facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 6, 2017, 07:45 PM
Rana Melb Rana Melb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 12, 2014
Posts: 3,604
Default Bring back Mominul in no 3!

This is the time.. we should think about more deeply in no 3 position. This is a vacant position since basher retire.. no one could settle since then. How long we ll be going with a makeshift no 3. All the big players in all the big teams play in one down position. We need to reinvest mominul- a genuine top order batsman. I dont see shabbir imrul or riad can shine in this role. Bring mominul please...
__________________
Love is blind..& I love team Bangladesh!
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old June 6, 2017, 08:21 PM
tanvir_nus's Avatar
tanvir_nus tanvir_nus is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 17, 2005
Location: the heart of the tiger
Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
Posts: 2,783

I think we need to give Liton Das a major run there. He is an opener and plays number 3 with ease. He is also a right hander which is what we need. Give him a run and see what he can do, just scored 752 runs after a successful 2015 year too, not only that he scored over 1200 runs in the NCL/BCL. We need consistent players with high SR, he has all the makings basically.
__________________
Taskin Ahmed Tazim : 143 KPH - 18 years - Against Aussies - 1st April, 2014
148 KPH - 20 years - Against Pak At Dhaka - 2nd March 2016
150 KPH - Coming Soon.. Will be the first Bangladeshi
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 6, 2017, 10:12 PM
Rana Melb Rana Melb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 12, 2014
Posts: 3,604

Mominul would be much better than liton specially in international areana. Mominul is a proven warrior.. technically correct n fluent in both side of the wickets.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 6, 2017, 10:23 PM
jeesh jeesh is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 4, 2005
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Posts: 4,058

But...he also can be reckless (But then again who isnt), tendency of throwing away his wicket. He also has an issue with strike rotation. Very good with fielders inside circle, he can score through 4's. But once field is spread he struggles a bit.

But nevertheless given the dearth of options, we could consider him as an option. Or maybe time to consider Mushfiq for 3 as discussed in another thread.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 7, 2017, 12:35 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 12,044

Either try sabbir again because if he can sort himself out in that position he'd be awesome (current issues is that his feet are slow to begin with and he can be overly aggressive) or give liton another run or give shanto a shot.

Liton and shanto did better than mominul in the DPL and they are both top order batsmen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 7, 2017, 12:38 AM
DinRaat. DinRaat. is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 30, 2017
Location: Sydney Australia
Favorite Player: AirBus A340
Posts: 5,635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Melb
This is the time.. we should think about more deeply in no 3 position. This is a vacant position since basher retire.. no one could settle since then. How long we ll be going with a makeshift no 3. All the big players in all the big teams play in one down position. We need to reinvest mominul- a genuine top order batsman. I dont see shabbir imrul or riad can shine in this role. Bring mominul please...
I extensively agree with slotting mini at 3.Class and temperament,compiled with technique is crucial to survive in this position.Mini has all that.

Liton Das would also be a good call.
__________________
Follow your deepest dream, the one you had as a kid... but stay focused.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 7, 2017, 12:52 AM
Rifat's Avatar
Rifat Rifat is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: March 30, 2007
Location: Connecticut
Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi
Posts: 15,088

Mominul, Anamul and Nasir three experienced campaigners who still has a ton to offer to Bangladesh cricket.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 7, 2017, 12:56 AM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 12,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Mominul, Anamul and Nasir three experienced campaigners who still has a ton to offer to Bangladesh cricket.
Yeah nasir a possible, this season he's batted out a lot of innings batting at 4 so he has the temperament to stay around and he generally scores reasonably quickly.

I guess if you want a genuine top order bat though then you'd try liton, shanto, mominul or anamul.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Miller 9 Procter 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 7, 2017, 01:03 AM
Kohli_Sox Kohli_Sox is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 30, 2012
Favorite Player: Abul
Posts: 3,408

Mominul definitely should play
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 7, 2017, 02:27 AM
Max100's Avatar
Max100 Max100 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 12, 2012
Location: Queens,NYC
Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL
Posts: 2,408

how abt shahriar nafees or nasir
__________________
MY top XI ODI player of 2018: 1.Tamim. 2.Rohit 3.Kohli 4.Mushfiq 5.Stokes 6.shakib 7.andre Russel 8.Kuldeep/Akila 9.starc 10.Rabada 11.Fizz
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old June 7, 2017, 02:51 AM
Shingara's Avatar
Shingara Shingara is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 6, 2016
Location: AWACS
Favorite Player: Ziya
Posts: 1,309

Why is Riyad not in that position ?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old June 7, 2017, 03:12 AM
Rinathq's Avatar
Rinathq Rinathq is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: January 1, 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim
Posts: 6,223

Imtiaz Hossain scored more then him in DPL... yea no thanks! Mominul can come play at no.3 when he can top the scoring chart in domestics.. he hasnt shown any consistency at the domestic level to indicate he can do it in the international stage. Liton came back well and for now deserves a chance at no.3.. For me though, It should go to one of Mushy or Shakib. Not gonna say Riyad because he has changed his game and now suits better down the order. Mushy is our most reliable batsman and with Tamim opening, we will get 2 of the most stable batsmen batting together very often and thats the best recipe for getting a big total for the team. If coach wants him at 4 or 5 as a safe guard then send in Shakib for the same reason Sabbir was sent.. to play aggressive and to destabilize the opposition. He is a crap finisher these days and cant protect the tail either... So him playing down the order isnt much use anyways. So might as well try him up and play him with his best friend who maybe able to talk some sense into him...

meanwhile, train Mosaddek, Shanto, Liton for the future role
__________________
My clicks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/108789483@N05/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 7, 2017, 03:37 AM
Max100's Avatar
Max100 Max100 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 12, 2012
Location: Queens,NYC
Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL
Posts: 2,408

mosaddek is a top order batsman, why try him as #7?
__________________
MY top XI ODI player of 2018: 1.Tamim. 2.Rohit 3.Kohli 4.Mushfiq 5.Stokes 6.shakib 7.andre Russel 8.Kuldeep/Akila 9.starc 10.Rabada 11.Fizz
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 7, 2017, 06:28 AM
simon's Avatar
simon simon is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 20, 2008
Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash
Posts: 24,510

It should be Liton,should get another chance.
Also what happened to Roquibul the Rock?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 7, 2017, 06:29 AM
SH Anik's Avatar
SH Anik SH Anik is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: June 7, 2017
Location: Dhaka (from Sylhet)
Favorite Player: Mustafizur,Saeed Anwar
Posts: 148

I would give Litton an another chance.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old June 7, 2017, 06:56 AM
lakers81 lakers81 is offline
Street Cricketer
 
Join Date: June 7, 2017
Posts: 48

Hello guys, just joined this site (from Dhaka, BD residing in Wash DC, USA, currently in BD right now) , I hope I can provide good posts here.

I read a few posts here and there and the topic of the number 3 batsmen caught my interest the most. Obviously for 2019 Saikat (Mosa) is the most suited and is being groomed long term, obviously some other bridge options right now could also be Mominul Haque, Nasir Hossain, Liton Das or Nazmul Hossain Shanto.

TBH I am honestly thinking BD already has their number 3 on the team and the player most equipped to play number three but is playing a different position right now, and I don't mean Mushfiqur Rahim.

Soumya Sarker is the best number 3 for BD right now at this moment and time, but he is being asked to play opener.

As insane and as stupid of an idea this might be, why not persist and give Shabbir a chance to open, to me due to his lack of defense number 3 is not a good position for him and I don't trust/like Kayes at all. Sabbir is either a dasher at opening or a finisher at 6/7.

The reason I bring this up is for a few reasons.

1. Sabbir has a Afridi like trait that he is too brave for his own good (which others will take it as stupid and not playing with sense), but I think him being opener and SS being at 3 works out better because of his aggressive style.
2. One thing I noticed is whenever BD loses Tamim/SS, whether it's the players/fans/commentators etc. they have a slightly defeated feeling in the sense that it's not just one wicket lost instead BD is literally down 100/2 or 15/2 because whoever at 3 will always mess it up and get out, and Mushfiqur will have to pull out his magic act.
3. Designated role for SS, Sarker can handle pinch hitting/anchor both roles fine but at opening he is being asked to be the aggressor (I think he prefers starting slowly but settling in rhythem) also he faces the pressure of being too much like Tamim who can easily do both roles. But for a number three someone has to be well rounded in offense and defense and has to be patient, I think by putting SS at 3 instead of opening, he will have slightly less pressure to live up to Tamim and can play more naturally to his skills.
4. left hand/right hand combo some of the top teams have that at opening, BD having 4 left handers out of top 5 is asking for a disaster to occur (Tamim, SS, Kayes, Shakib)
5. If Shabbir does go maniac mode it's better to do it early and still lose the wicket but atleast he accelerates the innings at a faster pace instead of 30/0 or 30/ 3/4 wickets lost after 10, you can probably have a 60/70 for 1 after the initial PP.

That way BD will only lose one wicket but doesn't need to feel that whenever the opening pair goes down, number three will flame out immidiately which more then not causes 40/2 or 55/3 after just 10 to 15 overs.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old June 7, 2017, 07:36 AM
tiger1000's Avatar
tiger1000 tiger1000 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 23, 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max100
mosaddek is a top order batsman, why try him as #7?
Mossadek can't handle the pace of the ball at 6/7, I think he's class, but not ready for limited overs cricket,

Sabbir for one isn't that good at 3,and it heavily weakens our lower order

Imrul hasn't taken his two chances

Litton can't play offside, our domestic cricket is so poor, he can still dominate, because he's so good legside, huge potential but not ready for limited overs cricket

I would agree with mominul, he should get a shot, he can't be worse than sabbir or imrul right now, he's got more talent than them two and it'll keep sabbir where he belongs and that's 5-7 or 35+ overs, which ever comes first
__________________
Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much- Oscar Wilde.


Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old June 7, 2017, 07:49 AM
tiger1000's Avatar
tiger1000 tiger1000 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 23, 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers81
Hello guys, just joined this site (from Dhaka, BD residing in Wash DC, USA, currently in BD right now) , I hope I can provide good posts here.

I read a few posts here and there and the topic of the number 3 batsmen caught my interest the most. Obviously for 2019 Saikat (Mosa) is the most suited and is being groomed long term, obviously some other bridge options right now could also be Mominul Haque, Nasir Hossain, Liton Das or Nazmul Hossain Shanto.

TBH I am honestly thinking BD already has their number 3 on the team and the player most equipped to play number three but is playing a different position right now, and I don't mean Mushfiqur Rahim.

Soumya Sarker is the best number 3 for BD right now at this moment and time, but he is being asked to play opener.

As insane and as stupid of an idea this might be, why not persist and give Shabbir a chance to open, to me due to his lack of defense number 3 is not a good position for him and I don't trust/like Kayes at all. Sabbir is either a dasher at opening or a finisher at 6/7.

The reason I bring this up is for a few reasons.

1. Sabbir has a Afridi like trait that he is too brave for his own good (which others will take it as stupid and not playing with sense), but I think him being opener and SS being at 3 works out better because of his aggressive style.
2. One thing I noticed is whenever BD loses Tamim/SS, whether it's the players/fans/commentators etc. they have a slightly defeated feeling in the sense that it's not just one wicket lost instead BD is literally down 100/2 or 15/2 because whoever at 3 will always mess it up and get out, and Mushfiqur will have to pull out his magic act.
3. Designated role for SS, Sarker can handle pinch hitting/anchor both roles fine but at opening he is being asked to be the aggressor (I think he prefers starting slowly but settling in rhythem) also he faces the pressure of being too much like Tamim who can easily do both roles. But for a number three someone has to be well rounded in offense and defense and has to be patient, I think by putting SS at 3 instead of opening, he will have slightly less pressure to live up to Tamim and can play more naturally to his skills.
4. left hand/right hand combo some of the top teams have that at opening, BD having 4 left handers out of top 5 is asking for a disaster to occur (Tamim, SS, Kayes, Shakib)
5. If Shabbir does go maniac mode it's better to do it early and still lose the wicket but atleast he accelerates the innings at a faster pace instead of 30/0 or 30/ 3/4 wickets lost after 10, you can probably have a 60/70 for 1 after the initial PP.

