facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 16, 2013, 06:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Luka Modric

Very sad to see how Western media are barely reporting the bombing in Afghanistan. Western media are just trying to cover it. The bombing on their wedding day as well
Old April 16, 2013, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Very sad to see how Western media are barely reporting the bombing in Afghanistan. Western media are just trying to cover it. The bombing on their wedding day as well
That was a news item posted with an ulterior motive. Have you wondered why no one else is reporting that event? Did you click through the link and see when this incident happen? And then ask what was the motive for inserting a decade old news in this thread about another tragedy where an 8 year old was among those who were killed? By associating these two items, perhaps Naimul has already decided who are the guilty party in this instance.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
That was a news item posted with an ulterior motive. Have you wondered why no one else is reporting that event? Did you click through the link and see when this incident happen? And then ask what was the motive for inserting a decade old news in this thread about another tragedy where an 8 year old was among those who were killed? By associating these two items, perhaps Naimul has already decided who are the guilty party in this instance.
Frakkkk, did not see that afgan wedding bombing was a year ago. My apology, i got fooled by my uni professor. I better let him know too. Thanks.

Edit: already removed that news.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I actually heard on the news that in Iraq or Afghanistan dozens were injured or died. I couldn't remember and i thought it was the link that Naimul bhai put up. It's about another bombing in Iraq.

EDIT: this is the news i was talking about... i guess its a daily occurance in Iraq or something?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-1...re-200/4630608
Old April 16, 2013, 08:29 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

May the perpetrator/criminal/murderer(s) burn in hell and here on earth!

May the Lord above give all the victims of this cowardly crime eternal peace (like my dear Rifat said).
Old April 16, 2013, 08:39 AM
First Class Cricketer

Tragic - not because 3 people died, but because of how they died - and to make things worse, the race this year was dedicated to the victims of Sandy Hooks Elementary.

Such a senseless and cowardly act
Old April 16, 2013, 08:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

FBI reputes earlier reports that authorities disposed of un-detonated bombs.
Old April 16, 2013, 08:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Tragic and sad day. Condolences to the family of the victims. The security has been intensified in the Northeast.

And don't equate this tragedy with other Afg/Iraq tragedies. One does not justify the another.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:06 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Most Islamist terrorists would have claimed credit for this by now.
Or maybe the saw what happened to Osama and with Obama so eager to use drones, maybe they thought keeping a low profile was the smart option.

*This is of course speculation, it could very easily be right wing nut job wanting to kill nasty liberals in Boston
Old April 16, 2013, 09:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

‘Please don’t be a Muslim’: Boston marathon blasts draw condemnation and dread in Muslim world

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-muslim-world/
Old April 16, 2013, 01:37 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni_uk
This is not the girl who died but its a boy named Martin Richard. Read any news source.
Yesterday it was all over every social media.
Old April 16, 2013, 01:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Frakkkk, did not see that afgan wedding bombing was a year ago. My apology, i got fooled by my uni professor. I better let him know too. Thanks.

Edit: already removed that news.
1 July 2002

almost 11 years.
Old April 16, 2013, 01:43 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Old April 16, 2013, 04:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Official's said the Saudi guy was just a spectator, apparently he was at the "Wrong place at the wrong time". So rest of the people there weren't at the wrong place at the wrong time? Someone chased him down because they saw him running away from the scene of the explosion. No $hit, he was running away from the scene, he has to save his life too just like everyone else. I can't believe without having any real proof they would label someone as a "Suspect", just because of his background. They want to question/interview him that's perfectly fine, I'm sure they questioned all 180+ people that were injured and other people that were there, but do they really have to highlight the fact that he is from "Saudi", and start calling him a suspect.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:23 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Please post it in FB Ajfar so that I can share it..
Old April 16, 2013, 05:17 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Anyone know where they'd planted the bomb and stuff? I'm looking for a detailed report. I still don't know the details.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Anyone know where they'd planted the bomb and stuff? I'm looking for a detailed report. I still don't know the details.
It's still an ongoing investigation. So far from what I heard/read, the bombs were placed in a trash can inside a backpack. The bombs were built with pressure cookers filled with explosives. One news channel said some official told them a timer was used to set off the bomb.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:33 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Watching Katie, they are going over the details of the bombs.
Old April 16, 2013, 06:49 PM
Cricket Legend

this is very sad
Old April 16, 2013, 08:15 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

3 innocent people died, over 200 critically injured by a random act of terrorism! **** like that may be normal everywhere else, but not here.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:45 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Alright guys,

I see this room has heated up quite quickly. Please refrain from any personal attacks and stick to the topic. Removed few messages as they have no relevance to the thread.

-Mod
Old April 17, 2013, 12:15 AM
First Class Cricketer

www.salon.com - seriously it is brilliant if you want to catch up on US News, and has some brilliant investigative reports.

Quote:
WEDNESDAY, APR 17, 2013 05:24 AM CAST
Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American
There is a double standard: White terrorists are dealt with as lone wolves, Islamists are existential threats
BY DAVID SIROTA

Timothy McVeigh, Osama Bin Laden(Credit: AP/David Longstreath)

As we now move into the official Political Aftermath period of the Boston bombing — the period that will determine the long-term legislative fallout of the atrocity — the dynamics of privilege will undoubtedly influence the nation’s collective reaction to the attacks. That’s because privilege tends to determine: 1) which groups are — and are not — collectively denigrated or targeted for the unlawful actions of individuals; and 2) how big and politically game-changing the overall reaction ends up being.

This has been most obvious in the context of recent mass shootings. In those awful episodes, a religious or ethnic minority group lacking such privilege would likely be collectively slandered and/or targeted with surveillance or profiling (or worse) if some of its individuals comprised most of the mass shooters. However, white male privilege means white men are not collectively denigrated/targeted for those shootings — even though most come at the hands of white dudes.

