facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 21, 2018, 01:10 AM
Street Cricketer

Default The most important international art exhibition

This is a very interesting article about the Venice Biennale and the Icelandic exhibit of a mosque. The police shut down the 'facility' on security grounds but the presence of the mosque raises very important questions about the lack of a mosque in Venice, the metaphor of erecting a mosque inside an unused Catholic church (the reverse of Cordoba, Spain) and the general suspicion of Islam in mainland Europe?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/ar...&nlid=62610792

Old June 21, 2018, 02:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Welcome to the forum Jasper.

It says right at the beginning that the creator had not obtained proper permits. I think the Venetian authorities made the right decision. Also, this happened in 2015. So we have the benefit of hindsight. Had the mosque installation remained, who knows what could have happened? Islamist extremism is rampant all over the world. They removed it, and life went on. I would say that's good. They have other mosques in Venice( I see one on Google map, and I am sure there are many unofficial ones because of the high rate of migrants from middle east), it's not like there is a decree that forbids them.