facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 20, 2017, 05:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful
Default Is @Isam84 an Agent of BCB?

Lack of A team/U-19 tours, Isam stays quite.
No article about how it impacts players development etc

Do you guys feel he misses out on key issues in his articles?
Is he afraid of the backlash he might receive from BCB directors?

His article often seems to be more pro-BCB than a balanced one.

Old July 20, 2017, 06:23 AM
Cricket Legend

He is looking at the bigger picture, and of course the glass half full. Things are going well for Bangladeshi cricket (There are more good things than bad), which he is writing about-fair enough really.

I dont read any of the Bengali papers, but Daily Star, New Age, Tribune pretty much keeps a similar stance. Except every Isam article is like a recreation of Malcolm Gladwells writing style applied to cricket. Thoroughly enjoyable
Old July 20, 2017, 09:40 AM
Cricket Sage

He is representing Bangladesh (not BCB) to the world through cricinfo. So yes there may be some positive spin in his article, but it is expected.
Old July 20, 2017, 09:57 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

He is not a fan of BCB and its bureaucracy. Follow him on Facebook. He gets very critical about many of the directors/selections/BCB elections/and many of its policies. Isam and Ariful Islam Roney are some good reporters to follow to understand BCB.

not sure about his twitter handle. but he is much more active in FB. we still message back and forth from time to time.
Old July 20, 2017, 09:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
He is representing Bangladesh (not BCB) to the world through cricinfo. So yes there may be some positive spin in his article, but it is expected.
So he should hide the flaws in BCB to represent Bangladesh well in cricket world? He shouldn't write about how BCB directors have failed to invest in development of Bangladesh cricket? How the consequences of those flaws in the future can have impacts on Bangladesh future stars? I see other journalist who leave nothing behind when they write articles, especially English journalist.
Old July 20, 2017, 10:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
He is not a fan of BCB and its bureaucracy. Follow him on Facebook. He gets very critical about many of the directors/selections/BCB elections/and many of its policies. Isam and Ariful Islam Roney are some good reporters to follow to understand BCB.

not sure about his twitter handle. but he is much more active in FB. we still message back and forth from time to time.
FB is his personal views. His articles mostly have been pro-BCB.
Old July 20, 2017, 10:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
So he should hide the flaws in BCB to represent Bangladesh well in cricket world? He shouldn't write about how BCB directors have failed to invest in development of Bangladesh cricket? How the consequences of those flaws in the future can have impacts on Bangladesh future stars? I see other journalist who leave nothing behind when they write articles, especially English journalist.
Depends where he is writing, cricketinfo or in local newspaper. Also you do constructive criticism with some constructive feedback (to the problem) but not criticize for the sake of criticism. Most of our reporters cannot distinguish between the two. However I think Isam is doing pretty good job in this regard.
Old July 20, 2017, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Depends where he is writing, cricketinfo or in local newspaper. Also you do constructive criticism with some constructive feedback (to the problem) but not criticize for the sake of criticism. Most of our reporters cannot distinguish between the two. However I think Isam is doing pretty good job in this regard.
There is big audience that wants to find out how BCB is utilising the money they make for our cricket. Has he written any article on that? Nope.

There is big audience as why BCB are constantly failing to arrange A team tours/U-19 tours for our cricketers. Has he written anything on this issue? Nope.

He neglects topics that have audiences and writes some diplomatically correct articles. I am very annoyed and think his turning into like those Indian journalist that are always pro BCCI/India.

Some of his articles, I don't see any value in them.
Old July 20, 2017, 10:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
There is big audience that wants to find out how BCB is utilising the money they make for our cricket. Has he written any article on that? Nope.

There is big audience as why BCB are constantly failing to arrange A team tours/U-19 tours for our cricketers. Has he written anything on this issue? Nope.

He neglects topics that have audiences and writes some diplomatically correct articles. I am very annoyed and think his turning into like those Indian journalist that are always pro BCCI/India.

Some of his articles, I don't see any value in them.
Just wondering ...you mentioned "There is a big audience" multiple times... is it based on some fact or your assumption? My assumption (not based on fact) is, very few fans cares about how BCB utilizing the money as long as team is winning.

There are plenty of reporters out there, if you don't feel that he don't bring any value, don't read him, read other reporters of your choice. Is any other reporters addressing your concern or issues?

In my humble opinion, out of all those reporters, Isam is one of the bright spots... he may not address all the issues, but he is doing his part.
Old July 20, 2017, 10:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Now that the topic is on the table, has anyone phoned in or read any of the balance sheet/other financial records of the BCB?

Anyone knows who are the accountants of the BCB?

Any research has been done to find out who these people are?
Transparency, eh?
Old July 20, 2017, 10:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Just wondering ...you mentioned "There is a big audience" multiple times... is it based on some fact or your assumption? My assumption (not based on fact) is, very few fans cares about how BCB utilizing the money as long as team is winning.

There are plenty of reporters out there, if you don't feel that he don't bring any value, don't read him, read other reporters of your choice. Is any other reporters addressing your concern or issues?

In my humble opinion, out of all those reporters, Isam is one of the bright spots... he may not address all the issues, but he is doing his part.
In social media you can easily get the answer to if people are interested in finding out how BCB is utilising money for the development of Bangladesh Cricket, just posted on FB and you will see the result. The audience is big, and I have posted on FB to see the reaction, it was big.

The problem here is Isam mostly writes articles that are common knowledge. As a journalist he should write about things that are unknown/uncommon and try to investigate on behalf of fans where there is a audience. You see the English journalist they do this very well, the moment they see that a audience is building up, they do their research and come up with good detailed articles.

In my view his articles have been too pro BCB these days and common knowledge sort of articles.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

The problem here is Isam mostly writes articles that are common knowledge. As a journalist he should write about things that are unknown/uncommon and try to investigate on behalf of fans where there is a audience. You see the English journalist they do this very well, the moment they see that a audience is building up, they do their research and come up with good detailed articles.

In my view his articles have been too pro BCB these days and common knowledge sort of articles.
Not necessarily, you have different type of reporters/journalist in the industry. the type you mentioned are more like "investigative reporters". Not every journalist need to be investigative reporters. Isam mainly writes to cricinfo, and it has its limitation what he writes and what he doesn't. The sports reporters in the Bangladesh newspaper have more leverage and most likely better platform to write investigative reports. But they are the one, who are failing to address your issues not Isam in cricinfo.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Not necessarily, you have different type of reporters/journalist in the industry. the type you mentioned are more like "investigative reporters". Not every journalist need to be investigative reporters. Isam mainly writes to cricinfo, and it has its limitation what he writes and what he doesn't. The sports reporters in the Bangladesh newspaper have more leverage and most likely better platform to write investigative reports. But they are the one, who are failing to address your issues not Isam in cricinfo.
I have seen cricinfo Journalist from other nations do investigative research.

It maybe that Isam doesn't have those qualities to carry out investigative research work.

We only have one BD journalist on Cricinfo, when others have min. 2 or more.
Hence we are limited to Isam, that's all. Would have been better if there were more.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Cricinfo is a private company, they recruit who they want to...and to an extent determine what news they want their journalists to report.

I don't think Isam is freelance.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Cricinfo is a private company, they recruit who they want to...and to an extent determine what news they want their journalists to report.

Exactly.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

How do you know that? They don't put a restriction on information being shared with public that has a audience. I feel that he just doesn't have the skill. Most other nation's journalist are able to carry out good investigative research work and write detailed articles, he can't be the only one that has restriction specifically for him?
Old July 20, 2017, 11:30 AM
Cricket Savant

^^Case in point: Fazal's post (Post #12)
Old July 20, 2017, 11:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I feel that he just doesn't have the skill. Most other nation's journalist are able to carry out good investigative research work and write detailed articles, he can't be the only one that has restriction specifically for him?
"I feel he doesn't have the skill "(for investigative reporting) is one thing but accusing a reporter as "Agent of BCB" (in the headline) is completely different thing my friend. That's why some of us came to defend Isam.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
^^Case in point: Fazal's post (Post #12)
There is no limitation if you do good investigative research work. There has been many good articles written in cricinfo recently, regards to pay disputes, board/players disputes, Indian cricket saga etc, very good detailed resourceful articles. He just doesn't have the skills to reach those level of journalism, sadly.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
"I feel he doesn't have the skill "(for investigative reporting) is one thing but accusing a reporter as "Agent of BCB" (in the headline) is completely different thing my friend. That's why some of us came to defend Isam.
When his articles have been unbalanced, more pro BCB, one can question that.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Journalism is a broad field like Engineering for example. "Investigative Reporting" is a one specialized area of the whole spectrum.

For example if we complain why a telecommunication Engineer cannot design a bridge (structural Engineer) how fair complain it is?
Old July 20, 2017, 11:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Isam needs to log on and settle this thing once and for all.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
When his articles have been unbalanced, more pro BCB, one can question that.

Are you questioning his articles which you throught pro BCB? Then it will be helpful to point those out for discussion. vague accusation doesn't help us understand from where you are coming from.

In a general term aren't we all Pro-BCB by default unless BCB make a wrong move? Not sure where this Pro-BCB vs Anti-BCB is comming from.
Old July 20, 2017, 12:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Isam had previously reported the blemishes of domestic cricket. You can read his articles on Dpl 2016 season, second division cricket etc. He is not an agent of BCB. At times he even went as far as reporting the controversial news of personal life of cricketers which shouldn't be there in a sports dedicated site. So he has his flaws.
Old July 20, 2017, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Are you questioning his articles which you throught pro BCB? Then it will be helpful to point those out for discussion. vague accusation doesn't help us understand from where you are coming from.

In a general term aren't we all Pro-BCB by default unless BCB make a wrong move? Not sure where this Pro-BCB vs Anti-BCB is comming from.
His silence on matters related to the directors failures in regards to use of funds/arrangement of tours etc that can hamper the development process of our young cricketers. He is very quick to run articles on players personal life, but unable to write articles when it comes to the elites? especially when they have failed in their roles, e.g. head of operations etc.

@Shadow,

I'm not sure if Isam genuinely does any work apart from copying and editing what has already been published in the Bengali/English newspapers in BD? Many times, I have found, what ever he published on X day, has been published already 2-3 day before in the Bangladesh media.

Once again, I reiterate, I don't think his a good journalist.
Perhaps the best in BD, but the least skilful on cricinfo if you compare to others.