facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 28, 2017, 08:45 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Default Commentary - Mehrab Hossain / Shahriar Nafees

It was refreshing to see new commentators after decades of Sir Atahar and Lord Shamim.

I heard very little of Nafees. But initial impression on Mehrab -

Quite decent. Doesn't talk a lot like Ata/Shamim. He is still nervous. Analysis of the game requires improvement. He was an average player and so not sure how well he understands the game. Accent is smooth and understandable. But tries to pull of a British accent with a hint of standard American accent. Mehrab is bicurious.

Old August 28, 2017, 08:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

SN needs to polish his English a bit more. He will improve with more practice. But his insight into the game has been top notch. Agree about Mehrab. He studied in Australia I have heard, so has a slight Aussie accent.
Old August 28, 2017, 08:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Should be included in BPL commentary team.

One way to improve himself and become more confident.

Liked his commentary, has potential to become our commentator for long time.
Old August 28, 2017, 08:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
SN needs to polish his English a bit more. He will improve with more practice. But his insight into the game has been top notch. Agree about Mehrab. He studied in Australia I have heard, so has a slight Aussie accent.
SN limitation in English doesnt allow him to express what he wants to say.

Like you say has great insight, but i thought he found it hard to express it naturally.
Old August 28, 2017, 08:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Mehrab is a perfect commentator for chess games.

His commentary lacks the energy and charm required for international cricket audience. However, given our young history and lack of English speaking experts, I think he should be given more time and opportunities to improve.

Nafees should stick to playing cricket. Embarrasing.
Old August 28, 2017, 08:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Nafees needs a lot of polishing of his spoken English for him to have commentary as a career . But agree with habib..has decent insight to the game ... when he speaks ..he is more like in your face type of commentator ... often takes the attention away from the game and makes u focus on the commentary which is not good I think ...

Mehrab on the hand hand is very natural ..and soothing ...and u kinda can listen to him in the back ground ...I think he has future in commentary if he wants ... I also like the fact that he talks about the opposition players a lot unlike athar and shamim (who I don't think know much of opposition players to begin with )

If mehrab is not lazy and does his homework and studies each player ... like most good commentators does then he can easily be another voice in our commentary team .. and will excel athar.

I started liking mehrab the moment I listened to him ....
Old August 28, 2017, 09:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Also shahriar was there less than mehrab...i think the t.v. team already kind of phasing shahriar out ... and he is just another guest commie .. mehrab was on regular rotation

They can also possibly do 3 man commentary when these new guys are in ..specially shariar so it is more eased ..and even can try out other new voices ...perks of having the tv rights
Old August 28, 2017, 09:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Mehrab has brighter prospect purely from presentation point of view. Although not much personality, neither does he add any key sharp points-which Nafees does bring.

Impressed with Eddie Rainsford though. Become a top quality commentator, worthy of getting into the big league.
Old August 28, 2017, 09:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Should be included in BPL commentary team.

You are right ..I agree ...
Old August 28, 2017, 09:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

I got a theory on Soumya's strange and idiot getting out. I think he did it deliberately so that Mominul gets a chance in the second Test. Good on him.
Old August 28, 2017, 09:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh

Impressed with Eddie Rainsford though. Become a top quality commentator, worthy of getting into the big league.
Yeah ..definitely better than many of the elite subcontinent commentators ...

I really don't think English commentary should be for ppl who speak English as second or 3rd language ... and cricket perhaps may have some of the worse commentators employed ...

Listen to any soccer ..basketball or a American football commentary .... they add so much excitement .
Old August 28, 2017, 09:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Nafees has good insight but his English is not there yet and also a bit nervous. Mehrab has good English but no real input.

But they can improve and a breathe of fresh air compares to SC

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old August 28, 2017, 09:19 AM
Cricket Legend

That sort of commentator is so rare these days. Grew up listening to Henry Blofeld, Tony Greig and Bill Lawry, boy they made cricket exciting.
Old August 28, 2017, 09:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
Nafees has good insight but his English is not there yet and also a bit nervous. Mehrab has good English but no real input.

But they can improve and a breathe of fresh air compares to SC

SC and AAK are like Soumya Sarker and Sabbir Rahman. Time for a change
Old August 28, 2017, 09:42 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Ata - has decent knowledge about the game. knows the BD players well by virtue of being close to the team personally and also as an ex-selector. but way too passionate. barely gives credits to the opposition team. sometimes gets so excited about a boundary or six that feels like having an orgasm.

Shamim - best spoken out of all. has a smooth accent. good vocabulary. almost seems like a native english speaker. legend has it that he is the prince (of derbyshire) that was promised. but zero knowledge of the game. those stupid puns such as red cherry and nelson raising fingers is annoying. I bet the other commentators hates him.

Mehrab - slow smooth talker. I would listen to him in an audiobook narrating some charles dickens novel. totally anti ata. never gets excited. him and paint drying are head to head in the most mundane competition. but he is still new and can learn. potentially can replace shamim.

nafees - thinks in bangla first, translates that thought into english word by word, then re arranges some noun and verb, and then spits out words such "that was a good shot". needs a better RAM for such higher processing speed. he knows the game well and one can see that from his bangla interviews. will be a guest commie for a while before getting a full time gig. let's see how far this unpaid internship goes.
Old August 28, 2017, 12:06 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Bhaire bhai... maaf chai. Ami touba korlam amake keu poisha dileo ami commintry (not Coventry) korbo na...

Tough crowd huh? Damn. I am just happy and relieved to see a fresh new face as Opi. Nafees is a weirdo we all know, but oh well. Didn't even know that was him before I read this thread. But come'on let's not dissect them apart like frogs.

From a nation where English isn't our first language, where it is hard to find a cricketer + commentator, I am happy with him even though he is average. And there is a growth mindset you know? Give him few more games, he will rock.

On a completely unrelated note, I just love Ash the analyst. Some of the phrases and stuffs he mentions you will never hear anywhere else. Things like "drop wicket"... I didn't even know what was that or his keen acumen that looking at foot tracks Sir could clearly deduce he dryness of pitch of first day. That guys is really a genius, and once he gets over his totano, amta amtaness and awkwardness he would be a stellar analyst.
Old August 28, 2017, 03:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Meh! rab is more fluent but both are mediocre.
Old August 28, 2017, 03:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
It was refreshing to see new commentators after decades of Sir Atahar and Lord Shamim.

I heard very little of Nafees. But initial impression on Mehrab -

Quite decent. Doesn't talk a lot like Ata/Shamim. He is still nervous. Analysis of the game requires improvement. He was an average player and so not sure how well he understands the game. Accent is smooth and understandable. But tries to pull of a British accent with a hint of standard American accent. Mehrab is bicurious.
He should understand the game better than Lord Shamim if average player was a criteria.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 28, 2017 at 04:34 PM..
Old August 28, 2017, 04:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ziya

SN was terrible. He was struggling!
Old August 28, 2017, 09:31 PM
Cricket Legend

I am just very glad to see new faces, cricketer commentators are in the mix. They will get better in time.
Old August 28, 2017, 09:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
On a completely unrelated note, I just love Ash the analyst. Some of the phrases and stuffs he mentions you will never hear anywhere else. Things like "drop wicket"... I didn't even know what was that or his keen acumen that looking at foot tracks Sir could clearly deduce he dryness of pitch of first day. That guys is really a genius, and once he gets over his totano, amta amtaness and awkwardness he would be a stellar analyst.
This! Ash's analysis of the game is just mesmerizing. I cant think on any one of our other analyst knows so much about so much. Really enjoying his post or pre match analysis on youtube. The man is a genius. If we had a bangla commentary team, I would put him on right away.
Old August 28, 2017, 10:37 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyme
This! Ash's analysis of the game is just mesmerizing. I cant think on any one of our other analyst knows so much about so much. Really enjoying his post or pre match analysis on youtube. The man is a genius. If we had a bangla commentary team, I would put him on right away.
Yeah. I actually had to google "drop in pitch". This is what he may be referring to:

Old August 28, 2017, 10:44 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

As someone said give them opportunity during BPL if they are not playing. I think both have good cricket knowledge they just need more confidence.
Old August 28, 2017, 10:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
He should understand the game better than Lord Shamim if average player was a criteria.
I understand cricket better than Shamim Chowdhury and I am not even a professional cricketer or an analyst

Old August 29, 2017, 12:12 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Nafees actually has good content. He is a bit soft and subdued and holds back but that will wear out over time. Unlike broken record like Lord.