facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 14, 2004, 04:32 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Bouncers N Beamers for May

SOURCE : www.cricketfundas.com
BOUNCERS N BEAMERS for the Month of May

By V.R.Srinivasan

What does the suspension of 15 rebel players from the Zimbabwean cricket team mean?

This week, we were subject to the news that all 15 rebel Zimbabwe players, who incidentally are "All-White" have been stripped off their contracts with the Zimbabwe Cricket Union, owing to their dispute with the ZCU. This means that the world would be subject to more one-sided games featuring the pathetic amateurs led by Tatenda Taibu in the name of the Zimbabwean cricket team. The Zimbabwean squad, which played in the 5 ODIs against Sri Lanka have only one decent player in their captain and wicketkeeper, Tatenda Taibu, who again at best is a promising player with potential to become a good wicketkeeper batsman in a few years time. They also have some jokers in the squad, such as Stuart Matsikenyeri, whose idea of defense is to put his front foot prodding forward across the line making him a sitting duck for a LBW and whose idea of attack is a close-the-eye-swing-the-bat hoick to god-knows-where. That this bloke opens the inning against good new ball bowlers and is bound to do so against the likes of Glen McGrath suggests the total degradation of cricket and its pathetic that the ICC, which is supposed to run the game, is infact trying to ruin it knowingly or unknowingly. Last week, we were subject to further parody when the ICC president actually berated the rebel players for not showing commitment by assuring to play along with the current bunch of jokers in the Zimbabwe squad. It then takes me to wonder which ICC president has been more dumb, Jagmohan Dalmiya who gave Test Status to Bangladesh on the basis of a single ODI victory over Pakistan or Ehsan Mani who has chosen to scold the innocents instead of the people who are making a mockery out of cricket.

The talent in Zimbabwe is as much as the apparel that is worn by the Remix-artistes on Indian Television, threadbare. And to further dilute their base by choosing cricketing nincompoops to represent their country, they are reducing international cricket in these few days to an absolute farce. That the ICC has turned a blind eye to rapid degradation of World Cricket by the presence of teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh further infuriates any international cricket lover. Will sense prevail on the panjandrums who run the game in the name of administrators? The chances are as much as the current Zimbabwean team pulling out a non-weather-affected draw against the Lankans in the ongoing Test series.

Which side of the argument sounds sounder? Murali is a hero because of his 520 or Murali is a villain who usurped the throne because his doosra is illegal and because his action is highly unorthodox?

Murali's record breaking 520th wicket was an event that signified one of the best achievements ever in the game. He broke Walsh's record with aplomb, taking his customary 5-fer and above in the first innings of the test against Zimbabwe in the process. Sri Lankan and Murali lovers have been thrilled by this achievement, but equally, his baiters and non-believers-in-the-genuineness-of-his-action have poured vitriol on his feat. Hence basically the reactions have been bordering on the extreme. Murali's action was cleared earlier by the ICC, and hence there was no need to berate him on his unorthodox action, which resulted in a bagful of wickets irrespective of the surface or situation for him. Before the doosra was bowled regularly by him, the criticism against him wasn't exactly warranted. But after his doosra was reported and preliminary reports have found out that this delivery of his was indeed outside what the ICC prescribed as limits of legality, there certainly has been a slur on his achievement.

The lesson that we have learnt from the Murali imbroglio (and also from the multiple chucking controversies regarding Shoaib Akhtar, Shabbir Ahmed, Brett Lee etc) is that there should be no toleration at all for any kind of action that looks closer to illegality from the naked eye itself, henceforth. Excuses such as hyper extended arms, magical wrists, bent elbows and the like should not cloud the simple ways of judging whether the action is legal or not. Such unrelenting measures should be used on every newcomer in international cricket and the judgment should not be driven by prejudice that suggests that the earlier method of forwarding illegal delivery action reports to a committee of experts from the cricketing world for decision-making seems to be a sounder process rather than the roundabout and controversial current stage-wise process which seems to sweep more into the carpet rather than rectify the problem as a whole. The argument that a player's career can be made or broken by such stubbornness on playing by the rule book in a martinet fashion is flawed, because several batsmen's careers can also be made or broken because of getting out to deliveries from the malefactor bowlers.

What does the BCCI's decision to hike the pay for domestic cricketers signify?

It signifies that Indian domestic cricket now looks more rosier for the ones who are good enough for the grind but not good enough to enter the starry world of international cricket. A pay packet of Rs 52000 per game for every Elite Ranji player is very decent remuneration for the sweat and toil on the Indian tracks. If only the BCCI could devise a sure shot strategy to attract viewership for the Ranji games (at least the important and elite ones) by focusing on sustained and creative marketing (techniques such as hyping up games between traditional rivals, trying to use the American model of anointing team names for every Ranji Team, for eg, Tamil Nadu Sambar or Hyderabad Shahis or Nizams, Mumbai Clippers or Mumbai Box Officers etc). That should be the BCCI's next big step in bringing cricket to the levels of proficient professionalism.

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by pompous : no advertising please]

Old May 14, 2004, 11:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Yo man, instead of advertising your articles here, you should be participating in the forums.
Old May 14, 2004, 12:25 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Reply to Mr.Arnab

I thought Bangla Cricket needed some quality International exposure and its through these articles But you people (or this person) seem(s) to be way too ahead.........winning a lot of international matches,test matches. If Bangladesh fans have such a high head , then how high should our heads be?
Oh I meant BD win a one day international once in 70 matches, I wonder so do many cricket fans in the world - How BD got a test status? Kenya deserved a test status more than BD. And take away the world cup victory against Pakistan, everyone knows that was fixed. Nothing against BD, but the post from Arnab has provoked me!

Or you must be pensive that your site may lose credits after readers look at our articles and compare that with your website's:P As far as our site goes we are not biassed and we even have a special column on BD Cricket - BANGLA SUN written by a Bangladeshi! This only shows our respect to Bangladesh Cricket and infact for World Cricket.
Old May 14, 2004, 12:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Blimey! What the heck he is on about?
Old May 14, 2004, 12:32 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

typical indian
Old May 14, 2004, 12:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Is that Amit again?
Old May 14, 2004, 12:36 PM
Cricket Legend

I doubt it's Amit. All I know is, he isn't any smarter.
Old May 14, 2004, 12:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Definitely not smart. Should we explain to him why he isn't?
Old May 14, 2004, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

* Grabs popcorn. Go ahead Arnab.
Old May 14, 2004, 12:52 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Cricketfundas - nice site

Cricketfundas.com...Ive read all your articles and being a cricket fan i have loved all your articles. And being a Bangladeshi I loved the article on Mohammad Rafique. I totally agree with you putting your wonderful articles on the site.. and yes Bangladesh Cricket does need a boost with it growing up day by day. I dont know why these people are against you putting these articles.
I would ask u to continue posting such articles in the near future
Old May 14, 2004, 12:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Beop beop!! Why do I have a feeling rockefellar and cool_rockus are the same person?
Old May 14, 2004, 12:57 PM
Street Cricketer

Default I am a Bangladeshi

how should i prove that
Old May 14, 2004, 12:58 PM
Street Cricketer

Back guys, How are you ppl now?:p

BTW whos this Amit?
Old May 14, 2004, 01:00 PM
Cricket Legend

This is way funnier than I thought it would be.
Old May 14, 2004, 01:03 PM
Street Cricketer

lol after going thro the replies, found that no1s actually interested in the cricket or talking about cricket issues as in Bouncers N Beamers......is this the case ? Thnk u very mmuch rockfellar as u like our articles, hope we bring out Bangla Sun in a much better way
But dont worry I am here to educate you all about this wonderful game of Cricket hehe that is still ur BCB chiefs in this forum allow me to do so .........hahahahaaaaaaaaa
Old May 14, 2004, 01:06 PM
Street Cricketer

Well these people are acting like the "Mugabe" of Bangladeshi Cricket...People like these wont allow Cricket to go further in a Cricket hungry Nation like ours. I better join some other forum where i can read articles peacefully without any interruptions
Old May 14, 2004, 01:07 PM
Cricket Legend

You are absolutely right, rockus mia. Please enlighten us with your valuable insights. What do you think of the latest West Indies v Bangladesh tour?

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by Arnab]
Old May 14, 2004, 01:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Hey Rockefellar, personal questions: Where in Bangladesh are you from? How long have you lived there? Where are you now?
Old May 14, 2004, 01:22 PM
Street Cricketer

Well West Indies should find some respite after the beating they got from the English. And a good opportunities for the West Indies batsmen to set some new records.....hmm fastest 100,hmmmm fastest 50:P To be honest, Bangladesh need to bat with lots of purpose and discipline......once a batsman is set......he just cannot afford to throw away his wicket after scoring a 30 or a 50 or a 80. If at all BD dream of even drawing a test then their batsmen have to think big and look to score big 100s thn those tiny 40s n 50s. Bowling wise........I only find Md.Rafique to be penetrative and topclass. Rest of the bowlers shudn't trouble the West Indies batting unless and untill the homeside has a highly complacentt day. I would support BD , just because I like to watch the weaker sides beat the established International sides but not to please u ppl in the forum:P:phehe:P

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by cool_rockus]
Old May 14, 2004, 01:24 PM
Street Cricketer

assalamalekum Arnab bhai

I am Dubya AranyaSyed from Dhaka, well rite now I am doing my Studies in London and its been 3 years since I left Dhaka.. Is that enough or you want to know more?
Old May 14, 2004, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Yeah, how did you hook up with these condescending loonies? Jatyabhiman bole kichu nai naki?

Wait, you won't know what jatyabhiman means. Let's say attoshomman instead of that.

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by Arnab]
Old May 14, 2004, 01:38 PM
Street Cricketer

Default My last post on this site

Hey Arnab I need not anser ur stupid questions over here..u talk just like a nimcompoop but think urself to be some panjandrum
and let me tel u this
mar desher jonno amar shomman achey ebong ami amar deshkey bhalobashi
gud bye and have a nice day

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by rockefellar]
Old May 14, 2004, 01:41 PM
Street Cricketer

Oh dear Oh dear.......

[]

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by pompous : I am warning you cool rockus! please watch it. ]
Old May 14, 2004, 01:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

lotsa imposters are flooding these days
Old May 14, 2004, 01:43 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Chinaman Bhai, where r u?

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by reverse_swing]