facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 27, 2002, 11:08 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Mark Waugh retires from international cricket

I got it from the crickinfo.

www.baggygreen.com.au - 28 October 2002

Mark Waugh has announced his retirement from international cricket today after being dropped from the Australian squad for the first Test against England.

Waugh, 37, told a media conference at the Sydney Cricket Ground he felt he still had the ability to play at international level. However, the 128-Test veteran said he might not have made the most of opportunities last season against New Zealand and South Africa to consolidate his position in the Australian side.

Waugh said he had played in a great era for Australian cricket, which included a 16-Test winning streak and the 1999 World Cup victory. He did not see age as an issue in selection, and said his replacement Darren Lehmann, 32, might have five years or 50 Tests ahead of him.

In Tests, Waugh made 8029 runs at 41.81 and claimed 59 wickets at 41.16, while his extraordinary fielding yielded 181 catches. He also scored 8500 runs and took 85 wickets and 108 catches in one-day internationals.

Waugh plans to play for New South Wales this summer, and has also received offers from counties in England to play at the end of the Australian domestic season.

2002 baggygreen.com.au

Old October 28, 2002, 01:00 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default sad...

I liked him...he will be missed definitely....
Old October 28, 2002, 03:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater
Default Boohoo.....this is sad

he was and still is one of my favourite and i'm REALLY sad. I need cheering up
Old October 28, 2002, 10:37 AM
Street Cricketer

I just wonder how the Australian team will perform when all the current players or at least half of them retire.
Old October 28, 2002, 03:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Only Australia would do something like this, drop a batsman like Mark Waugh. I am biased because he was one of my favourite batsmen, but it is sad anyway that a player of his calibre who has been such a valuable member of the Aussie squad had to retire in this way. Sort of shows the strength of Australia, any other Test side would pay to have Mark Waugh.
As for Lehman, he is a prolific scorer but I wonder if it would have been better to blood in one of the younger guys who have a lot more cricket in them, someone like Clarke, Hussey or Katich.
Old October 28, 2002, 04:01 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা
Default Aussies

First of, Australia is not one of my favorites. Which is wierd because I think they have easily been the best team in the world for the last 4-6 years. I guess the attitude has something to do with it and also you are always a little drawn to your first flings.

I was hoping ACB would pick Mark but looking at their player list, it was obvioud that Mark would not get it but I did not think he would retire from cricket. Now I am feeling a little old. All the players I grew up with are either retired or getting clsoe to it. I guess I will fell really old when players like Tendu starts to retire (of age).

Anyways, best of luck to Mark and hopefully Steve will stay with us till the world cup which Australia WILL NOT win because I said so. I also say that Bangladesh will win three matches but ....
Old October 28, 2002, 04:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Tehsin bhai, does this mean you are supporting England at the Ashes? Man, I seriously need a partner. Its not going to be fun alone when the Aussies go on the rampage.
Old October 28, 2002, 07:58 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা
Default The British are coming

Sham, count on me. Sad thing is, England has serious injury problem and that is notgoing to help them any.

Also, I think England CAN do it. Yes, it is going to require some luck and their best efforts but it's cricket and anything can happen.
Old October 29, 2002, 02:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Lehmann v Clarke

If Boof played for any other test nation (besides BD) he would have had more than 50 test. He has been the best player in the Sheffield Shield for about 5 years and has had a lot of amazing moments. It's right for them to pick him and I would put Michael Clarke in the side too. Lehmann has 3-4 years left as he is 32 and Clarke is playing for Australia "A" and is in his early 20s. Everyone remember I was the one who taught the about one of the greatest cricketers ever. Michael Clarke
Old October 29, 2002, 02:59 AM
Cricket Legend

This is almost as sad as the day Bradman died and probably more so than the day that Ian Healy retired