facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old November 11, 2013, 06:19 PM
Tiger Manc's Avatar
Tiger Manc Tiger Manc is online now
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: November 2, 2009
Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo
Posts: 4,479

Saqlain Sajib 217 FC wickets @ Marshallesque 20.96. Will take the 3rd spinners spot in Tests MMW.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old November 11, 2013, 11:27 PM
Holden's Avatar
Holden Holden is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 5, 2010
Posts: 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Not just Ian - there wasn't necessarily hype but much interest and hope when he first started. It wasn't after a few years when he fell in love with his own good looks and used up most of his brain cells to grunt during bowling that he fell off the hype wagon.

But the ultimate one man hype still goes to Zunaed Siddiqi. And the all powerful hype that destroyed him is just a search away. (Aside: bro, you know who you are, and I keed).
I still feel Junaid Siddique is under-rated. In terms of average he is the most successful number 3 Test batsman Bangladesh has ever had; he averages more than Bashar when batting at 3. Furthermore he figures four times in the top 13 Test partnerships by Bangladesh; three of those were with Tamim: 146, 161 and 200 (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...d=25;type=team).
His problem was that he was awful in ODIs (but surprisingly more than decent in T20s). But the selectors kept picking him for the ODIs and when he failed in those he was dropped from the Test Team. If he was left alone to concentrate on Tests and develop his Test batting he could have been a huge asset to the team given the problems we've had in that troublesome number 3 spot in the last few years.
He wasn't the only one that was hindered by the selectors myopic vision to select the same players in every format.
Imrul Kayes was a steady opening partner for Tamim in ODIs but he was appalling in Tests; he has the worst average for an opener who has batted in at least 30 innings, (Hannan Sarker is second worst and Javed Omar is fourth worst, looks like Bangladeshi openers seem to excel in this criteria ). Every series he was under immense pressure because of his Test failures, I wonder what he could have achieved if he was left alone to focus only on ODIs.
The same could be said for other players like Jahurul Islam, Rubel, Riyad. I hope the selectors don't make the same mistake in the future and cut short the international careers of others.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old November 11, 2013, 11:48 PM
Tiger444's Avatar
Tiger444 Tiger444 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 17, 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Favorite Player: All the BD players
Posts: 8,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden
I still feel Junaid Siddique is under-rated. In terms of average he is the most successful number 3 Test batsman Bangladesh has ever had; he averages more than Bashar when batting at 3. Furthermore he figures four times in the top 13 Test partnerships by Bangladesh; three of those were with Tamim: 146, 161 and 200 (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...d=25;type=team).
His problem was that he was awful in ODIs (but surprisingly more than decent in T20s). But the selectors kept picking him for the ODIs and when he failed in those he was dropped from the Test Team. If he was left alone to concentrate on Tests and develop his Test batting he could have been a huge asset to the team given the problems we've had in that troublesome number 3 spot in the last few years.
He wasn't the only one that was hindered by the selectors myopic vision to select the same players in every format.
Imrul Kayes was a steady opening partner for Tamim in ODIs but he was appalling in Tests; he has the worst average for an opener who has batted in at least 30 innings, (Hannan Sarker is second worst and Javed Omar is fourth worst, looks like Bangladeshi openers seem to excel in this criteria ). Every series he was under immense pressure because of his Test failures, I wonder what he could have achieved if he was left alone to focus only on ODIs.
The same could be said for other players like Jahurul Islam, Rubel, Riyad. I hope the selectors don't make the same mistake in the future and cut short the international careers of others.
Actually Junaid has the highest average at the 3 spot in ODIs as well for batsmen who batted at that spot in at least 10 matches. In both Tests and ODIs, he averaged in the teens when opening the innings but as you pointed, he's been one of our most successful number 3 in both Tests and ODIs.

If Marshall doesn't work out in Tests, we should consider Junaid again. In ODIs we're also not settled in that position so he could be considered again, especially since he's been the best batsman in the DPL.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old November 12, 2013, 12:22 AM
MHRAM MHRAM is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 30, 2013
Favorite Player: Tendo, Shakib, Gilchrist
Posts: 2,235

However I feel that in recent times we have stopped this hyping habit of ours which is good to see.

