facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old September 25, 2017, 05:54 PM
aklemalp's Avatar
aklemalp aklemalp is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 5, 2009
Location: Guyana,South America
Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif
Posts: 17,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Nope, in Manhattan. Are there lots of Lankans in SI?
Staten Island has the highest concentration of Sri Lankans outside of SL.

They have little SL. The cuisine is really good.
__________________
"Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love." - Rumi
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old September 25, 2017, 08:49 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz
Posts: 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Staten Island has the highest concentration of Sri Lankans outside of SL.

They have little SL. The cuisine is really good.
News to me. Lankans just like living on islands it seems.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old September 25, 2017, 08:51 PM
aklemalp's Avatar
aklemalp aklemalp is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 5, 2009
Location: Guyana,South America
Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif
Posts: 17,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
News to me. Lankans just like living on islands it seems.
Seems so.

I'm currently sitting next to one on the college shuttle bus heading home lol
__________________
"Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love." - Rumi
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old September 27, 2017, 08:54 PM
icricket's Avatar
icricket icricket is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 26, 2015
Favorite Player: BD Players, Starc, Waqar
Posts: 856

All of us are educating people about Bangladesh one person at a time. It's a never ending process.
-----------
Nowadays, I usually tell people that I'm from Bangladesh. If they want to know the geographic location, I ask them to google it. In a professional situation though, I tell them that it's in SE Asia.
__________________
It always seems impossible until it's done
"Oh Allah! Forgive us, Have Mercy on us, Grant us Safety, Guide us, and Provide us with Sustenance." - Allahumma Ameen
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old September 28, 2017, 04:21 AM
adamnsu adamnsu is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: December 12, 2005
Location: Surrey
Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim
Posts: 8,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by icricket
All of us are educating people about Bangladesh one person at a time. It's a never ending process.
-----------
Nowadays, I usually tell people that I'm from Bangladesh. If they want to know the geographic location, I ask them to google it. In a professional situation though, I tell them that it's in SE Asia.
Well said and I agree we should tackle one person at a time. Usually people in UK know where Bangladesh is more or less due to the national team playing. But in the rest of Europe I dont think they have much of an idea.

I have to deal with American clients who are quite well educated but have limited knowledge about Bangladesh and I enjoy telling them more about Bangladesh.

I have even managed to convince some Israelis we are a great nation who thought we were a big bunch of terrorists.

But in the past Bangladesh was associated alot with floods, poverty, child labour and garments. It is our responsibility to let people know there is more to our country.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old September 28, 2017, 09:31 AM
One World One World is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: May 18, 2005
Location: New England
Favorite Player: Mominul Haque
Posts: 18,968

From 2000-2010, I had to make extra stride to make people recognize where and what is BD about. Since 2013 it was not alike.

Now-a-days most people when I answer the question "where are you from" people recognize instantly and I can sense the pride in their tone when they acclaim that "I know where Bangladesh is" right after my obvious geographic directive response of "beside India, large coast along Bay of Bengal". If people seem more curious I would mention, "just check 'made in' in around Wal Mart clothing section".

This may be because later part of my stay I am mostly around East Coast and people are more knowledgeable in this area when comes to diversity. I think people in central and south still mostly will continue act dubious and their pride probably lies in not knowing .
__________________
Humility is a strength, show it.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old September 29, 2017, 06:07 PM
_Rafi_'s Avatar
_Rafi_ _Rafi_ is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 17, 2007
Location: UK
Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn
Posts: 4,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
When I first came out of bangladesh I really used to feel sorry and low when someone could not understand where bangladesh is. Once I came across with a chinese student in my university who asked me during our introduction about my origin. I told about bangladesh but he could not understand. I then told him about India and then showed him about the position of bangladesh with respect to india and after that I even googled him the map and told him about different features of our country. He was surprised to know this country exists.

Then I met with another chinese guy who also didn`t know about bangladesh but for some reason that day I asked him back that maybe you are weak in your geography.. don`t you know about banglades(with a surprise)? I also didn`t give him much attention. The next day he came to me and showed me the map in his phone and told that he learned about bangladesh and also showed me the flag and told about the longest sea beach.. I also then told him about all the other relevant details of bangladesh. We had a nice talk and he seemed to give interest to visit bangladesh.

I thought the later person is different than the previous ones so he had an interest besides my different approach. But i took the same approach next time I faced the question from another person about where is bangladesh and the result was amazingly similar. I don`t know whether it was a personal ego or what that made them to act differently.
Does Chinese people know Bangladesh by differnt name? Because one of my mates could not recognize BD as I told him I am from there. I told him we are his neighbor and I am surprised he doesn't know about Bangladesh at all. Then on next day he came up to me and showed Bangladesh on map and said oh thats Bangladesh. They call it something different. But, I think he was making this up as he was embarrassed for not knowing at all.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old September 29, 2017, 06:13 PM
_Rafi_'s Avatar
_Rafi_ _Rafi_ is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 17, 2007
Location: UK
Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn
Posts: 4,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by icricket
All of us are educating people about Bangladesh one person at a time. It's a never ending process.
-----------
Nowadays, I usually tell people that I'm from Bangladesh. If they want to know the geographic location, I ask them to google it. In a professional situation though, I tell them that it's in SE Asia.
Why would you say that? Bangladesh is a South Asian country.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old September 29, 2017, 11:53 PM
adamnsu adamnsu is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: December 12, 2005
Location: Surrey
Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim
Posts: 8,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rafi_
Does Chinese people know Bangladesh by differnt name? Because one of my mates could not recognize BD as I told him I am from there. I told him we are his neighbor and I am surprised he doesn't know about Bangladesh at all. Then on next day he came up to me and showed Bangladesh on map and said oh thats Bangladesh. They call it something different. But, I think he was making this up as he was embarrassed for not knowing at all.
I don't think China is really a neighbor. In context of neighbouring countries, some Indians think Nepal is another state of their country as do a lot of Americans think Caribbean countries also belong to them
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old September 30, 2017, 11:31 AM
Yankees Yankees is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz
Posts: 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
I don't think China is really a neighbor. In context of neighbouring countries, some Indians think Nepal is another state of their country as do a lot of Americans think Caribbean countries also belong to them
No they don't
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old September 30, 2017, 11:36 AM
bujhee kom's Avatar
bujhee kom bujhee kom is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: June 27, 2007
Location: Dhaka Mental Hospital
Favorite Player: Mo Chowdhury MoC
Posts: 23,630

People here and Europe always think I am Afrikan, I guess due to my very dark skin. Some people even asked if I was Somalian or Senegali...I got tired of this now I just look back at them with a blank stare and pretend I don't understand the fools!

One winter, around 2009 recession (drepression!) when I lost mey job...I stopped cutting my hair, beard, sideburn, Julpi and let a lot of my salt/pepper white hair grow long...I was walking on the Williamsburg bridge wearing an old black coat, pants and hat with a white long sleeve shirt...Some a-hole on the bridge come upto my face and call me a dirty jew and go the F back to Etheopia! That was the first time ever in my life, I almost got arrested and lost 2 of my front teeth...During Hatathati on the bridge I threatened to throw the racist bast'd over the railing in the sewage canal below. I told the Police I will my Rabi and whole Congregation Sabath unless this guy goes to detention.
I once had a tupi over my head while coming out of the Tribeca Dergah al-Farah Sufi mosque, somebody asks where I got my beautiful yamaca from. Schmuck!
__________________
God bless Dianne Feinstein, Kamala Harris & Mitch Landrieu!
twitter.com/bujheekom
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old September 30, 2017, 04:04 PM
adamnsu adamnsu is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: December 12, 2005
Location: Surrey
Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim
Posts: 8,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
No they don't
My Carribean colleagues have complained to me.

Obviously you haven't don't a consensus
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old September 30, 2017, 05:07 PM
jabbar's Avatar
jabbar jabbar is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: January 31, 2005
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone
Posts: 1,186

If I may make an observation.

It is a strongly held belief that people form the US are woefully uninformed about the rest of the world. I have visited the US numerous times (my wife is from there), and I am consistently amused and aghast at how ignorant Americans are about other countries. It is as though the rest of the world doesn't matter to them, and might explain some of the ill treatment successive US governments have inflicted on other countries in the past.

So I wouldn't worry too much. As they say: "you can't argue with an ignorant man".
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old September 30, 2017, 05:24 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz
Posts: 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
My Carribean colleagues have complained to me.

Obviously you haven't don't a consensus
Your Caribbean colleagues speak for +300mm people, do they?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old September 30, 2017, 05:39 PM
adamnsu adamnsu is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: December 12, 2005
Location: Surrey
Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim
Posts: 8,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Your Caribbean colleagues speak for +300mm people, do they?
They are in much better position than you are.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old September 30, 2017, 06:16 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz
Posts: 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
They are in much better position than you are.
ofcourse they are. whatever you say. But that still doesn't explain how they can speak on behalf of +300mm people.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old September 30, 2017, 07:07 PM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 6,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar
If I may make an observation.

It is a strongly held belief that people form the US are woefully uninformed about the rest of the world. I have visited the US numerous times (my wife is from there), and I am consistently amused and aghast at how ignorant Americans are about other countries. It is as though the rest of the world doesn't matter to them, and might explain some of the ill treatment successive US governments have inflicted on other countries in the past.

So I wouldn't worry too much. As they say: "you can't argue with an ignorant man".
Once again it depends where in US you are. It’s a vast country with 330m people. And to be quite honest, Americans don’t really care about what happens outside. Coz US is the only thing that matters.

Go Murica!! Greatest land in the world. It is the land of the free and home of the brave!
__________________
Bangladesh
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old September 30, 2017, 08:22 PM
DinRaat. DinRaat. is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 30, 2017
Location: Sydney Australia
Favorite Player: AirBus A340
Posts: 3,259

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Once again it depends where in US you are. It’s a vast country with 330m people. And to be quite honest, Americans don’t really care about what happens outside. Coz US is the only thing that matters.

Go Murica!! Greatest land in the world. It is the land of the free and home of the brave!
Is it true Americans learn geography by going to war.
__________________
"No replacement,for displacement"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old September 30, 2017, 11:23 PM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 6,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
Is it true Americans learn geography by going to war.
No by providing and exporting science, technology, entertainment, culture, and everything to the rest of the world.

Speaking of war, Europe would have disintegrated itself with their world wars if America didn’t intervene and bailed them out twice. The two world wars pales in comparison to whatever war US started.

America is not a perfect country. She has her problems. But there’s no denying the fact that no other country (or empire) had a global domination and influence in every facets of social, cultural, technological aspects than America.
__________________
Bangladesh
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old October 1, 2017, 01:05 AM
Habib's Avatar
Habib Habib is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: August 30, 2007
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Favorite Player: A few
Posts: 9,915

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rafi_
Does Chinese people know Bangladesh by differnt name? Because one of my mates could not recognize BD as I told him I am from there. I told him we are his neighbor and I am surprised he doesn't know about Bangladesh at all. Then on next day he came up to me and showed Bangladesh on map and said oh thats Bangladesh. They call it something different. But, I think he was making this up as he was embarrassed for not knowing at all.
You could be onto something here. My Chinese course instructor once said they called BD as Munjala guaren. Ugly name I know. They also have this sort of names for some other countries.
__________________
Don't be a blind fan, be rational
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old October 1, 2017, 01:15 AM
DinRaat. DinRaat. is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 30, 2017
Location: Sydney Australia
Favorite Player: AirBus A340
Posts: 3,259

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
No by providing and exporting science, technology, entertainment, culture, and everything to the rest of the world.

Speaking of war, Europe would have disintegrated itself with their world wars if America didn’t intervene and bailed them out twice. The two world wars pales in comparison to whatever war US started.

America is not a perfect country. She has her problems. But there’s no denying the fact that no other country (or empire) had a global domination and influence in every facets of social, cultural, technological aspects than America.
Yes, but who can forget the countless countries they have invaded for their dire search of black gold(oil). Been a long time since you guys haven't got involved in a full scale war, my money is bet on North Korea. And how many wars have you guys won exactly.

And the British empire, controlled most of the world, and had a far greater influence geographically, socially and culturally.
__________________
"No replacement,for displacement"
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old October 1, 2017, 01:44 AM
adamnsu adamnsu is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: December 12, 2005
Location: Surrey
Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim
Posts: 8,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
ofcourse they are. whatever you say. But that still doesn't explain how they can speak on behalf of +300mm people.
This getting a bit immature. I didn't say all the 300+ Americans. Anyways I am sure you will again come with something baseless. Enjoy
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old October 1, 2017, 02:18 AM
Yankees Yankees is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz
Posts: 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
No by providing and exporting science, technology, entertainment, culture, and everything to the rest of the world.

Speaking of war, Europe would have disintegrated itself with their world wars if America didn’t intervene and bailed them out twice. The two world wars pales in comparison to whatever war US started.

America is not a perfect country. She has her problems. But there’s no denying the fact that no other country (or empire) had a global domination and influence in every facets of social, cultural, technological aspects than America.
haha I wasn't expecting such patriotism out of you tbh. USA! USA!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old October 1, 2017, 02:19 AM
Yankees Yankees is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz
Posts: 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
This getting a bit immature. I didn't say all the 300+ Americans. Anyways I am sure you will again come with something baseless. Enjoy
Right, you said "alot of Americans." Why? because your supposed carribean colleagues told you. Brilliant logic.

I'm not the one making baseless comments. I'm just calling you out on yours.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old October 1, 2017, 09:46 AM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 6,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
haha I wasn't expecting such patriotism out of you tbh. USA! USA!
I spent most of my adult conscious life in US. I won’t live anywhere else. This is home to me. It will be ungrateful of me if I didnt love the country that has given me and my family so many opportunities for a honest life.

As I always say, American dream is still very much alive.

But I am attached to BD too as that’s the country of my birth and childhood.
__________________
Bangladesh
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket