facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 1, 2018, 05:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ssei
This is indeed a nice thread where I get to know some of you. Although I don't read all the posts or ask the questions, I enjoy skimming through often.

BK is the only official forum buddy I got. Thanks for that.

As an engineer, I can relate to your point here. It always comes back to the engineer who stamped/approved the design when something fails/falls. And it's a huge responsibility that one can't afford to take lightly at all. I didn't realize it until I started approving myself. A patient's life often depends on the surgeon in the OT and that doesn't happen everyday either. On the contrary, the lives of hundreds or even thousands can perish on a simple engineering fault. But we take it granted.

This begs to share with all of you re: The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer by attending a closed ceremony often called "The Iron Ring Ceremony" in Canada.

Iron Ring Ceremony:

The Iron Ring is a ring worn by Canadian-trained engineers, as a symbol and reminder of the obligations and ethics associated with their profession. It's commonly believed that the collapse of the first Quebec bridge killing 76 workers in 1907 and then the subsequent collapse of the second one in 1916 with a fatality of 16 influenced the 7 former presidents of the Engineering Institute of Canada come together in 1922 and initiate this ritual. Since 1925, this ceremonies are held by the corp of the Seven Wardens Inc. and attended by most engineering grads through their universities.

The ceremony begins by some hammer blows on an anvil. It's Morse code of the letters S - S - T: Steel, Stone & Time (or Soul, Spirit & Time). A rivet from the collapsed bridge is tied to the hammer. The ritual takes place in 3 sections: the obligation, the charge and lastly the bestowing of the ring.The oath was written by English poet Rudyard Kipling which we recite by holding the mammoth iron chain threaded through the pews with one hand. The chain exists from the bridge disaster time. The ring itself is made of wrought iron or stainless steel, rough in shape and to be worn in pinky's of the working hand all time. The ring is supposed to remind of the morale, ethics and responsibility that comes with the profession. This is not a requirement for graduation or registration for engineers.

I think US also adopted the ritual from Canada in 70's.

I hope I didn't bore you guys with all these. Somehow it relates to the topic, may be, a কাঠগড়া for Engineers.
Its very nice that you guys have an ritual for graduate engineering. In Australia, we graduate, if your lucky you get a 1 year internship and your thrown into the deep end.

Are you a Civil Engineer?

Old March 2, 2018, 08:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
Its very nice that you guys have an ritual for graduate engineering. In Australia, we graduate, if your lucky you get a 1 year internship and your thrown into the deep end.

Are you a Civil Engineer?
On street, one can easily recognize an engineer by the ring on the little finger. So, most wear it with pride.

I'm an Electrical Engineer. BTW, I'm not on kathgora.
Old March 2, 2018, 08:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
On street, one can easily recognize an engineer by the ring on the little finger. So, most wear it with pride.

I'm an Electrical Engineer. BTW, I'm not on kathgora.
I have massive respect for Electrical Engineers, the work you guys do to get your degree is immense. The most difficult and demanding engineering field.

Thanks for your service.
Old March 2, 2018, 12:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:

BK is the only official forum buddy I got. Thanks for that.

As an engineer, I can relate to your point here. It always comes back to the engineer who stamped/approved the design when something fails/falls. And it's a huge responsibility that one can't afford to take lightly at all. I didn't realize it until I started approving myself. A patient's life often depends on the surgeon in the OT and that doesn't happen everyday either. On the contrary, the lives of hundreds or even thousands can perish on a simple engineering fault. But we take it granted.

This begs to share with all of you re: The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer by attending a closed ceremony often called "The Iron Ring Ceremony" in Canada.

Iron Ring Ceremony:

The Iron Ring is a ring worn by Canadian-trained engineers, as a symbol and reminder of the obligations and ethics associated with their profession.
Rossei bhaiya, you are a good man and a good friend.
I am fascinated by the rituals of the Canadian engineers' initiations into practice through the 'iron Ring'! I did not know that and thank you for sharing this. 'Iron' ring, assuming could be originating from medieval Roman engineering?? that I find extremely romantic.

When a sbuilding' is more than just a building, when it is considered 'architecture', i.e. an object of artistically defined human space, something that possesses spatial philosophy, historical and cultural reference, effects human psychology, creates ambiance and gives a human moments of surreal emotional experience - it is defined as such. This is to clarify that a simple dwelling is NOT 'architecture', like a cave would not be or a even a suburban house and a Walmart or a gas station. They have architectural element/product embedded in them as they are constructed with same building material, but are not considered 'architecture'...they are just mere buildings.
That being said, all high architecture or space/building with sophistication are only possible due to the professional teamwork and extreme contribution of knowledge from engineers of number of disciplines. Like yourself, an electrical engineer - without you my building/space is a space without technology of extreme importance. I spec lighting and do lighting calculations for lumen and to limit the over usage of lighting (especially in landscape, exterior) to comply with energy code and all that, BUT we wouldn't be able to understand or design the layout of the amp, phase, wattage load and circuitry of electronics. Also you guide us for security, A/V and all the high tech controls and sophistication that makes a place livable and usable!

Same with Mechanical (HVAC) engineers, without the air conditioning and heating system a place or 'architecture' is completely 'worthless'!

Electrical, mechanical and structural engineers do extremely complex and sophisticated work within their disciplines that make the glory of architecture come alive. Any architect should know that and are cripple with us all working together. I admire all my consultants (engineers) tremendously, and I admire their knowledge of their discipline and how humble they are. In recent months, I worked with mechanical and electrical engineers from Toronto and Vancouver for my Toronto projects. Canadians are extremely polite, humble, sincere and graceful. And extremely patient.
I do not know if you do buildings, if you do, I would love to meet you some day.

You are a brother of mine,
Baitta Karim
Old March 2, 2018, 02:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Rossei bhaiya, you are a good man and a good friend.
I am fascinated by the rituals of the Canadian engineers' initiations into practice through the 'iron Ring'! I did not know that and thank you for sharing this. 'Iron' ring, assuming could be originating from medieval Roman engineering?? that I find extremely romantic.

When a sbuilding' is more than just a building, when it is considered 'architecture',
You are a brother of mine,
Baitta Karim
"Baitta Karim", OMG, we had a math school teacher at Govt. Lab in Dhaka named Anwarul Karim. But guess what, he was widely known as "Baitta Karim" aka BK sir. He used to walk fast and spank all the elder kids (Grade 8 to 10) on his way with his 3-4 ft long stick (almost the same height as him) at a speed of 20/min. We still loved him.

Back to engineering, yes, I understand the significance of architects. In fact, my parents wanted me to be one and I took 2-3 classes in BUET, but left it. Whole other story.

I'm a Power Engineer, to be exact. More precisely, I work from field to commission and maintain the protection, control & telecom side of H.V. power transmission equipment (Line, Bus, Transformer, Breaker, Switch, CT/PT etc.) for Ontario province.

Not surprised that you enjoyed working with Canadian professionals. I would also love to see some of your work. You may be the next Fazlur Rahman Khan, who knows, you perhaps already are.
Old March 2, 2018, 03:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
"Baitta Karim", OMG, we had a math school teacher at Govt. Lab in Dhaka named Anwarul Karim. But guess what, he was widely known as "Baitta Karim" aka BK sir. He used to walk fast and spank all the elder kids (Grade 8 to 10) on his way with his 3-4 ft long stick (almost the same height as him) at a speed of 20/min. We still loved him.

Rossai bhaiya....I am also from Govt. Lab.
I went to Govt. Lab in the 70s and early through mid 80s. You are indeed my brother!!!

1. I have been beaten by Ana Fonku (BK) Half takku Ana Karim Sir (white Panjabi + white pajama - 6 days a week)many a times for bunking classes and hiding at Teachers' Training College (TTC) field. He used to teach us Advanced Math, and i failed it once in the Half-yearly exam at 9th grade...i think i got a 5 or 7 out of 100.
2. Do you remember Shahidur Rahman Sir? Fatta? 420...Our main Board Office + Ministry of Education connection? He used to beat us with thin branches of Krishnochura tree by the rear boundary - for not attending Zuhaar prayer and escaping to TTC field or Dacca College field to play.
3. Did you have Faruq Sir? Advance math, general match, general science? He was always very kind to me and used to encourage me. He used to tell us 'Adiroshattok Golpo o Kahini (Choti stories) and we used to listen with our eys wide open...haa kore shuntaam while exercising our Kolpona Shokti...
4. What about Zahirul Islam Khan Sir? Biology...aka Jo-I-Kha aka ZIK aka Chulkani Khaujani aka Chulubulu Sir...he was a great teacher and he used to scratch his balls constantly while teaching us how to dissect a Beyang (Frog)!
5. Did you have Khayer Sir for Islamiyat? Khoyer Khaa?
6. How about 'Dracula' aka One eye blind Noakhali Sir for Arabic and islamiyat? While teaching religion class and he used to explain how to abstain from impure thoughts and not looking at women, "...hei...Nari deho boro lobhoniyo...Kinto Allah taala bolechen he musulli, tora heidike zaibi naa...durey thaak tora...Jena kora moha phaap!
7. Did your class have the honor to have Bengali Lit. 'Fadagaar' sir? "Ek thappor mari Matha ekkarey Faani kori dimu!!" Ei sele, tumi Fadagaar (pathagaar - Library) rochona-ti phoro...Dariye, Beyaddop...Jore jore, keu shunte phai naa..."

8. You probably didn't have Johirul Islam (senior sir from the 70s, Asst Head master), wonderful teacher and man.
9. Khondokar sir who used to tell us stories of London and ....'Foreinger-ra amader aar aager moton 'Ghenna' kore naa, British amoley korto..." Khondokar Sir used to tell us the same story about a Bonobhojon from the 60s where they had Bali Haash-er Mangsho with Ghee...and Butter! Every week, same story...And then he used to tell us that he used to private tutor a student where one night the household gave him some pieces of Baali-Haasher roast or kabab..but he did not eat them..."Mangsho-ta-te gondho hoye giyesilo..ami khete parini...Pet khorap hote parto.." He also used to tell us how we should tell our parents to go to ThatariBazaar to get Murir Ghilaa-Kalijaa (chicken liver/Gizzard) from the meat market...because, all the hospitals like PG, Dhaka Medical College Hospital, Midford etc. would cook chicken for their patients but sell the gizzards to the butchers at the Thatari-bazaar market. And he used to give us the price per pound even and tell us to tell our moims how to cook them!!! With extra chilli powder or Bata Marich and then we must eat them gorom gorom with Tawa Roti!!! He passed away by the way.
10. Anis Siddiquie Sir (Bengali Fiction Author)...Bhai, Sir amader line korey 'Chimti' dito....
11. Physical Training - Drill Master Sir...Lieutenant Colonel 'Leku' aka 'Mora Goru'
12. Delwar Hussain aka 'Delu' aka 'Deulia' aka DeHo' sir Bengali Lit...? "Ami Humayun Ahmed-er lekha pochhondo kori naa..ete jounotai bhora...."!!!

I went to GG (Hotel Golden Gate's bakery shop) and ate a lots of samosas, chicken patties and had Pepsi cola.
I ate a lot of chotpoti and 50 paisa orange ice-cream from the golli. + mamu-er boroi achar + Kot-bel.

We used to go to New market and watch Dhaka University, Eden College, Udyon school's apus and aunties.
I avoided Bolaka cinema hall...and the rear of it where dirty movies used to be shown...or Neel Khet ganja dealers
I prayed for the day when Dacca College Chatro Union (communist - student wing of CPB) or Chhatro League (AL) or Chhatro Dol (BNP) prossession would come to our school and ask us, ..."priyo torun Chhatro bhaiyera, aso, tomra amader sathe andolone joog dau...ei soirachari Ersad-er biruddhe amra poth-e nambo..slogan dau...Ersad-er pacha-e agun jalo..."
We used to get out with them out of the class...hooor hoor hoor...'Hoi Hoi Hortaal..Hortall..Dhormoghot./.." and we used to repeat slogans without understanding a word what we were saying like, Emuk bhaiy-er Mookti chai, Tomuk bhaiye-er Fasi chai" etc. etc....And our Govt. Lab. class teacher or whoever was teaching at that time, wouldn't say a thing...stay quiet and we felt like Eid as we were leaving the classrooms!!

In the early 80s as a pre-teen, at our school is where I experienced Molotov cocktail exploding sometimes almost everyday and got tear gassed by the police around our school and Dhaka College and remember gagging and throwing up on the side of the street! Very quickly I/we learned 'Dhaowa-Palta Dhaowa' between BCL and BCD and saw shibbir guys getting their pajama wearing booty fat pinched (kicked) regularly!

In 2004 or 5, my dad took me and my wife to my old school and a couple of of the new generation teachers gave my wife a bouquet of flowers, which one of the teachers was going to take home to his wife. My wife and I will never forget that moment. I felt very emotional and grateful to the young teacher. It is an extreme shame that I forgot that Sir's name. Those (5) 'new' teachers, for some reason felt very proud of me, and I felt shame inside knowing the decay and misery in me.
BTW, Rossei, during that visit, I saw that most of the play grounds and fields at my old school were filled with new buildings to make room for more classrooms.

BTW, Our BC's Nocturnal (Pasa) also went to Govt. Lab. He lives in the woods of Alberta.

Last edited by bujhee kom; March 2, 2018 at 08:04 PM..
Old March 3, 2018, 09:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Old March 5, 2018, 08:04 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Oh BK da .. I should print and frame your last post #656 ... this is pure gold for any laboratorian!
I know and can relate 95% of what you said.
Will just add one thing, I spend years right beside BK / ZIK / Fatta / Mahmudullah / few other SIR .. actually living beside their homes .. Azimpur Colony ... thela bujhen! School chuti hoileo shanti nai amar!
Thank you so much for bringing back so many good memories!

Sorry for being off topic - @ other members
Old March 5, 2018, 01:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Rossai bhaiya....I am also from Govt. Lab.
I went to Govt. Lab in the 70s and early through mid 80s. You are indeed my brother!!!
BTW, Our BC's Nocturnal (Pasa) also went to Govt. Lab. He lives in the woods of Alberta.
WOW! You have an excellent memory. I attended during 90's, yet can't remember half of the faculty. We had:

Bangla: Mozammel Hoque (Moja) - TV Personality, Razzak-ul-Haider (Freedom Fighter), Gokul Chondro Das, Delwar Hossain

English: Mahmudullah, Malek, Ishaq, Kamrul, Ataul

Math: Salam, BK, Rashid (late)

Biology: Insan Ali, Zahirul Islam (ZIK)

Science: Faruq

Islam: Khayer, Mujib (Kaherman from Alif-Laila TV Show), Nazrul

All-rounders: Mohsin (Micky), Monsur (Choron-Kobi)

Drill: Belal (Belu)

Drawing: Ranjan

Agricultural Science: Murgi Sir (can't remember the name, he was the youngest of all though)

Headmaster: Zahirul Haque (1991–1994), Habibullah Khan (1995–1997)

When AL came into power back in 96, they transferred 15 senior teachers to Bandarban-Khagrachori-Parbotto-CTG area in 97-98 including Faruq Sir, Khayer Sir, BK Sir, Mojammel Sir etc. So, when we were promoted to Class 9, we missed out lot of renowned teachers' teachings. It also impacted the SSC result as we lost all our "connections".

I think Shahidur Rahman Sir passed away in early 90's when we were in primary.

I had little different problems especially in senior classes. Being a class captain, I had to back my students and also answer to the teachers for all the nuisance we created on daily basis. I used to be interrogated in Teachers' Common Room for hours in Class 9 and 10. Same reason, ami school palaite beshi partam na. But I used to play in the field almost 3 times a day.

Neelkhet, Bolaka, Dhaka College, TTC, NewMarket, Azimpur, Eden College, Ogroni School - every aspect remained same thru our time. Ami BAN jokhon jai, ekbar school e jawa porey (I live in Kalabagan, pretty near). The mamu's still remember me.
Old March 5, 2018, 02:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Here is an insider info,
In our house the bereaved film producer Alamgir Kabir used to rent the second floor when he made legendary movie Shimana Periye.

The GLab Headmaster sir Hafizuddin used to rent the 3rd floor and run his full fledged coaching. So our big large building will be always filled with all the noise by the GLab students coming and going. Latter Hafiz sir moved to a different house near the old rashion station on the road towards West End High. During my SSC I attended his coaching there.
Being brought up in that area we established frenemic camaraderie with colony counterparts.
Will share more...
Old March 6, 2018, 09:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Here is an insider info,
In our house the bereaved film producer Alamgir Kabir used to rent the second floor when he made legendary movie Shimana Periye.

The GLab Headmaster sir Hafizuddin used to rent the 3rd floor and run his full fledged coaching. So our big large building will be always filled with all the noise by the GLab students coming and going. Latter Hafiz sir moved to a different house near the old rashion station on the road towards West End High. During my SSC I attended his coaching there.
Being brought up in that area we established frenemic camaraderie with colony counterparts.
Will share more...
We didn't have the headmaster's residence in the school compound in 70's then?
Old March 6, 2018, 11:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
We didn't have the headmaster's residence in the school compound in 70's then?
Yes we did, Rossei.
We had the Head Sir's residence in the campus since the inception of the school, since the 60s.
What Uno World is saying is true, it's after Hafizudding Sir either retired or was transferred from Govt. Lab.

And R0ssei, One World and Noc, please feell free to talk about this.
Since I am in the Kathgora now and you can argue that these are all related to me, pretend as if you are asking me.
Since we brought up Azimpur, please ask me about Azimpir Gorosthaan (Cemetery) (I will spill the beans - everything I have seen and know aboput it
Please ask me about Kolje-kheko aka Manush-kheko Khalilullah (Bangladesh's First ever Khalil-bal the Cannibal) and his activity at Azimpur Gorosthaan from the 70s. One World Bhai bhagina knows all about it as well...Khalilulllah used to steal Cadaver from the DMC and Midford morgues and eat the flesh and the livers. Khalilullah-er bhoye hamara school-e jaite + during Kurbanir Eid gorur kolija khaite bhoi paitaam
Old March 6, 2018, 11:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
I nominate BK too.

My advanced questions to him are:

1. Manhole (as in ***hole) complete submerged or a snake full of pit - 1hr max? Choose.
2. What would be your dream or alternate lifestyle and career in other life?
3. What's your favorite food? Guessing biryani
4. How to make money? You know the good stuff.. the chaching... the dough..the green stuff.. the benjies
5. What is the hardest drug you ever tried...besides life..lol

Can't believe you didn't go up there man.
Quote:
1. Manhole.
2. Uma Thurman - Hollywood.
Although I live my dream my dream career - the above is, just if I could have been someone else.
3. Chickin wings
4. Coke, not rock - Mid level - preferably 3rd or 4th man, not the 10th man hustling on the street, by the corner Bodega, going ke paso Papi, making 5 on the 100.

5. - 5th
Since my dearest Mahmud bhaiya is on his break and these are the first questions which I answered and answered them quickly, I will add a few extra words with ym answers.

1. Manhole. Because, at least I can float in the manhole and come out of it alive. Shaaper kamor khaile mara jaboo tow instantly.
2. I wish I wascould be Uma Thurman - Hollywood.
I live my dream career - the above is, just if I could have been someone else.
3. Chickin wings and Murgir cutlet and Morog pulau.
4. Coke, not rock - Mid level - preferably 3rd or 4th man, not the 10th man hustling on the street, by the corner Bodega, going ke paso Papi, making 5 on the 100.

5. - I will take the 5th
Old March 6, 2018, 02:27 PM
Test Cricketer

BK Bhai,

Tell us about the infamous Khalilullah. I saw him very few times - can't remember. The once or twice I used to go with my father each year during school days, especially on Eid occasions, I used to visualize him digging a grave, cutting raw flesh and eating liver - terrifying imagination of a kid.
Old March 9, 2018, 11:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

I nominate Dinraat

And Firebreaker
Old March 10, 2018, 06:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Fire away
Old March 15, 2018, 01:24 PM
Cricket Savant

RIP to kathgora
Old March 15, 2018, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

I second DinRaat
Old March 18, 2018, 09:34 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

dinraat it is..lets try one more time.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:17 PM
Cricket Legend

No one?
Old March 21, 2018, 08:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Here goes:

1. How did you find this forum?
2. Do you play cricket competitively?
3. On a scale from 1 to 10, where do you think you fit on sarcasm?
4. Do you play by the rules or not?
5. Your favorite 90s rom-com
6. Blonde or platinum?
7. Your comfort Food
8. Your comfort drink
9. Who do you think will win the next cricket world cup?

10. Say anything that comes to your mind.

Thank you for your presence on the forum. You are a kool kat.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
No one?
lol I think everyone is still recovering from that loss.

Here's my questions:

1) How many countries have you been to? (or would like to visit)

2) Be honest, are you studying engineering for the money or because you enjoy it? if Engineering wasn't a choice, what would you study?

3) What part of BD is your family from?

4) Why is Shakib the greatest Bangladeshi player we have ever seen?

5) Genuinely, what is the difference between Australia and NZ (culturally)?

6) Name some Australian food that isnt just a copy of its English counterpart?

7) best part about BD, and worst part about BD?
Old March 21, 2018, 08:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Oh,ok, this thread is about asking questions. Got it. For some reason I assumed Kathgora meant roasting people. And it was stuck in my brain. Questions it is.

1) What creatures have you seen in your house? Reason I'm asking is, I don't want to go to Australia because of all the weird creatures that have evolved there.
Old March 21, 2018, 09:16 PM

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Oh,ok, this thread is about asking questions. Got it. For some reason I assumed Kathgora meant roasting people. And it was stuck in my brain. Questions it is.

1) What creatures have you seen in your house? Reason I'm asking is, I don't want to go to Australia because of all the weird creatures that have evolved there.
you were in the kathgora in couple of weeks ago! go back some pages ans answer your questions!
Old March 22, 2018, 01:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
I am not sure Roey is active enough to answer questions..May be we should rename the thread to Mushfik in Kathgora, that can attract roey's attention

anyway my questions

1. What happened with your Rap? why dont you post your rap videos anymore? what did we do to deserve this travesty?

2. Other than Rap, which music genres you enjoy?

3. Did you hear the modern generation Bangla alternative rock bands like Black, Nemesis, Arbovirus etc? if yes how would you rate their music?
1. It was only a dream, which I gave up on. But at least I uploaded some stuff, so if it was really special, it would have taken a life of it's own, which it did not. I still love rap, and often get ideas in my heads for songs, but never follow through because of a lack of time. Life gets in the way.

2. I have favorite songs in every genre! To me it's all about the tune.

3. I have heard some songs. But must have not fancied any that much, or else I would remember. I really love Liberation War songs. They are great tunes. To this day, I think those are my favorite Bangla songs.