facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 29, 2017, 11:50 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Has Papon made the right decision?

By now we all know about the outcome of the board meeting few days ago. I actually think Papon has made the right decision. As, Papon had said it himself, that why should we ignore the incentive to nearly double our income to support a board that had not nearly helped us both monetarily or even development wise? Agreeing to this proposal will increase funding from 76mil to 132mil. I think this is both a win Short term and long term.
I also don't think there is anything to fear for a backlash by the BCCI. It is in BCCI's best interest to revive the Asian bloc which had always stood solid until recently. Infact, I would blame BCCI with Srini as the sole perpetrator to had initialize this break in this bloc by siding with CA and ECB to create the so called Big three proposal. I believe it's fair to say that none of the Asian sides were happy with the proposal and broke the trust of the boards. The big three proposal didn't benefit anyone but the three boards themselves. All the rhetoric aside and the empty threats of seclusion, I think BCCI knows very well that they have quite a task to rebuild the trust that was broken by Srini. From my understanding, BCCI, like any other board will emphasize on finance rather than emotions.

What's your take?

Old April 30, 2017, 12:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Srinivasan was almost single-handedly responsible for throwing a hand grenade into the Asian Bloc and blowing it up. Attempted to marginalize us (and other smaller boards) by forming the Big Three, and now acts offended that we voted down his financial model. You can't make this s*** up.

As for a backlash, I can't imagine there will be one. Nine full members wouldn't have voted against BCCI if they had not thought through the consequences very carefully. The disarray that the BCCI leadership is in currently would have factored into people's calculations. The support from Manohar, an Indian, would have been factored in. There would have been backroom dealings to keep the backdoor open for future compromises. And while BCB is certainly not the most administratively competent board, by God, it definitely is politically competent. If there's one thing Bangladeshis know a lot about, it is dirty politics. In that, we are among the world's best, without question. So, I'm not afraid.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
... It is in BCCI's best interest to revive the Asian bloc which had always stood solid until recently. Infact, I would blame BCCI with Srini as the sole perpetrator to had initialize this break in this bloc by siding with CA and ECB to create the so called Big three proposal. I believe it's fair to say that none of the Asian sides were happy with the proposal and broke the trust of the boards. The big three proposal didn't benefit anyone but the three boards themselves. All the rhetoric aside and the empty threats of seclusion, I think BCCI knows very well that they have quite a task to rebuild the trust that was broken by Srini. From my understanding, BCCI, like any other board will emphasize on finance rather than emotions.
My take is, "I don't care. I love it."

Back stabbing was started by BCCI (then Srinivasan).
Old April 30, 2017, 12:30 AM
Test Cricketer

"My way or the highway" policy is what BCCI is trying to shove down the throat of other "weaker" members in the block. But they lost the respect in the eyes of other members the day they chose to form the "big three" hierarchy. Like it or not, be it Srini in the throne or not, ICC is the mouthpiece of big few borads historically being deemed as the custodian of cricket. To me ICC is a failed organization which wasnt able to bolster the credibility and quality of cricket as a popular sport in the Caribbeans and Zimbabwe. Their endeavor of reviving the popularity of cricket by disseminating T20s are actually backfiring in some places and even in Australia it seems to be a third tier sport.

Coming to the point, I think BCB was right to be on the safe side of the poll and seek for equity when it comes to financial matters.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:58 AM
Cricket Guru

As far as I'm considered, BCCI started the back-stabbing with that clown Srini and it escalated with our very own clown Lotus. Thank goodness Dalmiya took over the reins and we had Papon after that fiasco.

The irony is delicious when Indians come here fuming that we 'betrayed' them

Though a strong alliance between BCCI and BCB would foster a strong an Asian Bloc, as SLC is irrelevant and PCB is led by a bunch of morons.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:13 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Its a double way sowrd for BCB. BCCI threatens us with financial damage where as western boards can ruin our reputation by simply declining to visit us showing security reasons. BCB has done the right thing for the moment. Let the security threats die down and let BCCI clean up their mess. We can rebuild Asian block in time.
Old April 30, 2017, 03:08 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
Srinivasan was almost single-handedly responsible for throwing a hand grenade into the Asian Bloc and blowing it up. Attempted to marginalize us (and other smaller boards) by forming the Big Three, and now acts offended that we voted down his financial model. You can't make this s*** up.

As for a backlash, I can't imagine there will be one. Nine full members wouldn't have voted against BCCI if they had not thought through the consequences very carefully. The disarray that the BCCI leadership is in currently would have factored into people's calculations. The support from Manohar, an Indian, would have been factored in. There would have been backroom dealings to keep the backdoor open for future compromises. And while BCB is certainly not the most administratively competent board, by God, it definitely is politically competent. If there's one thing Bangladeshis know a lot about, it is dirty politics. In that, we are among the world's best, without question. So, I'm not afraid.
Solid analysis. I too acknowledge Papon's tact and his diplomatic skill. He may not be Saber Hossain Chowdhury, but he's done administrative wonders for our side (at the cost of meddling in cricketing affairs).

From February to April the BCCI was unable to bully/bribe their way to another favorable vote. The fact that it was 9-1 gives hope that the unity is both strong and meticulously planned. Even 8-2 provides a crack with which the whole wall can potentially come crashing down.

We have another 2 month for this 9 team alliance to hold until the AGM. The BCCI will be racking their brains to try and find a way to crush this. We have to hold up. If there is anything bullies fear its unity and resolve.

But the BCCI can use CT or IPL as potential weapons to strike back.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 30, 2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
We have another 2 month for this 9 team alliance to hold until the AGM. The BCCI will be racking their brains to try and find a way to crush this. We have to hold up. If there is anything bullies fear its unity and resolve.
Financial model is not considered as a subject of AGM meeting, whereas governance model, constitutional issue is. There will be no change in that 9-1 voted financial model, other than 'possibility of Indian share negotiation' BEFORE AGM meeting take place, and get retify.

This is why that 9-1 win/loss was highly significant for both side [ICC, BCCI].
Old April 30, 2017, 06:10 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Papon khaluji ke doubt korar proshnoi ashe na.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:56 AM
Test Cricketer

From a moral standpoint Papon has made the wrong decision. A friend isn't a true friend if he leaves his friend in difficult times in order to gain some monetary benefits. He indeed acted like a '' Dudher Masi''

Now some of my friends here r accusing bcci of buying votes. But how conveniently they r forgetting that ICC under manohar has done exactly the same.

Manohar promised to give 19mn to Zim and 40m to West indies in order to get their votes in favor of the proposal. So, ICC is no different than Bcci.

Yes, from a businessman's perspective Papon has taken the right decision, at least for now. Obviously he was convinced by the cunning manohar and Giles that bcci is going to lose the vote anyway since they have already managed to gather votes from WICB and ZCB by granting them loans. Which is why i believe Papon decided to go in the direction of the flow instead of standing against it.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:16 AM
Test Cricketer

BTW I don't think bcci is gonna forget it anytime soon. At the moment supreme Court appointed useless bankers, historians and teachers r negotiating on behalf of bcci.

But sadly they were no match for cunning lawyer and businessman like manohar and giles. All of them were taken for a ride by this two.

But I don't think this situation will remain like this forever. Let the real politicians and corporates come back to the bcci. The real drama will start then.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:26 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
Financial model is not considered as a subject of AGM meeting, whereas governance model, constitutional issue is. There will be no change in that 9-1 voted financial model, other than 'possibility of Indian share negotiation' BEFORE AGM meeting take place, and get retify.

This is why that 9-1 win/loss was highly significant for both side [ICC, BCCI].
Oh that's a decent news. Just have to hope the FTP situation gets sorted.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 30, 2017, 01:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

There will be repercussions but nothing direct like revenge as everyone else was against BCCI so no point in singling out BCB. However, the effects of this decision will be felt over a long period of time in the form of reduced bilaterals, domestic tours, accommodation (basically fewer contacts). I am sure BCB will have mitigation plans so you guys don't have to worry.

The only thing that could have been done better was if BCB and other ex-friendly boards informed of their position earlier to BCCI it would have kept an alternate plan ready but I can understand the need for greed (more money is always good except for BCCI which need to consider the well-being of world cricket).

Expect the following:
1. No Asian bloc from now on, so some decisions may go against BD like 2 tiers in Tests.

2. Reduced or no tours of Team India to Bangladesh and it may result in loss of revenue. India never cited security threats like Aussies, now it may do so and this will force NZ & ECB(why their players' life is any less valuable than Aussies or Indians).

3. Because of point no.2, you will be forced to go touring hostile territories like Pakistan as you need at least few countries other than W.I and Zim to tour you regularly in order to pump up the tv revenues (I doubt Pakistan will provide Presidential level security for BD even if they claim so....)

^Basically all the problems BCB could face in the near future are listed above and I am sure BCB must have a mitigation plan in place so you guys probably don't have to worry.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:32 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Yea even the earth might stop spinning now that we voted against BCCI lol. Ak aktar vaab ki BCCI this BCCI that.. biroktikor
Old April 30, 2017, 01:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Yea even the earth might stop spinning now that we voted against BCCI lol. Ak aktar vaab ki BCCI this BCCI that.. biroktikor
I'm surprised he doesn't think India will invade BD as well
Old April 30, 2017, 01:39 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
I'm surprised he doesn't think India will invade BD as well
You never know.. I think the Universe might also collapse on itself without the big 3 revenue model.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Senman, I love how you're ignoring who it was that sought to marginalize other full members, particularly the Asian Bloc. Instead, you're talking about exacting revenge or repercussions for a betrayal for which the BCCI is ultimately responsible.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
Senman, I love how you're ignoring who it was that sought to marginalize other full members, particularly the Asian Bloc. Instead, you're talking about exacting revenge or repercussions for a betrayal for which the BCCI is ultimately responsible.
I am just exploring possible scenarios for the OP. If you think that BCCI did bad and it's evil, you are free to think so, it is your opinion but it won't change a thing that I have posted.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

Cricket should always be a global sport. No one board should have monopoly over the future of the sport. Nobody is special. Every cricket nation should have equal opportunity to succeed. I am happy that almost the entire international cricket community stood up to straight up bullying and financial manipulation
Old April 30, 2017, 01:53 PM
Cricket Legend

It changes everything that you said. There are clear signs that many within the BCCI don't want to antagonize other boards. As I've said before, the the backdoor has been left open for BCCI to come to some compromise with the ICC. Once an agreement has been struck, everything will be back to normal.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
You never know.. I think the Universe might also collapse on itself without the big 3 revenue model.
Some of the posters are here so short-sighted its hilarious.

They're so bitter and vindictive about how a small board like BCB didn't vote with them that they forget their very own countryman royally screwed them over

They also forget their very own supreme court has been on BCCI's *** for the past few months which contributed to their show of weakness.

Now we have them boasting how they should just forget about the smaller boards and focus on their revenue by playing and cozy up with bigger teams (CA, ECB) who have been playing them like a puppet for the past few years. Pinned the Big 3 on the BCCI and made them look like the villains and now threw them on the side of the road and made themselves look like the hero Too short-sighted to see that master-stroke played.

But hey, not like they can go to their (Aussie/English) cricket forums and boast about what they're gonna do to them
Old April 30, 2017, 02:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Indians, like most other South Asians, still suffer from a colonial-era inferiority complex vis-a-vis caucasians. They have no qualms about engaging in ajaira golabaji with BCB, but when a gora board screws them over, tokhon ekdom chup.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senman
There will be repercussions but nothing direct like revenge as everyone else was against BCCI so no point in singling out BCB. However, the effects of this decision will be felt over a long period of time in the form of reduced bilaterals, domestic tours, accommodation (basically fewer contacts). I am sure BCB will have mitigation plans so you guys don't have to worry.
India only toured BD once every 2 years and that too for just 1 Test and 3 ODIs. Also there is no firm guarantee of it being India's full strength side like 2014 tour. There were no A team tours, no U-19 tours, etc.

So the question is, BCB will increase its revenue from 76m to 132m which is 7 million per year. Would an India tour of just 1 Test and 3 ODIs bring in more than 14 million in profits each time? Perhaps. But again the arguments don't add up with the business side. If India touring BD is profitable, its because the 1 billion Indians will be watching the series supposedly. Which means they would watch the series in India as well, meaning that Bangladesh is just as financially attractive to sponsors to host in India (same stupid argument PCB is currently peddling). But the BCCI had long claimed that no one will watch BD series in India. So these factors don't add up...someone is lying somewhere.

Quote:
The only thing that could have been done better was if BCB and other ex-friendly boards informed of their position earlier to BCCI it would have kept an alternate plan ready but I can understand the need for greed (more money is always good except for BCCI which need to consider the well-being of world cricket).
Did Srinivisan give advance warning to BCB when he wanted to strip our Test status and make us an Associate in 2014?

BCCI had 2 months from February to April to "make plans"...there was an 8-2 vote against BCCI in February and at the time BCCI bragged about how they would easily make it "6-4" by April and not too worry. Your idiots dropped the ball while battling the Supreme Court and Lodha recommendations...don't blame it on BCB not giving you enough time.

Quote:
Expect the following:
1. No Asian bloc from now on, so some decisions may go against BD like 2 tiers in Tests.
Asian bloc benifitted India far more than BD. Similarly as BD is now an improving side, only Indians and Pakistanis would want us in a 2nd tier. White people are more civilized now and have gone past petty racism and ethnosupremacy more than the saffron clad smegma brigade, no offense. We have more faith in ECB and CA than on fellow dirtskins like PCB and BCCI.

Quote:
2. Reduced or no tours of Team India to Bangladesh and it may result in loss of revenue. India never cited security threats like Aussies, now it may do so and this will force NZ & ECB(why their players' life is any less valuable than Aussies or Indians).
Thats fine. India has been holding the ICC as hostage with this tours business and it looks like this may be ending soon hopefully.

Quote:
3. Because of point no.2, you will be forced to go touring hostile territories like Pakistan as you need at least few countries other than W.I and Zim to tour you regularly in order to pump up the tv revenues (I doubt Pakistan will provide Presidential level security for BD even if they claim so....)

^Basically all the problems BCB could face in the near future are listed above and I am sure BCB must have a mitigation plan in place so you guys probably don't have to worry.
LOL. Here's all the bad sh*t that is guaranteed to happen to you, but probably won't happen. Do you read your own bakwas or is the horse crap covering your eyes impairing your vision? Nice attempt at trying to scare us by not scaring us.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 30, 2017, 02:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
From a moral standpoint Papon has made the wrong decision. A friend isn't a true friend if he leaves his friend in difficult times in order to gain some monetary benefits. He indeed acted like a '' Dudher Masi''

Now some of my friends here r accusing bcci of buying votes. But how conveniently they r forgetting that ICC under manohar has done exactly the same.

Manohar promised to give 19mn to Zim and 40m to West indies in order to get their votes in favor of the proposal. So, ICC is no different than Bcci.

Yes, from a businessman's perspective Papon has taken the right decision, at least for now. Obviously he was convinced by the cunning manohar and Giles that bcci is going to lose the vote anyway since they have already managed to gather votes from WICB and ZCB by granting them loans. Which is why i believe Papon decided to go in the direction of the flow instead of standing against it.
So when the so called friend has not invited us to his home for so many years, tried to short change us for so long time and push us out of many tournaments he still Can't be classified as a friend no more.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
India only toured BD once every 2 years and that too for just 1 Test and 3 ODIs. Also there is no firm guarantee of it being India's full strength side like 2014 tour. There were no A team tours, no U-19 tours, etc.

So the question is, BCB will increase its revenue from 76m to 132m which is 7 million per year. Would an India tour of just 1 Test and 3 ODIs bring in more than 14 million in profits each time? Perhaps. But again the arguments don't add up with the business side. If India touring BD is profitable, its because the 1 billion Indians will be watching the series supposedly. Which means they would watch the series in India as well, meaning that Bangladesh is just as financially attractive to sponsors to host in India (same stupid argument PCB is currently peddling). But the BCCI had long claimed that no one will watch BD series in India. So these factors don't add up...someone is lying somewhere.

Did Srinivisan give advance warning to BCB when he wanted to strip our Test status and make us an Associate in 2014?

BCCI had 2 months from February to April to "make plans"...there was an 8-2 vote against BCCI in February and at the time BCCI bragged about how they would easily make it "6-4" by April and not too worry. Your idiots dropped the ball while battling the Supreme Court and Lodha recommendations...don't blame it on BCB not giving you enough time.

Asian bloc benifitted India far more than BD. Similarly as BD is now an improving side, only Indians and Pakistanis would want us in a 2nd tier. White people are more civilized now and have gone past petty racism and ethnosupremacy more than the saffron clad smegma brigade, no offense. We have more faith in ECB and CA than on fellow dirtskins like PCB and BCCI.

Thats fine. India has been holding the ICC as hostage with this tours business and it looks like this may be ending soon hopefully.

LOL. Here's all the bad sh*t that is guaranteed to happen to you, but probably won't happen. Do you read your own bakwas or is the horse crap covering your eyes impairing your vision? Nice attempt at trying to scare us by not scaring us.
I am going to keep it decent and avoid name calling.

I just explored possible scenarios, didn't mean to scare anyone over here. It may or may not happen but in case if it happens have mitigation plans in hand.

BCCI is known for certain things. For example, PCB tried to mess with BCCI by refusing to send its players in the second edition!! of IPL since then they are unsuccessfully trying to get it revoke Pak players ban from IPL. And we last toured them 10 ~12 years ago (PCB is claiming lost revenue of $200 million because of stoppage of bilateral after 2012/13.)

Revenue from India tours to Australia - worth up to $100 million extra to CA's annual balance sheet (you can read it here: Cricinfo) I am not sure how much it is for BD but surely much higher than regular tours from other countries.