facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 13, 2015, 11:04 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

^Hahaha. Good find bro

Old March 13, 2015, 11:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
so found this guy indiancricketforum. the name and tone sounds familiar

LOL good find. The ban must have been hard on the poor fella
Old March 13, 2015, 11:49 AM
Cricket Guru

We have a couple of Indian trolls around here that reports everything going on here at their filth known as ICF to garner some laughs
Old March 13, 2015, 03:41 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Would've preferred SA but what the hell. Whatever happens, happens. 3 more games. Simple.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Posting some of my rejected articles.

Quote:
Should cricket be automated?

Think about this. Everything from your car entry to air traffic control, Pandora to Youtube and Google to social networking algorithms, and even analyzing foreign policy to diagnosing an illness your lives are governed with computer programs. It obviously begs the question if our hallowed sport should revel under this digital aegis?

Why? Well, why why? Anyone who has perused MCC Laws on Lord's website will no doubt recall that again and again it has been hammered in our brain "umpire's decision is final". But that's exactly what the problem is. One man has so much power! I mean might as well name a cricket game " Rudi Koertzen game" or "The Kitchen complex"...if not "Another Hairry affair".

Point being umpires, notwithstanding their good matured Billy Bowdenesque humour and well intent to see a game flourish to the fullest extent, the fact remains they are imperfect and flawed. Heck, even US Supreme Court is flawed. Call it vagueness or Sorites paradox, where one cannot really take a rice away from a heap without being clueless as to where a heap starts from a grain, or even more coyly, where does one draw a line..

In fact, two distinct cases come to mind:

1. Bangladesh v. Sri Lanka T20 first match where the last ball bowled was not deemed a no-ball when 17 was required off last six and after Anamul Haque would go on a hitting rampage he was marginally out off a full toss taht could've been a no-ball:

NLTC Perera to Anamul Haque, OUT, Oh! That's unfortunate for Bangladesh. Thigh high full toss. Could have hit it anywhwere, but he miscues it straight up in the air and Thisara Perera settles under the ball to take a catch. Is this a no-ball though? Umpires have sent it upstairs. It looks very tight, but since the on-field umpires didn't call a no-ball the third umpire couldn't definitively call it a no-ball. Could have gone either way, though.

2. Bowled by Malinga, and then overturned. Although the first one was about a year ago, this one just happened already in the opening games of the World Cup.

Malinga to Ronchi, 1 no ball, Malinga back to his finest now as he sends off stump cartwheeling back after Ronchi's failed dig to get this away on the off side, but hang on to your hats folks, it looks like he may have overstepped here. The Hagley Crowd suddenly spring into life as the replay is shown on the big screen. Looks like he may have just got a portion of the boot behind the line when he landed the foot, but it is so close. And much to SL's dismay, Ronchi is given another life as they deem the ball a no-ball

Although the result may not have made much damp but if a wicket falls, there are times when they occur in cluster. That's saying that even this butterfly could've resulted in a match either way.May be karma is a nasty -----.

Reader, I have led with a red herring. Inverted Jenny is a million dollar stamp - a misprint. The perfect raku is the one that is imperfect. Flawless diamonds are the one with blemishes.

May be we could device an automatic process whereby right after a decision is pending, the HAL like computer runs a simulation and determines if a wicket should be given or not. And if there is insufficient data, then it will be predetermined by the authority..

But the fact is it is because of these subjectivity, that slight imperfection of a mortal, that roughness in decision, that we strive for a game. It makes it all the more spicy. This is exactly what creates drama and retains a lasting impression in our braincells.

Cricket is an art. We have enough bells n whistles already. Let's not overdo it, and ruin it.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:41 PM
Cricket Savant

World Cup as a traveling circus

Lately, the Cup has become more and more of a freak show. Not only Gayleforce smashed into record but we also added an Irish driven upset, a phenomenal horrific collapse, the wizard AB's whirlwind and four hundred billion runs scored in every other innings. Without further ado, I present you with the what if scenario of cricket as a vaudeville traveling circus:

The Behemoth

Sometimes I feel ESPNCricinfo is trying to communicate with me. They have this column of "While you were sleeping" and it precisely knocked the home run out of the park with Gayle's unbelievable juggernaut of an innings.

