facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Who will you pick in your test team?
Kallis 14 77.78%
Sachin 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old December 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
If the all-round aspect of Kallis can be ignored, from a purely batting point of view I would rate Sachin above Kallis. Sachin is a genius when it comes to batting and he is equally good in both long and short forms of the game. There is not a single shot he can't play... all kinds or sweep shots, hooks, pulls, uppercuts.. he nails every shot to perfection. These days his ability has deteriorated significantly but when he was at his prime against Wasim, Ambrose, Donald, Mcgrath, Warne and co. he had the ability to dominate attacks and dictate terms and look really good while doing it. To me a better debate would be between Lara and Tendulkar.

Kallis is a very capable and effective batsman and so is Cook. They will both be legends in their own right. Their stats might even be better than both Lara and Sachin but it's not the same when I watch Lara, Sachin bat and when I watch Kallis or Cook bat.

This is just from my own perspective but Tendulkar has been declared the best by the renowned cricketers as well:

Ricky Ponting:
'Punter' Ponting has rated Sachin Tendulkar the best batsmen of his generation, placing Tendulkar higher on the pecking order than the likes of Brian Lara, Matthew Hayden and the Waugh twins. Ponting freely admitted the diminutive batting maestro from Bombay had the ability to win any match off his own bat." I've always thought he's the best batsman I've seen or played against," said Ponting. "Looking at the way he's played of late I think he's getting somewhere back to his best again. As we've seen in the past, he's actually won games against us single-handedly on occasions."

Australian first-class cricketers:
India's Sachin Tendulkar and Australia's Glenn McGrath have been rated the best in the business in a survey of Australia's 145 first class players. Sixty eight percent of those questioned said Tendulkar was the world's best batsman ahead of Australian captain Steve Waugh (27 percent) and West Indian Brian Lara (three percent).

Steve Waugh:
"You take Don Bradman away and he (Sachin) is next up, I reckon."

Marlon Samuels:
"Sachin is the best batsman in the world. The way he lifts the team and the way he bats. Watching him play helps me in my batting."

Andy Flower:
"There's Sachin on one hand, and then there are the rest of us."

Glenn McGrath:
"For me, it's Tendulkar. Both are class acts (lara vs Tendul) but I am saying this because I have had more success against Lara than I have against Tendulkar. I think I have a fair idea of what Lara likes and doesn't like and I feel I can make his life at the crease very uncomfortable. He is vulnerable outside the off-stump early on and is not as tight as Tendulkar in defense. I would go for Tendulkar as the best in the world."


Only guy that has that kind of aura of genius about him right now is K. Pietersen
To be honest, out of all those player testimonials the only one that is "academic" is McGrath's. He gives actual reasons for his pick. Everyone else is picking based on sentiment, some of them aren't even true like Ponting saying that Tendulkar can win a match against anyone where the evidence points that he has choked against almost everyone. He's scored a boat load of runs and looked prettier than Alessandro Ambrosio while doing it, but often the context of losing the match or being a dead innings performance are overlooked by the media that BL bhai is talking about. Think of India's greatest win (Kolkata 2001) or when India needed him to fire most WC Finals 03 and 07 and then realize that Tendy didn't even play a role in any of those, just to name a few.

I haven't analyzed Kallis or Lara, but I would be super shocked to see if they were as irrelevant to their teams success as SRT has been.
__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old December 13, 2012, 06:42 PM
MyRoom MyRoom is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 17, 2012
Location: London, UK
Favorite Player: Shakib and Anamul
Posts: 866

Well one thing both of them share is a nice personality.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old December 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,761

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
lol, so discluding Zimbabwe and Bangladesh from tests means I am biased? Well ofcourse I am, it's my fault that Sachin averages lot less than Kallis when these two "test" teams are taken out.
Nope that's not the point. All i said was if you want to have a debate then frame the question in a way so that there is room for a debate. If you wanted to have a debate then why not simply ask who is the better Batsman Kallis or Tendulkar?
You didn't do that because you want to hear a particular answer. If we had the opportunity to pick a great all rounder vs a great batsman obviously we would pick a great all rounder because of his usefulness with the ball. Secondly confining it to test match only suggests you aren't sure whether you would be able to defend Kallis the ODI or T-20 batsman against Sachin in the shorter form. So as i said before you didn't have a genuine intention to have an honest debate in the first place and you are as biased as you accuse me of being.
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old December 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,761

