facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old September 4, 2017, 07:51 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Star India bags ipl rights for 2.55billion dollors

The BCCI has bagged INR 16,347.5 crore (US$ 2.55 billion) for its IPL television and digital rights from a single bidder, Star India, which made a consolidated offer for rights worldwide. The sale of the rights, which are for the five-year period from 2018 to 2022, is effectively the biggest television deal in cricket.

A total of 24 companies had bought the tender document but only 14 eventually bid at the event in Mumbai. The bids were for seven categories: television in India, digital in India, and rights for the USA, Europe, Middle East, Africa and the rest of the world. For the five international markets, the bids included both television and digital rights. Star won them all by making one consolidated global bid (INR 16,347.5 crore) - the only bidder to do so - that was larger than the sum of all the highest bids for each category (INR 15,819.51 crore).

Star's winning bid is a 158% increase in the media rights value for IPL broadcasting from the previous cycle. In 2009, Sony had bought television rights for $1.63 billion for nine years from World Sports Group, which had bagged the rights for $918 million from the BCCI for a ten-year period. That cycle came to an end in 2017. Star were the previous holders of digital rights in India as well, having paid INR 303 crore for a three-year digital rights deal (2015-17).

Star and Sony Pictures Network India were the only two eligible bidders for IPL rights to the Indian television market after the bids were technically evaluated on Monday.

"We believe that the IPL is a very powerful property, and we believe there is lots more value that can be created for fans of cricket and viewers through IPL on digital as well as on TV," Uday Shankar, chairman of Star India, said. "And we would remain very committed to make sure that the growth of sports in this country continues to be driven by the power of cricket."

As Shankar noted, the television and digital rights were "fiercely contested". The difference between Star's global bid and the total of the highest bid in each category was only INR 528.5 crore (3.34 % more).

Star was not even the highest bidder in the two marquee categories - Indian television and digital. The highest bid for the Indian television category was Sony's INR 11,050 crore, compared to Star's INR 6,196.95 crore. Facebook's bid of INR 3900 crore for digital rights in India was 170% higher than Star's INR 1443 crore, which was the lowest in the category.

Star and Sony, heavyweights in the television segment, were not even contenders in the digital category. There, the faceoff was between Facebook, Reliance Jio and Airtel, with all three making bids over INR 3000 crore.

According to Shankar, Star's global bid was just right, not too high and not too low. "Even if it was slightly less we would not have got the rights. That should tell you this is the right figure. When one person or one company bids very highly you can ask that question. But in every category it has been so competitive. There are three digital rights that went have gone for more than 3000 crores. Digital did not even exist 10 years ago. In television it was very aggressively tendered too, and equally for rest of the world. This should tell you that cricket continues to be very strong, healthy and very attractive in this country.

"Finally, whoever puts in that money, they put in that money because they believe in the fans of the sport. The universe of cricket fans, it tells you, continues to very healthy, continues to grow. What was paid in 2008, that was 2008. India and cricket and IPL - all three have changed dramatically in the last 10 years. It is a reflection of that."

Old September 4, 2017, 08:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

6 years 2.2 Billion. 366 Million per year. Or for basically 2 months of preparation and 2 months of Cricket. Very very impressive.

It doesn't bode well in haggling tactics for few chump change from the Associates (from ICC).
Old September 4, 2017, 08:04 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz

tl;dr, IPL, the money making machine, continues to make money.
Old September 4, 2017, 09:45 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
6 years 2.2 Billion. 366 Million per year. Or for basically 2 months of preparation and 2 months of Cricket. Very very impressive.

It doesn't bode well in haggling tactics for few chump change from the Associates (from ICC).
5 years not six 2018-22 so basically 501 million
Old September 4, 2017, 09:58 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

funny thing was, other than in Africa, Star wasn't the biggest bidder in any other region. But, it was the only one to put in a global bid, and with the power of Murdoch, Star, Sky - there was only going to be one winner.

Amount in crores(Indian Rupees)

Old September 4, 2017, 10:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif

" All I do I win, win, win..."
Old September 4, 2017, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Take that ICC, BCCI will earn money one way or the other
Old September 4, 2017, 10:36 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
Take that ICC, BCCI will earn money one way or the other
True that. Money makes the world go around.

"Fresh cash"
Old September 4, 2017, 05:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Means more money for IPL players,that means more retirements,or skipping series.
Old September 4, 2017, 08:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Please excuse my ignorance but how do they make this money back? I understand they make some of it by playing ads during the match. But how else?
Old September 4, 2017, 09:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
Means more money for IPL players,that means more retirements,or skipping series.
Old September 4, 2017, 10:33 PM

Favorite Player: Mash

This is really impressive, only NFL and EPL are ahead of IPL in costs per game.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...ia-rights-sale

as impressive as IPL's number is NFL is almost 3 times more cost per game than IPL. thats just wow..how do NFL generate this much money? I thought it had only american audience
Old September 4, 2017, 10:51 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
Please excuse my ignorance but how do they make this money back? I understand they make some of it by playing ads during the match. But how else?
I have heard Austin pays for the rest as a reward for televising this legendary tournament.
Old September 4, 2017, 11:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
this is a very good question.

From various news it seems in a year IPL tv ads get ~1000 crore which means for 5 years... it's 5000 crore. Star bids ~6000 crore for for tv rights...

ad rates are just gonna have to go higher... during and leading to and after ipl game viewing... along with whatever rights they sell outside...

I don't think apart from those there aren't any other avenues of making money for tv.
Old September 5, 2017, 12:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
.how do NFL generate this much money? I thought it had only american audience
1 american audience in montetary value = 1K indian audience in India. America is a very high income country
Old September 5, 2017, 12:36 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I have heard Austin pays for the rest as a reward for televising this legendary tournament.
Khekz! But he's not around to troll for the next 3 months.
Old September 5, 2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
1 american audience in montetary value = 1K indian audience in India. America is a very high income country
still in comparison with NBA and MLB, NFL numbers are extraordinary, didn't know american version of rugby is such a hit
Old September 5, 2017, 01:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
still in comparison with NBA and MLB, NFL numbers are extraordinary, didn't know american version of rugby is such a hit
yeah it's big. Even at the next level (college), other sports do not even come close to College football (american).

5 million dollars is the ad rate for 30 seconds for final game of football. I think superbowl (final) is the most watched tv event in USA every year. Goes above 100 million ( these are all ppl with MONEY , not rickshawalas)
Old September 5, 2017, 11:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
this is a very good question.

From various news it seems in a year IPL tv ads get ~1000 crore which means for 5 years... it's 5000 crore. Star bids ~6000 crore for for tv rights...

ad rates are just gonna have to go higher... during and leading to and after ipl game viewing... along with whatever rights they sell outside...

I don't think apart from those there aren't any other avenues of making money for tv.
Ad is for cable tv. HD premium for DTH (currently 30 rs, I guess). They also have an App called Hotstar, its convenient for people like me who are constantly on the move (50 rs per month). Also IPL is a closed loop league, every footage can be sold for a cost to the media(News, Magazine etc).

One thing I know sure about STAR is that they have a sound business plan.
Old September 5, 2017, 11:19 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
This is really impressive, only NFL and EPL are ahead of IPL in costs per game.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...ia-rights-sale

as impressive as IPL's number is NFL is almost 3 times more cost per game than IPL. thats just wow..how do NFL generate this much money? I thought it had only american audience
I was shocked when I saw that graph. But it's actually showing the broadcast rights deals based on "cost per game". So the reason why MLB and NBA is much lower is because:

Each NBA team plays 82 games (30 teams x 82 = 2460 games + Playoffs) and each MLB team plays 162 games (30 teams x 162 = 4860 games + Playoffs). Just to put in perspective, the ENTIRE IPL tournament is 60 games total.

If you look at just the broadcast deals, MLB and NBA are still higher than IPL and possibly EPL, but will still behind NFL, which is a sports juggernaut.

I'm not taking anything away from IPL, the numbers are incredible for what is essentially a 2 month tournament. I think this shows that IPL is very much the cricket future and I expect it to become a proper league just like the NFL/MLB/NBA over the coming decades, with international cricket relegated to the "offseason".

Last edited by Yankees; September 5, 2017 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: added numbers
Old September 5, 2017, 10:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by senman
Ad is for cable tv. HD premium for DTH (currently 30 rs, I guess). They also have an App called Hotstar, its convenient for people like me who are constantly on the move (50 rs per month). Also IPL is a closed loop league, every footage can be sold for a cost to the media(News, Magazine etc).

One thing I know sure about STAR is that they have a sound business plan.
Hi thanks for your post.

So you have to pay for access to STAR tv ?

If that is the case then as long as they come even with ad revenue, they are profiting from increased subscription. Usually subscription based channels do not get much of ads because the idea is you are already paying and on top of that viewership is limited.

But yes if not directly, they are definitely profiting indirectly otherwise you wouldn't have so much of bidding.

think of Netflix model, they spend so much money on original content - they don't really count if they are getting their money back from each shows.... they simply want that subscription quarter over quarter to go up even if that means paying sometimes ridiculous amount of money for some popular shows/comedian.
Old September 5, 2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
I was shocked when I saw that graph. But it's actually showing the broadcast rights deals based on "cost per game". So the reason why MLB and NBA is much lower is because:

Each NBA team plays 82 games (30 teams x 82 = 2460 games + Playoffs) and each MLB team plays 162 games (30 teams x 162 = 4860 games + Playoffs). Just to put in perspective, the ENTIRE IPL tournament is 60 games total.

If you look at just the broadcast deals, MLB and NBA are still higher than IPL and possibly EPL, but will still behind NFL, which is a sports juggernaut.

I'm not taking anything away from IPL, the numbers are incredible for what is essentially a 2 month tournament. I think this shows that IPL is very much the cricket future and I expect it to become a proper league just like the NFL/MLB/NBA over the coming decades, with international cricket relegated to the "offseason".
162 games in a season? thats insane..hows that even possible?? thats one game per 2.5 days for each team
Old September 5, 2017, 11:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
162 games in a season? thats insane..hows that even possible?? thats one game per 2.5 days for each team
Yeap. Basically it's a 6 month season + playoffs. When a team visits another team, they usually play a series (3-5 games) instead of just a one-off game. Those games are played everyday. And the teams travel on their off days, either back home or to the another team's city. Pitchers (bowlers) play every 5 days to minimize injuries. Batsmen usually can play every day, just like cricket, but their's plenty of backup players to give them rests throughout the season. If a game gets washed out due to rain, they will typically play a double header (two games in one day) the next time the teams meet.

It's just insane.
Old September 5, 2017, 11:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Yeap. Basically it's a 6 month season + playoffs. When a team visits another team, they usually play a series (3-5 games) instead of just a one-off game. Those games are played everyday. And the teams travel on their off days, either back home or to the another team's city. Pitchers (bowlers) play every 5 days to minimize injuries. Batsmen usually can play every day, just like cricket, but their's plenty of backup players to give them rests throughout the season. If a game gets washed out due to rain, they will typically play a double header (two games in one day) the next time the teams meet.

It's just insane.
Extra innings games are some of the most exciting for me. I always like to see a pitcher's duel rather than a home run derby.
Old September 6, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:

This is what I have been predicting for years. Had it been run properly (it will be in future), it would already have expanded to 3-4 months tournament. Indian team need not play their first XI anywhere else than in World Cups.

The future of bi-laterals looks bleak. India could send their second string team abroad. Indians also need not waste their sleep and watch it when they can anyway watch IPL at home. By 2028, cricket will have four popular tournaments in terms of viewership - ODI WC, T20 WC, The Olympics and IPL.