facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 15, 2015, 02:58 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Why haven't our fielding improved?

Assalamualykum

Is it just me or our fielding hasn't really improved that much after all these years? We still drop catches. I remember back when I was still learning what cricket is, as a young boy in the late 90s, Sri Lanka used to be one of the best fielding sides, while India was so much poorer. Now Indians are almost as good as Sri Lankans in fielding, but we haven't improved. We still miss catches, mostly in crucial moments, almost in every match. Does it require the cricketing infrastructure like Australia, India, England etc. have to improve in fielding? If not, why hasn't our fielding improved?

Old March 15, 2015, 03:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sachin, Ganguly, Kohli

i have not watched BD matches fully in this WC. But i think that except that match against SL , BD fielding was okay, though not brilliant.
Old March 15, 2015, 03:03 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Milon_
i have not watched BD matches fully in this WC. But i think that except that match against SL , BD fielding was okay, though not brilliant.
Missed two crucial catches against England and NZ respectively. The England one could have haunted us for years, but for Rubel.
Old March 15, 2015, 06:00 PM
Cricket Guru

The drop vs NZ is a bit too harsh, Nasir covered a lot of distance to even make the attempt, but yes Tamim's drop would have haunted us for years like SRK's final over vs Pak in 2012
Old March 15, 2015, 06:07 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I'd say when Tamim is your weakest link on the field then it's a pretty good fielding unit. We improved by a lot just by getting rid of Razzak's ***.
Old March 15, 2015, 06:19 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
I'd say when Tamim is your weakest link on the field then it's a pretty good fielding unit. We improved by a lot just by getting rid of Razzak's ***.
I'm not convinced with Mushfiq as a wicket keeper. Yes, I know he took four catches against England, but I've seen him missing many catches(1 against Sri Lanka too in this WC). Yes, he deserves to be in the team just as a batsman alone, but I think we have not had a wicket keeper as good as Khaled Mashud since his retirement.
Old March 15, 2015, 06:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Our fielding is ok. We used to be a great fielding unit under Whatmore and under Siddons.

However the fielding has gone down in the past years.
Old March 15, 2015, 06:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

"মেদ, ভুরী ... কি করি ? "

We don't have a good fielding coach and even the current coach probably didn't get enough tournaments to make them better. Batting and bowling, the players might do with some sincerity in the practice session. I'm sure they won't do the actual ground fielding practices very seriously without the real matches. I hope if they are focussed in the match and have that hunger to win the match against India and onwards...they will lift their fielding automatically. It's not something unknown to them. Just need their desire to do it.
Old March 15, 2015, 06:33 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_realist
I'm not convinced with Mushfiq as a wicket keeper. Yes, I know he took four catches against England, but I've seen him missing many catches(1 against Sri Lanka too in this WC). Yes, he deserves to be in the team just as a batsman alone, but I think we have not had a wicket keeper as good as Khaled Mashud since his retirement.
Yeah scratch that. I think Rahim is our weakest link. The most important fielding position in cricket! And with Anam down, we don't have a back up!
Old March 15, 2015, 10:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Assalamualykum

Is it just me or our fielding hasn't really improved that much after all these years? We still drop catches. I remember back when I was still learning what cricket is, as a young boy in the late 90s, Sri Lanka used to be one of the best fielding sides, while India was so much poorer. Now Indians are almost as good as Sri Lankans in fielding, but we haven't improved. We still miss catches, mostly in crucial moments, almost in every match. Does it require the cricketing infrastructure like Australia, India, England etc. have to improve in fielding? If not, why hasn't our fielding improved?
Fielding is mostly practice. Once graduated from BKSP, joining for a club, how many hours do a person practice fielding? Do you have your answer why we still drop catches?

These skills are harnessed and improved outside the national team.
Old March 16, 2015, 03:04 AM
Cricket Legend

I think there are two levels that need to be achieved in fielding.

Level 1

You hold on to all your catches, you dont misfield, you throw accurately enough from deep or short so that keeper/receiver doesnt have to significantly move. You save the odd boundary on the ropes.

I think we are already there/or rather almost there. The Sri Lanka game was an exception. Clearly we lost all confidence after Anamul's drop catch, and lets not forget we are not used to playing in such a massive ground like MCG.

Level 2

Holding on to a catch, not misfielding is a given. At this level you save plenty of runs in the circle and ropes by making athletic dives. Your fielders are so pumped up and aggressive, batsmen also think twice about taking a 2 or taking a quick single. Your fielders can take outrageous catches from half chances. Your fielders also hit the stumps regularly-not a matter of luck.

India, South Africa and to some extent Australia would fall in here. India in particular very dangerous in the field.

Imo there is a lot of work to be done before we reach the second level. But this is also for sure, it cant be achieved by solely doing drills before a tournament. Likes of Jonty Rhodes, Gibbs, Ponting used to spend a lot of their own time practicing how to hit stumps, catches etc. This means the likes of Nasir, Sabbir must be prepared to do a lot of training and behind the scenes work on their own initiative.

