facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 8, 2017, 09:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
Default The apparent discord between Haturusinghe and the players. This needs to be solved!

Haturusinghe has literally picked us from the ashes and given us belief on the fields. We have returned to winning ways in Tests, T20s and ODIs. We have won 6 out of 7 home series under him, a lot of credit needs to be given to him as well as Mashrafe, and obviously the players who have performed to take us here. We need to go further though, there is a problem between Haturusinghe and the players and as we find out more and more it is becoming evident that there is a discord between Haturusinghe and his coaching ways and the national team players.

For me it seems Haturusinghe is not communicating well with the players. Deep down I believe strongly he wants good for the Bangladeshi team, he wants to make changes so that we are world class, and he is quick to make changes if he thinks that someone is not contributing or does not deserve a place. He is part of the selection panel which he asked for, so he is getting all the freedom he wants and also needs. I believe a coach has to be part of the selection and responsible for the team's performance. But it seems from a variety of sources of news that all is not well because of the power he is getting as well. Between the players and the coach, there is apparently a communication gap, it does not look like a happy family for now and that is something we have to nip in the bud if we don't want this problem to spiral out of control.

Mashrafe is thought to have complained to the BCB chairman that the players are often in disagreement with the coach about many decisions. First of all, the source needs to be confirmed but what we have confirmation about is how Mashrafe wanted the selection of Nasir in the team, that was overturned. Mashrafe also confirmed that he is not going to go to Sri Lanka if Mahmudullah is not in the team, another confirmed news is that Mashrafe wanted Rubel hossain in the team and when he was not he felt he stood in the way. Now we are hearing unconfirmed reports of Mashrafe questioning Mominul's return to Bangladesh without working on his weakness against offspin. We are also hearing that Mushfique did not want to declare against NZ but had to because the coach forced him to.

I will not go into the disagreements too much, it is for everyone to see that there is a problem there. But what I want to concentrate on is that this problem needs a solution. The BCB chairman now knows of the issues, what he needs to do is sit down with the players and the coach and communicate to both sides that whatever is being done is for the Bangladeshi team. If the players have disagreements they need to be able to tell the coach, they can't play out there with worries of the devil or perform when they are fighting a battle within. They need to fight the opposition not among themselves, that makes our team weaker and we have seen that while we could have performed better we did not, I am wondering more if it is because of this discord between the management and the players.

There is a problem with Papon and the players too. This is well documented but I will not go there for now. What needs to happen now is that the coach has to become not only a guardian but a friend to the players. He needs to sit down behind a closed door and have a frank one to one. I believe it will do wonders for the team. The coach eventhough has taken many controversial decisions till now, he needs to communicate with the team that they are for the betterment of the team. Remember how he stood for Taskin and Sunny, not many foreign coach will do that.

I want to send out a positive message out there, I think it is time the players and the coach have the same vision and are on the same page. The coach has to listen to the captain and the players and vice versa. We need to smoothen this engine for the greater good. As a fan I can only hope that these two parties come together and speak about their issues openly and resolve them. But with the Ireland tour one month away, it seems unlikely it will happen soon and Champions Trophy coming right after that it is highly unlikely we will get a resolution just yet.

Old April 8, 2017, 09:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Even if Hathu is right in his issues with the players, coaches come and go but players remai. For 10, 15, or even 20 years. Morover, no matter how great the coach is, the players go out and win or lose the game.

If there is this mistrust/beef between them, we cannot succeed. Therefore the coach must be let go if a compromise cannot be found.

No one is perfect.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 8, 2017, 09:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Totally agree with Asad - as good a coach Hathuru is, he is still someone expandable, the players are not.

Papon created a Frankenstein by letting the coach overwrite every process the board had in place regarding player selection and team management. Don't see Papon being able to regain the control of the situation, as Hathuru is too stubborn to back off. Most likely, the board will be soon in a situation (my guess, sometime after CT) where they will have no option but to let him go.
Old April 9, 2017, 12:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

I don't think Haturi is the main problem. When he came he had an issue with Shakib, and he was side lined for a few months. Tamim regained his form. And the players needed an iron fist! Our players attitude was killing them.

I think the players in our team are too emotional and immature to make decisions. If Haturi listens to Mushfiqur, then we will still have Mahmadullah in test team. We might have not gotten Fizz or Sarkar so early.

I think it is important to get rid of Walsh and batting consultant, not Haturi.
Old April 9, 2017, 01:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Their was talk over Lehman too,division,but he like Hath has the best interests for the side.
Not like Stu Law.
But things changed for Lehman when new players came in,and a fresh attitude,and their is not those doubts about Lehman now.
Old April 9, 2017, 01:44 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Power has a corrupting influence on the mind. Absolute power speeds up this downward spiral even more. Hathuri has done a wonderful job but he has to know that our players are more important than him. I dont like this vindictive mentality of closing the door on players forever. Jubair, Nasir Al Amin Rubel Mominul Ryad and the list goes on. I am sure if we offered Heath Streak a headcoach job and get a batting coach we can continue our upward journey. Hathuru might end up like Greg Chappel for India by going after all senior players.
Old April 9, 2017, 03:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Mashrafe brought some serious accusations against Hathurusingha: Reports

http://www.bdcrictime.com/2017/04/ma...ts/?ref=nazmus
Old April 9, 2017, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
I don't think Haturi is the main problem. When he came he had an issue with Shakib, and he was side lined for a few months. Tamim regained his form. And the players needed an iron fist! Our players attitude was killing them.

I think the players in our team are too emotional and immature to make decisions. If Haturi listens to Mushfiqur, then we will still have Mahmadullah in test team. We might have not gotten Fizz or Sarkar so early.

I think it is important to get rid of Walsh and batting consultant, not Haturi.
Couldn't have agreed more!

Our players are extremely emotional and immature. Mashrafe, Mushfiq, Tamim, Shakib...all of them. Mashrafe, despite his heroism, leadership and very good performance isn't without faults. I find him very emotional at times...his reaction after being axed from the 2011 CWC or the Mahmudullah incident -a couple of examples comes to mind. Mushfiq is same, too. Ahare abaar captain bole daak shunte ki na bhalo laglo -what emotional nonsense. Its not about how sweet the name/title rings to the ear, its the job that matters. Many of them are ridiculously superstitious, too. In terms of professionalism and pragmatism they are still not up there. Of course, they are not be totally blamed for this. Therefore ,and in spite of all the recent improvements, BD still needs an highly experienced, firm and somewhat authoritative headcoach at the helm. We have many prima donnas.

Having said that, obviously a fine balance has to be struck between empowering a headcoach and making sure he doesn't abuse that power or authority and takes undue advantages or the liberty. While not privy to all the background happenings, I like the Haturi management style. He knows what he is doing. His being adamant about Jubair Hossain the leggie or sticking with Soumya despite his many failures is really well understood and appreciated here. He was firm with Shakib when needed to be. One has to be cruel to be kind -at times. The only criticism is Hom.
Old April 9, 2017, 08:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Just wondering could this also not be just unnecessary gossip in the backdrop of Mashrafe's retirement? Mind you-Kaler Kontho?

While i certainly dont know whats happening indoors, but in the ground the players, the coaches all of them seemed perfectly fine.

And when team is divided, players dont back coach-teams dont end up performing as well as we did on an away tour. We ve seen a broke, indisciplined, divided Bangladesh teams in the past. Fortunately, this current team doesn't seem to exhibit any such symptoms.
Old April 9, 2017, 08:55 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I've just read the article about Mash's accusation of the coach. I hope it is nothing but yellow journalism. Because, Mashrafe here has got nothing to clutch on.

-About the gripe of dropping Riyadh. Riyadh has been the worst performer in the test side for the last three years. If anything he was dropped much too late.

-Dropping Mominul. Again, mominul had been below average for the last two years. The national team is not the place to work on a technical issue such as this. If Mash really wanted Mominul to be the next Pujara, then he knows that mominul would need to work as hard as Pujara.

-Declaring on NZ. Again, listening to Mushfiq here is doing nothing but affirming a negative train of thought. If you can't bat second innings and mentally wuss out, then maybe you should be next on the chopping block.

Look guys, I am a firm believer of the experienced players. Tamim, Shakib, Mushfiq and Mash are our pillars of the team. But that doesn't mean I want them to be given full reigns to do whatever they want. I am actually glad that we have a hard-lined coach with no BS approach. Hathuri is exactly the coach we require to keep these primadonnas in check. If you really give the players the full freedom, just look back at Jergesun era, who believed in that philosophy and see how we failed miserably in that time.

Personally, I think this is nothing more than just a little squabble. At the end of the day, the players and Hathuri both have best interest of Bangladesh at heart.
Old April 9, 2017, 09:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Dropping Mominul and Riyad understandably not easy, but the moves paid off-didnt it?
Old April 9, 2017, 10:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib

Read the article and I am not convinced.

I am usually a practical, no-nonsense guy. Though I appreciate what Mash done for our cricket, his drama about Mahmudulah didnt impress me. The worst test performer in the squad got dropped and rightly so. We have given Mash a God-status too much sometimes I think. Whatever he says is not stone-plated and is not without fault.

Mominul should work a little bit and can become Pujara - I have heard it all. It will take ages for Mominul to touch Pujara's level and few sessions here and there are not going to cut it. Again, a retarded logic.

And the worst of them, 595 and was 'ordered' to declare when Mushfiq said BD will collapse the 2nd innings? My question - How was he so sure about collapsing? Is he and the others are not confident in their abilities? What sorta mentality is that from an international level captain? This seriously makes me wonder if the team deliberately collapsed 2nd innings just to prove Haturu wrong. I wont be surprised at all.

Haturu is exactly the no-sh*t coach we need for the team who will smack the drama out of these morons. If needed, drop all the 'seniors' and build the team from scratch. They are dispensable and they need to be reminded of it. We have players in the likes in Miraz, Shanto, Afif coming along who will do even better with the right attitude and coaching from a young age.

I absolutely loved it when he dropped Tamim and fan-favorite Taskin from the 2nd T20. We won it handsomely, didnt we?

Loved the fact he kicked Riyad and Mominul from the 2nd test. See how the debutant Mosaddek attacked the ball when we need 30 odd runs and calmed the nerves? We ended up winning a freaking away test match after years. Would 'senior' Riyad have ever taken that approach?

Keep these philosophical drama queens on stick and they will keep performing, even if it is "God" Mashrafe. More power to Huturu.
Old April 9, 2017, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Kaler Kontho. Enough said. Just replace the first "K" with a "B".
Old April 9, 2017, 11:30 AM
Cricket Guru

So much needless drama especially being out in the open, what is this Pakistan?
Old April 9, 2017, 11:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Sounds like complete bs, how would anyone know of this
Old April 10, 2017, 03:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Good read...

http://bdlive24.com/home/details/179...A6%B2%E0%A6%BE
Old April 10, 2017, 04:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Well heres' an even better read

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/170409/spo...de-236411.html

Then, I posed a question quite close to my heart. We experienced that in Sri Lanka, when we lost Muttiah Muralitharan, Chaminda Vaas, Mahela Jayawardena, Kumar Sangakkara and T.M. Dilshan along with Thilan Samaraweera (present Bangladesh batting coach) within a couple of years. We have still to recover from that. I asked Mario if the Hathurusinghe team is ready for such an eventuality because, right now, they have a bunch of guys who have played for about eight to ten years together, and are the pivots of Bangladesh cricket right now.

Bangladesh ‘Strength and Conditioning’ Coach explained. “This is exactly what Hathurusinghe also has been thinking about. He has already started the grooming process. There are youngsters who played in the last Under-19 World Cup. For instance, Mehedi Hassan played in that tournament. He was brought into the system. There have also been some more. Then, there is a set of guys who are a little older than that. He is quite aware that the big guns are not going to boom forever. Then, with the increased workload, inevitably, there is going to be injuries. So Hathurusinghe knows that he has to be ready for such eventualities. We need replacements.

“Yes, we have a good core-group. We have the Shakibs, Thamims, Mahmadullas, the Rahims and Riyads in store. Then, at the same time, Mustafizur, Mehedi, Shabir Rahman, Soumya Sarkar are developing, so Hathurusinghe has managed to get a setup working for them, which has a good balance of youth and experience.” Ironically the start was given in Colombo their limited overs captain Mashrafe Mortaza retired from T20 internationals on his own terms, and now Bangladesh have to find a way forward in the format they are weakest in.

Then I asked the magic question. Yes, your cricket is on an upward trend. What have you been up to? “Initially, we had to change their attitudes towards the game, towards training, towards fitness, and towards what they were doing at home, when they are not with us. That was our biggest challenge. However, significantly, we managed to achieve most of these aspects within a short period of time. At the same time, I must say, Hathurusinghe managed to bring in changes that others failed to achieve. It may be technical and tactical. It was all about a change in their mindset. Having been working in a similar sort of setup back home, helped us a lot. Our cultures are almost the same. The thinking is very similar.”

The final question obviously was how he saw the change that Hathurusinghe effected in Bangladeshi cricket. Mario explained, “He brought professionalism into this setup. I think, that was one of the biggest aspects of it. He brought professionalism in their thinking, training and how they do things. He is a professional and a perfectionist, so he brought that mentality into the Bangladesh setup. He was not happy being mediocre. He was not happy being the underdog. He always posed the question, “Are you happy with what you are?” He was not happy being at slot ten. He wanted to be No. 5. He set goals when he started his journey, and now he is on the job of achieving them”.
Old April 10, 2017, 04:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Never hit me, but good to hear Hathurusinghe and co have started work on next generation. This is a key mistake made by Sri Lanka, who never looked into proper succession-resulting in where they are today.
Old April 10, 2017, 07:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

exciting since the youngsters such as sabbir, soumya, mosaddek, mehedi, taskin, fizz are already established as regulars. And then when the tamims and shakibs and mushfiqs retire the likes of shanto, saif hassan, saifuddin, nasir, mominul will be established as regulars. A generation to really look forward to.
Old April 10, 2017, 08:30 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Never hit me, but good to hear Hathurusinghe and co have started work on next generation. This is a key mistake made by Sri Lanka, who never looked into proper succession-resulting in where they are today.
I think SL tried with Matthews, Tharanga, Chandimal and few others. But except Matthews all have failed to step up.

I hope Sabbir, Soumya, Mehedi, Fizz can step up in due time.
Old April 10, 2017, 08:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

My disagreement with Players including Mash: (agreement with Hathu)

1/ When a team scores 595 in first innings, they should be confident about declaring. Worrying about 2nd innings failiure just shows weak mentality of the players. They dont trust in their ability

2/ Mominul can never be Chetashwar Pujara. He always looks streaky. If he has a weakness against off-spin, that needs to be sorted in the domestic not the national team camp.

3/ Mahmudullah never looked solid in test. Deserved to be dropped.

4/ Neither the coach or the players are bigger than the country. We play for the country and play with 11 players who can contribute the most as a team. Selection should not be based on seniority.

My disagreement with the coach (agreement with players)

1/ Rubel is too good a bowler to be outside the squad specially in ODI and T20

2/Mahmudullah is a great batsman for ODI and T20.

Overall, we improved because of coach , one cannot deny that. It takes guts to drop guys like Razzaq, Mominul, Mahmudullah and the result is clear for everyone to see.
Old April 10, 2017, 08:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I am with the coach 90%. That 10% is for the leg spinner must have. We don't have that quality leg spinner. Thus please ignore the must have and ask the Board to manufacture one at what ever it takes method. Take few of them and bring in Abdul Kadir or someone like him. Lock them up for a month in a facility. Lets see what we can forcefully manufacture.
Old April 10, 2017, 08:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmoy.dhaka
My disagreement with Players including Mash: (agreement with Hathu)

1/ When a team scores 595 in first innings, they should be confident about declaring. Worrying about 2nd innings failiure just shows weak mentality of the players. They dont trust in their ability

2/ Mominul can never be Chetashwar Pujara. He always looks streaky. If he has a weakness against off-spin, that needs to be sorted in the domestic not the national team camp.

3/ Mahmudullah never looked solid in test. Deserved to be dropped.

4/ Neither the coach or the players are bigger than the country. We play for the country and play with 11 players who can contribute the most as a team. Selection should not be based on seniority.

My disagreement with the coach (agreement with players)

1/ Rubel is too good a bowler to be outside the squad specially in ODI and T20

2/Mahmudullah is a great batsman for ODI and T20.

Overall, we improved because of coach , one cannot deny that. It takes guts to drop guys like Razzaq, Mominul, Mahmudullah and the result is clear for everyone to see.

+++
Arey bhai we are taking about "Kaler Kontho" here.
Old April 10, 2017, 09:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Ladies and gents - we are way too emotional as a nation. The transformation made by Haturusinghe is unparalleled. He was able to bring professionalism to the team. That wouldn't happen if he was a softly. IMHO, we need to look at the future and not just be so nearsighted. Couple of points:

1. Mashrafe: It was time for him to go. For pit sake - have seen his knees? I think he would make a tremendous manager. We do need a replacement for Khaled Mahmud. Let Mash play ODI for as long as he wants and then hire him as a mentor/ team manager.

2. Papon: Like him or hate him, he did make some good decisions. Bringing Haturusinghe in as a coach is a big one. I do not like how he handles press though. But I would rather take him than *fill in the blank* official.

3. Haturusinghe: I think the coach is smart enough to ignore all the talk going around. I like how he is transforming our team. I am not sure if y'all noticed - he is been taking non selected young players to the tours to develop them and expose them to the international arena. It will be a sad day when he decides to leave the post.

Overall, our team is definitely heading towards the right direction. We fans need to back off and let the progress continue!
Old April 10, 2017, 10:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
Ladies and gents - we are way too emotional as a nation. The transformation made by Haturusinghe is unparalleled. He was able to bring professionalism to the team. That wouldn't happen if he was a softly. IMHO, we need to look at the future and not just be so nearsighted. Couple of points:

1. Mashrafe: It was time for him to go. For pit sake - have seen his knees? I think he would make a tremendous manager. We do need a replacement for Khaled Mahmud. Let Mash play ODI for as long as he wants and then hire him as a mentor/ team manager.

2. Papon: Like him or hate him, he did make some good decisions. Bringing Haturusinghe in as a coach is a big one. I do not like how he handles press though. But I would rather take him than *fill in the blank* official.

3. Haturusinghe: I think the coach is smart enough to ignore all the talk going around. I like how he is transforming our team. I am not sure if y'all noticed - he is been taking non selected young players to the tours to develop them and expose them to the international arena. It will be a sad day when he decides to leave the post.

Overall, our team is definitely heading towards the right direction. We fans need to back off and let the progress continue!