facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 6, 2012, 08:17 PM
kalpurush's Avatar
kalpurush kalpurush is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Location: Victoria: Heaven's Earth!
Posts: 17,088
Default Appoint Shane Jurgensen as Head Coach


Shane Jurgensen



Shane seems know how to motivate our players very well. According to Mashrafee, Shane cares the players very much, thus, very popular amongst the players as well.

We have seen a few coaches who left the Tigers simply for money and other reasons, didn't care about their unfinished task or gave a damn about the Tigers (of course there is exception, i.e., Jamie). Thus, no point appointing a high profile coach as he might have other preferences over Tigers and does a "Pybus" job!

Now that we all know Shane has a keen interests and passions for our cricket, let's propose BCB to make Shane as our head coach.

By appointing Shen as head coach, Bangladesh could be a winner in different ways:

> As Tigers are known mentally vulnerable, here comes Shane's motivating factor
> He has passion for BD cricket, thus, would/might sacrifice personal interests
> BCB can save a lot of dollars compare to a high profile (useless) coach
> Tigers will get a long time year round coach who will be there to help

The money BCB will save by appointing Shane, appoint Saqlain as a permanent spin bowling coach, along with a batting coach who is technically solid, possess modern cricket knowledge yet has passions for Bangladesh cricket.

And, of course, establish a pace bowling academy and appoint Ian Pont as coach there.
__________________
> Start slow. Build a base. Then explode.
> I needed to perform so that I could give my countrymen an occasion to cherish and be proud of - Ice Man
> My photographs @ flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/obayedh/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old December 6, 2012, 08:29 PM
reyme's Avatar
reyme reyme is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Favorite Player: Umpires!
Posts: 3,978

Kalpurush Bhai, Not sure whethere I should cry or laugh.
In either case, I hope you were joking....
__________________
Golf is good, no umpire needed!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 6, 2012, 08:32 PM
reyme's Avatar
reyme reyme is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Favorite Player: Umpires!
Posts: 3,978

I would rather give the role to ICEMAN! He has all of the above qualities plus more.
On a serious note, give it to Dada or Akram. Dada might have an ego problem, but surely he is a lot smarter than the entire BD team management combined.
__________________
Golf is good, no umpire needed!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old December 6, 2012, 08:42 PM
kalpurush's Avatar
kalpurush kalpurush is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Location: Victoria: Heaven's Earth!
Posts: 17,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyme
Kalpurush Bhai, Not sure whethere I should cry or laugh.
In either case, I hope you were joking....
Well, I see it a bit different way!

We need a coach who could make the connection/communication between him and our players easily while in many occasions a high profile coach fails to do so.
__________________
> Start slow. Build a base. Then explode.
> I needed to perform so that I could give my countrymen an occasion to cherish and be proud of - Ice Man
> My photographs @ flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/obayedh/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 6, 2012, 08:44 PM
kalpurush's Avatar
kalpurush kalpurush is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Location: Victoria: Heaven's Earth!
Posts: 17,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyme
On a serious note, give it to Dada or Akram. Dada might have an ego problem, but surely he is a lot smarter than the entire BD team management combined.
Dada? Coach?


He rather looks promising as a TV commentator!
__________________
> Start slow. Build a base. Then explode.
> I needed to perform so that I could give my countrymen an occasion to cherish and be proud of - Ice Man
> My photographs @ flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/obayedh/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 6, 2012, 08:46 PM
NoName's Avatar
NoName NoName is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 9, 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 2,939

Dada would bench TI every game.
__________________
"Life is a dream from which we all must wake."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 6, 2012, 08:53 PM
Dilscoop Dilscoop is offline
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC
 
Join Date: March 22, 2010
Location: @Dilcommissioner
Posts: 10,791

Murrubbi dakar thread ar ki...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 6, 2012, 08:57 PM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,786

Actually I like the idea as long as they save money in HC, and spend money to get good specialized coaches.
__________________
Stop that “chudurbudur”
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 6, 2012, 09:27 PM
firstlane firstlane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 8, 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Murrubbi dakar thread ar ki...
haha. amio tai vabsi.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 6, 2012, 09:29 PM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 4,501

I kind of agree with KP bhai. Shane must not be very high profile but he possesses the ability to motivate the players.

And about making Dada the head coach? Now I dont know whether to laugh or cry. He talks a lot without much sense like many others.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old December 6, 2012, 10:24 PM
jeesh jeesh is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 4, 2005
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Posts: 2,158

Starting to believe in SJ. Well said kalpurush. This motivation, team spirit was missing during our Europe tour, and Sri Lanka under Richard Pybus.

Not sure the quality of our bowlers have improved under SJ, but the tigers are at least playing with a plan, some intent and fighting spirit. Confidence and the will to win is there. To some extent this is job of a head coach. He's been with our players for nearly 2 years, knows the system and is very down to earth. Appoint him as headcoach, make Saqlain permanent, and bring in a batting coach.

Also development must be done at HP Academy and Under 19, we shouldnt continue to rely on head coaches to teach basics and ABCD's. We have a brilliant coach in RM in HP. Now we need a very good Under 19 coach to complete the backroom team.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 6, 2012, 10:31 PM
AsifTheManRahman's Avatar
AsifTheManRahman AsifTheManRahman is offline
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 12, 2004
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Posts: 27,675

I support this motion wholeheartedly. I've been saying throughout that Shane is the right man for the job. His typically hands-off approach, albeit faulty on the surface, has been working. He needs time, along with Saqlain as spin bowling coach, to help the players gel together and fight the enemy as a unit. This year, we've seen the Asia Cup and we've seen the WI ODIs. In both cases, he has been one of the common factors in the coaching staff, which does prove his worth as the man doing most of the work behind the scenes.

Since he will be in charge of the pace bowling in addition to his HC responsibilities and Saqlain will take care of the spinners, I don't think it makes sense for someone like, say, Ian Pont to take up the bowling coach role. But given his love for Bangladesh and her cricket, it will be a pity if we don't utilize his services. As a level 3 coach, I'm sure he'll fit in fine as the assistant/batting coach, reporting to Shane (who has already had HC experience with a Test side), working his way up to the HC position gradually (although by the time Shane retires, it will likely be between him and Saqlain).

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 6, 2012, 10:41 PM
dark mage dark mage is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: July 22, 2009
Posts: 610

I wish we had Langer as our batting coach.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old December 6, 2012, 11:42 PM
patriot's Avatar
patriot patriot is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: October 7, 2006
Location: Glasgow,UK
Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal Khan
Posts: 1,231

Not yet convinced with SJ. I will change my mind if we win this series.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old December 6, 2012, 11:42 PM
al-Sagar's Avatar
al-Sagar al-Sagar is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: December 23, 2007
Location: The Quiet Place
Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose
Posts: 22,371

not all great batsmen are good coaches .... so i expect Dada is also not a good coach. i feel akash chopra is a better coach than dada but we dont need either of them
__________________
The OffStump
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old December 6, 2012, 11:52 PM
BengaliPagol's Avatar
BengaliPagol BengaliPagol is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 4, 2012
Location: Wagga Wagga, NSW
Favorite Player: Luka Modric
Posts: 5,382

I think Neil D'Costa is a worthy batting coach. I really think BCB should try to get him to work with the national team for a couple of months. He would really rectify Anamuls problem with foot movement. He is the man who moulded Michael Clarke to what he is today.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old December 7, 2012, 12:04 AM
Habib's Avatar
Habib Habib is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 30, 2007
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Favorite Player: A few
Posts: 7,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
Not yet convinced with SJ. I will change my mind if we win this series.
I won't change my mind even if we win the series. What is his contribution? He is supposed to be a bowling coach, but where is the improvement in our pacers? Their performance is free falling like Dhaka share market and the improvement that we see in the spinners can be attributed to Saqlain.
If being lovey dovey with our players can get him the HC role, so be it. However, I cannot really see what new he brings to the table. We need a HC who has passion for BD cricket but at the same time can be tough on the players when necessary. Now, if we can get someone like that or not is upto BCB.
__________________
Nevermind
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old December 7, 2012, 12:29 AM
Out_You_Go's Avatar
Out_You_Go Out_You_Go is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: October 3, 2011
Location: Earth!
Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib
Posts: 411

Agreed. Would support SJ as the HC. No need to go through the headache of finding high profile coaches , usually who tend to have other reasons for taking up the job.

What i have seen in WI series, the team has intent to win and not giving up easily. These factors will see through our team to become a powerhouse one day. Of course, it is just the beginning.

Keep him and make Saqlain permanent. And look for good, specialized batting coach.
__________________
Believe in Allah & have faith in your abilities - success then is a consequence..not an incident.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old December 7, 2012, 12:41 AM
jeesh jeesh is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 4, 2005
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Posts: 2,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
I won't change my mind even if we win the series. What is his contribution? He is supposed to be a bowling coach, but where is the improvement in our pacers? Their performance is free falling like Dhaka share market and the improvement that we see in the spinners can be attributed to Saqlain.
If being lovey dovey with our players can get him the HC role, so be it. However, I cannot really see what new he brings to the table. We need a HC who has passion for BD cricket but at the same time can be tough on the players when necessary. Now, if we can get someone like that or not is upto BCB.
Not much contribution as a bowling coach like you said. But the players seem to do well under him, more motivated, more confident. You could see the same effect during Asia Cup where SJ was an integral part of the coaching staff. Sometimes this is the best thing a head coach could bring to the table. The late Eddie Barlow was loved by players, administrators not because he brought in more technical competence than Greenidge or Whatmore. What separated him from the rest was his ability to instill self confidence, belief. He was a terrific motivator. What works best-a motivator or a task master? Very debatable, and hard to pintpoint the correct recipe for success. Whatever SJ is doing seems to be working and was evident in the tests and first 3 ODI's. Yes we have made the same old mistakes, but gradually with experience we should be able to overcome these.

Another thing to keep in mind. National team isnt the place to learn the basics. It should be more about tactics, match preparation etc. If we expect NT coaches to do the whole cricketing education we will always end up dissapointed. Thats why we have the A Team, HP and Under 19. We would be much better off with tougher coaches in these setups, so that the players which filter through to the NT are well groomed and disciplined. At the moment we have the perfect person in RM
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old December 7, 2012, 12:52 AM
Habib's Avatar
Habib Habib is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 30, 2007
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Favorite Player: A few
Posts: 7,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Not much contribution as a bowling coach like you said. But the players seem to do well under him, more motivated, more confident. You could see the same effect during Asia Cup where SJ was an integral part of the coaching staff. Sometimes this is the best thing a head coach could bring to the table. The late Eddie Barlow was loved by players, administrators not because he brought in more technical competence than Greenidge or Whatmore. What separated him from the rest was his ability to instill self confidence, belief. He was a terrific motivator. What works best-a motivator or a task master? Very debatable, and hard to pintpoint the correct recipe for success. Whatever SJ is doing seems to be working and was evident in the tests and first 3 ODI's. Yes we have made the same old mistakes, but gradually with experience we should be able to overcome these.

Another thing to keep in mind. National team isnt the place to learn the basics. It should be more about tactics, match preparation etc. If we expect NT coaches to do the whole cricketing education we will always end up dissapointed. Thats why we have the A Team, HP and Under 19. We would be much better off with tougher coaches in these setups, so that the players which filter through to the NT are well groomed and disciplined. At the moment we have the perfect person in RM
Perhaps you are right, but I think the recent good performance in ODIs at home happened because of the overall improvement in our batting and spin department. Jurgensen is just at the right place at the right time and now being credited for our good performance.
__________________
Nevermind
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old December 7, 2012, 01:09 AM
Maysun's Avatar
Maysun Maysun is offline
MLC World Series I
 
Join Date: April 11, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Posts: 5,892

Not long ago, we were asking for his head. Two matches under our belt and a motion to make him our permanent HC?

Let's not forget that he is first and foremost our bowling coach and should be scrutinized under that aspect as well. I will have him on for another couple of series as an interim HC and then decide.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old December 7, 2012, 02:22 AM
dark mage dark mage is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: July 22, 2009
Posts: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
I won't change my mind even if we win the series. What is his contribution? He is supposed to be a bowling coach, but where is the improvement in our pacers? Their performance is free falling like Dhaka share market and the improvement that we see in the spinners can be attributed to Saqlain.
If being lovey dovey with our players can get him the HC role, so be it. However, I cannot really see what new he brings to the table. We need a HC who has passion for BD cricket but at the same time can be tough on the players when necessary. Now, if we can get someone like that or not is upto BCB.
I totally agree.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old December 7, 2012, 02:33 AM
Ian Pont's Avatar
Ian Pont Ian Pont is offline
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach
 
Join Date: February 1, 2011
Posts: 1,353

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
Not long ago, we were asking for his head. Two matches under our belt and a motion to make him our permanent HC?
This kinda sums up the thread.

It is quite ridiculous to judge ANY head coach on results when they are inheriting a set up someone else implemented, good or bad. Law took a wait and see approach, Pybus didn't even wipe his face. The only person who has got to grips with the players has been Jamie Siddons in his 4 year stay. And when it came to it, Jamie Siddons lost his job because the 58 and 78 were too much to take as he was batting coach. The batsmen were just not improving.

I can tell you as a support coach that you have a huge role to play in your specialised department and any coach should be judged on this, as Jamie was.

Shane's time as bowling coach has been terribly disappointing. Even he would acknowledge that. Shane was also in charge of NZ bowling when they lost 4-0 on BD. In the past two seasons the BD pace attack, instead of getting better and being made secure, has just dropped away. In the national team he has virtually no one left to work with.

I like Shane as a bloke. Very nice guy. I can understand why he might be popular with the players as he most likely let's them do what they wish and is probably not allowed to change anything. It would be good to see in 6 months time if has been able to make a difference as interim HC and then assess if he is someone who can be a leader. I suspect Shane isn't leading, though, at this time as he won't have normal HC powers.
__________________
"One day I was thinking, 'Thank God Sehwag was not born in Bangladesh'. If he was, he would have forgotten how to play cricket" - Tamim Iqbal
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old December 7, 2012, 02:40 AM
BANFAN's Avatar
BANFAN BANFAN is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: March 26, 2007
Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam
Posts: 16,689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
This kinda sums up the thread.

It is quite ridiculous to judge ANY head coach on results when they are inheriting a set up someone else implemented, good or bad. Law took a wait and see approach, Pybus didn't even wipe his face. The only person who has got to grips with the players has been Jamie Siddons in his 4 year stay. And when it came to it, Jamie Siddons lost his job because the 58 and 78 were too much to take as he was batting coach. The batsmen were just not improving.

I can tell you as a support coach that you have a huge role to play in your specialised department and any coach should be judged on this, as Jamie was.

Shane's time as bowling coach has been terribly disappointing. Even he would acknowledge that. Shane was also in charge of NZ bowling when they lost 4-0 on BD. In the past two seasons the BD pace attack, instead of getting better and being made secure, has just dropped away. In the national team he has virtually no one left to work with.

I like Shane as a bloke. Very nice guy. I can understand why he might be popular with the players as he most likely let's them do what they wish and is probably not allowed to change anything. It would be good to see in 6 months time if has been able to make a difference as interim HC and then assess if he is someone who can be a leader. I suspect Shane isn't leading, though, at this time as he won't have normal HC powers.
Agree completely with you here....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old December 7, 2012, 02:46 AM
dark mage dark mage is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: July 22, 2009
Posts: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
This kinda sums up the thread.

It is quite ridiculous to judge ANY head coach on results when they are inheriting a set up someone else implemented, good or bad. Law took a wait and see approach, Pybus didn't even wipe his face. The only person who has got to grips with the players has been Jamie Siddons in his 4 year stay. And when it came to it, Jamie Siddons lost his job because the 58 and 78 were too much to take as he was batting coach. The batsmen were just not improving.

I can tell you as a support coach that you have a huge role to play in your specialised department and any coach should be judged on this, as Jamie was.

Shane's time as bowling coach has been terribly disappointing. Even he would acknowledge that. Shane was also in charge of NZ bowling when they lost 4-0 on BD. In the past two seasons the BD pace attack, instead of getting better and being made secure, has just dropped away. In the national team he has virtually no one left to work with.

I like Shane as a bloke. Very nice guy. I can understand why he might be popular with the players as he most likely let's them do what they wish and is probably not allowed to change anything. It would be good to see in 6 months time if has been able to make a difference as interim HC and then assess if he is someone who can be a leader. I suspect Shane isn't leading, though, at this time as he won't have normal HC powers.
Ditto! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket