facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 17, 2004, 10:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara
Default Front page articles

Not that I am prying into moderators business, but simply inquisitive to know if the moderators run thru an editorial policy prior to publish an article on the front page. If so, what are the prerequisitions for a front page article?

On other thought, should a personal emotional reflexion as a written form(which might not necessarily represent the general fan's view)be considered to publish on the front page? Are grammatical mistakes allowed in a front page article? Should a short note even be considered as an "article"? Should an on-going substantial article be pruned prior to give space to a less substantial writing on the front page?

Considering the fact that more and more non Bangladeshi friends are browing this site, reading articles and perticipating on the discussion forum, I think that its time for our moderators to give a more prudent thought before selecting a front page articles. Thanks.

P.S. I have nothing personal against any article writers
Old May 17, 2004, 10:05 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Well said Navarene Bhai.
Old May 17, 2004, 10:26 AM
Retired BC Admin

As of now there is no full quality control in place simply because there is not enough submission. However we are actively thinking of some process to be in place to maintain a better article section. Thank you for your inputs.
Old May 17, 2004, 11:08 AM
Cricket Legend

What chinaman said. We don't have enough submissions. But it's growing.

Your points are valid though. I have the feeling that we will have to sit down and set up and pursue some sort of a writing guideline in the near future. But meanwhile, we are still waiting for a steady stream of articles.

Addendum: At this point, I think what Banglacricket needs the most is the contribution from individuals who are

a. good analysts of cricket.
b. regularly gets to watch Bangladesh live.
c. have good English writing skills

Unfortunately, very few of our regular writers have all three of these. For example: Sham is excellent at a and c, but not b. Therefore, you don't see him write for ages.

Oracle is doing a great job in this regard, btw.

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Arnab]
Old May 17, 2004, 01:56 PM
Cricket Legend

I think we could do andrew miller or rabeed islam type of writeups. not every article has to analyze the degree of bending or straightening in the chuckster's arm. Some could just deal with other aspects of the game. I am thinking of one right now on the "boshte dile shute chai" syndrome of bangladesh cricket fans....
Old May 17, 2004, 02:05 PM
Retired BC Admin

No andrew miller is needed when we have arnab. Let him write one or two articles a week. Just like rafiq said, there are many aspects, just take a sip and pick up the pen.
Old May 17, 2004, 02:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Rafiq, afraid you logged in too late to read the article that had just been replaced by Oracle's article again. by the way, Khaite dile amra shadharon jonogon boshte chaboi...no wonder bout that

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Navarene]
Old May 17, 2004, 02:24 PM
Cricket Guru

no article is good enough besides
"gono dolai" of these top orders
Old May 17, 2004, 07:37 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

nav, thanks for bringing it up. Chinaman and Arnab already focused on the main reasons behind our lax submission policy. I must admit that we are doing much better than our earlier stage in banglacricket and pretty soon, we will have some sort of quality control in place.
Old May 17, 2004, 08:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

quality vs. quantity
Old May 17, 2004, 08:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

what happens when someone not very familiar with banglacricket visits the site for the first time and stumbles onto [mod: edited] 'these articles'?? I wonder what kind of impressions those absurd articles make.

Your articles are damaging the Image of Bangladesh ('bhabmuriti' for the starters)

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by Zunaid : See U2U]
Old May 17, 2004, 09:16 PM
Cricket Legend

I think all of you guys who are so overtly critical of other people's writing should put your keyboard where your mouth is and write an article yourself!! ease up, for heaven's sake!
Old May 17, 2004, 09:28 PM
Administrator

What Rafiki said. BanglaCricket subsists on articles from our fans. At last count there were over 500 members here. Most of you have some very strong and interesting opinions - why don't you flesh them out and send it in to us?
Old May 17, 2004, 10:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

I don't buy this line of logic.

Lets say someone is not a writer, does it automatically relinquish his rights to criticize? Or, does one needs to become a writer first in order to be a critic? My case is - that these 'Bad Articles' are making Banglacricket.com a laughing stock. So we should cut down on quantity and focus on quality. I'm not asking for super high quality stuff - but can live without the inexorable flow of bad-quality articles. For certain writers, there is no visible improvement over the past years. I will draw a parallel of this to the likes of playing an underperforming Khaled Mahmood ceaselessly just because no one else can fill his role.

Maybe its time we send the final thank-you note.
Old May 17, 2004, 11:09 PM
Retired BC Admin

We need to clear up few things. Banglacricket is not a professional site, at least not yet. What gets us going is the enthusiasm of our dedicated and faithful fans. Without a collective effort, banglacricket wouldn't be where it is now today. The article section is just a facet of the wonderful efforts. We must rely on the volunteers for our articles. So when we receive a write up, we must show our appreciation regardless of the quality in order to encourage the writers. We can not push an author, we can only encourage him / her. That's a built in limitation.

Having said that, we have been rapidly transforming into what could be called a professional looking site with all these improvements in sections, thanks to you all. As we make progreses in other departments, we vow to make definite changes in our article section too. We love to get at least one quality article a day. The reality is that we are not there yet. So we are trying to make improvements with the available resources only. The plans are to make an editorial board through which each submitted article must pass through. Hopefully this plan will ensure some standard across the board. However we have another big project at hand, a facelift of the site with better integration of various sections. Potential editors have been busy to finish up that project pretty soon. Once we are through, we will form and enforce the editorial plan.

One last thing, demanding better article is good while demoralising an author is not. Every author tries his / her best. You could always analyse an article and point out the missing elements or even pass on few tips for impovements. And please do not forget to encourage the author who actually tries to write something for us while others are not that much motivated. We are constantly looking into ways to make banglacricket even more enjoyable. Please bear with us while we continue to do that. Thank you very much.
Old May 17, 2004, 11:32 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
One last thing, demanding better article is good while demoralising an author is not. Every author tries his / her best. You could always analyse an article and point out the missing elements or even pass on few tips for impovements.
I have one thing to say. Since I am one of the most regular writers here, I've seen it from my short-experience here that I was encouraged to write more better quality articles only when I was criticized on certain cricketing points, for example, why a certain player is in the team or why the other player is not in the team - things like that.

Those constructive criticisms forced me to analyze statistics and other things just to prove my point.

Somehow I don't see these happening at the moment. (So I am trying to encourage people to do some constructive criticisms; saying that -) so does it mean that with the increasing number of fans, is the quality of the board has decreased to some degree?
Old May 17, 2004, 11:34 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default A suggestion

How about creating a top thread with the regulars that stay on top of the page all the time - like the Fantasy cricket right now, which should consist of only the criticisms - shomalochona/alochona whatever?
Old May 17, 2004, 11:43 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
does it mean that with the increasing number of fans, is the quality of the board has decreased to some degree?
Not at all. Quite the contrary, the expectation has increased tremendously!
Old May 17, 2004, 11:44 PM
Cricket Legend

I'll be happy to edit articles for this site.
Old May 18, 2004, 12:00 AM
Retired BC Admin

Really appreciate it, rafiq.

Little bit more on our future plan. Any author would be allowed to upload articles which will immediately and automatically be on "pending" mode. The editors will then make the edits if needed and then either approve or deny it for pullishing.

We'll definitely need some editors. Glad to have your helping hands.
Old May 18, 2004, 01:35 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

can i be the spell checker, please?

Old May 18, 2004, 01:38 AM
Retired BC Admin

Why not. Actually, those who are interested to help us out for the article section, please state your interest here. Once the system is placed, we'll contact you. Thank you.
Old May 18, 2004, 01:46 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal
Default OMG

i can't believe it chinaman vai, u took it seriously. i was joking because i make so many spelling mistake, i can be the "perfect" candidate as a spell checker. please see my sig in case u've not see it yet.

on the other thought, i'm always willing to help this site anyway possible. but, not right now. whatever spair time i've i'm trying to use it for the theme. i'd try things like those once i'm done with the theme.