facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 30, 2015, 01:30 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Honestly answer, would you be as much interested in cricket if Bangladesh weren't doing well in it?

Assalamualykum

I personally find cricket boring, unless it's a breathtaking spell from someone like Wasim Akram, Shoaib Akhter, Shane Warne or Mitchel Starc. Even T20 isn't enough exciting or interesting for me. It's just that cricket doesn't have the level of variety or absolute uncertainty that football offers. Football is also far more thought-provoking like chess is with its formations, utilization of space on the pitch and its players, cricket doesn't do so enough for my liking.

I understand that everyone has his or her own views and choices, but it's just my personal choice. So, please don't feel offended.

Having said all that, would you be as interested in cricket as you are now, if Bangladesh have not been making gradual progress, albeit very slowly? I think when I was very young(in the 90s), people in Bangladesh used to be far more interested in football than in cricket, right? I heard that at the time the whole country would be totally consumed in excitement when Abahani v Mohammedan would occur in a football match, is that fact correct?

Please share your views.

Old March 30, 2015, 01:34 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Yes! Always been, and always will!

Old March 30, 2015, 01:36 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Witnessed 58 and 78. I will be with my tigers through thick and thin..
Old March 30, 2015, 01:42 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Two words: Shahadat Hossain Rajib
Old March 30, 2015, 01:48 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Two words: Shahadat Hossain Rajib
That's actually 3 words. :p
Old March 30, 2015, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Yes. Seriously?
Old March 30, 2015, 01:56 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Yes. Seriously?
Seriously vaiya. I wish our team was better in Football, football is wayyy more fun. But, desher jonnoi cricket ta dekhi mainly.
Old March 30, 2015, 01:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

It is a disease without any cure, so cant help it.
Old March 30, 2015, 02:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Honestly answering
#BukeHathRekheBolchi

I will still follow cricket. I started watching cricket before we even got test status. So that time most of the cricket watching was non-Bangladeshi matches.

Cricket is the sport I grew up with and it will always be a part of my life. I woke up at 5-6 AM in Dhaka time just to watch the Aussies play test match and then come back from school and watch England play which started at 3-4 PM. England team was crap that time too with Gough, Caddick, Atherton, Alec Stewart, Nick Knight etc. but I would still watch them. Then the WI games and Lara later at night. So I knew the time zones of these countries before I knew what continents they were in. I still count the multiplication table of 6 as they are the number of overs. 31 x 6 is 186 but I can't do that instant calculation with any other number.

comparing cricket to soccer says nothing. each sport has its own drama and variables.
Old March 30, 2015, 02:08 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Honestly answering
#BukeHathRekheBolchi

I will still follow cricket. I started watching cricket before we even got test status. So that time most of the cricket watching was non-Bangladeshi matches.

Cricket is the sport I grew up with and it will always be a part of my life. I woke up at 5-6 AM in Dhaka time just to watch the Aussies play test match and then come back from school and watch England play which started at 3-4 PM. England team was crap that time too with Gough, Caddick, Atherton, Alec Stewart, Nick Knight etc. but I would still watch them. Then the WI games and Lara later at night. So I knew the time zones of these countries before I knew what continents they were in. I still count the multiplication table of 6 as they are the number of overs. 31 x 6 is 186 but I can't do that instant calculation with any other number.

comparing cricket to soccer says nothing. each sport has its own drama and variables.
Hmm...Lara was genuinely exciting a batsman, perhaps he and Saeed Anwar were the only two batsmen to excite me as much as bowlers do or used to do(at present bowlers are doomed in cricket). I remember being awake for his 400 against England in 2004, although United were playing Leicester City at the same time that night.

Yeah lol, I remember how Ashes used to be back in the late nineties. :p Shane Warne didn't even need to bowl much, Stuart Macgill would be enough to destroy the English. I remember Darren Gough hat-trick very well too. He was probably the only genuine fast bowler England had at the time, not that they had any much better over the years either.
Old March 30, 2015, 02:17 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_realist
Hmm...Lara was genuinely exciting a batsman, perhaps he and Saeed Anwar were the only two batsmen to excite me as much as bowlers do or used to do. I remember being awake for his 400 against England in 2004, although United were playing Leicester City at the same time that night.