That way BD will only lose one wicket but doesn't need to feel that whenever the opening pair goes down, number three will flame out immidiately which more then not causes 40/2 or 55/3 after just 10 to 15 overs.
As an opener you need as good of a defence if not better one than a number 3, if sabbir can't handle number 3,he won't handle opening the innings

You compare him to afridi, and ok some similar traits, look at his long career... He was a failure up the order

I agree Sarkar is trying to much to be tamim and failing, but he's trying to be tamim by playing to slowly, Sarkar is an out and out attacker, he's shown nothing to suggest otherwise, he's at his best when he's going hard at the opponent, every time he's started too slowly he's not found rhythm, he's only found it in the past with boundaries flowing, that's his natural game, he's not an anchor

Left right hand combo is overrated, it only takes effect under pressure, that's nearly always only after 35 overs

Our opening whether that's tamim imrul or tamim Sarkar has been world class for few years now, that's now an issue, you assume we'll be 3 down for 40odd, but assume with Sabbir opening we'll get to go 10 overs without a wicket, that's not realistic

Don't fix what's not broken, tamim imrul or tamim Sarkar are good openers

We need to find a proper number 3
__________________
Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much- Oscar Wilde.


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old June 7, 2017, 07:50 AM
tonmoy.dhaka tonmoy.dhaka is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2016
Posts: 855

Liton Das for number 3 is the only option...

Mominul is a big big NO.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old June 7, 2017, 08:45 AM
R0ssei's Avatar
R0ssei R0ssei is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 29, 2016
Location: South-West Ontario, Canada
Favorite Player: Wang Liqin
Posts: 1,083

Try Liton Das. It's imperative that we come up with a solid No. 3 before 2019 WC.

Sabbir failed although I hoped he wouldn't. His technique is getting worse. Since we lack power hitter at the end, he can play at No. 7.

Mominul is an option. But he seems like a true test player to me. With TI's SR below 80, he wouldn't be much different, perhaps even slower. He can be slow n steady, but will have problems when RR needs to be increased.

Mushy can play at 3 only if Mullah can be consistent at 4. We're highly dependent on Tamim and Mushy for scoring big. So if we lose both in first 10 overs, we will be in deep trouble.

Technique is very important for No 3. You need to play both seamers and spinners, especially the new ball bowlers. You can be a tad slow for your first 30-40 runs, but then will have to accelerate. Running betn the wickets need to be world class.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old June 7, 2017, 09:21 AM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 6,060

Dont want mominul on a non test team. Its very negative.

Id rather have Liton Das. Currently the only short term solution is having mushfiq at 3.
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old June 7, 2017, 09:46 AM
Shubho Shubho is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: September 20, 2002
Posts: 3,521

How about Soumya and Liton as openers, and Tamim at three? For the good of the team I'm sure he can re-invent himself as an accumulator. Heck, he has to do that most of the time anyway. Soumya and Liton have opened together before, with Soumya as the aggressor and Liton as the anchor. Might be worth a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old June 7, 2017, 09:58 AM
Mas_UK25's Avatar
Mas_UK25 Mas_UK25 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 15, 2015
Location: UNITED KINGDOM
Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza
Posts: 6,058

No thanks.

Bring back Samsur Rahman. He did score a match winning 96 chasing 305 against NZ. Has mominul ever done that? No.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old June 16, 2017, 06:25 AM
Rana Melb Rana Melb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 12, 2014
Posts: 3,604

Dr nazrul was also surprised why mominul is not included in the team. He can be the ultimate solution for 2019 wc.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old June 16, 2017, 07:15 AM
MHRAM MHRAM is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 30, 2013
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey
Posts: 7,701

Mominul is fine but the issue with him is that we would eventually have two grafters in the top 3 - Tamim, Mini.

Liton would be great for a change if you ask me
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket