facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 2, 2016, 08:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Bangladesh should wear a black badge in the finals

For Martin Crowe.

RIP.

Martin Crowe dies aged 53

Martin Crowe, the former New Zealand captain, writer, broadcaster and mentor, has died in Auckland at the age of 53.

Crowe had suffered from lymphoma since 2012, and withdrew from public life in his final months.

"It is with heavy hearts that the family of Martin Crowe, MBE advise his death," his family said in a statement.

"Diagnosed in September 2014 with terminal double hit lymphoma he passed away peacefully today, Thursday 3rd March in Auckland surrounded by family.
"The family request privacy at this time."

Widely considered the finest batsman in New Zealand cricket's history, Crowe debuted against Australia aged 19 in 1982, and quickly established a reputation as the most meticulous of batsmen, his technique widely admired.

In all he would tally a New Zealand record 17 Test centuries, including an innings of 299 against Sri Lanka in Wellington that also stood as the national record until Brendon McCullum overtook it, also at the Basin Reserve.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; March 3, 2016 at 03:03 PM..

Old March 2, 2016, 08:09 PM
Cricket Savant

I clearly remember when came to bat for NZ. The younger brother of Jeff Crowe yet debuted first. Strong and stood up against the Aussies.
Old March 2, 2016, 08:10 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

May your soul rest in eternal peace, Martin Crowe. You will always be missed.
Old March 2, 2016, 08:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Crowe always advocated AGAINST bangladesh. As a human any death is tragic, but from a cricket perspectove the man was no friend of ours.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 2, 2016, 08:14 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I remember 92 WC and he was a real force for NZ at that time. During his time he played Wasim Waqar and co as well as anybody. Was a fantastic batsman and his death is a great loss for cricket. May his soul rest in peace.
Old March 2, 2016, 08:26 PM
BC Editorial Team

Asaad, learn to pick your moments. As a friend.
Old March 2, 2016, 08:28 PM

RIP
NZ will miss him.
Old March 2, 2016, 09:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Crowe always advocated AGAINST bangladesh. As a human any death is tragic, but from a cricket perspectove the man was no friend of ours.
And you make friends that he leaves behind. Reverse the tide. Embrace those who once was against us.

RIP.
Old March 2, 2016, 10:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

The greatest from NZ...
If he was against Bangladesh than that was for the standard of cricket we played (which was horrible), he had no personal enimosity with bangladesh...
Old March 3, 2016, 01:20 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSL5ZB9DsdQ

See this match winning catch. Houghton got out at 141 and NZ won by 3 runs ...
Old March 3, 2016, 01:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: BD Players, Starc, Waqar

It's a sad day for cricket.
Old March 3, 2016, 01:37 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Asaad, learn to pick your moments. As a friend.
Lymphoma is a bad thing. Anyone can get it. Cancer sucks. Highly likely I'll get cancer one day (god forbid) but thats reality. Most of us will given there thousands pf different cancers to pick from. If it happens I won't expect the likes of say King Kohli to wear a black arm band or "pick his moments". Won't bring me back from the dead or make my death any more enjoyable.

I dont know MC. He was a great NZ bat, that I know. Was he a good father, a good husband, a good human? I don't one way or the other. But I did read his cricinfo articles and he was very anti-BD. Thats his prerogative as it is mine to say he deserves no armbands from us.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 3, 2016, 01:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmoy.dhaka
The greatest from NZ...
If he was against Bangladesh than that was for the standard of cricket we played (which was horrible), he had no personal enimosity with bangladesh...
See now you can justify any sort of bigotry. I don't like non white people because the stabdard of their countries/cultures are horrible. A kiwi talking about standards of play is as ironic as a Pakistani lecturing on the ills of jihadism. Who gave him the guarantee that BD would never improve? There's no need to diss the man, but there is no need to honor him either.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 3, 2016, 01:57 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Lymphoma is a bad thing. Anyone can get it. Cancer sucks. Highly likely I'll get cancer one day (god forbid) but thats reality. Most of us will given there thousands pf different cancers to pick from. If it happens I won't expect the likes of say King Kohli to wear a black arm band or "pick his moments". Won't bring me back from the dead or make my death any more enjoyable.

I dont know MC. He was a great NZ bat, that I know. Was he a good father, a good husband, a good human? I don't one way or the other. But I did read his cricinfo articles and he was very anti-BD. Thats his prerogative as it is mine to say he deserves no armbands from us.
I have said all I have to say on this.
Old March 3, 2016, 02:16 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

RIP
Became a big MC fan during the '92 WC.
For few years he was the Mr. NZ Cricket to me.
I'm glad that he got into the Cricket Hall of Fame last year WC time. He totally deserved it.
Old March 3, 2016, 04:37 AM
Cricket Legend

I'm with Asaad on this one. He was by all accounts a great player. But we're not wearing black armbands for someone calling for the stripping of our test status. Wouldn't wear one for Boycott, nor his grandmother for that matter.
Old March 3, 2016, 05:28 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

We can choose to be magnanimous or choose to hold a grudge against a great cricketer who died of cancer at an unduly young age because of a difference in opinion. I think I would go with the former.
Old March 3, 2016, 06:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

We need to show that we are good human beings first and patriots second. And only by being good human beings first can we truly be a patriot of this country

Good spirit is contagious. Let us honour an important cricketing figure rather than showing negativity towards him because he made anti Bangladesh sentiments.

We got those comments from him because we performed poorly. He was quiet off late which implies that he was impressed by our current performances.

It's time to show we are a maturdd team finally. We act like minnows still. I cant recall our players giving credit to the opposition particularly when we win. We should show appreciation to the opposition as well because they need it after the loss.
Old March 3, 2016, 06:59 AM
Cricket Legend

So are you guys suggesting that anyone dies and Bangladesh should wear black badge?
Old March 3, 2016, 10:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
See now you can justify any sort of bigotry. I don't like non white people because the stabdard of their countries/cultures are horrible. A kiwi talking about standards of play is as ironic as a Pakistani lecturing on the ills of jihadism. Who gave him the guarantee that BD would never improve? There's no need to diss the man, but there is no need to honor him either.
NZ with a population of 5 million (Dhaka has a population of 10 mil) and after cricket not being the number 1 sports have still done wonders in global events. Even their Football team remain undefeated in all the 3 games that they played in the World cup. So athleticism and sports runs in heir veins. And their Rugby team has always been one of the best in the planet.

Not sure what world you have been living in, but in my world, our cricket development was completely stagnant for almost 5-6 years after we got our test status. We lost most number of matches in a row which includes losing against the likes of Kenya and Canada. Now If I am a neutral I would be disappointed too. In case you are not aware, the great Gordon Greenidge who helped us qualify for 1999 wc was against our test status too. I am personally not aware of any bigotry from his part. Criticizing a team for playing bad is not bigotry.

Also note: Our BCB was so corrupt under "Ali asgar loby" that the whole BD had 1 or 2 bowling machines. They spent no money for infrastructure development. A lot of the competent people who protested inside BCB had to resign and cricket was a mode to swindle ICC development fund for personal benefit (Something akin to Zimbabwe cricket now). If you critisize sich a board and cricket team than that is not bigotry.
Old March 3, 2016, 11:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mij
So are you guys suggesting that anyone dies and Bangladesh should wear black badge?
As Navo said, "We can choose to be magnanimous or choose to hold a grudge."

This is how one shows class to the world. We show sympathy to all (illwisher or well wisher)

Martin Crowe is not an anyone in cricketing world. When BD didn't play Intl cricket, most BD cricket fans supported Foreign individual players or teams. He was one of those who cricket fans admired for his stroke play and attitude. NZ pulling over their weight was fascinating to watch or listen.
Old March 3, 2016, 11:19 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmoy.dhaka
NZ with a population of 5 million (Dhaka has a population of 10 mil) and after cricket not being the number 1 sports have still done wonders in global events. Even their Football team remain undefeated in all the 3 games that they played in the World cup. So athleticism and sports runs in heir veins. And their Rugby team has always been one of the best in the planet.

