facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: How was the world cup in your view?
The best ever 5 15.15%
Quite good 14 42.42%
Average 10 30.30%
Poor 3 9.09%
Worst ever 1 3.03%
Other (please clarify) 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 29, 2015, 08:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few
Default How Was This World Cup from a Neutral Perspective?

I expected A LOT more to be honest. Even if you are happy with the performance of the team you were supporting, this world cup as a whole was a huge let down, especially after such an exciting edition of 2011. I would actually consider this world cup as one of the worst ever because of these issues:

1. Too many one sided games: You can count the most exciting matches on two fingers. Just a handful of thrillers like NZ vs SA, BD vs Eng, SL vs Afg, ZIm vs Ire and that's about it.

2. Toss was too big of a factor: This was another annoying thing about this world cup. In Australian grounds, almost all the teams that chose to bat first after winning the toss won by quite a big margin. I can't remember the last time I saw so many wins by 90-100+ runs in a world cup.

3. Lack of interest from the Aussie spectators: Since most of the games took place in Australia, lots were depending on the Aussie spectators in order to make the world cup a blast. Unfortunately they totally let the tournament down. The matches between the neutral teams couldn't even fill 50% of the gallery, unless one of the teams were India. Even more disappointing was when the Indian spectators actually outnumbered the Aussies at MCG in a semi final involving Australia! In fact even the ICC making the captains urge the spectators to come to the matches did not work. However, the NZ crowd was top notch in the matches involving the home side.

4. Umpiring: The umpiring was below par in some important matches, but that was actually the least of the problems this world cup had.

So, what do you think? Was this world cup good enough for you? Share your thoughts please.

Old March 29, 2015, 09:14 AM
Test Cricketer

True that a lot of matches were one sided but I think the quality of cricket was good. Batters smashed records and bowlers showed skills and power. That tells a lot about the pitches. Although they were deliberately made batting friendly there were some incredible bowling performances both from pacers and spinners. Thats because there were true bounce in the pitches. Sangakara made 4 consecutive centuries, Gayle and Guptil smashed double centuries. 38 centuries were scored which is highest ever for a world cup. There were more 6s and 300+ team totals than any other previous world cups. Even our Ryad scored two. There were awesome display of fast bowling from the likes of Starc, Johnson, Boult, Riaz, Shami. Our pacers collectively did well as well. Spinners like Ashwin, Vettori and Tahir did well for their teams.
Their was balance between bat and ball. Good efforts have been rewarded. That's what I like to see. I like to watch genuine fast bowling where bowlers hit the timber, make batsmen jumping and ducking.

About the crowd involvement, I don't really expect people outside subcontinent will ever be as enthusiastic about cricket as the people of subcontinent. They have so many sports they are good at that crowd get segregated in different sports. Cricket face stiff competition from other sports in non-subcontinetal countries. In Australia it's number 3/4 in terms of popularity. The number of people you saw at MCG in the final, you will see alomost similar (70-80k) numbers every week in Footy matches for over 6 months period.
Old March 29, 2015, 11:09 AM
First Class Cricketer

World cup is way too long. Just 14 teams, yet 49 games, really ridiculous.
Old March 29, 2015, 12:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

If anything, this world cup PROVED why the World cup needs bottom ranked teams to liven and lighten things up. This world cup would not have the same If Afghanistan, Ireland, Bangladesh, UAE, Scotland, Zimbabwe were not there, it would have become another boring Champions trophy tournament.
Old March 29, 2015, 03:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: BD Players, Starc, Waqar

I liked the format very much. All the team had opportunities to reach the QF. I feel like pool A was a little stronger than pool B.

Although this WC was a show for batsmen, bowlers did extremely well. It was really exciting to see Wahab Riaz, Starc, Johnson, Faulkner, Boult, Southee, Shammi, Steyn, and so on. But most importantly, BD made it to QF, SA made it to SF and NZ became the Runners-up. That gives us (the bottom of the list group) hope for the future.

At the same time, I was extremely disappointed to see the performances of WI and PAK...so many talents gone wasted. ZIM's board has to wake up before it's too late. Brendan Taylor was amazing, but he was the lonely man fighting. Porterfield and his group played well. I think ICC should give them the Test status.

Overall, it was a great world cup. Well done Organizers of the ICC WC'15.
Old March 29, 2015, 09:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Games were waaay too one-sided, and winning the toss basically meant you won the game

Last edited by NoName; March 30, 2015 at 03:30 AM..
Old March 29, 2015, 09:43 PM
Club Cricketer

In 49 matches, when you have just 4 competitive matches
that's ire vs Zim
bang vs eng
sa vs nz
aus vs nz (gs)
With 38 centuries and sr of 90
u know it's one of the worst wc along with 2007 , it's not even 10%.
Old March 30, 2015, 06:33 AM
Cricket Legend

This WC reflects two very important things to me

1) Its now a batsmans game. Not too long ago you could score 180-200 and defend it. Even if would lose, you could stretch game to penultimate overs. Now games are finishing in 30 overs. T20 definitely has a big impact, so do the 4 fielder, 2 new ball rule. In South Africa, West Indies, England WC's you had good wickets, and then the difficult ones. This tournament every wicket was a belter. Maybe ICC is thinking it wants more centuries and sixes to bring ppl to the stadiums. But will stadiums fill if all games are one sided? Which brings me to the next point.

2) Growing disparity between stronger and lesser teams. Lesser teams dont mean BD, Zimbabwe and associates. One can comfortably add Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies, England to the list. Play in subcontinent, you will have to add New Zealand. One reason why we had so many one sided games.

I have always feared for the future of this game. This WC has stirred up some of these doubts nicely. ICC shouldnt only think abt making the game entertaining, and money. They must make it a more level playing field and grow interest beyond the big 3 or 4.
Old March 30, 2015, 09:46 AM
Cricket Legend

The final was disappointing partly because of Brendon M's. dismissal early in the stage. Had he been around, even for 6-7 overs, it would have been a different ball game all together.
Old March 31, 2015, 07:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Habib bhai I'll also add the 1st match between Aus & NZ
This world cup was average, too many one sided matches, too many runs, batsmen made bowlers look ridiculous , Aus,Nz & Ind bowlers did well.
The final was a huge disappointment.

But a good one for BD, so I won't complain more.

BTW, I don't remember how competitive was 2011 WC ?
Old March 31, 2015, 10:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Like Michael Holding says, Batsmen needs to revert their bats to the older size. ICC needs to put some restrictions on bat sizes. why? then we won't see top edges going for sixes, a genuine batsmen mistake where a shot is miscued should not be going for a six. also the entire bat is a sweet spot as opposed to just the middle. Ignoring the two new ball rule and fielding restrictions, I think just this change alone can shift balance towards the bowlers a little bit more.
Old March 31, 2015, 10:18 PM
Cricket Guru

New Zealand - the find of the tournament. Loved everything about them. At one point, I was thinking to select 8 New Zealand players for my fantasy team but that would be counter-intuitive....

Honestly speaking, the Pitches favoring the Batsmen Helped Bangladesh to a certain extent, 2014 Horror show also helped to a certain extent so the team was well prepared to prevent collapses. At the same time, Drop in pitches helped neutralize to a certain extent any type of Assistance you would naturally get from certain pitches like Adelaide and Hamilton.
Old March 31, 2015, 10:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Average for me. Loved watching our matches and some that involved SA and NZ...other ones not so much.
Old April 1, 2015, 04:48 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: TaMotu, GoBoy, Mashrafe

Best WC....BD did well. And loved those zing bells.
Old April 1, 2015, 12:49 PM
Cricket Sage

How was the world cup?

Like tok-misti aam. Ghawa sheyshey dekhi bhetorey ekta poka.