fail you have the confidence."

"You want to see your son alive or do you want a cricket player?"

Ah yes - chuckle, chuckle, poor Nazim! Who can forget the lamentable power-hitter after 2004 U-19 camp telling his mother about the torture of ice-bath shower at seven o'clock on winter morning. But, times have changed since then and how "Nazza di Cittagiona" have toughened up for a Test product.

"You can't bowl a single bad ball in international cricket"

Holder of an unique record of MoM in debut of both Test and T20 format, Elias Sunny sheds a light on the bar he sets for himself. Straight from Isam: "I have noticed a huge difference between the domestic cricket that we play in Bangladesh and international cricket. Fundamentally for me, it is with the number of bad balls that I could bowl in an over. You can't bowl a single bad ball in international cricket; it will get punished."

"It would be nice if I could tell you the future..."

Quick riposte by Junaid would silence Andrew Miller and critics of like caliber immediately as he would astutely point out the obvious on March 15, 2010 when interviewed about his performance against England. Building on his excuse lists of inability to convert his average to more robust score he talked about lack of playing taller players like Bresnan and Finn. He would explain on the fourth day of first Test about their status: "It would be nice if I could tell you the future. [...] We have already lost five wickets and their score is very high, but we will try to occupy the crease, and if we can get a good partnership then the positives will come out. Everybody has tried to stay at the crease since we had almost two days to bat, but we will just go session by session."

"I like to shatter the stumps."

It would need very little effort from the part of audience to acknowledge that these words venomously ring true of Rubel. I refer the reader to interview of Rabeed Imam:
Q: You come across as a very gentle person and not the typical all aggro fast bowler…

RH: Well I like to shatter the stumps. I have hit a few with bouncers in domestic cricket and some had to retire hurt. I love bowling bouncers and enjoy the sight when I get batsmen in trouble. In terms of outward aggression, well I had a tendency of bullying and beating up the younger ones in our extended family and I received a few beatings myself. I don’t do that anymore (laughs). That’s probably as wild as I got!
"Indian players, particularly Rahul Dravid and Virender Sehwag leave the bouncers well but are not very comfortable in playing it. [...] Dravid is such a great batsman. To hit his helmet with a bouncer and make him fall on the wicket, I have to admit it felt good."

Perhaps it would be in poor taste to highlight Rajib's words -after the delivery which only best may be appreciated in terms of a log acting as battering ram in a battle siege - getting rid of Dravid. However, it entails to focus on it as the India on top of form at that time. The Rajib was of course not aware of Dravid's hospitalization at that time, but no amount of color in words can describe the brutality that this man possess if it weren't for this statement.

"I would stick to whatever the team tells me to do."

The Gaibandha Wizard once in ebullience and gusto declared that he'd put his neck on railway line if need be. And Naeem Islam indeed has since a blistering 73* after saving Bangladesh the blushes from Zimbabwe in ODI and remains as stalwart as ever..

Fifteen Man Squad: Mushfiqur Rahim (capt & wk), Mahmudullah (vice-capt), Tamim Iqbal, Junaid Siddique, Shahriar Nafees, Shakib Al Hasan, Naeem Islam, Nazimuddin, Nasir Hossain, Elias Sunny, Shahadat Hossain, Rubel Hossain, Abul Hasan, Sohag Gazi.
Old November 8, 2014, 02:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Is anyone using any android app to watch live cricket? pls share.
Old November 8, 2014, 05:31 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

মিড অনে ক্যাচ তুলে দিয়েছিলেন টেন্ডাই চাতারা। ফিল্ডার শাহাদাত হোসেন ক্যাচটা নিতে পারলেই খুলনা টেস্টে ১০ পেরিয়ে ১১ উইকেট হয়ে যায় সাকিবের। কিন্তু শাহাদাত ক্যাচটা ফেলেই দিলেন। এ নিয়ে মাঠেই তাঁর ওপর যথেষ্ট চোটপাট করেছেন সাকিব। যদিও শাহাদাতের দাবি, ‘খেলা শেষে সব ঠিক হয়ে গেছে।’ কিন্তু কেন তিনি ধরতে পারলেন না ওই ক্যাচটা? বিস্ময়কর ব্যাখ্যাটা শুনুন শাহাদাতের মুখেই, ‘আমি আসলে ক্যাচ নেওয়ার আগেই ক্যাচ নেওয়ার পর কীভাবে সেলিব্রেট করব, সেটা চিন্তা করা শুরু করেছিলাম।স েলিব্রেশনের ভাব চলে এসেছিল আমার মধ্যে। ভাবছিলাম, আমার হাতে ম্যাচের শেষ ক্যাচ, কী দারুণ ব্যাপার! পরে তো মিসই হয়ে গেল।
http://m.prothom-alo.com/sports/arti...A6%AA%E0%A6%A8
Old November 8, 2014, 11:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

^That confirms it. He is a bonafide retard.
Old November 9, 2014, 12:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
মিড অনে ক্যাচ তুলে দিয়েছিলেন টেন্ডাই চাতারা। ফিল্ডার শাহাদাত হোসেন ক্যাচটা নিতে পারলেই খুলনা টেস্টে ১০ পেরিয়ে ১১ উইকেট হয়ে যায় সাকিবের। কিন্তু শাহাদাত ক্যাচটা ফেলেই দিলেন। এ নিয়ে মাঠেই তাঁর ওপর যথেষ্ট চোটপাট করেছেন সাকিব। যদিও শাহাদাতের দাবি, ‘খেলা শেষে সব ঠিক হয়ে গেছে।’ কিন্তু কেন তিনি ধরতে পারলেন না ওই ক্যাচটা? বিস্ময়কর ব্যাখ্যাটা শুনুন শাহাদাতের মুখেই, ‘আমি আসলে ক্যাচ নেওয়ার আগেই ক্যাচ নেওয়ার পর কীভাবে সেলিব্রেট করব, সেটা চিন্তা করা শুরু করেছিলাম।স েলিব্রেশনের ভাব চলে এসেছিল আমার মধ্যে। ভাবছিলাম, আমার হাতে ম্যাচের শেষ ক্যাচ, কী দারুণ ব্যাপার! পরে তো মিসই হয়ে গেল।
hayre
Old November 9, 2014, 01:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

^^I don't think anyone of us can forgive Shahadat for his Asia Cup heroics....
Old November 9, 2014, 11:06 AM
Cricket Sage

every time guys like Shahadat,Ash or RAzzaq speak out they make you realize why they belong to an elite group of idiots.
Old November 9, 2014, 11:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
are you ****ing kidding me?
Old November 9, 2014, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh899
are you ****ing kidding me?
Bhaloi hoisey jey Shakib orey jhari disey!
Old November 9, 2014, 05:00 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vua
Bhaloi hoisey jey Shakib orey jhari disey!
gali dise mane? o na shkaiber sunam korlo?
Old November 10, 2014, 11:20 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

The Zeeshan, match thread khular bepar e koibar chinta korso ei porjonto?
Old November 10, 2014, 11:59 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
The Zeeshan, match thread khular bepar e koibar chinta korso ei porjonto?
Lol I did. But the formality of proper MT got in the way.
Old November 12, 2014, 04:58 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

The myth of "technique"
Why the perfect technique is the one that disappears

But hey....what do we simpletons know about the nuances of the great game of cricket. After all it's much palpable to point at something and assume just by following a laundry list a win is possible.
Old November 12, 2014, 06:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Expecting a innings victory ...... .......
Old November 16, 2014, 05:40 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Now Zims will try get revenge on return tour by keeping our team on crappy hotels and make us listen to their Shamims and AAKs, far worse than ours.
Old November 16, 2014, 06:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Isam: Bangladesh have gained confidence before World Cup
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...io/800001.html

I don't understand how this Test series is going to make us gain confidence before the WC, we have a 5 ODI series coming, what if Zim win the ODI series?
This test series definitely helped us gain confidence for the ODI series, nothing more.
Old November 16, 2014, 09:56 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Accha bhais if a left arm leg spinner suddenly decides to bowl an off spinners doosra then what will that delivery be called? Only nuanced replies plz
Old November 16, 2014, 11:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

Lets so how far this hype lasts... 5 ODI's coming up
Old November 18, 2014, 09:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Arekta Match Thread kholar zonno hat nish pish korche, is it going to be unfair?