Yeah lol, I remember how Ashes used to be back in the late nineties. :p Shane Warne didn't even need to bowl much, Stuart Macgill would be enough to destroy the English. I remember Darren Gough hat-trick very well too. He was probably the only genuine fast bowler England had at the time, not that they had any much better over the years either.
I was a casual EPL fan. It wasn't that big in Dhaka when we were in school as it is now. So I watched the big games but was never a die-hard Man U or Chelsea etc. fan.

cricket lost some enigma because of over-scheduling and too many meaningless bilateral series. it used to be one big WC every four years. Now you have IPL, BBL, T20 wc every two years and then champions trophy on top of 10 ind-sl bilateral series. so it's hard to be interested for that long.

but I don't agree that cricket lacks variety. in fact it is so full of external variables.
--pitch
--condition
--climate
--captaincy
--toss
--format

change any of the factors and suddenly one favorite will become underdog. in football/basketball/baseball, toss/climate/pitch/condition/captaincy plays very small to no part.
Old March 30, 2015, 02:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Seriously realist, seriously speaking, Bukethadiyakau: You wouldn't be interested in Cricket if BD didn't play cricket yet you followed cricket in the 90s when BD didn't play cricket. What the heck?

You are as much drugged as the rest of us!!! Can't deny just by saying Football blah blah blah.
Old March 30, 2015, 02:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Not really. Somehow it lost its appeal to me.
Old March 30, 2015, 02:48 PM
Cricket Sage

No. No a chance. Instead most likely I would watch more baseball.
Old March 30, 2015, 02:55 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Witnessed 58 and 78. I will be with my tigers through thick and thin..
Witnessed ?

I went to stadium twice in 2011 world cup.
Guess which two matches they were !!
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 30, 2015, 03:59 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Witnessed ?

I went to stadium twice in 2011 world cup.
Guess which two matches they were !!
I remember your posts regarding those 2 matches. So no point of guessing
Old March 30, 2015, 04:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Yes of course. I started following cricket in '92 and have been following Bangladesh cricket since then. Lived through the heartbreak of '94 ICC Trophy which was probably the lowest/saddest point of our cricket history. So yes will always always love/follow cricket and our side regardless.
Old March 30, 2015, 04:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

If it wasnt for the Bangladesh team I dont think I would be that interested in cricket at all, Bangladesh brought out the passion of cricket in me. I still watch matches that dont involve Bangladesh but I just dont think I would have even got into cricket without starting to follow the Bangladesh side. It was from the Bangladesh vs India in WC 2007 from which my cricket following began and then after the WC finished I discovered BC and here I am till today
Old March 30, 2015, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I've attended every international national team match in the 80s until I left the country in 1990. During those times we used to be beaten by teams like PNG and Bermuda and the Dutch were a bridge too far. It has nothing to do with them doing well or not. Doing well is, of course, my reward for being with them through thick and thin.
Old March 30, 2015, 04:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

hell no! who the hell would follow this boring *** sport if Bangladesh wasnt in it? nobody would make time for themselves to watch the so called big matches.
Old March 30, 2015, 05:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

Not as passionately as i do now, but i would still catch cricinfo, statistical geekfesting , watch highlights here and there but i wouldn't go as far as taking a day off from work, or staying up all night to watch games.
Old March 30, 2015, 05:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

How are we doing "well" in cricket to begin with?? We have been the bottom ranked test team and fighting for 9th place with Zimbabwe for the past 10 years and we only have the edge because they gave up.

but if Bangladesh didnt play cricket at all, than I wouldnt follow the sport. Period
Old March 30, 2015, 07:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Following Cricket with passion, even when Bangladesh wasn't playing any international matches. Following Test cricket of even Gavaskar Era as a kid...

So YA don't agree that Cicket Lacks that attraction, but definitely it's not same as football...No two games are same. doesn't mean that you have to like a sport if they are similar...

So surely I would be following cricket even if Bangladesh wasn't playing; this simply became more attractive with Bangladesh in it.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Seriously realist, seriously speaking, Bukethadiyakau: You wouldn't be interested in Cricket if BD didn't play cricket yet you followed cricket in the 90s when BD didn't play cricket. What the heck?

You are as much drugged as the rest of us!!! Can't deny just by saying Football blah blah blah.
It was the ICC trophy win in 1997(I was 10 then) that made me follow cricket. We were so optimistic back then, despite the fact that tiny Kenya used to hammer us almost every time. Lol...
Old March 30, 2015, 08:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
How are we doing "well" in cricket to begin with?? We have been the bottom ranked test team and fighting for 9th place with Zimbabwe for the past 10 years and we only have the edge because they gave up.

but if Bangladesh didnt play cricket at all, than I wouldnt follow the sport. Period
Vai, I don't know how old you are, but trust me, our present team is wayyyy better than what we had in 2003. OMG! It was such a shame, the way they used to play cricket at the the time. Even Canada hammered us in that world cup. We needed 5 years to win another ODI after amazingly beating Pakistan in WC99. For 5 years, the "kathaa-balish" of our "maan-ijjot" used to be taken every now and then by minnows like Kenya and whatnot.