facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 11, 2013, 03:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

Does freedom of speech not apply to those atheist bloggers who were accused of 'hurting religious sentiment'?

I believe the arrest of this amardesh editor however late, was very much justified as his smear campaigning and fabrication lead to political unrest, secterian violence and deaths of innocent civillians as well as continuous shut down of the country. Is arresting him on these grounds still an infringement of his 'freedom of speech'?
Old April 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

What Mr. Mahumudur did is nothing but a violation of work ethics. As an editor of a newspaper, you are free to give your opinion and views, but that no way give him free pass to publish fabricated, photoshopped pictures to provoke one group over another. Its a crime. If he had published only one side of the story then you might argue violation of 'freedom of speech' but producing false and photoshopping one picture to another, creating false blog to another's name and claiming him an 'atheist' is whole different issue.

Old April 11, 2013, 10:29 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

The news paper can be sued for publishing fabricated news. There is an institutional framework within the press to punish such yellow journalism. It has become a norm for governments to arrest people first and then make up the case later. People who actually bothered to read news would know that Mahmdudur Rahman was arrested based on a completely different matter. He was arrested based on almost a year old case for publishing the Skype conversation of the ICT judges which ultimately caused the judge to resign. The other two cases are about assaulting police and vandalizing police vehicles filed last month.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
The news paper can be sued for publishing fabricated news. There is an institutional framework within the press to punish such yellow journalism. It has become a norm for governments to arrest people first and then make up the case later. People who actually bothered to read news would know that Mahmdudur Rahman was arrested based on a completely different matter. He was arrested based on almost a year old case for publishing the Skype conversation of the ICT judges which ultimately caused the judge to resign. The other two cases are about assaulting police and vandalizing police vehicles filed last month.
Totally agree. We have enough law and regulations in place but no one including Govt seems to oblige those. No doubt Mahmudur did heinous job but the govt could have followed the proper process of the law. Everything in our country happens other way around. Govt could have filed charges before for his derogatory and fabricated news and then arrest him with proper warrant issue. That would make more sense than arresting him for assaulting police and vandalizing police vehicle. I guess, govt also did not want to put him behind the bar for serious matter, rather for a silly matter so that he can get out easily from Jail. Who knows, how much money is involved between 'Amardesh' and Govt. At the end, its all part of politics game.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Totally agree. We have enough law and regulations in place but no one including Govt seems to oblige those. No doubt Mahmudur did heinous job but the govt could have followed the proper process of the law. Everything in our country happens other way around. Govt could have filed charges before for his derogatory and fabricated news and then arrest him with proper warrant issue. That would make more sense than arresting him for assaulting police and vandalizing police vehicle. I guess, govt also did not want to put him behind the bar for serious matter, rather for a silly matter so that he can get out easily from Jail. Who knows, how much money is involved between 'Amardesh' and Govt. At the end, its all part of politics game.
Good observation. What we need improvement of process (implementation of rule of law), not politically divisive actions. If the govt filed cases against him for yellow journalism very few would have protested this action. In a way, the chain of events are rewarding him for being provocative as he will definitely be rewarded when BNP comes to power.

This is a problem with our global culture. By being reasonable you cannot get the headline, but by being provocative you can make a name for yourself.
Old April 12, 2013, 12:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Its an insult to top leaders when their party leader does not trust them. What sort of indication is that for us ? When party leader is concerned that her top leaders may leak info to others then how can we general people trust on them too ? If she really doubts her leaders then only seizing cell phones won't prevent them from leaking info, there are many other ways of doing it if they really want to do so.

Quote:
Khaleda seizes cell phones

BNP leaders at meeting feel embarrassed

In a surprise move, BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia collected the cell phones of her senior party colleagues during a party meeting on Wednesday night and returned those to them only after the meeting was over.

The move is seen as an extreme measure to “prevent the meeting discussions from being leaked” to the media.Nine members of the standing committee, the highest policymaking body of the BNP, attended the meeting at Khaleda’s Gulshan office in the capital with the party chief in the chair.

Sources told The Daily Star that a number of standing committee members opposed the BNP chief’s move.

“Madam, are you suspecting us?” a BNP source quoted a standing committee member as asking Khaleda.

In reply, the source added, Khaleda said: “Every detail of the meeting is leaked. So, you all deposit your phone sets.”

Another member of the national standing committee then said, “I can challenge that nothing was leaked from my phone.”

Some other members supported him, the source said, adding: “But the chairperson was not convinced. She was determined to take the phones.”

According to the source, Khaleda ordered two junior leaders to collect the cell phones from the standing committee members, who had the phones returned to them after the meeting.

“This is real humiliation. It is a question of our integrity. The incident proved the chairperson’s lack of trust in us,” an annoyed standing committee member told The Daily Star yesterday, wishing anonymity.

Read more
Old April 12, 2013, 02:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Its an insult to top leaders when their party leader does not trust them. What sort of indication is that for us ? When party leader is concerned that her top leaders may leak info to others then how can we general people trust on them too ? If she really doubts her leaders then only seizing cell phones won't prevent them from leaking info, there are many other ways of doing it if they really want to do so.
I think the concern is more based on spying via cell phone (the number of leaked phone conversion is alarming). I think she trust those leaders, otherwise they would not have been at that meeting.
Old April 12, 2013, 10:37 AM
Cricket Legend

^Bangladeshey shunlam FBI team ashchey kina.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Ignore First 2/3 minutes due to back ground noise.... Interesting for those who has patience. Obaidul Quader, one of the cleaner politicians of Bangladesh Awami League Bechara has been trapped by some crook I guess. but the conversation is quiet revealing. General Picture of BD Governments. It's coming from a Minister, so isn't baseless:

FULL VIDEO

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=e6mZv...%3De6mZvKVbiJs

Or try this: http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=e6mZvKV...%3De6mZvKVbiJs
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71

Last edited by BANFAN; April 12, 2013 at 09:01 PM..
Old April 12, 2013, 07:35 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

^^^ cant watch the video
Old April 12, 2013, 07:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
This is a joke..Hasina is forgetting that nothing last forever and our political culture is all about revenge.

I can see editors of banglanews, Prothom alo, banglar bani will go through what this guy is going through now. And those who are in favor of this arrest will wonder what happened to freedom of speech. What a joke..
But Hasina doesn't think so. Her Goendas are giving her assurance; Madam Shahbag, ICT, Arrest, Propaganda shob milaye ja korsi amara; Tate Amar hishabe to a gami election e amra aro 10 seat beshi Pabo.

And She gives an "Akorno Bistriti" smile to approve that and triptir dhekur tule, Early office Tayeg Koren...and that's the picture of every PM/President in power....
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old April 12, 2013, 07:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
^^^ cant watch the video
Why, I tried again and it works. I have pasted the link bellow too.
Old April 12, 2013, 08:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Ignore First 2/3 minutes due to back ground noise.... Interesting for those who has patience. Obaidul Quader, one of the cleaner politicians of Bangladesh Awami League Bechara has been trapped by some crook I guess. but the conversation is quiet revealing. General Picture of BD Governments. It's coming from a Minister, so isn't baseless:

FULL VIDEO

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=e6mZv...%3De6mZvKVbiJs

Or try this: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=e6mZv...%3De6mZvKVbiJs
I have a feeling that this was made during the last caretaker rule. There must be a reason for releasing these tapes now.

The sound quality is bad, so it is hard to follow the conversation. i would like to a transcript of this video.

I was having trouble opening the link, it worked after I removed "m." from the beginning of the link.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
I have a feeling that this was made during the last caretaker rule. There must be a reason for releasing these tapes now.

The sound quality is bad, so it is hard to follow the conversation. i would like to a transcript of this video.

I was having trouble opening the link, it worked after I removed "m." from the beginning of the link.
It was very clear with headphone. Ya I also felt, it was made during the CTG

I removed m from one of the links...don't know if it will work, can't check.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:25 PM
Cricket Legend

This link works:
http://youtu.be/e6mZvKVbiJs

This is definitely from the last caretaker regime. The timing of releasing these tapes is definitely a cause for concern for me.