Not sure what world you have been living in, but in my world, our cricket development was completely stagnant for almost 5-6 years after we got our test status. We lost most number of matches in a row which includes losing against the likes of Kenya and Canada. Now If I am a neutral I would be disappointed too. In case you are not aware, the great Gordon Greenidge who helped us qualify for 1999 wc was against our test status too. I am personally not aware of any bigotry from his part. Criticizing a team for playing bad is not bigotry.

Also note: Our BCB was so corrupt under "Ali asgar loby" that the whole BD had 1 or 2 bowling machines. They spent no money for infrastructure development. A lot of the competent people who protested inside BCB had to resign and cricket was a mode to swindle ICC development fund for personal benefit (Something akin to Zimbabwe cricket now). If you critisize sich a board and cricket team than that is not bigotry.
First off, kettles should not call pots black. Thats what Crowe did. If these world events existed since NZ entered test cricket in the 20s, they would have most likely taken 15 tournaments to do wonders in global tournaments. NZ have been a good test side and one of my favorites btw, for the past 3-4 years. Before that they have always been mediocre at best.

Which idiot told him a country with 170 million people are physically incapable of EVER playing decent cricket? And why should he get a pass for taking that guys advice?

That kind of elitist talk he made is the kind that seeks to cut Associates out of world cricket. That is spitting on the face of this game, IMO.

As an individual he can believe or even publicly say whatever he wants. There are people out there who believe Bangladesh should be nuked as should all Muslim countries (eg Ann Coulter). They are dispacable human beings, but they are entitled to that opinion. But the moment they start writing opeds in say the NY Times for example, the rules change. Now as a professional representative of whatever you have you have generally accepted etiquette not be overly derisive. If I have a blog I can write whatever nasty **** I want about whoever. I may be a racist, bigot, etc and surely a despicable person but I have that right. If I start writing articles for some professional organization (NY Times or cricinfo), I have to meet certain editorial standards. On my blog I can refer to the Indian pace attack as bhindiwala trundlers, but the moment I start writing for cricinfo, even if as a fan and not a paid professional journalist, I must check my bias at the door or I deserve whatever consequence happens after that.

The tone MC took was not overtly racist or bigoted towards us, but there was that condescension we are used to seeing from Indians and Pakistanis, the S Rajesh's and Ramiz Rajas of the world.

I am not advocating we spit on his grave or crash his funeral - there are individuals despicable enough to merit such stuff, Adolf hitler to give just one uncontroversial example. But I believe not honoring him with black arm bands is an appropriate action. I don't wish to speak ill of the dead, least of all someome taken early. But this warranted.

Lot of people find my personal views disagreeble, i'm sure they wouldnt not want to honor me upon my passing. Thats fine. Heck, even if some jackass were to crap in my grave before the lowered me in, does it bother me? At the end of the day, no...I'm already dead. And I'd have far more eternal things to worry about.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 3, 2016, 01:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Windows Media Player

On behalf of those of us who are are not old or middle aged (said in the least disrespectful way possible) who/what was this guy? and what relevance does he have to our current BD team who's average age is around mid twenties ?
Old March 3, 2016, 02:17 PM
Cricket Savant

There are several articles and tributes at Cricinfo. Feel free to visit them as well.
+++
In few words, he came when fast bowling was at its best. WI still ruling, Australia about to take the center stage, Pakistan just getting their reverse swing going. Them bowlers were Bullies. NZ a minnow (SL just getting their mojo on) had Hadlee verge of retirement.

Like a shinning light (more like current Williamson) Martin Crowe takes the bull by the horn. Standing up to the bullies. That is what I recall. Underdogs punching above their weight as usual.

Few stats: