facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 8, 2018, 12:31 AM
Cricket Guru

We just need a win or couple of draws with Lanka to swap places with Windies in the ranking.

Old January 8, 2018, 12:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Purely in terms of strength I think BD should be above Windies, we will know better after the BD-SL series.
Old January 8, 2018, 12:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
Purely in terms of strength I think BD should be above Windies, we will know better after the BD-SL series.
WI have been better overseas (wins in ENG and PAK) but Bangladesh have been better at home and have a better overall win-loss record.

BD, PAK, SL, WI are all neck and neck right now even though the rankings might show a significant gap.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 8, 2018, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan

BD, PAK, SL, WI are all neck and neck right now even though the rankings might show a significant gap.
Agree, but try telling that to a Pak fan 😂
Old January 8, 2018, 12:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Windies belong in the same category as Zimbabwe. Right down at the bottom. Fleabottom
Old January 8, 2018, 12:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Agree, but try telling that to a Pak fan ������
I can see why though. Unlike us, Pakistan have a strong FC system and abundance of talents for their Test team. It's the mismanagement of PCB that's currently hurting them.

Sri Lanka have a strong school system to produce good cricketers, but not sure how strong their FC system is. Regardless, they're doing better grooming talents for their Test team.

Once Pak and SL are through their rebuilding phases, we will not find it easy to compete with them unless we too start making better investment in grooming our own talents.
Old January 8, 2018, 01:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Agree, but try telling that to a Pak fan
75% of subcontinent fans live in Trump's alternate universe. Applies to Bangladeshis, Afghans, and lest we forget, Indians as well. I distinctly remember IndYeah arguing about Umesh's pace being lower as the reason for his increased accuracy about a year back. Umesh was actually bowling a tad quicker than he was at any time before based on available cricinfo hawkeye. Or the other way around...I forget which one exactly. Bottom line is I cited data off cricinfo, To which he responded "I know what I saw"...ie somehow his eye is equipped to calculate actual kph with greater precision than cricinfo's hawkeye app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
I can see why though. Unlike us, Pakistan have a strong FC system and abundance of talents for their Test team. It's the mismanagement of PCB that's currently hurting them.
Would be news to most PAK fans that they have a strong FC system. Misbah and Younis were the only thing keeping them significantly above us for most of the past decade. Azhar, Asad, and Sarfraz are decent batters, but not any better than Tamim, Mushy, or Shakib. And I'd also take Mominul ahead of Babar.

Quote:
Sri Lanka have a strong school system to produce good cricketers, but not sure how strong their FC system is. Regardless, they're doing better grooming talents for their Test team.

Once Pak and SL are through their rebuilding phases, we will not find it easy to compete with them unless we too start making better investment in grooming our own talents.
PAK have been rebuilding for nearly a decade now. Amir and Asif were banned in 2010 and in all that time PAK have only managed to discover Hasan Ali, Wahab Riaz, and a various assortment of Rummans, and Imrans, and Zeeshans and other mediocre quicks. On the batting front, they have been even less fortunate. Their brightest talent Babar has a Test average less than 30 despite getting plenty of chances, home and away.

PAK, SL, BD are all in the same boat. They all have near-sighted boards and issues with cronyism, mismanagement, and misplaced priorities. With the playing field level its going to come down to one thing - pure talent. PAK's mediocre pace resources are still a level better than BD and SL, so they will continue to win the odd Test overseas, but their shoddy batting will mean they will not be significantly better than BD anytime soon.

SL have basically been rebuilding since 2015 and once Herath retires will be setback once more. Their batting looks decent, but their bowling is their weak point unless Dushmantha Chameera and Sandakan step up. Sandakan in particular has all the raw tools to be a devastating spinner. But still I like BD's chances to pass these two teams and possibly by year's end.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 8, 2018, 01:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

^^You forgot Fakhar Zaman. One of my friend was asking me after Bangladesh defeated NZ, Rifat, can you guys give us Tamim Iqbal? a couple of days later, his prayer was answered in the form of Fakhar Zaman(The Pakistani Tamim) destroyed Indian attack in champions trophy final and carrying his good form to NZ.

Under Sarfaraz leadership, I see good times ahead for pakistan. although there are some quite obvious holes that need to be filled(like Shoaib Malik and Hafeez pretty close to retirement) and Test Batting took a big dip after retirement of Misbah and Younis Khan. Hasan Ali is probably their MVP and most impact player to date that kinda keeps the team together, without Hasan Ali, I don't see Pakistan competing against top teams. make no mistake, Hasan Ali can also bat a bit. Wahab Riaz is like the Pakistani Shahadat Hossain, he has only like one or two notable performances of the whole year otherwise, he is not much to write about.

With Shadab Khan(promising young leggie), Hasan Ali and Mohammad Amir, I could still see them compete and beat big teams once in a while, maybe just a notch above Bangladesh and Sri Lanka at the moment, though not by much. Inzamam's nephew, Imam-ul-Haque also was very impressive in his debut series, wonder why he has been left out of the current NZ tour. PSL(Pakistani Super League) has been a great success and it helped Pakistan find talent like Fakhar Zaman and Hasan Ali. With PSL continuing, It can only help take Pakistan Cricket forward.

Sri Lanka, I expect to mature given that they identify some current crop of players and groom them. Niroshan D., Kusal Mendis, Sandakan, Thisara Perera, Angelo Matthews can be more than handy on their day. Sri Lanka needs a couple of years to be truly competitive given more consistent selection policy and proper planning and support from their board.
Old January 8, 2018, 01:57 AM
Cricket Guru

We got Shakib-Tamim-Mushiq by accident, or by pure magic of Mcinnes. All three came from 2006 U/19 team. Hopes were high we would find similar talents from subsequent U/19 batches, but we only got likes of Mithun, Nasir, Sabbir, etc.