The best quote for me regarding 2006 caretaker movement "jail khana te ase amra nijeder modhey onek alap alochona korechi, eita jodi agey kortam tahole bhalo hoto".

PS: The audio does get better at the end of the tape.
Old April 13, 2013, 12:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Here we go again...

http://www.nowbd.com/ittefaq/2013/04/13/13001.htm
Old April 13, 2013, 12:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Kecho khujte jeye shaap na ber hoye pore !

Old April 13, 2013, 12:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Bravo.We need more people like him to save our country from dirty politics.

Old April 13, 2013, 12:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Thanks for the share Naimul. Love watching vids like this. I'm thirsty, gonna get a sprite, and then come back and watch it again on replay.
Old April 13, 2013, 12:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Thanks for the share Naimul. Love watching vids like this. I'm thirsty, gonna get a sprite, and then come back and watch it again on replay.
no problem mate. get your sprite, fanta, coke whatever you have in your fridge. I am sure you're gonna play those again and again !!
Old April 13, 2013, 12:24 AM
Cricket Guru

BTW, did anyone watch this ? Abdul Jalil's (late) the former party president of Bangladesh Awami League (BAL), confession in Army confession room.

Old April 13, 2013, 12:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
Does freedom of speech not apply to those atheist bloggers who were accused of 'hurting religious sentiment'?

I believe the arrest of this amardesh editor however late, was very much justified as his smear campaigning and fabrication lead to political unrest, secterian violence and deaths of innocent civillians as well as continuous shut down of the country. Is arresting him on these grounds still an infringement of his 'freedom of speech'?
I'm with ye.
Old April 13, 2013, 12:38 AM
Cricket Legend

http://www.nowbd.com/bhorerkagoj/2013/04/13/16833.htm
Old April 13, 2013, 12:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
BTW, did anyone watch this ? Abdul Jalil's (late) the former party president of Bangladesh Awami League (BAL), confession in Army confession room.

thanks for sharing this. What I understand is that BNP is essentially following the same playbook by creating anarchy to topple the govt (without MP defection)!

There is something really dark about people giving confession under blindfold.
Old April 13, 2013, 03:28 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib,Viru

Freedom of speech in the constitution of Bangladesh:

39 (1) Freedom of thought and conscience is guaranteed. Freedom of thought and conscience, and of speech
39 (2) Subject to any reasonable restrictions imposed by law in the interests of the security of the State, friendly relations with foreign states, public order, decency or morality, or in relation to contempt of court, defamation or incitement to an offense-(a) the right of every citizen of freedom of speech and expression;
(b) freedom of the press, are guaranteed

While Article 39 addresses freedom of the press, Article 43 provides protection of privacy to the citizen.

A simple look into the points of the constitutional authority vividly frames how the freedom is shackled. The very first valid question can be asked like, what is the use of freedom of speech and conscience, if nobody is allowed to express his conscience thought freely. More importantly this pre condition of freedom of speech is also available in constitution of Islamic republic of Pakistan-the state Bangladesh broke away from in 1971.Actually the very word ‘subject to reasonable restrictions’ makes the sketch where the authority can intervene in the rights and freedom.

Since the authority can put the ‘reasonable’ restrictions, there is no guarantee to the freedom. History repeats the arbitrary powers always loom to establish supreme authority. If anything goes against the authority, that specific case could be labeled as ‘reasonable’ and could be restricted without much difficulty since the constitution itself guarantees the rights to ‘restrict’.

The most serious case of the concern is that the approach of restriction is not mentioned in the constitution. So the authority gets the opportunity to define the ‘reasonable’ ways of ‘restriction’. As the fourth pillar of the state press is pressed here and other three pillars, the executive branch, parliament and the judiciary can exercise their supreme authority without check and balance.

The fourth pillar of the state, the press, in the constitution of Bangladesh is not only ignored but also subjected to face the suppression of the constitutional pillar.
Source: Lawyers and judiciary site, Google book.