facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 5, 2016, 01:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Congratulations Bangladesh!!

TIGER FRIENDS!!!

How is all of my wonderful friends (and detractors)? It's been a long time!! . Just want to congratulate you guys on having a team reach the semi-final of an ICC competition for the first time .

But you know me folks!!..sometimes i have to administer some home truths just for balance sake...so here we go.

1. Though the BD u19 team is very talented. They have a distinct advantage where experience is concerned. Many of the BD players have played 30 to 50 games at u19 level. Compare that to our kids for example who only played together for the first time in that mini series against BD a few weeks ago. So experience wise the BD has a big advantage against a few sides left in the competition.

2. First class experience is also very prevalent within the BD team which is a huge thing at u19 level. South Africa and NZ didn't have kids with too much first class experience and thus they were dumped out early. We have two players in the side with first class experience and just about made it through.

3. Home advantage is also a big thing at this level. BD in recent times through various levels have started to do well at home...it would be a great triumph for BD cricket if the u19s win it but still the lingering doubts about away performances would remain if the youngsters are only doing it at home like the seniors.

4. And finally a word of caution. Winning the u19 world cup won't suddenly mean you'll be seeing a world beating team at senior level in five years time. South Africa won the last one in 2014 and look at the state they are in right now? All they have to show for it is Rabada and batsmen are light on the ground for them at the moment. India won the one previous to that in 2012 and none of that team has come through to play for India.

But anyway it's good to see BD cricket heading in the right direction at last!!..and i look forward to when the mighty Windies face the tigers again home or away .

Old February 5, 2016, 04:22 PM
BC Editorial Team

WindiesFan, welcome back. Shouldn't y'all beat Pakistan first?
Old February 5, 2016, 05:01 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
WindiesFan, welcome back. Shouldn't y'all beat Pakistan first?
LOL i doubt we will tbh...this years selection was rather poor . Joseph of course could go on to be a superstar, Pope looks decent and Springer too!!..while a few 16 year olds in the squad (Stewert and Kallicheran) look to have big futures but the squad as a whole just doesn't look as good as the ones we've had previously.

There's a 17 year old pacer by the name of Chemar Holder who lit up our senior one day competition the other day and he looked every bit as promising as Joseph but somehow the selectors missed him. Shiv's son Tagnerine should be there too along with a couple of others.

If we don't make it past Pakistan then a BD vs India final would be interesting to see .
Old February 5, 2016, 05:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

The senior team already has world beating potential in ODIs. In tests, i see us being in the top 5 within 5 years. You and shade can quote me on that!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 5, 2016, 05:49 PM

I am cheering for you team in the Q-Final, WindieFan. And, welcome back!
Old February 5, 2016, 07:03 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
The senior team already has world beating potential in ODIs. In tests, i see us being in the top 5 within 5 years. You and shade can quote me on that!
Come on al...only when you start winning some games away from home will this be a possibility. Being a "world beating team" is not easy!!..our t20 side is currently world beating having won against Australia, South Africa, Sri-lanka, BD, England etc away from home in that format...plus a world cup.

When you go to places like Australia on seaming tracks...or play in a cold winter in England...those are when the skills of your side are truly tested. No doubt though the one day form is very encouraging...tests though? I want to see BD winning some games first before I'm fully convinced that a corner is turned in that format.
Old February 5, 2016, 07:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
I am cheering for you team in the Q-Final, WindieFan. And, welcome back!
Cheers my friend
Old February 5, 2016, 08:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieFan
Come on al...only when you start winning some games away from home will this be a possibility. Being a "world beating team" is not easy!!..our t20 side is currently world beating having won against Australia, South Africa, Sri-lanka, BD, England etc away from home in that format...plus a world cup.

When you go to places like Australia on seaming tracks...or play in a cold winter in England...those are when the skills of your side are truly tested. No doubt though the one day form is very encouraging...tests though? I want to see BD winning some games first before I'm fully convinced that a corner is turned in that format.
We are already a top 5 level ODI side. In tests we will be there in 5 years inshallah.

Top 5 in both formats within 5 years. Five in five.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 5, 2016, 09:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

To win away you need to get the chance to play away tours. How many have BD played away recent years? Hardly any. Teams wernt inviting BD. So stop thinking BD only good at home.
Things will change InshAllah, now that BD a true force in ODI's. Next 3years I'm sure lots of away tours will happen and you shall see BD Tigers do well away too, given the opportunity to play games away!
Old February 6, 2016, 02:59 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
We are already a top 5 level ODI side. In tests we will be there in 5 years inshallah.

Top 5 in both formats within 5 years. Five in five.
Top five in sub-continent conditions? I agree. But lets all be honest BD's progress will never been fully recognised until some away wins are seen. It doesn't even have to be about winning in England, Aus and SA!!!..can BD win in SL? Can they win a game in NZ? Can they come to the Caribbean and challenge us aswell? That's what we need to see al. Because though a few things have changed since then the last time BD were in the Caribbean it was a wipeout.
Old February 6, 2016, 03:49 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Top five in sub-continent conditions? I agree. But lets all be honest BD's progress will never been fully recognised until some away wins are seen. It doesn't even have to be about winning in England, Aus and SA!!!..can BD win in SL? Can they win a game in NZ? Can they come to the Caribbean and challenge us aswell? That's what we need to see al. Because though a few things have changed since then the last time BD were in the Caribbean it was a wipeout.
We would have won the world cup game in NZ if we took the review on Guptill, so yes we can win anywhere. West Indies are ranked far below us in ODIs, so the question is would WI challenge us in the caribbean? We have an 11 point lead that will swell to 20 plus when its updated. Maybe even 30.

Keep in mind our pace attack is better than our spinners.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 6, 2016, 03:07 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
We would have won the world cup game in NZ if we took the review on Guptill, so yes we can win anywhere. West Indies are ranked far below us in ODIs, so the question is would WI challenge us in the caribbean? We have an 11 point lead that will swell to 20 plus when its updated. Maybe even 30.

Keep in mind our pace attack is better than our spinners.
We barely played ODI's last year..infact i can't remember many at all which was the foolish mistake our board made that cost us a place in the next champions trophy. We aren't the best ODI side but at home we don't buckle easily my friend .

The new pacer you guys have in the test team looks very talented indeed and it's good to see a decent pacer emerge finally...but one more needs to rise up to partner him going forward i think. Any more coming up the ranks now?
Old February 6, 2016, 03:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
We...

... Any more coming up the ranks now?

Have you heard of or seen Abu Haider Rony bowl?
Old February 6, 2016, 03:19 PM
Cricket Sage

@WindieFan, I like the looks of the 'Springer" guy.....

I'm quite disappointed with Shimron...boy's got all the talent in the world...I've heard and seen him play since he was stand-by for the Young Warriors cricket club 1st Division team when he was 13/14...

I do hope he plays a captain's innings tomorrow, the way Miraz played for his team..

He should lead the team primarily with his batting....

Hope for the best . I'll be rooting for my Windies team tomorrow nite.

Rally, rally round the West Indies Now and forever!!!!!

:flagofwindies:
Old February 6, 2016, 03:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
We barely played ODI's last year..infact i can't remember many at all which was the foolish mistake our board made that cost us a place in the next champions trophy. We aren't the best ODI side but at home we don't buckle easily my friend .

The new pacer you guys have in the test team looks very talented indeed and it's good to see a decent pacer emerge finally...but one more needs to rise up to partner him going forward i think. Any more coming up the ranks now?
The rankings arent just based on last year.

Two more. There is Taskin who clocked 145.6 km/h in the caribbean when he wass just 19 and Abu Haider who is talented and can also bowl up to 140 based on my estimates. He is also just 19.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 6, 2016, 07:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

1. We gained experience, but we did not stop others to get one.
2. First class slotted in, this deserves an appreciation not a comparative analysis with others, again nobody is stopping other youth team to gain experience in their domestic leagues.
3. Home advantage - this card is like the strawman for any visitors, cricket itself needs to get over it.
4. Only argument gets some validity although none in BC thinks like that, go over the match threads and the threads dedicated to those players, you will know.

BTW good to see you back and hope you remain regular. And off-course thanks for the cheers.
Old February 6, 2016, 09:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

You cant argue that Bangladesh is not a top team in cricket.. It's a definite and is just a matter of when and where now.

Fact of the matter is we do have a good cricketing structure now with international stadiums all over the country, we have better training facilities, we have a huge fanbase of passionate followers who not only know the game well but breath it, we are starting to have a good bench strengh. Everything is under motion and has been for the last decade.

The fans know this because they see the results of the developments. We never had a batsman like Soumya going at a 100+ SR from the start of his career, nor did we have a bowler like Mustafizur who bowled at 140s swinging and cutting the ball... And this is just the start because in years to come you will see more and more talented cricketers from Bangladesh, probably more than any other country. It's just a given.
Old February 7, 2016, 12:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Agree on ODI format. Bangladesh would need to win abroad to show that we are truly worldclass. Which I think we can, especially since our performance in the worldcup in Aus was pretty good, we almost beat NZ at their home ground!

In test cricket, condition and pitches matter more than any other versions. Except the West Indies team of the 70s/80s and probably Aussies in late 90s/ 2000 no other team has consistently won series abroad. At present time, Aus, SA and England would have hard time winning test series in India. Similary, I don't see India winning any test series in Australia or South Africa; even in NZ, England they would struggle.

So it would be unfair to expect Bangladesh to start winning test series in Australia or SA. Since no other team can do that..
Old February 7, 2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:

So it would be unfair to expect Bangladesh to start winning test series in Australia or SA. Since no other team can do that..
Right. But not winning series, winning a few odd tests against weaker SL or WI should be the starting point.
Old February 7, 2016, 01:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

HELLO FRIEND WindieFan,

Best of luck to both team West Indies and team Bangladesh. West Indies is indeed the Mighty West indies. The cricket culture, heritage and history of West Indies is Everest like to me and to all tiger fans. When it comes to cricket, we look upto the the legends of West Indies cricket. Deepest of respect. And thank you for congratulating team Bangladesh on it's recent performance.

But a lot of your posts begin to sound like a whining, looking for excuses, weak hearted blabbers. The sound of these posts DO NOT echo the powerful thumping of Marshall, Holding, Garner or Walsh. And they definitely DO NOT do any justice to the greats like Greenidge, Richards, Richardson, Chanderpaul, Kalicharan or Lara. You come from a very powerful cricketing heritage, kindly start to sound like one in your posts.

And
a. about our team's experience issue. It is NOT a team's fault that it has a lot of experience and ain't nobody holding back or chaining down the other teams from matching up to that. Capish?

b. When the west Indies cricket board creates a team, the world sees that team as the best possible team coming from West Indies, representing the islands of the Caribbean. It is NOT and should not be a forgiving factor if the board failed to choose the right player or player of YOUR choice. If your board is corrupt and act with favouritism, that is your problem, should NOT be used as an excuse in an International meeting. Listen man, we Bangladesh have our own problems with our board, government, system and corruption. But we do not see that as other people's problem if our team failed to perform. When we field an XI, we accept them as our best XI wearing our national jersey, just like we accept the playing West Indies XI as the best possible XI from West Indies, Period.
Old February 7, 2016, 02:45 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^hahaha never seen bk bhai coming with the truth that hard. agree with all that you said. apus and bhais javed bhai er ei rup dekhe ami aj khashir rezala khabo
Old February 7, 2016, 03:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
HELLO FRIEND WindieFan,

Best of luck to both team West Indies and team Bangladesh. West Indies is indeed the Mighty West indies. The cricket culture, heritage and history of West Indies is Everest like to me and to all tiger fans. When it comes to cricket, we look upto the the legends of West Indies cricket. Deepest of respect. And thank you for congratulating team Bangladesh on it's recent performance.

