facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 29, 2017, 01:47 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Bangladesh, a formidable force in cricket now

There is still that lingering feeling of humiliation when your established team is beaten by Bangladesh, especially in test cricket but that is just a ghost from the past. You shake your head, effectively shaking that feeling off too, realising that you shouldn't be feeling bad about it so much as you should about your own team's weaknesses or state of transition.

Yes I am a Sri Lankan, and yes, I am thinking of the recent test defeat and one day series defeat to Bangladesh. Looking back, I think that performance of Sri Lanka - drawing tests 1-1 and losing ODIs by 'just' 2-3 - was good compared to the subsequent disastrous ODI series loss to Zimbabwe and the on-going thrashing we are receiving at the hands of India.

As I write, Bangladesh is dominating Australia in clinical fashion. 133/3 in the second innings with Tamim Iqbal and the ever reliable skipper Mushfiqur Rahim on 76 and 25 respectively, with an overall lead of 176 runs with 7 wickets standing. With Bangladesh's well balanced bowling attack ready to take advantage of home conditions, I will bet my last dime on an Australian defeat. Such a win would be historic for Bangladesh only because they have not beaten Australia in a test before, but given the heights the Tigers have reached, this is only to be expected.

This Bangladeshi team reminds me of the Sri Lankan team in the mid 1990s lead by Arjuna Ranatunga, with the likes of Aravinda de Silva, Mahanama, Gurusinghe, Chaminda Vass and Muralitharan dictating terms to so called powers in world cricket.

Apart from a strong batting line up, Bangladesh has one of the best balanced bowling attacks in World cricket, backed by above par fielding but what is most important about the team is something else, something that Arjuna Ranatunga instilled in the minds of Sri Lankan cricketers. Let me come to that.

Years and years before Sri Lanka were granted test status, they had gone way past the level Bangladesh or Zimbabwe had reached when they were granted test status. So when Sri Lanka were granted test status, they had excellent, world class cricketers like Bandula Warnapura, Duleep Mendis, Roy Dias, Sidath Wettimuny, Ashantha de Mel, Rumesh Ratnayake, Ravi Ratnayake and D S de Silva. In spite of their excellence, the Sri Lankans were known as the smiling gentlemen from Asia, rightly so. They were there to play cricket fair and square and take victory and defeat (the latter mostly) with a smile.

Arjuna Ranatunga changed all that. He turned the team into a ruthless outfit, meaning business. They became a set of guys going out there to win and give the likes of aggressive Aussies (how can I forget Shane Warne) and South Africans a taste of their own medicine. The result - Sri Lanka winning the world cup just 16 years after being granted test cricket.

Well, the important factor of Bangladesh cricket I stopped short of mentioning above is that same aggression, that winning spirit, that self-belief.

I am pretty sure that apart from Australia, many other so called top rated teams will be beaten by Bangladesh in the immediate future.

Bangladesh is now a formidable force and I hope they are there to stay.

Old August 29, 2017, 01:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Thanks for your input. Great to hear your view about our cricket

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old August 29, 2017, 01:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz

Let's wait till the game is over. All 3 results still possible.
Old August 29, 2017, 01:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

You are so welcome mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
Thanks for your input. Great to hear your view about our cricket

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old August 29, 2017, 01:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Given the glorious uncertainties of cricket, I'd say you are right but what I say about the Bangladeshi team is in general and not just about this match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Let's wait till the game is over. All 3 results still possible.
Old August 29, 2017, 02:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

If Bangladesh manages to post about 260 in the second innings they's be in with a good chance.

Two quick wickets in this innings have changed the scenario in a bit still the Tigers are in with a good chance in this match.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

As far as the current test is concerned, Aussies have pulled it back with a quick succession of wickets. Mehidy Hasan Miraz is doing the rights thing by hitting out which I guess he could do better than defending. The target for the Aussies should be about 275.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Legit jinx thread. If we lose from here, I blame this thread. And our players incompetence.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Thanks a lot for the beaitiful write up. It's really a great feeling to see our BD team getting respect from other countries. I love Sri Lankan cricket, my second favourite team after Bangladesh. I just hope someday we will get players like Sangakara or Muralidharan
Old August 29, 2017, 04:04 AM
Cricket Legend

BD cricket team must be doing something right in one hand to get so much appreciation from some gentlemen from Sri Lanka, India, West Indies in BC and on the other hand making some Indian fans sooooooo jealous that they almost spend their entire idle time in BC to bash BD team

(Should I start mentioning the names )
Old August 29, 2017, 04:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sachin Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
BD cricket team must be doing something right in one hand to get so much appreciation from some gentlemen from Sri Lanka, India, West Indies in BC and on the other hand making some Indian fans sooooooo jealous that they almost spend their entire idle time in BC to bash BD team

(Should I start mentioning the names )
LOL why would an Indian be jealous of Bangladesh? The last time we played in Champions trophy...we have beaten you once by 240 runs and next time by 9 wickets. BD may have improved marginally but the gulf wit Indian team is massive.

#FACT
Old August 29, 2017, 04:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin 3:!6
LOL why would an Indian be jealous of Bangladesh? The last time we played in Champions trophy...we have beaten you once by 240 runs and next time by 9 wickets. BD may have improved marginally but the gulf wit Indian team is massive.

#FACT
Then why are you guys so interested in BD team and spend your entire day in a Bangladeshi forum. You have your mighty Indian team to take all your attention away from everybody. I just wonder what makes BD team soooooo interesting that so many people frim all over the world follow our cricket sooooo closely
Old August 29, 2017, 04:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sachin Tendulkar

Quote:
Then why are you guys so interested in BD team and spend your entire day in a Bangladeshi forum. You have your mighty Indian team to take all your attention away from everybody. I just wonder what makes BD team soooooo interesting that so many people frim all over the world follow our cricket sooooo closely
Which Indian spent whole day in Bangla forum? Don't be ignorant now. There are hardly 2-3 Indians in this forum and most of them are Indian bengalis. Its bcoz of Bong connection. Hindi speaking Indians dont even know or care when a BD match going on.
Old August 29, 2017, 05:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Which Indian spent whole day in Bangla forum? Don't be ignorant now. There are hardly 2-3 Indians in this forum and most of them are Indian bengalis. Its bcoz of Bong connection. Hindi speaking Indians dont even know or care when a BD match going on.
Old August 29, 2017, 05:12 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Which Indian spent whole day in Bangla forum?
My crystal ball tells me that person's name starts with an A and ends with 3:!6. Not entirely sure who that is but my crystal ball is never wrong bro.
Old August 29, 2017, 05:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Does anything else other than **** come out of your posts.
Old August 29, 2017, 06:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: ATM - No One.

I don't understand why this austin geezer never gets banned but our own posters get banned easily. We are good at dealing with our own because it's easier I guess.

Austin, adds nothing valuable even constructive criticism is welcome but all he comes here to show nationalism. Little do some mods see....

Try to go to their troll forum ICF, and try acting once like austin. Watch how their bharat army gang up on you, even their mods join in.
Old August 29, 2017, 06:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Bong connections? Lame excuse. They are Indians in our eyes. Connection or not doesn't make not not Indian.

As for you. What are you man? One minute your punjabi next minute bangali- what are you?
Old August 29, 2017, 10:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

just ignore him.

on topic, good write up abherath. it is nice to hear positive words from a great cricketing nation.
Old August 29, 2017, 10:24 AM
Banned for 2 weeks

I knew it immediately he was speaking in general.

Thank you abherath.
Old August 30, 2017, 03:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

There's nothing called a jinx in cricket. It's talent and temperament.
If you have a headache would you blame the pillow ?
..and didn't I say it ? Bangladesh won, jinx or no jinx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Legit jinx thread. If we lose from here, I blame this thread. And our players incompetence.
Old August 30, 2017, 03:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

Thank you so much mate.
I work from home now. I work for myself after retirement last year.
I ran upstairs from my study to watch the great moment - that plumb LBW. It was great to see the spectators celebrating and your Prime Minister was not let down either.
Well done Bangladesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
just ignore him.

on topic, good write up abherath. it is nice to hear positive words from a great cricketing nation.
Old August 30, 2017, 03:06 AM
ODI Cricketer

Mate, you already have greats like Shakib, Mushfiqur and Tamim.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the beaitiful write up. It's really a great feeling to see our BD team getting respect from other countries. I love Sri Lankan cricket, my second favourite team after Bangladesh. I just hope someday we will get players like Sangakara or Muralidharan
Old August 30, 2017, 03:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Ignore the likes of Austin and Eclpise. I have some Indian colleagues/friends who are amazing. Already sent me congrats.

You have to realise there will always be sour grapes like them from India/Pakistan, but lets not end up like them.

Lets be victorious and not belittle ourselves and not make lewd remarks like them
Old August 30, 2017, 03:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Have to learn to grasp the match from strong positions, well. Have the tendency to keep letting teams come back into it, by playing bad shots and getting out cheaply when it looked like we could score more and out bat an opponent out of the game.

Whenever bd finds itself in commanding positions theres always some silly collapse out of the blue.

A very good soild side in LOI all over, and test at home and subcontinent conditions (yet to be test outside subcontinent for years now), no doubt.
As there's always rooms for improvements. BD has much to improve.