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
To be honest, out of all those player testimonials the only one that is "academic" is McGrath's. He gives actual reasons for his pick. Everyone else is picking based on sentiment, some of them aren't even true like Ponting saying that Tendulkar can win a match against anyone where the evidence points that he has choked against almost everyone. He's scored a boat load of runs and looked prettier than Alessandro Ambrosio while doing it, but often the context of losing the match or being a dead innings performance are overlooked by the media that BL bhai is talking about. Think of India's greatest win (Kolkata 2001) or when India needed him to fire most WC Finals 03 and 07 and then realize that Tendy didn't even play a role in any of those, just to name a few.

I haven't analyzed Kallis or Lara, but I would be super shocked to see if they were as irrelevant to their teams success as SRT has been.
Whether you or I agree with what they are saying is irrelevant. Most of those players are great players and have had long international careers to know and understand what they are saying. Sentimental or not their opinion matters more than our opinion because they have played the game at the highest level with Tendulkar and it is safe to assume that they understand the game better than fans as well. Perhaps they are not as good in customizing stats-guru searches but I trust what they have to say about the game more regardless.
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old December 14, 2012, 05:12 AM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Whether you or I agree with what they are saying is irrelevant. Most of those players are great players and have had long international careers to know and understand what they are saying. Sentimental or not their opinion matters more than our opinion because they have played the game at the highest level with Tendulkar and it is safe to assume that they understand the game better than fans as well. Perhaps they are not as good in customizing stats-guru searches but I trust what they have to say about the game more regardless.
Thats a fallacious (?) line of argument. Einstein was a brilliant physicist and therefore everything he said about physics must be true. Cricketers, it may be argued, may be even more prone to media hype than fans. These cricketers are just as aware as we are of Tendulkar's status and there is every reason to believe that can confound perception. Obviously these players were asked about SRT specifically and neither do they represent all the great players who ever faced him and nor would they say anything but flattering things. Murali is quoted as saying he had far more trouble with Lara. Another great bowler - can't remember his name might have been Shaun Pollock - actually mentioned a unheralded lower order batsman as being the toughest guy to bowl to over the likes of Lara, SRT, and others.

Cricketers also get a better look than fans at his superior technique, range of stroke play, and aestheticism and that also plays a part. In almost every junction of a major match situation, SRT has choked. Everyone remembers that valiant innings against Pakistan when his teamates all fell and that epic 4th innings chase against England in 2008 because those were so rare.
__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old December 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
zsayeed zsayeed is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 4,908

Kallis won the match for SA 23/158 times, and Tendulkar 14/194 times. For series, 9 and 5 respectively.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...nd;view=awards
__________________
I Want to Believe
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old December 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
BANFAN's Avatar
BANFAN BANFAN is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: March 26, 2007
Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam
Posts: 16,689

A Fan can say the truth in Public, a player generally can't say the unpleasant truth....and you can take the risk of saying anything to Lara, but saying bad about the god...? Impossible...you invite punishment not only for you, even may be for your board or fellow players.......
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old December 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 4,374

Sir Brian Charles Lara ----- the legend of the legends. I would be glued to the television when he used to bat.

On topic - Sachin is a better batsmen. Almost a perfect batsmen when you bring in all textbook stuff. Kallis is the better overall and more useful player. But the comparison doesn't go as one is a genuine batsmen while other the greatest current AR.

Lara and Sachin would be better comparison.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old December 14, 2012, 11:20 AM
zsayeed zsayeed is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 4,908

Lara - 12/134 ; Tendu - 14/194 Match winning MoMs.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...nd;view=awards
__________________
I Want to Believe
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old December 14, 2012, 01:49 PM
Navo's Avatar
Navo Navo is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan
Posts: 3,515

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
I don't know why you have to so passionately defend him.. you are acting as if people on this forum are all biased fools and that's why they are picking Kallis. More people feel Sachin is better because main cricket websites and channels are all owned by Indians.. you will not find anyone hyping Kallis to be greater than Sachin regardless of the facts.
And I am uncertain why you (and some others) are so passionately trying to demean his achievements or trying to play up some sort of Indian conspiracy.

Would you say that the UK's Telegraph was also an 'Indian agent'? Let's look at what they had to say about Tendulkar:

Sachin Tendulkar's five greatest innings
Sachin Tendulkar has become the most prolific run-scorer in the history of Test cricket. Here are five highlights from the Little Master's Test career.

1) 119 not out, England v India, Old Trafford, 1990.
In England, this series will always be remembered for Graham Gooch's 333 in the first Test at Lord's. But that was not the only remarkable batting feat of the summer. For a 17-year-old playing in alien conditions, and under the most intense pressure, Tendulkar's century at Old Trafford was arguably even more impressive than Gooch's achievement. India were struggling to avoid defeat on the final day at 127 for five, but Tendulkar batted for four hours with the tail to guide his side to safety. It was his first Test century, and confirmed the arrival of a special talent.

2) 114, Australia v India, Perth, 1992.
Back in the days before Perth became just another batting track, Australia's quick men would start salivating as soon as their plane crossed into Western Australia. In 1992, the WACA was as its most lethal, but Tendulkar's innings of 114 brought Craig McDermott and Merv Hughes to their knees. With wickets tumbling at the other end, Tendulkar, still only 19, met the challenge head on. The Australian public have loved him ever since.

3) 169, South Africa v India, Cape Town, 1997.
Another epic counter-attack in hostile conditions. South Africa racked up 529 in the first innings before their stellar seam attack reduced the tourists to 58 for five. Tendulkar, then approaching his peak, wasted no time in taking the fight back to the Proteas. In partnership with Mohammad Azharuddin, Tendulkar hit 26 boundaries in his century, almost all of them absolute crackers.

4) 155 not out, India v Australia, Chennai, 1998
Many of Tendulkar's finest innings were played outside of India, or in a losing cause. But his greatest series came at home, against the world's best team, and ended in a glorious victory. With Shane Warne bowling around the wicket and into the rough, Tendulkar used his eye, his feet and his innovative stroke play to destroy the greatest slow bowler in history. Warne would later admit Tendulkar's fireworks left him clueless and the Australian named Tendulkar as No 1 in his list of 50 greatest cricketers.

5) 136 v India v Pakistan, Chennai 1999.
India were set an unlikely 271 for victory, which seemed impossible when they collapsed to 82 for five. Chronically hampered by a back injury, Tendulkar stood firm and refused to accept defeat. Through dogged will and astonishing skill, he coaxed India close to the winning line before falling to Saqlain Mushtaq. Tendulkar's wicket prompted an Indian collapse, and another superhuman effort ultimately ended in defeat.

Source

This, mind you, is just in Tests. The moniker 'Choke-dulkar' hardly seems appropriate now does it? That brings me back to the point that I was making that at his best - which he is far from now - there was good reason why everyone thought he was the best in the world.
__________________
thebarnecessities.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old December 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
BrianLara7's Avatar
BrianLara7 BrianLara7 is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 6, 2012
Posts: 547

lol, seems like we also got some bhagwan bhakts over here too. Saying Sachin is better than Kallis in tests is one thing (however wrong it is) but trying to "prove" Sachin is not Chokedulkar is just LOL. Even Indians fans (knowledgeable) ones don't rate him as a match winner ahead of Dravid/ Laxman.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old December 14, 2012, 05:37 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,419

Navo its not about the telegraph being an Indian agent. Its about something being repeated so that everyone believes it...the telegraph really does believe that Tendy is some demi-god.

5 innings (and you could probably add another 10 or 15 more) are hardly amazing in a career spanning 300+ innings. I'm sure batsman like Laxman and Ponting, perhaps even Dravid could easily match that. But they don't get the attention because they didn't start when they were 16, don't have the eye-catching stroke play, and don't have the cult status.
__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old December 14, 2012, 06:32 PM
BrianLara7's Avatar
BrianLara7 BrianLara7 is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 6, 2012
Posts: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Navo its not about the telegraph being an Indian agent. Its about something being repeated so that everyone believes it...the telegraph really does believe that Tendy is some demi-god.

5 innings (and you could probably add another 10 or 15 more) are hardly amazing in a career spanning 300+ innings. I'm sure batsman like Laxman and Ponting, perhaps even Dravid could easily match that. But they don't get the attention because they didn't start when they were 16, don't have the eye-catching stroke play, and don't have the cult status.
Tendulkar's cult following and the fact that he is a money machine (for websites, newspapers, bcci, news channels etc) doesn't hurt either. Every single Indian commentator (and plenty foreign ones) rarely utter a single word against him while they would jump on the failures of Ponting/ Kallis and trumphet Tendulkar.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old December 14, 2012, 06:53 PM
Navo's Avatar
Navo Navo is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan
Posts: 3,515

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
lol, seems like we also got some bhagwan bhakts over here too. Saying Sachin is better than Kallis in tests is one thing (however wrong it is) but trying to "prove" Sachin is not Chokedulkar is just LOL. Even Indians fans (knowledgeable) ones don't rate him as a match winner ahead of Dravid/ Laxman.
To both Al_furqaan and BrianLara7, I felt compelled to comment as I felt people were being unduly harsh in their criticism. I never said that he was necessarily better in a tough spot that Laxman or Dravid. (Coincidentally my first post in this thread indicated that I would choose Laxman over both Kallis and Tendulkar if the match was against Australia.)

I, in fact, made no comparison with anyone. I merely stated that there is substantial evidence indicating that Tendulkar, at his best, was not a choker. (Whether he should continue to play now that he is past his best is another matter entirely.) The evidence that I have provided above is just from Tests and as we all know his impact on ODIs for India in the '90s and the early 2000s is even greater - which altogether influences other players' impressions of him. (Who was the first to get to 200 again?) There's a reason why other international players rate him so highly, even more than his colleagues Laxman, Dravid, Ganguly & co. and its not just his bushel of runs and attractive stroke play. The Telegraph is also certainly not a paper that tends to praise players easily or effusively (as we have come to discover through Scyld Berry's articles) We have to consider all of this when reflecting on a player's achievements and failures - not just cold stats.

And BrianLara7, since when is "Indian (knowledgeable) fan opinion" considered concrete, non-refutable evidence? If we go by their opinion that he isn't a match winner, then surely we also must also abide by the popular opinion in many parts that Jacques Kallis is a 'selfish' batsman who merely seeks to inflate his stats and 'never really dominated the game' (Ian Chappell)? I think these allegations are preposterous.

I think both are great batsmen and would try my best to fit them both in my All Time XI. I also actually agree with your assessment that overall, he'd be considered a better cricketer than Tendulkar - but that still doesn't diminish Tendulkar's accomplishments as a batsman or the fact that he has bailed out India in the past, in all forms of the game.
__________________
thebarnecessities.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old December 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,419

I have never doubted his ODI stature. Id rate him as the best after Viv and given the quality of bowlers he faced probably equal to the Vivster
__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old December 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
BrianLara7's Avatar
BrianLara7 BrianLara7 is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 6, 2012
Posts: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
I have never doubted his ODI stature. Id rate him as the best after Viv and given the quality of bowlers he faced probably equal to the Vivster
Epic failures in World cup finals 2003, 2011. He is a monstrous run scorer (in both formats), but a great match winner he is not.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old December 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,365

depends if you're picking on talent and enjoyment of watching or purely on result. if you're going for result then obviously the man with the greater ouput is the better pick, the one who has got his team out of the most jams in those tough situations. i think kallis gets a bit overlooked because people see him more of a slower batsman but if you watch him play you'll see he's got some of the best cover drives you'll have ever seen and is so in control of them it's ridiculous, almost like he's batting against school boys. also depends if it's a one-off match or a series or a team touring for a year...maybe you'd take tendulkar in a one-off match, for a tour or longer maybe kallis...
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old December 14, 2012, 08:32 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,365

just looked up statsguru and in matches won kallis has a 64.98 average and tendulkar has a 64.43 so really not much difference when the team wins.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old December 14, 2012, 10:02 PM
zsayeed zsayeed is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 4,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
just looked up statsguru and in matches won kallis has a 64.98 average and tendulkar has a 64.43 so really not much difference when the team wins.
Yes, but that set contains only 66 matches out of 194 matches played by tendulkar and 76 out of 134 for kallis. kallis has contributed more to his team's wins.
__________________
I Want to Believe
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old December 14, 2012, 10:30 PM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,761