Now juggernaut is actually a word borrowed from Indian jagannath which is basically a rath or a chariot car carrying murtis or statues. Other than the "Joggonath Hall" of my country, Bangladesh, I couldn't help but feel a slight irony at this aptness. I mean after all, the sheer holders of 200+ runs in an ODI innings were all held by Indians.

The vanishing act of Malinga

Again one of those "while you slept" kind of thing. It was as if Malinga would produce yorkers after yorkers at will, yes sheer will, to dismantle Kenyan batting order. Or so would recall Tehsin, the founder of Banglacricket. Now if I only got paid for a shameless plug...
Like Russian roulette

It was as if playing Russian roulette six times and getting away with murder each times. Or say if dagger throwing was an art then it was hitting bull's eye six consecutive times.

Of course I am referring to another freak Protean who slaughtered the Dutchman van Bunge to blister six sixes in an over.

The only one in World Cup. The only one in One Day international. The only one of a kind.

Pakistani horror show

This current World Cup is a pristine record holder of unbroken records. Well I stand corrected. I couldn't be any wrong. Pakistan seemed to defy themselves and set the bar for epic collapses even higher with this 1/4 or in Aussie slang 4/1 of prologue for their scorecard. Thank God I slept that day!

Broken, by Vaas

If cricket is a juggling act, and multiple vase juggling is an art, than nobody did it worse than Vaas for shattering the first, the second and third of them in the form of a one-of-a-kind World Cup hattrick to leave a Bangladeshi total reeling at nought for three.

The double-headed beast

Flag of Albania and other common vexillology and heraldry motif carries this symbol. From Byzantine to Turks, from Mysore to Hittite its origin is unclear. But it is damn clear that in cricket it is the figure of 257- the highest margin of victory which happened in India v Bermuda match and South Africa v West Indies match. But cricket, a funny sport as it is, as I type this it has been overturned by Australia thrashing Afghanistan by 275 runs last night. Wow!

The dwarfs of Canada

Canada has twin dwarfs of 36 and 45 in World Cup. Astonishingly other possessor of low totals include Sri Lanka and Pakistan!

Duminy 99

Duminy seems like one of those rare individuals to earn his name in the record books as to be the only person to be dismissed for 99. But there could be few invisible others...

McGrath-Gilchrist show

Thanks to McGrath and Gilchrist Namibia would be dismantled. But that match also possessed that sole record of bowler's highest wicket in a n innings an most catches by a keeper.

Balancing act of Odumbe

Maurice Odumbe is the only player to have been hit wicket on two occasions in World Cup both times against West Indies.

Vaudevilliers!

Fastest 150. Exquisite improvisation. Total mastery in finding gaps and brutal power. What can I say, AB de Villiers is sort of that the weird weightlifter with curvy mustache.

And that ends our show today. Ladies and gentleman, I leave you with "He's a jolly good fellow" in their honour, which, I bet you didn't know was played during Bradman's last bow.

For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow
For he's a jolly good fellow (pause), and so say all of us
And so say all of us, and so say all of us
For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow
For he's a jolly good fellow (pause), and so say all of us!
Old March 13, 2015, 10:42 PM
Cricket Savant

Pygmalion effect in Bangladesh cricket

On Oscar night, JK Simmons walked away with the coveted statuette for his portrayal of a vicious but funny and volatile but disciplined master of a drummer who would literally give his life on the road to ascend to the top and to please him.

In the movie, Simmons' character, who is absolutely disgusted with mediocrity, reveals: There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "good job".

But is it so? Even if a student wagers his arm and a limb, what would be the value of the prize that is earned at such loss? Isn't this a prime example of what a Pyrrhic victory is all about?

While I was watching Bangladesh match against Scotland, I was blown away by some commentator. They were all in praise of Bangladesh as if Australians are playing even though the team allowed Scots to get away with 300 plus score. However, the same commentator would falter at one point and blame Tamim Iqbal for taking a review questioning the lbw decision.

And voila! What do you know....we have those rare Bangladeshi arm chair intellectuals jumping onto the bandwagon and criticizing for putting self before his team. But, I do sometimes question their alleged patriotism, which doesn't precede the egoistical garb they wear. More on that later.

Funny thing is that if Tamim Iqbal did not review it, we would have same Bangladeshi naysayers criticize him for the decision harping that at that crucial stage of the match, a set batsman should've reviewed the decision. But no, Tamim is made culpable and sinfully guilty for being selfish.

I shall not name the persons, but I am equally disappointed with Cricinfo's other liaison with Banglacricket forum, whose sole aim in life seems to be to come out of lurking and criticize Ashraful and Shakib for being greater than the team.

You see all these facts, negligible as it may seem, actually hurts the team more than not. We have the commentator Shamim Chowdhury, who trumpets his authority over the players by addressing them in "tumi" in Bengali. This may be a trifle act, but I do not see Sunil Gavaskar speaking in Hindi and addressing the others as "tum".

When I reactivated Facebook, I saw a South African friend of mine beaming in pride about AB. But many of my Facebook friends, some of which subscribe to this idea of "education is important", would never be publicly seen to go overboard with praises.Needless to say they are being disingenuous to the core.

"So what! Big deal." "Grow a thick skin and listen to the criticisms." No I won't. And yes it is a big effin deal. Because it has direct repercussion on field.

Because this cloaks and clouds a vile veneer of mentality that is residual of a disguised racism if not downright blithe classism.

Bangladesh comes from a country where house servants are kept for a pittance and treated very badly. People talk of class and their attitude to people of lower down the rank is very condescending. They act that as if hierarchically they are superior to others, and if one turns out to be a Bangladeshi player with broken English accent, than he is damned and doomed as it come.

This is sickening.

Thank God I avoided the Bangladeshi forums populated with ego driven ivory towered individuals who somehow thinks they are better than the players who have surfaced from "no class" devoid of formal education.

Constructive criticism is necessary, but the only reason Bangladesh flourished so superlatively, in my opinion would be, because somehow they have shielded themselves from press or probably got boosted by Asusie hospitality.y That's just a theory.

Speaking of theories, Pygmalion effect or Rosenthal effect in psychology is an experiment which showed that if teachers praised children then they expected better results than the ones who were negatively influenced. It is self-fulfilling prophecy.

Of course there is the ever present fear by insecure literati of Bangladesh who never touched a cherry in their lives that if you praise a player too often instead of geeing them down, it will get to their head. This of course stems from nothing but insecurity.

Cricket is a gentleman's sport, yet the critics, the fans, the management, the coaches could learn a thing or two about giving the respect to the players they deserve which they themselves expect from others.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Cricket and five Greek paradoxes

It's 3oclock Friday morning. Pitch black outside. I do not know whether Pakistan beat South Africa. I am lying on the floor; too tired to take a shower and go to bed in clean attire. So I turn on a site - that shall remain anonymous- that launches free streaming. Zimbabwe with six down is well in course as they need peanuts to defeat Ireland.

But I love Ireland. I love the underdogs and want Ireland to win. Oh well! This game is not for the Irisih who have this tag to fell the mighty ones, as well as odd upset. The commentators harked back to some World Cup where the same teams tied a match. Anyways with this match in Zimbabwe's safe hands, I went to take bath and turned off the link. I fell asleep in a beautiful slumber with Alan Watts "The Way of Zen (3 of 6)" as the lullaby.

After I would turn on YouTube next morning after reading about Irish win, I couldn't believe my eyes- and Irish luck. The highlight cut to the chase and cut down on foreplay to start off right at the critical phase of the game when a controversial six was given catch. Zimbabwe would lose the match by five runs in D/L method. Now this obviously opens Pandora's box of what ifs? For instance, what if it was given six instead?

Theoretically, what takes precedence after all in game of cricket or... how far down the rabbit hole you want to go?

Remember the old BEDMAS (Or BODMAS depending your nation of origin) rule of algebra you learned in high school? Is there one such for cricket? After much untangling of knotty paradoxes and circular reasoning amidst jungle of law, it seems that the maxim "umpire's decision is final" holds.

No ball may precede wide ball, and vice versa. Caught precedes all mode of dismissal. Bowled however precedes caught. And then we had the famous example of a West Indian getting out hit wicket after hooking a ball for six in another world cup.

But what would the ancient Greek philosophers perceive the game under a tunic of umpiring robe? I am afraid I would not be far off from the the shot in the dark.

1. Bradman is the worst batsman ever (by Zeno's paradox of arrow)

According to Zeno of Elea, motion is impossible. He is of course famous for his arrow paradox where he maintains that for motion to take place an arrow must change the position that it occupies. As told by Aristotle in Physics VI:9, 239b5
If everything when it occupies an equal space is at rest, and if that which is in locomotion is always occupying such a space at any moment, the flying arrow is therefore motionless.
Taking it a step further, if motion is impossible, then Sir Bradman never moved an inch from his chair, and therefore never played cricket. Ergo, he must be one of the worst batsman alive.
Oh... Zeno allegedely attempted to kill Demylus, the tyrant but bit off his own tongue with his teeth and spit it at tyrant's face.
How crazy would he be, had he know his application in cricket?
2. It is possible to dismiss the same batsman infinite times. (by Agrippa's trilemma)

Corollary: A team can lose more wickets than players.

A pervading fallacious logic in cricket exist when commentator blurts out after a dropped attempt: "could've two down...".

Assume, Tendulkar and Gavaskar opens. Tendulkar is dropped first, and then commentator claims that it could've been one down. But what if Tendulkar is dropped next, and then again...and again and again?

That means by his logic, Tendulkar could've been 'out' + n times.
I felt pretty smart about myself, until I found out that ancient Greek thinkers thought of every possible cases and scenarios. This is basically regressive argument in disguise. Basically according to Sextus Empiricus it is also Agrippa's trilemma, where a proof requires further proof and so on...ad infinitum.
3. Did Dhaka Gladiators pay up? (counterdilemma of Euathlus)
Basically, this is what happened and substitute the evil Dhaka Gladiators management for Protagoras and your favourite coach for Euthlus, or other players as necessary.

After making great progress in the study of oratory, the follower of Protagoras, Euathlus did not take any cases. And as time was due to pay up Protagoras sued our protagonist. According to his logic, in either case, Euathlus has to pay up because if Protagoras wins, the money will be his per verdict. But- but, if Euathlus wins, then he must pay up according to the contract which stipulates that shall Euathlus win his first case, he must pay Protagoras. A win-win case for him, needless to say.

Euathlus was not undone. He was well versed in the game and this is what he said:
"I too will either win this case or lose it. If I win, then I don't have to not pay Protagoras, per verdict. If I lose, then I don't need not pay him, under his contract. So I don't have to pay either way."

So in our study, it would be DG making the claim that if a coach wins, then coach must pay them. If DG wins, however, then still coach must pay. So coach pays at any case.

But, coach ...well you get the idea. May be our coach should ask: Define "win."

4. Jack Hobbes scored 0 (by Eubulides heap paradox)

Sorites paradox is fairly well-known. The word is actually Greek for "heap". It was invented by Eubulides who was pupil of Euclid of Megara. He was not big fan of Aristotle and taught logic to Demosthenes, the one who overcame speech-impediment.

So shadowing Eubulides,we have the following formula: Jack Hobbes scored a heap of runs. A run short of 61000 runs is still a heap of runs. Subtraction of a single run is not enough to covert a heap to non-heap. Thus, if we have a heap of runs, then deleting a single run will not suddenly make it non-heap. Yet, if we keep subtracting a single run from 61,760 we would still have a heap of runs. But at some point, there will not be a heap, but zero runs.

5. Leverock scored the fastest ODI triple (by reductio ad absurdum or Socratic method)

This fallacy particularly derives from paradox of entailment, which results in ex falso quodlibet, which means from falsehood anything follows, or rather principle of explosion).

Consider:

a. Game x was played at daytime.

b. Game x was played at night time.

c. It is not possible for both a game to be played at day and night.
e. Therefore, Bermuda's Leverock scored a 100-ball 309.

Fastest, that is.
Finally, everything I stated are facts. (by Eublidies/Bharthrahir's paradox)
Inspite of Eubulides fame, it is now actually atributed to Bharthrahi, who was a fifth century grammarian. According to his self-referential paradox in Vākyapadīya he states: Whatever I am saying is false.

Assume, whatever I stated are false. So the statement "Everything I stated are facts" is false, by which, everything I stated becomes true, but...

Good night folks.
Old March 14, 2015, 12:06 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Ok who decided to delete Soccer20Reverse thread??
Old March 14, 2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

In Sha Allah we will be in Semi Final. If you don't believe yourself, there is no point of doing something.
Old March 14, 2015, 12:19 PM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
so found this guy indiancricketforum. the name and tone sounds familiar

This is hilarious Still butthurt over that ban. Shouldn't have been an obvious troll
Old March 14, 2015, 08:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

for those who think we only do these to Zim or Afghan or other weaker oppositions.

Old March 14, 2015, 08:04 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

Tamim might be fatass, but you gotta say he is always at the front defending his team mates, and giving it to them if required.
Old March 14, 2015, 08:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Thank god Tamim is useful for something at least
Old March 14, 2015, 08:10 PM
Banned

In my mind when is "March 19th." Cant wait anymore!
Old March 15, 2015, 12:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Every time I come to BC, I fear to find something new from some member with a nick that resembles a character of a movie sequel I never liked.
Old March 15, 2015, 12:58 AM
Cricket Guru

We need our old member named Saruman back to keep Gandalf in line.
Old March 15, 2015, 07:22 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

bd vs ind match niye khub besi kada chora churi hoche
Old March 15, 2015, 07:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: rahul dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
se r bolte.
Amra upomohadesi fan ra khub pari esob.abar nijer team harle nijer doler player der gali debo

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old March 15, 2015, 07:36 AM
Banned

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bangladesh Bangladesh Bangladesh Bangladesh Bangladesh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old March 15, 2015, 07:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik
se r bolte.
Amra upomohadesi fan ra khub pari esob.abar nijer team harle nijer doler player der gali debo

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Khali gaali deya porjonto shimito thakle o hoito. Majhe majhe shimanar Baire chole jai
Old March 15, 2015, 07:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Lord Gandalf is something like a cult-hero. He is in the same realm as afghanistan's shapoor zadran and Hamid hassan .
Old March 15, 2015, 07:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Yes ... All over

Unfortunately both sides have abussive Fans, more or less.
Old March 16, 2015, 10:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Apparently Arnold Schwarzenegger is staying in the same hotel as our team.

http://epaper.prothom-alo.com/view/dhaka/2015-03-17/20

Hope he teaches Mash and co how to terminate India
Old March 16, 2015, 10:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
Apparently Arnold Schwarzenegger is staying in the same hotel as our team.

http://epaper.prothom-alo.com/view/dhaka/2015-03-17/20

Hope he teaches Mash and co how to terminate India
Hopefully he doesn't give tips on how to beat system and build quick muscles injecting...