Likewise, in the context of terrorist attacks, such privilege means white non-Islamic terrorists are typically portrayed not as representative of whole groups or ideologies, but as “lone wolf” threats to be dealt with as isolated law enforcement matters. Meanwhile, non-white or developing-world terrorism suspects are often reflexively portrayed as representative of larger conspiracies, ideologies and religions that must be dealt with as systemic threats — the kind potentially requiring everything from law enforcement action to military operations to civil liberties legislation to foreign policy shifts.

“White privilege is knowing that even if the bomber turns out to be white, no one will call for your group to be profiled as terrorists as a result, subjected to special screening or threatened with deportation,” writes author Tim Wise. “White privilege is knowing that if this bomber turns out to be white, the United States government will not bomb whatever corn field or mountain town or stale suburb from which said bomber came, just to ensure that others like him or her don’t get any ideas. And if he turns out to be a member of the Irish Republican Army we won’t bomb Dublin. And if he’s an Italian-American Catholic we won’t bomb the Vatican.”

Because of these undeniable and pervasive double standards, the specific identity of the Boston Marathon bomber (or bombers) is not some minor detail — it will almost certainly dictate what kind of governmental, political and societal response we see in the coming weeks. That means regardless of your particular party affiliation, if you care about everything from stopping war to reducing the defense budget to protecting civil liberties to passing immigration reform, you should hope the bomber was a white domestic terrorist. Why? Because only in that case will privilege work to prevent the Boston attack from potentially undermining progress on those other issues.

To know that’s true is to simply consider how America reacts to different kinds of terrorism.

Though FBI data show fewer terrorist plots involving Muslims than terrorist plots involving non-Muslims, America has mobilized a full-on war effort exclusively against the prospect of Islamic terrorism. Indeed, the moniker “War on Terrorism” has come to specifically mean “War on Islamic Terrorism,” involving everything from new laws like the Patriot Act, to a new torture regime, to new federal agencies like the Transportation Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security, to wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to mass surveillance of Muslim communities.

By contrast, even though America has seen a consistent barrage of attacks from domestic non-Islamic terrorists, the privilege and double standards baked into our national security ideologies means those attacks have resulted in no systemic action of the scope marshaled against foreign terrorists. In fact, it has been quite the opposite — according to Darryl Johnson, the senior domestic terrorism analyst at the Department of Homeland Security, the conservative movement backlash to merely reporting the rising threat of such domestic terrorism resulted in DHS seriously curtailing its initiatives against that particular threat. (Irony alert: When it comes specifically to fighting white non-Muslim domestic terrorists, the right seems to now support the very doctrine it criticized Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry for articulating — the doctrine that sees fighting terrorism as primarily “an intelligence-gathering, law-enforcement, public-diplomacy effort” and not something more systemic.)

If recent history is any guide, if the bomber ends up being a white anti-government extremist, white privilege will likely mean the attack is portrayed as just an isolated incident — one that has no bearing on any larger policy debates. Put another way, white privilege will work to not only insulate whites from collective blame, but also to insulate the political debate from any fallout from the attack.

It will probably be much different if the bomber ends up being a Muslim and/or a foreigner from the developing world. As we know from our own history, when those kind of individuals break laws in such a high-profile way, America often cites them as both proof that entire demographic groups must be targeted, and that therefore a more systemic response is warranted. At that point, it’s easy to imagine conservatives citing Boston as a reason to block immigration reform defense spending cuts and the Afghan War withdrawal and to further expand surveillance and other encroachments on civil liberties.

If that sounds hard to believe, just look at yesterday’s comments by right-wing radio host Laura Ingraham, whose talking points often become Republican Party doctrine.

The same Laura Ingraham, of course, was one of the leading voices criticizing the Department of Homeland Security for daring to even report on right-wing domestic terrorism. In that sense, she perfectly embodies the double standard that, more than anything, will determine the long-term political impact of the Boston bombing.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Rahul Dravid

April 17, 2013
The Saudi Marathon Man
Posted by Amy Davidson

A twenty-year-old man who had been watching the Boston Marathon had his body torn into by the force of a bomb. He wasn’t alone; a hundred and seventy-six people were injured and three were killed. But he was the only one who, while in the hospital being treated for his wounds, had his apartment searched in “a startling show of force,” as his fellow-tenants described it to the Boston Herald, with a “phalanx” of officers and agents and two K9 units. He was the one whose belongings were carried out in paper bags as his neighbors watched; whose roommate, also a student, was questioned for five hours (“I was scared”) before coming out to say that he didn’t think his friend was someone who’d plant a bomb—that he was a nice guy who liked sports. “Let me go to school, dude,” the roommate said later in the day, covering his face with his hands and almost crying, as a Fox News producer followed him and asked him, again and again, if he was sure he hadn’t been living with a killer.

Why the search, the interrogation, the dogs, the bomb squad, and the injured man’s name tweeted out, attached to the word “suspect”? After the bombs went off, people were running in every direction—so was the young man. Many, like him, were hurt badly; many of them were saved by the unflinching kindness of strangers, who carried them or stopped the bleeding with their own hands and improvised tourniquets. “Exhausted runners who kept running to the nearest hospital to give blood,” President Obama said. “They helped one another, consoled one another,” Carmen Ortiz, the U.S. Attorney for Massachusetts, said. In the midst of that, according to a CBS News report, a bystander saw the young man running, badly hurt, rushed to him, and then “tackled” him, bringing him down. People thought he looked suspicious.

full read - http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog....html?mobify=0
Old April 17, 2013, 01:33 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

CNN! What a joke!
Old April 17, 2013, 02:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Look at 19 second mark

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/bost...-bomb-18976338