By luck we got Fizz and Miraz in last couple of years. Other than that, the talent pipeline for the Test cricket has not been exciting.
Old January 8, 2018, 06:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
We got Shakib-Tamim-Mushiq by accident, or by pure magic of Mcinnes. All three came from 2006 U/19 team. Hopes were high we would find similar talents from subsequent U/19 batches, but we only got likes of Mithun, Nasir, Sabbir, etc.

By luck we got Fizz and Miraz in last couple of years. Other than that, the talent pipeline for the Test cricket has not been exciting.
When the pipeline is corroded and rusty, how can you expect good products coming out?

As lucky as we are to have Shakib-tam-Mushy, we have lost a lot of talented players throughout the years. Guys we've never even heard of. The next Sachin probably got overlooked and discarded by some coach without an iota of cricket knowledge, who probably got the job because he's some director's bagina. And that director got his job because he's some guys dulabhai.

Our domestic structure is piss poor. And theres no incentive to fix it.
Old January 8, 2018, 09:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
The next Sachin probably got overlooked and discarded by some coach without an iota of cricket knowledge, who probably got the job because he's some director's bagina.
Tendulkar's talent became obvious when he scored that record breaking innings in a 3-day match for his school. We don't even have 2-day matches as part of our school or local club cricket. How can you expect any coach to find talents in a vacuum?!

Our domestic cricket currently, except for the two FC leagues, is totally limited over centric. Take coach Salahuddin for example - he coaches Comilla in BPL and Gazi Group in DPL. So, when he goes on talent hunt, obviously he is going to look for players with good limited over skills, not for someone who may do well in NCL.

Some of the BCB coaches still doing a phenomenal job. Take Miraz for example - he grew up in a staple of one-day cricket. To me it's amazing how coach Sohel turned him into a longer version spinner over one summer!
Old January 8, 2018, 12:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

You're right. Great players are mostly a product of random genetic combinations. Shakib-Tamim-Mushfiq were happy accidents. Thank God for that otherwise we'd have lost our Test status or at best been shoved in the bottom tier with ZIM, IRE, AFG.

Tamim and Mushy are similar talents in that they had the requisite skills as teenagers (itself a rarity) and then worked hard in the nets to improve their technique. If you recall Tamim was basically a slogger before 2008 and Mushy had a severe weakness against genuine pace targetting his stumps.

Shakib was different in that he always had a poor technique, but excellent hand eye coordination and mental strength. Also has a high cricketing intellect, offset substantially by Ashraful-esque impulse control issues.

Fizz has unusually supple wrists a la Murali and Miraz has really long fingers giving him an ability to turn the ball than any other finger spinner we have produced till date. Also has a high cricketing intellect.

You can add Mash to that list as he was ruined by injuries and operations.

From the younger generation I have high hopes for Mominul (Mushy like work ethnic, only 1 technical weakness of playing off spin) and Mosaddek (freakish ability to play spin, appetite for big runs). Musa seems like a personality who may one day be captain.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 9, 2018, 04:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Kagiso Rabada is now the #1 ranked bowler in tests; taking over from Anderson
Old February 5, 2018, 03:43 PM
Cricket Sage

As it stands now, BD and Windies are tied on 72 rating points; windies on 8th, BD on 9th. SL on 94 rating points on 6th

If somehow the current series between SL and BD ended in a draw: 0-0
BD will go past Windies and jump to 8th position with 74 rating points; while SL will lose a rating point and not move from their 6th position

If BD wins the series,1-0
BD will go past Windies and jump to 8th position with 78 rating points; while SL will lose 3 rating points and not move from their 6th position

If SL wins the series, 1-0
SL will only gain 1 rating point and remain on 6th position; while BD will lose 1 rating point and remain behind Windies on 9th position
Old February 5, 2018, 08:00 PM

Favorite Player: Mash

BD was number 9 in ODIs for a long time. The top 8 were way ahead than us in terms of rating points. Then sometimes in 2010 for couple of weeks we reached number 8 overtaking WI. didnt last at 8 for long but we all were overjoyed with this achievement at that time.

this coming up so close in the test raking feels the same way. and again this time there is WI. I remember we used to have 0 or 10 rating points.
Old February 7, 2018, 07:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Oh this is our rare chance to improve on Test rankings - how many years did I wait for this?
We need a Test series against WI at home for sure! Its long overdue
Old February 7, 2018, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

i think we WI are touring us this year

we will also tour ZImbabwe.
Old February 10, 2018, 06:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
As it stands now, BD and Windies are tied on 72 rating points; windies on 8th, BD on 9th. SL on 94 rating points on 6th

If somehow the current series between SL and BD ended in a draw: 0-0
BD will go past Windies and jump to 8th position with 74 rating points; while SL will lose a rating point and not move from their 6th position

If BD wins the series,1-0
BD will go past Windies and jump to 8th position with 78 rating points; while SL will lose 3 rating points and not move from their 6th position

If SL wins the series, 1-0
SL will only gain 1 rating point and remain on 6th position; while BD will lose 1 rating point and remain behind Windies on 9th position
So, this is the scenario...

Was a good Chance pass windies...
Old February 10, 2018, 07:10 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

WI deserves to be number 8 and over us. so justice served
Old February 10, 2018, 02:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
WI deserves to be number 8 and over us. so justice served
Yeah after that performance we are the rightful #9.

#OneTeam1Dream