facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old August 19, 2015, 12:41 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Virat Kohli,Soumya Sarkar
Default What's with the sudden emergence of Hindu cricketers in Bangladesh?

I hope no one finds this thread offensive, but being a new member, I am curious

Till 2013, Bangladesh rarely had any Hindu cricketers. Tapash Baisya, Alok Kapali and Dhiman Ghosh are the only ones people remember from earlier days, alongwith Ranjan Das who played in the 1st test match for Bangladesh

But Since 2014, we have seen a sudden emergence of Hindu cricketers like Soumya Sarkar, Litton Das, Rony Talukdar and u-19 sensation Pinak Ghosh. Any specific reason for this

It's good to see the minority community get chances too and get a chance to feel patriotic and do something for their nation

I have 1 question - What will the Bangladesh fans feel if 5-6 Hindu cricketers are there in the Bangladesh XI? Will the Muslim majority Bangladesh public accept them? Will they still support the Bangladesh team if they have 5-6 Hindu cricketers in the XI?
Old August 19, 2015, 12:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by india_bd
I
I have 1 question - What will the Bangladesh fans feel if 5-6 Hindu cricketers are there in the Bangladesh XI? Will the Muslim majority Bangladesh public accept them? Will they still support the Bangladesh team if they have 5-6 Hindu cricketers in the XI?

how does one even come up with such retarded questions? who cares what their personal believes are as long as they are performing!
Old August 19, 2015, 01:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: #75, #1, #59, #3, #90

Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist whatever they are, won't matter. They are Bangladeshi above all.
Old August 19, 2015, 01:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

We are Peoples republic of Bangladesh, not Islamic republic.
Old August 19, 2015, 01:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

I find your post extremely offensive. Stop trolling and stop asking stupid *** questions.

Bangladesh has a very good percentage of Hindus. So naturally some will make it to the team. What's the big deal .. every other day someone has to bring this unnecessary topic up...

No one is thinking about anybody's religion when Bangaldesh is playing .. trust me.. atleast even when amla plays, ppl think of Muslims - his beard and association.... None of our current players show any outward display of their beliefs.
Old August 19, 2015, 01:37 AM
Street Cricketer

Apologies to everyone who find this post offensive. I feel I got my answer to the question
Old August 19, 2015, 01:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Apologies to everyone who find this post offensive.
Your post is offensive because your premise is Bangladesh being a Muslim majority nation would discriminate against non muslim minorities, hence you are surprised by their inclusions?. Otherwise it's a silly question.

We were the victims of a genocide by our other "Muslim Brothers", so Muslim tag in Bangladesh has no meaning. Bangladeshi identity is first and foremost.
Old August 19, 2015, 02:10 AM
Cricket Legend

The are more Hindu players that are doing well and performing, hence it is rightly that they represent Bangladesh. One thing for sure in Bangladesh if your good enough you will play doesn't matter what religion you have. Before we had Hindu players but they were way below average. Yet they made it to the team.. No religion issue in Bangladesh!!!
Old August 19, 2015, 02:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

We could have 11 Hindu cricketers as long as they are the best 11 we have. They represent Bangladesh and are Bangladeshis. Religion has nothing to do with sports!!
Old August 19, 2015, 02:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

And to answer if we will support them? That's retarted. It's like asking do you love your children!!
Old August 19, 2015, 02:15 AM
Cricket Legend

What would India fans do if 6-7 players out of the 11 were muslims? In a majority Hindu country? That's a question I rephrased for the thread opener to answer...
Old August 19, 2015, 02:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedShamim
What would India fans do if 6-7 players out of the 11 were muslims? In a majority Hindu country? That's a question I rephrased for the thread opener to answer...
LOL well put my friend. THe answer is Nothing. Indian fans will do exactly the same thing if they had 11 hindu players - flock in masses to stadium and marginalize/outvocalize any opposition support.

shehwar there are ppl that don't love their children.. :p
Old August 19, 2015, 02:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Apologies to everyone who find this post offensive. I feel I got my answer to the question
Hi.

In Pakistan it is extremely difficult to get into a team especially if the player is from a minority back ground, which I've heard and read.

In Bangladesh if one can prove themselves, they can make the team. Religion is not an issue atleast in sports.

Bangladesh have had a string of players in the past who have been Hindu. Baisha, Kapali, Ghosh.
Old August 19, 2015, 02:25 AM
Cricket Legend

In Pakistan, they will pick you and then will convert you and change your name from youhana to Muhammad.
Old August 19, 2015, 02:34 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

The only people who brought up religious questions about our players are Indians. Why is that? Why are you guys so worried? I didn't even know what religion SS followed until some Indian member brought it up. I, like everyone else, was too busy watching him bat and enjoy our team trash every team, rather than worry about players' personal lives. Players get selected based on their game not their religion...

Indians and Pakistanies have lot of evolving to do when it comes to cultural stuff.
Old August 19, 2015, 03:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
We could have 11 Hindu cricketers as long as they are the best 11 we have. They represent Bangladesh and are Bangladeshis. Religion has nothing to do with sports!!
This. Bangladesh now have been producing talents of much better quality than ever before. That's why the new players are performing so well and Soumya just happened to be one of those talents. That's all.
Old August 19, 2015, 03:08 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedShamim
There is nothing called as Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Sikh, whoever. We are Indians 1st, then the followers of our religion

If the best 11 of India means having 11 Muslims even, still I will support India with the same passion as I do now. Players performance and dedication towards the country matters to me, not their religion
Old August 19, 2015, 03:12 AM
Cricket Legend

^ good to hear. The same applies for Bangladeshi fans. Nothing different. That should be the end of discussion as I am sure you have found your answer.
Old August 19, 2015, 03:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

as an Indian hindu with roots in BD I find this thread offensive.

BD might have major problems with its minorities but it is certainly no pakistan. there is a very strong streak of jatiyawatabad in BD which keeps the flag of dharma-niropekkhota alive in the face of extremist islamic elements.
Old August 19, 2015, 03:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
There is nothing called as Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Sikh, whoever. We are Indians 1st, then the followers of our religion

If the best 11 of India means having 11 Muslims even, still I will support India with the same passion as I do now. Players performance and dedication towards the country matters to me, not their religion
Indians have alot of misconceptions of Bangladeshis from what I have experienced. It is good to see you have taken an interest.

Slight correction, a muslims' religion always comes first.

However it seems you share the exact same passion as Bangladeshis. When it comes to our team (regardless of sport), we support our players based on their performance not their religion.

Dont get us mixed with Pakistanis. It is in their nature to mistreat minorities.It is not a Bangladeshi thing. Bangladeshis live in a multi religon climate. Most of all are just a merry bunch of people.
Old August 19, 2015, 03:35 AM
Street Cricketer

Thanks to everyone for answering

And apologies once again for this thread. In India, we sometimes keep hearing about the mistreatment of Hindus in Bangladesh, hence this thread. And it's good to see that people will support Bangladesh even if they have 6-7 Hindus as they will represent Bangladesh and their national pride

And yes it's mostly we Indians who come up with these type of questions, but it's our media which is to blame. We all must realise that we are humans 1st and then the follower of any religion
Old August 19, 2015, 03:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

I think the thread opener has made some fair remarks and queries (although I do think this belongs in the FC section).

Whilst the country is mostly secular, there is growing intolerance for expressing a differing point of view (blogger killings as an example) and I have noticed amongst some of my peers the way they tend to scrutinize the Hindu players more than the Muslim ones for any below par performance. Liton Das for example is someone who came in with exemplary FC stats and huge expectation but because of a relatively quiet start to his International career, certain people are already calling him mediocre whereas I am sure they would have allowed more leeway for Muslim players i.e. Ashraful.

Just my observations and like I said the country is pretty secular on the outside although the real test in mentality and perception comes when (if) they make a Hindu player captain or if we ever have a PM that is Hindu or from any other minority faith.
Old August 19, 2015, 04:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Give the OP some slack, he is an INDIAN who is curious enough and us ask politely about these matters unlike some stupid trolls.

My answer is, we love our players, whether they black or fair, tall or short, and religion either. BD is a secular country, or atleast crickat fans are. We may support Pak because of their players like waqar, wasim, afridi but not becasuse they were muslim. And we have a certain dislike towards india not because of religion but because of their attitude towards us, as in the cricket board.
Old August 19, 2015, 04:12 AM
Cricket Legend

I am sorry Yameen! You completedly got it wrong! Ashraful from the first moment had a amazing start to his career, at age of 16 on his debut made a century! From there we was a legend of BD cricket! Amongst the old crops Aftab,Nafees,Bashar he was the best a match winner! You can not compare him to the current group of players. As you may know.. Which I doubt you do.. In Bangladesh if a player does well on debut! Shows us Magic.. We give him more than enough time.. For God sake we proclaim them to the status of Sachin and others.. Clearly this tradition will be hard to change. Coming back to your point of Das being critised more because he is Hindu is such a crazy thing to say and a foolish one! Soumya is a Hindu.. He didn't set the world alight on his first couple of matches yet we banhladeshis saw class.. A guy like Das coming with awesome numbers and not living up to his standards in the so many matches he has played is a worry. I am a big fan of Das and hoping he will improve. Really sad to hear you thought process. Sir Ash lived through two centuries (Alok,Nafees,Bashar and some other oldies) and the new one (Shakib, Mushfiq, Tamim) clearly in the second of his decades he is not the best, yet we fans were crazy for what he has done for Bangladesh and kept on giving him chances... Now ask him what has Das done to deserve the fans crazy support which ash got? He hasn't done anything special yet for the country : nothing.
Old August 19, 2015, 04:39 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,SalmanBut,Asif etc.

First of all I never discriminate between Hindu Or Muslim. But I am addressing them differently here because to answer the question...

You see your word 'less opportunity' can have lots of meaning. There are some Indians who thinks BD don't give right opportipunities to the minority players. But actually it's not like any Hindu performing well..and we are not picking him. Or some thinks if one Hindu and one Muslim scores 500 in a season...latter one get picked before the minority one.
Which is completely wrong. Not just that Soumya Sarkar was not even a domestic beast. His best performance was being 4th/3rd highest scorer in a premier league that too after his debut in 2014. That means when he debuted he never was a prominent domestic competitor. He had a list A ave of 27 and goodish strike rate of 80.
So if there is any discrimination towards minorities in BCB then Soumya would never come into BD team until he take the domestic level into fire. But it was not the case.
They saw talent in him and picked him then. And special talents don't need stats. However I am not saying Minorities are very happy in BD. Their numbers are dicreasing too. But in Cricket POV I believe there's no discrimination at all.
Closed Thread