I don't want to start a war but one might want to check out the Pakistan forum where every single domestic talent is hyped as the next big thing and once they debut and fail, they all come crashing down. A bit like our hopes for Anamul who atleast managed to score a century. No need to mention how Windies fan hype his players.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old November 12, 2013, 12:48 AM
Night_wolf's Avatar
Night_wolf Night_wolf is offline
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh
 
Join Date: October 30, 2010
Location: City of Traffic Jam
Favorite Player: Gilly
Posts: 12,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Actually Junaid has the highest average at the 3 spot in ODIs as well for batsmen who batted at that spot in at least 10 matches. In both Tests and ODIs, he averaged in the teens when opening the innings but as you pointed, he's been one of our most successful number 3 in both Tests and ODIs.

If Marshall doesn't work out in Tests, we should consider Junaid again. In ODIs we're also not settled in that position so he could be considered again, especially since he's been the best batsman in the DPL.
i think aftab was our best number 3 odi batsman ever if you take the avg+SR into account
__________________
Associates whom Bangladesh has lost to: 1.Kenya 2.Canada 3.Ireland 4.Netherlands 5. Scotland 6. Afganistan 7. Hongkong
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old November 12, 2013, 01:03 AM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,847

I think getting Junaid back would be a step backward. I am happy with the current group as it is. Juanaid got plenty of opportunities for the slot and all he produced was quickfire 15-25 runs. Most of his fifties that i remember were scored with one or sometimes two lives in terms of dropped catches.
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old November 12, 2013, 01:40 AM
MHRAM MHRAM is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 30, 2013
Favorite Player: Tendo, Shakib, Gilchrist
Posts: 2,235

Junaid does not have the technique needed to survive in the international level. He is poor against Yorker and the shorter ball.

I would prefer Anam over him.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old November 12, 2013, 02:32 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,502

Yeah I feel we hype less now also, junaid actually looked really good on debut but looked progressively worse as his international career went on. Certainly his short ball game needs to be improved, hopefully he has worked on these issues.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old November 12, 2013, 02:36 AM
Razi's Avatar
Razi Razi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 8, 2008
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Posts: 4,677

JuSi is simply clueless against bouncers and most of his dismissals were as ugly as it can get when the bowlers pitched it short. He's very good at playing off-spin though, which is a big advantage being a left-hander. But, if he hasn't improved on playing shorter balls then he'll still be a fish out of water in international cricket.
__________________
''I go out to field as if I'm entering the boxing ring and there's no place for the guy who comes second best there.''
– Shakib Al Hasan, World's No-1 Allrounder

Last edited by Razi; November 12, 2013 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old November 12, 2013, 02:59 AM
BD_TigerZ's Avatar
BD_TigerZ BD_TigerZ is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 26, 2012
Location: Arkham Asylum
Favorite Player: Mushfiqur and ABD
Posts: 4,304

I think Marshall has what it takes for a long term option. Strong in the V, patient and score big. Like a typical bd #3 he suffers from lack of concentration. We should stivk with for another 3/4 series. Zunaid is step backwards imo. Needs to sort out his technique.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old November 12, 2013, 12:01 PM
Tiger444's Avatar
Tiger444 Tiger444 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 17, 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Favorite Player: All the BD players
Posts: 8,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
i think aftab was our best number 3 odi batsman ever if you take the avg+SR into account
Aftab had an average of a 26 with a SR of a 26 while Junaid averaged 29 with a SR of a 71. When you filter out Zimbabwe and the associates and just take in to account of the G8, Junaid's average then becomes a 26 while Aftab's is only 18. This is again taking in to account of when they batted at 3 in ODIs.

So to date, Junaid's been our best #3 in ODI's.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old November 12, 2013, 12:08 PM
Tiger444's Avatar
Tiger444 Tiger444 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 17, 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Favorite Player: All the BD players
Posts: 8,202

The problem with Junaid though is he's such a liability as an opener. That's the spot we need more help in. In T20's and ODI's, it'll be hard to get in since Shamsur and Anamul are there now. In Tests, he'll have a hard time getting in at 3 since Marshall's being tested there and Naeem is right behind Marshall. Junaid would have to get in at opener but again that's where we have a problem because he's been poor as an opener.

