facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 31, 2016, 04:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
Default Progress to the Quarter Finals of ICC Under 19 World Cup - Congrats Bangladesh

It seems like we are through to the Quarters, now it's time to become the group champion and avoid a clash with the Indians before the finals and also to celebrate this occasion. It's about time after many many counts of frustrating years of winning a consolation prize of the plate finals (who cares). This team may lack a good pace attack and questionable opening pair but it is proving to be just enough till now because they are working together. I am very impressed with some of the talents so far, but they havent been tested with a team who have the firepower and who play spin well. So if an opposition does get to score 300+ I think we will fall short. But Miraz, Shanto, Saifuddin have done what Soumya, Liton, Mustafizur couldn't do. So that speaks volumes.

Nevertheless, it is time we celebrate and if we become the group champion then we will clash against the Nepalese in Quarters, and from there it might mean Pakistan in the Semis who I am a bit worried about but we should get through to the Quarters if we can beat Namibia next. And if we can get through Pakistan we may win this world cup!

Congrats to the team on crossing the first barrier, Quarter Finals here we come!

Old January 31, 2016, 04:30 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Didn't you said this team has no hope few weeks ago?

How time has changed ur opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
Write this down, we aint progressing beyond the 1st round, too much dependence on spin, a team that has no good fast bowlers, captain never bowls mehedi hasan rana eventhough he is highly rated and too much over confidence. Another plate championship on the cards, I have said this before doesn't matter who we play against and win series against, we will always suck at the main event and that's what counts the most.

We need an aggressive team.

Quote:
I have absolutely zero expectations from this Bangladeshi U19 team. Fact is the captain and everyone believes the main weapon is spin, they got 4 spinners would you believe it. When an opposition sees this team composition, they are likely to get a mental edge even before the game. We will never be any good on the world stage with arm rotators. The script has already been written, spin = doomed. U19 WC = Plate championship, Selectors = Bolod, Captain = Misplaced.
Old January 31, 2016, 04:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Lol yeh he said we wouldn't get past the group stage mmw
Old January 31, 2016, 04:47 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib al Hasan

The team management must get rid of Saif Hasan from next match.
Old January 31, 2016, 04:50 AM

Yeah Saif needs to be reminded to keep his SR above 60 minimum or kick him out.

I would rather play with 10 players
Old January 31, 2016, 05:05 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Saif is a certified match loser. Just two fours against scotland...so many dot balls. Er ki mama chacha bcb director naki?
Old January 31, 2016, 06:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
Didn't you said this team has no hope few weeks ago?

How time has changed ur opinion
Aint gonna lie, I didnt have much expecations but I am the first to congratulate them anyways! I still do have reservations in these spinners, and we haven't yet been tested against a top quality side like Pakistan, India or SL in this condition. And my point about Mehedi Rana is still quite valid, Abdul Halim has hardly contributed and isn't even bowled!

Will take my words back though, and will eat a deservedly humble pie .. Feels good to see we have a chance at the title this time.
Old January 31, 2016, 07:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Nadim the investigator....

Congrats on making it to the next round my brothers on the under 19 team.
Old January 31, 2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Aint gonna lie, I didnt have much expecations but I am the first to congratulate them anyways! I still do have reservations in these spinners, and we haven't yet been tested against a top quality side like Pakistan, India or SL in this condition. And my point about Mehedi Rana is still quite valid, Abdul Halim has hardly contributed and isn't even bowled!

Will take my words back though, and will eat a deservedly humble pie .. Feels good to see we have a chance at the title this time.
Yeah agree with Rana not getting games.

It's a strange decision not to pick him when he quick and did pretty well whenever he got an opportunity. This decision is not alone from the Captain tho. Coach and advisor also has a role to pick the playing XI.

But since they qualified, I expect Rana to replace Halim in the final OD.
Old January 31, 2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
Yeah Saif needs to be reminded to keep his SR above 60 minimum or kick him out.

I would rather play with 10 players
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Saif is a certified match loser. Just two fours against scotland...so many dot balls. Er ki mama chacha bcb director naki?
I thought Saif played well today. He kept the other side while we lost two quick wickets, no?
Old January 31, 2016, 07:56 AM

Congratulations, the Nepal match should not be tough, but the Semis would be.
Old January 31, 2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon
Congratulations, the Nepal match should not be tough, but the Semis would be.
Don't we have to beat the Namibians first!!!?

Compliancy might cost us...again!
Old January 31, 2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Don't we have to beat the Namibians first!!!?

Compliancy might cost us...again!
Well in that way India also had to beat Nepal. Otherwise, it's the same Bangladesh Nepal game.
Old January 31, 2016, 10:14 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
I thought Saif played well today. He kept the other side while we lost two quick wickets, no?
We were playing scotland not west indies from the 70s in perth
Old January 31, 2016, 10:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Absolutely not, in this day an age, on flat wickets a SR of 48 is not justifiable. Infact, you can actually argue that his slow batting was the reason why the others had to be adventurous and eventually got out trying to be a bit aggressive. Then again, didnd't watch the match.

Even if you lose 3-4 wickets at the other end, you have to keep going. This is not test cricket by any means necessary. Honestly, 256 is a "sub-par" total against a team like Afghanistan when WI scored almost 300 against Zim while teams like England blew away Fiji. This is actually a classic case of winning against weak teams which gives us the delusion that we got all bases covered. We won against Scotland, a relatively weak team, and SA who lost even to Namibia. We are in a sense unlucky because if we had faced better sides like Pak, Lanka we would be be able to understand our weaknesses.

Seems like team management is more busy celebrating QF berth rather than how to progress from here. I haven't seen much of Saif, but his kind of batting is as detrimental to the team as was Shahadat's bowling
Old January 31, 2016, 04:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

U-19 boys have a way of getting screwed when they dont choke. Beat afgans by 10 wickets last time, then watched Afghans knock us out of the torunament.

We could either lose to Namibia, or India loses to Nepal so that we end up losing to India in the quarters.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 31, 2016, 05:50 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
Absolutely not, in this day an age, on flat wickets a SR of 48 is not justifiable. Infact, you can actually argue that his slow batting was the reason why the others had to be adventurous and eventually got out trying to be a bit aggressive. Then again, didnd't watch the match.

Even if you lose 3-4 wickets at the other end, you have to keep going. This is not test cricket by any means necessary. Honestly, 256 is a "sub-par" total against a team like Afghanistan when WI scored almost 300 against Zim while teams like England blew away Fiji. This is actually a classic case of winning against weak teams which gives us the delusion that we got all bases covered. We won against Scotland, a relatively weak team, and SA who lost even to Namibia. We are in a sense unlucky because if we had faced better sides like Pak, Lanka we would be be able to understand our weaknesses.

Seems like team management is more busy celebrating QF berth rather than how to progress from here. I haven't seen much of Saif, but his kind of batting is as detrimental to the team as was Shahadat's bowling
Thanks for explaining it nicely.
Old January 31, 2016, 07:37 PM

SR discussion, one fact. No team has chased more than 250 in an u19 WC. Even in flat pitches, u19 guys can't score as fast as their senior counterparts. So adjust the SR upward by 25% to compare with seniors.
Old January 31, 2016, 09:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
I followed the game online. Followed the post match comments of Shanto. The ball wasn't coming to the bat. That is why Scotland could not keep up with required runrate. But i agree Saif could rotate the strike at a better rate. It was 20 SR for a better part of the game. He don't take much risk.
Quote:
Even if you lose 3-4 wickets at the other end, you have to keep going. This is not test cricket by any means necessary. Honestly, 256 is a "sub-par" total against a team like Afghanistan when WI scored almost 300 against Zim while teams like England blew away Fiji. ...
Have those team played the games in Cox's bazar and on the same pitch? If not, then this explanation don't hold water. 256 was more than sub-par score.
Old January 31, 2016, 09:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Congratulations from downunder,you achieved your position with aplumb.
Old January 31, 2016, 10:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I followed the game online. Followed the post match comments of Shanto. The ball wasn't coming to the bat. That is why Scotland could not keep up with required runrate. But i agree Saif could rotate the strike at a better rate. It was 20 SR for a better part of the game. He don't take much risk.

Have those team played the games in Cox's bazar and on the same pitch? If not, then this explanation don't hold water. 256 was more than sub-par score.
Early on it is definitely difficult to bat because there is slight nudge movement.

But after you face 40-50 balls you accelerate. Saif not only wasted those deliveries but he also got out after being set playing a 100 balls, when the conditions eased off.

And I feel that we are capable of scoring far more than 256, and don't forget opposition is Scotland. We have a very good team, but if we want to progress we need a better opener.

Saif scores 55 in 134 balls in the tournament. England's David Lawrence scored a 100 in 100 balls yesterday where he accelerated at the end.
Old January 31, 2016, 11:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Barring Saif, who i think needs to try to rotate the strikes and find the boundaries a bit more, we have a balanced batting lineup with some aggressors like Saeed and Saifuddin down the order. Spin attack is balanced but pace attack isn't as threatening really particularly in the early overs when the ball will seam. I would like to have a look of Mehdi hasan rana next match
Old February 1, 2016, 03:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Quote:
Early on it is definitely difficult to bat because there is slight nudge movement.

But after you face 40-50 balls you accelerate. Saif not only wasted those deliveries but he also got out after being set playing a 100 balls, when the conditions eased off.

And I feel that we are capable of scoring far more than 256, and don't forget opposition is Scotland. We have a very good team, but if we want to progress we need a better opener.

Saif scores 55 in 134 balls in the tournament. England's David Lawrence scored a 100 in 100 balls yesterday where he accelerated at the end.
Given the opposition, score should've atleast been 270 as a bare minimum.
Old February 1, 2016, 05:23 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Nepal fell flat against India. I must face them in the QF. Beat Namibia by any means!!!
Old February 1, 2016, 10:28 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib , Mushfiqur

If we can beat Namibia today, path to our semi final is clear InshahAllah.