Besides the technical aspect, fielding is also influenced by fitness, and the mental aspect. The first aspect too requires a individual effort from players. The second is sth that wont come overnight. For instance Nasir Hossain certainly has more confidence/aggression in fielding than Rajin Saleh, and Saleh more than Javed Omar. Also how many mentally strong brave players do we have in the squad? Not many. See how Sarkar is so much better than predecessors. Raina, Jadeja, Kohli are so much better than the Ajay Jadeja's. Slowly in the time to come we will see much strong minded cricketers, as our overall cricket continues to improve. These are guys who wont put down catches like Anamul and Tamim did.
Old March 16, 2015, 03:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Good news is we are under the right hands. I think we have one of the best fielding coaches in the World atm. For those who dont know Halsall, a couple of nice articles

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/c...n-8714904.html

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ichard-halsall
Old March 16, 2015, 03:11 AM
Cricket Guru

The newer generation players coming through are all excellent fielders, in a few years time we should have a strong fielding side.
Old March 16, 2015, 05:30 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh

I think we are already there/or rather almost there. The Sri Lanka game was an exception. Clearly we lost all confidence after Anamul's drop catch, and lets not forget we are not used to playing in such a massive ground like MCG.
If that's the case then we are surely doomed for the India game. Personally I don't think our cricketers are THAT fragile mentally.
Old March 16, 2015, 11:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
The newer generation players coming through are all excellent fielders, in a few years time we should have a strong fielding side.
Have you seen some of Mominul's work in the field? I dont know how he got picked to be the 12th man ahead of Nasir. Even Taskin was kind of sloppy on the field during the Scotland game.
Old March 16, 2015, 11:21 PM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz, Sabbir, Taskin

With the exception of Sabbir, Soumya, Nasir, and Shakib(to some extent) our fielding is very ordinary. Tamim used to be exceptional but his fitness is holding him back example being the dropped catch and poor running in England game.
Old March 17, 2015, 12:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
Have you seen some of Mominul's work in the field? I dont know how he got picked to be the 12th man ahead of Nasir. Even Taskin was kind of sloppy on the field during the Scotland game.
Not every player is going to be fantastic, compare this generation to the previous and you will notice a sharp difference.
Old March 17, 2015, 01:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

I don't know what you guys are saying but I just saw a statistics a while back which showed that Bangladesh has dropped fewer catches than most of the teams in this world cup so far. Not even in the top 10 list of catches dropped by a side. Top was Pakistan and Zimbabwe with 13 drops. Bangladesh dropped a grand total of 7 catches in 5 matches, 3 of which was against Srilanka match.

Furthermore, our ground fielding has been good. There were a lot of chances of the ball going to the fence but the dives put in reduced it to 2s instead of 4. Also, we were able to hit the stumps accurately when it mattered, particularly in the England match.
Old March 17, 2015, 02:13 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Jonty Rhodes

You cannot make grown ups dive around and become athletic over night. Also because of the lack of grass that most sub-cont kids play on. We don't have the luxury of open parks with lush green grass to dive around, tbh. When I say we, I mean the whole of South Asia.
Old March 17, 2015, 03:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_friend_13
You cannot make grown ups dive around and become athletic over night. Also because of the lack of grass that most sub-cont kids play on. We don't have the luxury of open parks with lush green grass to dive around, tbh. When I say we, I mean the whole of South Asia.
valid point.
Old March 17, 2015, 08:07 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_friend_13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
valid point.
These pro cricketers has been playing proper youth cricket almost since pre-teen age. They must have been playing in spacious grounds. How many years does it take to develop better fielding skills?
Old March 17, 2015, 09:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Lack of Fitness & It's a Mindset as well.

Our Ground fielding is comical.

Look at Brendon McCullum in the last match
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old March 17, 2015, 09:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Its not mindset,not talent and its definitely not race or religion just fitness and practice. Whoever willing to put in the hard yards will reap the rewards.

Bangladesh should drop players who are not fit, do that for few times and you will get yourself a good fielding side.
Old March 17, 2015, 10:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: ATM - No One.

BD fielding is just behind SL for me. So 3rd atm. Better than Pakistan fielding, without a doubt!
Old March 17, 2015, 02:23 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Jonty Rhodes

Quote:
These pro cricketers has been playing proper youth cricket almost since pre-teen age. They must have been playing in spacious grounds. How many years does it take to develop better fielding skills?
Considering I was raised in Bombay, I can definitely tell you that I did start playing cricket at the age of 5 and I didn't really like diving around on concrete grounds, ya know. Cricket is still pretty new in Bangladesh comparatively and hardly anyone plays the game (Lived in Dhaka for 3 months and travelled extensively around BD) Fielding skills might not take a lot of time to develop but athleticism cannot be taught. Period.

And stay classy, my friend.