The BCL would be great for us in determing who should get the spots at the opening position.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old November 12, 2013, 12:11 PM
M.H.Rubel M.H.Rubel is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 18, 2009
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players
Posts: 5,577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Mosaddek Hossain Saikat .... next BIG thing IMO!
I was also thinking the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old November 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
simon's Avatar
simon simon is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 20, 2008
Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash
Posts: 19,649

even I had a thing for Shahadat (in tests)
This guy was good back in 2007-2008-09
__________________
Tea20 is just not our cup of tea.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old November 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
One World's Avatar
One World One World is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: May 18, 2005
Location: New England
Favorite Player: Charlie Chaplin
Posts: 16,596

Razib is the only bowler in the history of Bangladesh cricket to have his name etched in Lords list.
He was the bowler who made RSA concede in their first test at BD (along with Doosraful).
And...
He is the first bowler to earn an ODI hat-trick for Bangladesh.

Enough to be hyped I guess .
__________________
Human mind has all the power, when your mind is grind grit wins the battle. Go Bangladesh. Be the world number one in Test Ranking.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old November 12, 2013, 10:22 PM
Tiger444's Avatar
Tiger444 Tiger444 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 17, 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Favorite Player: All the BD players
Posts: 8,202

People shouldn't feel too bad about hyping up Rajib. He had it all. As others have said, he had pace, aggression, generated that awkward bounce for batsmen. His stature is also ideal for pacers as he's tall. Very nice action on the eyes. Too bad his big headed ness got the best of him. He should be 1 of the leaders of our attack by now. Instead he's in and out of his domestic side.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old November 12, 2013, 10:35 PM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,847

he needed a cricketing brain over anything else. Get hammered and keep bowling short pitch deliveries is not a game plan
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old November 12, 2013, 10:50 PM
roman's Avatar
roman roman is online now
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 18, 2004
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash
Posts: 10,863

Razib is just lazy..Doesnt want to work hard and if someone tells him to hit the net, he starts crying like a baby. And Mofeez sympathize him and say why would some outsider tell our best test bowler to hit the net..keu amare mairala

Shahadat had it all. I still remember his test performance against SA and Australia. Did he actually start to decline after Pont took over? Its a question. .

Well, he may not be all hype but he certainly did disappoint us big time..

Shubhagoto Hom and Kapali are the biggest hype IMO
__________________
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when open.....Thomas Dewey
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old November 13, 2013, 03:31 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,502

yeah there was nothing wrong with hyping rajib, he genuinely had pretty much everything needed to become a successful international bowler, the one thing he lacked which has already been said is a lack of cricketing brain. he had all the natural gifts, but didn't do what needed to be done to go beyond those gifts and translate them into a successful cricketing career at the international level.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old November 13, 2013, 03:32 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Razib is just lazy..Doesnt want to work hard and if someone tells him to hit the net, he starts crying like a baby. And Mofeez sympathize him and say why would some outsider tell our best test bowler to hit the net..keu amare mairala

Shahadat had it all. I still remember his test performance against SA and Australia. Did he actually start to decline after Pont took over? Its a question. .

Well, he may not be all hype but he certainly did disappoint us big time..

Shubhagoto Hom and Kapali are the biggest hype IMO
i don't think shuvagata is/was really hyped much aside from maybe sohel early on and myself.

soumya is hyped by a small number.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old November 13, 2013, 07:00 AM
shuziburo's Avatar
shuziburo shuziburo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: April 12, 2007
Location: Dhaka / NYC Metro Area
Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Posts: 9,082

I think every player is over or under-hyped. It is impossible to hype a player just right.
__________________
প্রথম বাংলাদেশ আমার শেষ বাংলাদেশ, জীবন বাংলাদেশ আমার মরন বাংলাদেশ।
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old November 13, 2013, 07:29 AM
BD_TigerZ's Avatar
BD_TigerZ BD_TigerZ is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 26, 2012
Location: Arkham Asylum
Favorite Player: Mushfiqur and ABD
Posts: 4,304

Shabbir under-hyped
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old November 13, 2013, 12:47 PM
Dhurr's Avatar
Dhurr Dhurr is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: October 19, 2004
Posts: 2,301

Tomra ki faizlami koro? How can this thread have 47 posts without a single mention of NAZMUL?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old November 13, 2013, 03:07 PM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,760

over hyped player will come and go...but nobody will be able to beat the record set by Ashraful.
__________________
Stop that “chudurbudur”
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old December 26, 2013, 12:15 PM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,847

Anamul and Shabbir need to prove a point to their critics. So far so good
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket