facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Should Mushfiqur be stripped of captaincy?
Yes 57 41.01%
No 69 49.64%
Don't know 13 9.35%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 11, 2012, 03:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Mushy should continue as the captain IMHO. He should leave the keeping job. It's too much load for him to do both captaincy and keeping at the same time. As Anamul is in the squad, Anamul should do the keeping. As a result, Mushy will have more time to think about his captaincy job.

Sangakara left keeping when he was made the captain.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

mushy might not be the best tactician but the teams doing quite well under him....spinners have been performing, batting hasn't been that bad when you consider test performances and the t20 performance in this series. mushy and riyad have stepped up, nasir came through in the last match of the series when needed. the team has been making matches more competitive under mushy.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:09 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Simple question to shuziburo: who should have bowled?
Since our pacers don't bowl well at death, he could have used AR. In fact, Rubel's first spell included 2 wickets. If Mushfiqur wanted to finish his quota, he should have done it within the first spell.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozy
Like a lot of other people said here, there are no other options. Sakib is overloaded with work. We do not have too many options here. Mahmudullah is still unstable with his position in the team. Don't even say Mash, he is not a regular. So no other options.

The thing we need to learn is how to use our bowlers. A guy like Rubel should never be used as a death bowler if there is a set batsman on the other end. Rubel is more of an opener material. You can have him hit the deck hard with pace and then bring in the spinners later. That is his role. Once the ball gets old, he is of no use in an ODI. Its all about knowing your own players as a captain. That is the only way to utelise them right. If you don't know which chess piece moves in what way, you can not be the king. You might as well be the pawn in the game.

But having said all of this, I have to say that in the end Mushy went for the Win!! He did not want to settle and see where it goes which is why he made that change. He thought a fast bowler would be more threatening. Bad mistake with that move, but at least he had the right attitude. A sharp contrast from any BD captain before Sakib. At least you know he believes in his team!
None of our pacers is good at death. Mash used to be good, long ago. Shafiul bowled some good death-over spells. But, our spinners generally bowl better than the pacers in this situation. It is quite possible that a spinner also might have been spanked. But, he would not have given up 17 + 29. "buddhiman dekhe shekhe aar sabdhani theke shekhe."
Old December 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah ,sakib tamim

riad should be bangladesh captain without a dout
Old December 11, 2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Mushy should continue as the captain IMHO. He should leave the keeping job. It's too much load for him to do both captaincy and keeping at the same time. As Anamul is in the squad, Anamul should do the keeping. As a result, Mushy will have more time to think about his captaincy job.

Sangakara left keeping when he was made the captain.
Indeed.

Mushy should not continue keeping - he is dropping catches in crucial moments of game which is costing us match after match. His keeping is below par IMHO.

As captain he is doing good, not Excellent though. If he drops keeping, he might be a better captain who would have more time to concentrate in other things.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Potential great Captain material?

Either you have it (what it takes to be a great captain), or you don't. By this time everyone should have a pretty good idea if 'Mushfiq have it or not".

As of me, he doen't look like he have it what it takes to be a great captain. The only reason he may be hanging on as a cpatin with the excuse that we don't have any alternatives.... and that by itself is not a good situation for the team or for the fans.

The same is true is with wicket keeping.... he goes one step forward and then goes back one step. He may have improved ... but basically he moved from "poor" to "average" at best.... I don't see anytime soon he will be considered a "good" wicket keeper. Again the excuse that "we don't have any good alternative" will help him keeping his spot for now. Again that is also not a good sign for the team or for the fans.

Bottom line, you don't get a good captain or a good wicket keeper unless you develop and try/take risk.... they don't grow in tree as ready-mate ... ready to use. BCB need to understand team's need, work on developing possible substitutes and take calculative risks...only then hopefully we will get better wicket keeper and/or better captain (both area with are below average)....just doing nothing is not going to solve the problem.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Good post Fazal. Those who think there are no alternatives, had been saying the same thing when Bashar, Ash, Mash, Shakib were captains etc. Either we have to find a good coach for Mushy who can teach him how to keep and lead better, or simply find a replacement. It takes time either way, but you have to start someplace. For now I think captaincy is the weakest link, and the head coach is just as much responsible as Mushy for this debacle. We have a captain who can't lead and we have a coach who is not a head coach material...
Old March 28, 2013, 09:55 PM

Any good captain would have avoided using Shahadat's final 6 overs today. However, Mushfiqur is our only option at the moment. He has learned. Hopefully, he will learn to make some unconventional decisions.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:23 PM
Banned

In my opinion he is a good leader but not a good tactical or strategical captain. His field settings and bowling changes show lot of weaknesses. I believe he inherited it from his predecessors. None of our captains impressed us with their innovative or smart thinking, not even Shakib. Although Shakib was aggressive by nature his field settings were poor and often hesitated to use part timers. It comes from two things I believe- the cricket culture where you develop as a cricketer and the doubt on the ability of your players. Mushy is following the footsteps of the captains he played under domestically and in the national team. it will take lots of courage to change the approach. The more he will play against the big teams the more he will be familiarized with different ideas and with more contributions by the irregular performers to the wins will give him confidence to use them increasingly.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

There should be training sessions for captains too. It could be conducted by famous ex captains like Imran Khan/Sourav Ganguly/ Steve Waugh. Exchanging the thoughts and how they read match situation sorts of issues could be discussed. As mentioned in the earlier post BD captains are growing up in such domestic environment where he gets no chance to learn from observing great captains. The chance of value addition should be there.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

In my opinion, good captain needs to be good with tactics and also have the ability to bring the best out of their players. I think mushy definitely has the ability to bring the best from his teammates (better than shakib), but tactically he is not as sharp as Shakib. I definitely think he is improving in this aspects, you gotta give him credit for restricting SL to 300 in the 3rd ODI.

When it comes to keeping he is definitely better than average keeper, he does not drop too many chances these days. I definitely think that he is our best keeper at the moment.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
In my opinion he is a good leader but not a good tactical or strategical captain. His field settings and bowling changes show lot of weaknesses. I believe he inherited it from his predecessors. None of our captains impressed us with their innovative or smart thinking, not even Shakib. Although Shakib was aggressive by nature his field settings were poor and often hesitated to use part timers. It comes from two things I believe- the cricket culture where you develop as a cricketer and the doubt on the ability of your players. Mushy is following the footsteps of the captains he played under domestically and in the national team. it will take lots of courage to change the approach. The more he will play against the big teams the more he will be familiarized with different ideas and with more contributions by the irregular performers to the wins will give him confidence to use them increasingly.
Agree with you. This is just like learning to win matches in difficult situations. The more we experience tough match situation, the better we get at it.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

shakib always played under the captaincy of mushy in BKSP and age levels. they are very good mates since then. and when shakib was captain, shakib always took advice from mushy behind the stumps for field placements.

so basically since shakib's captaincy era we are basically setting field placements of mushy's thinking.

well beside the way the captain thinks, the field placement also depends on how the bowler wants to bowl, the match situation and the batsman who is batting.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shk/Mus/Momi/Nas/Mas/Rub

don't know about his tactic and stratwgy but if u havw bowler like rajib, abul and current form if rubel even imran khan would get some criticism of his strategy and tactics. To me mushy is a mature capatain and not all plan go according how you think on the field. Out of the field easy to say watching on tv but inside field story is something else..
Old March 31, 2013, 12:16 PM

Mushfiqur outdid himself today. I was beginning to think that he might be a salvageable captain. But, if a captain cannot learn from his prior mistakes, he is not going to be good.
Old March 31, 2013, 12:16 PM

When is Saqlain coming back? I think he should be the HC.
Old March 31, 2013, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

yes he made errors. but who is there to replace him? the options are --

1. shakib - already tried.
2. tamim - will surely create dressing room drama
3. riyad - HAHAHA
4. Nasir -
Old March 31, 2013, 12:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

He does need good ideas sometime, VC and coach (if he is sincere) should help him
Old March 31, 2013, 12:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Should be stripped of Captaincy Maaney dada....should be stripped of all his cloths (- the underwear) then pad, gloves, guard, protector and helmet and then send him back to bat! Maney underwaer aar bat, pad gloves thakbey, shudu pants aar shirt-ta thakbey naa...
Old March 31, 2013, 12:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Yeah, definitely NOT.

He is still the Man.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 31, 2013, 01:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
yes he made errors. but who is there to replace him? the options are --

1. shakib - already tried.
2. tamim - will surely create dressing room drama
3. riyad - HAHAHA
4. Nasir -
achha Nasir facepalm keno?? bujhi nai... I though he is our future potential captain
Old March 31, 2013, 01:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

^^ May be not the facepalm, but he really shouldn't be considered for captaincy role anytime soon.
Still very young and only in his 2nd season in international cricket, he is doing very well for himself and needs to concentrate more on his game.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 31, 2013, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Shakib is the real captain of this team, but until he's ready, we probably have to continue with Mushfiqur. One thing is for sure, he needs a good whipping, inside out, before the Zimbabwe series. Unfortunately, SJ is not the man to do that, neither is Papon. We need Loitta, we need Pybus. These norom tultule hulo birals are being treated too softly in the dressing room, which is why they pee their pants at the slightest whiff of pressure.
Old March 31, 2013, 01:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
achha Nasir facepalm keno?? bujhi nai... I though he is our future potential captain
Coz what Rabz bhai already said. It's only his second season and playing extremely well, more importantly looks like he is enjoying his game. He also doesn't have domestic captaincy experience. He might be considered future captain but that's way down the road.

For now we shouldn't burden him with captaincy role. We don't want to put more pressure and let him play his natural game.

shakib, tamim, mushy, nasir, riyad*,
are the core of the team now. Bottom line is, no one except Mushy is capable of captaincy at the moment or the foreseeable future.