But a lot of your posts begin to sound like a whining, looking for excuses, weak hearted blabbers. The sound of these posts DO NOT echo the powerful thumping of Marshall, Holding, Garner or Walsh. And they definitely DO NOT do any justice to the greats like Greenidge, Richards, Richardson, Chanderpaul, Kalicharan or Lara. You come from a very powerful cricketing heritage, kindly start to sound like one in your posts.

And
a. about our team's experience issue. It is NOT a team's fault that it has a lot of experience and ain't nobody holding back or chaining down the other teams from matching up to that. Capish?

b. When the west Indies cricket board creates a team, the world sees that team as the best possible team coming from West Indies, representing the islands of the Caribbean. It is NOT and should not be a forgiving factor if the board failed to choose the right player or player of YOUR choice. If your board is corrupt and act with favouritism, that is your problem, should NOT be used as an excuse in an International meeting. Listen man, we Bangladesh have our own problems with our board, government, system and corruption. But we do not see that as other people's problem if our team failed to perform. When we field an XI, we accept them as our best XI wearing our national jersey, just like we accept the playing West Indies XI as the best possible XI from West Indies, Period.
Bujhee Kom bhaiya. I can tell from your post that are hurt or sad..

Cricket is what is keeping Islands(and GUYANA) in the West Indies together.

The history of West Indies cricket is as rich as the melodies from Bob Marley, Eddy Grant, and Machel Montano. We do feel a sense of pride whenever we play cricket because we got so many cricket greats to look up to. Every time I hear the anthem, Rally round the West Indies I get goosebumps.

Sadly, the state of cricket in the region is a little sour. The quality of cricket is going down. The fast money T20 leagues are what the young players are aiming for. A poor administration does not help the situation also. We need more players who genuinely love the game and its heritage in the region, play with the passion of a Lawrence Rowe or a Viv Richards.

Keeping within topic of the thread:

The Bangladesh youths are where no other Bangladesh team has been before. They are a confident bunch of youths. They have all the components to go all the way and win it. I continue to support the Bangladesh team no matter what..be it Mash and his Troops, Mushy and his troops, Jahanara and her Lady Tigers, or, Miraz and his brothers.

BK bro...Most of us in the West Indies are passionate about the game...we do love our cricket. Sometimes the pride gets to the better of us and sledging erupts....I don't know Windiefan much..but I can tell you that he's probably a diehard fan of the West Indies. I know...because back in 2011 CWC..I got to see some of that(sledging)..from my own friends...

Hope I'm not wrong.

All the best Big Bro
Old February 8, 2016, 04:29 AM
BC Editorial Team

Well looks like we will be playing you in the semis. With the horrible running I've seen and our fielding, I think the game will be won there. Your batting power compensates for our finger roller (thukku spinners)
Old February 8, 2016, 05:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Congratz Windies! Looking forward to a cracking encounter on the 11th!

Strategy will still be to go with spin, I think we have a very good chance! That being said, it is a very good team and will be a test for sure. I have faith in the current bunch though, they should be good enough
Old February 9, 2016, 12:43 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
You cant argue that Bangladesh is not a top team in cricket.. It's a definite and is just a matter of when and where now.

Fact of the matter is we do have a good cricketing structure now with international stadiums all over the country, we have better training facilities, we have a huge fanbase of passionate followers who not only know the game well but breath it, we are starting to have a good bench strengh. Everything is under motion and has been for the last decade.

The fans know this because they see the results of the developments. We never had a batsman like Soumya going at a 100+ SR from the start of his career, nor did we have a bowler like Mustafizur who bowled at 140s swinging and cutting the ball... And this is just the start because in years to come you will see more and more talented cricketers from Bangladesh, probably more than any other country. It's just a given.
Steady on my friend....BD arguably had a much more talented group of youngsters when Shaqib, Rahim, Tamim etc were coming through and though they have done well it still hasn't translated into wins at test level and didn't garner much in ODI's for a long time either. I hope BD do step up a level in all formats because it will be good for the game and the crowds you guys get deserve a little bit of joy .