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Yes, but that set contains only 66 matches out of 194 matches played by tendulkar and 76 out of 134 for kallis. kallis has contributed more to his team's wins.
this is a very old argument actually... remember Tendulkar and Ganguly carried a pretty crappy team on their shoulders for a decade. Fifties from Tendulkar were not enough..he basically needed to seal the game off himself. There were many matches where both of them took matches close only to see the rest of the batting collapse under pressure which is a bit like what happens to Shakib these days. He fought many lone battles which went in vain because the team couldn't back up the performance. Kallis on the other hand never had to carry the team. He had good players surrounding him both with the bat and ball throughout his career.
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old December 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
zsayeed zsayeed is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 4,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
this is a very old argument actually... remember Tendulkar and Ganguly carried a pretty crappy team on their shoulders for a decade. Fifties from Tendulkar were not enough..he basically needed to seal the game off himself. There were many matches where both of them took matches close only to see the rest of the batting collapse under pressure which is a bit like what happens to Shakib these days. He fought many lone battles which went in vain because the team couldn't back up the performance. Kallis on the other hand never had to carry the team. He had good players surrounding him both with the bat and ball throughout his career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Kallis won the match for SA 23/158 times, and Tendulkar 14/194 times. For series, 9 and 5 respectively.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...nd;view=awards
your logic may explain the number of MoMs as well perhaps. MoMs probably go to winning team 90% of the time. Perhaps. but no it doesn't explain.

but upon a rethink, of kallis's team's 76 wins Kaliis was MoM 23 times, while tendulkar 14/66. therefore, it does not explain.
thats 30% for kallis vs 20% for tendulkar.

Kallis was kicking b..tt for his team's wins.
__________________
I Want to Believe
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old December 15, 2012, 01:28 AM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Epic failures in World cup finals 2003, 2011. He is a monstrous run scorer (in both formats), but a great match winner he is not.
2 WC finals failures is not enough to indict on its own. And I don't have the time to sift through 500 ODIs to figure out if he's a choker who scores barge-loads of irrelevant runs or not.

That said when I did do some research - arbitrary as all studies are - a while back and when I'm done with the Lara and Kallis portions, I'll post the findings. It might actually support Tendulkar's case.
__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old December 15, 2012, 02:31 AM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,761

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
your logic may explain the number of MoMs as well perhaps. MoMs probably go to winning team 90% of the time. Perhaps. but no it doesn't explain.

but upon a rethink, of kallis's team's 76 wins Kaliis was MoM 23 times, while tendulkar 14/66. therefore, it does not explain.
thats 30% for kallis vs 20% for tendulkar.

Kallis was kicking b..tt for his team's wins.
Well Kallis is a great bowler as well so being an all rounder he has a much better chance of getting mom compared to someone solely depending on runs and not wickets.
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old December 16, 2012, 02:10 AM
World Champs World Champs is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 22, 2012
Location: India
Favorite Player: virat kohli
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
your logic may explain the number of MoMs as well perhaps. MoMs probably go to winning team 90% of the time. Perhaps. but no it doesn't explain.

but upon a rethink, of kallis's team's 76 wins Kaliis was MoM 23 times, while tendulkar 14/66. therefore, it does not explain.
thats 30% for kallis vs 20% for tendulkar.

Kallis was kicking b..tt for his team's wins.
Kallis had bowlers like steyn, donald and pollock in his team and won more. India on the other hand didn't had the bowlers of this caliber. Its a team game after all. I don't think Kallis would have won these games with an bowling attack comprising of agarkar, Prasad etc.

I agree with everyone on Kallis is a better overall cricketer, but when it comes to batting I would rate him just slighlty behind Sachin or Ponting or Lara. These guys has scored more against better bowling attacks. India used to be just like 1 man team in the 90's. Everyone knew that if you get Sachin out, India will/can fold out cheaply. But this was not the case with Kallis. So you can imagine the pressure that Sachin had carried every form of the game.

People can have their opinion but It doesn't look good when you try to bash one great player in order to prove that other is better.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old December 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
Dilscoop Dilscoop is offline
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC
 
Join Date: March 22, 2010
Location: @Dilcommissioner
Posts: 10,761

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Champs
Kallis had bowlers like steyn, donald and pollock in his team and won more. India on the other hand didn't had the bowlers of this caliber. Its a team game after all. I don't think Kallis would have won these games with an bowling attack comprising of agarkar, Prasad etc.
In that case, Kallis didn't have David, Laxman etc saving his choking butt in every other test. Tendulkar had all the luxury in the world to bat with some of the most solid batsmen in the world.

I don't like it when people use player's teammates to lower their accomplishments. That's not valid in my book.
__________________
Always doing Zeeshan's threads a favor.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket