facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque
Default How to improve BPL

We are going to play a lot of cricket including T20I's according to new FTP. We all watched BPL and saw basically much imbalance.

Imbalance in Foreign-Native player ratio, performance in bowling and batting, pitches in Sylhet and Dhaka leg, ignoring decentralization, inept umpiring, imbalance among the team strengths, debate on 5 or less foreign recruits in a match, weird commentators, poor broadcasting, gambling related homicides and arrests including detention in neighboring country etc.

I think we need to work on our strategy to make it more towards the improvement of local talents while keeping the spectators interested. BPL more or less blindly follows IPL model which is detrimental and may not useful for our development. A mix of Big Bash concept along with betterment of pitches, umpiring and overall management is essential for it becoming a successful business venture for the franchise and fans combined.

We need to work on to create a Win-Win for everyone and we do not want to go back to the dark days of match fixings or payment disputes.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

1. Implement DRS.

2. Better umpiring.

3. More matches in Sylhet
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif

Umpires
Reserved day for washout in playoffs
4 overseas players
each team should have a home ground
Less Windies players
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Better pitch (ie flatter pitch) and better umpiring should be must.

But I will argue against reducing the number of foreigners. Last year guys like Maruf and Mosaddek were dominating, this year they were out of their depth. To maintain high quality, we need those foreign players.

BCB should follow PCB's example here - have a regional league with local players to let the local talents to rise, before the start of franchise league. This way we get to nurture local players as well as to have a high quality franchise league.
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Cricket Sage

Loyalty among fan bases will fade when more foreign players are in the team composition (Not a fact, just my theory).
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Once the Global T20 starts again, we will not get many of those top class players. So, quality of the league may take a hit next year anyway. We should not make it worse by reverting to four foreigners.

Have more matches outside Dhaka, to draw the fans.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Once the Global T20 starts again, we will not get many of those top class players. So, quality of the league may take a hit next year anyway. We should not make it worse by reverting to four foreigners.

Have more matches outside Dhaka, to draw the fans.
Will next BPL coincide with any other tournament other than Global T20?
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Cricket Guru

^^ Generally no, we end a week before Big Bash, and PSL starts after Big Bash.

Only other conflict is PCB regional league.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
1. Implement DRS.

2. Better umpiring.

3. Less Matches in Dhaka. Distribute and create a leg for Khulna and Rajshahi/Rangpur.

This allows some who can't get to a match.
Also,

4. Victory parade with the trophy and players/coaches at their local city.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; Yesterday at 03:36 PM..
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

BPL is a money making tournament. It is not a player development tournament yet. So the focus should be to encourage crowds to fill the stadium. Great addition on Sylhet. The Stadium was full. Whereas, Dhaka stadium was not even half full when Dhaka didn't play. Now add another city.

This is how you put seeds in. The crop will come way in the future. Bulbul and Co. plus the cricket fans use to wait for ASIA cup or Ind-Pak exhibition games to see some foreign players. We use to emulate them. Did practice Abdul Kadir's weird action on the streets. Or Imagining as Kapil's/Wasim's swing or Waqar's in swinging toe crushing yorkers. Or De Silva's cut. Sunny's defense. Miadad's 6.

Kids would see and remember Gayle's madness for a long time. These leave deep inprint in the heart of a young fan. They love the game more. May be we get a Shakib 2.0 soon (with patience). Or Lion Heart Mash 2.0.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Jacques Kallis

fire the TotaPakhis; aka Stutter Ali Khan & Lord Shamim..50% improvement right there..
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
Cricket Sage

OR....

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Better pitch (ie flatter pitch) and better umpiring should be must.

But I will argue against reducing the number of foreigners. Last year guys like Maruf and Mosaddek were dominating, this year they were out of their depth. To maintain high quality, we need those foreign players.

BCB should follow PCB's example here - have a regional league with local players to let the local talents to rise, before the start of franchise league. This way we get to nurture local players as well as to have a high quality franchise league.

This is a very good suggestion. I would love to see that.
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ BCB is actually already considering the idea. But they want to have a window where our national players can participate. I don't like that idea as we are already blocking out month and half from international calendar for BPL.

Other open window we have is April-May, the IPL window, when we generally don't get international matches. But using that window will mean this league will take place five months before BPL, which is not ideal. Don't think Dhaka clubs will like that idea either as that's the time DPL take place.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Cricket Legend

There is a reason why leagues like IPL or BBL is more fun to watch during your free time than BPL or PSL. They are more vibrant and lively and full of colors. Player's skills/Umpires aside, they really need to invest on some good camera. From a television viewers perspective, the color looks like its from the 70's show, auto TURNOFF for me. Compare that to IPL or BBL, it looks lively and colorful. Also, drs needs to be applied. And while you are at it, get some good looking cheerleaders in it aswell. It's suppose to be a fun tourney. Small things like those makes the tournament more fun to watch.
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz

I don't see the point of the national players participating. They get match time through intl games, and they are pretty much guaranteed a spot in BPL. I want to see the guys who are on the cusp or up and coming. Basically a T20 version of DPL.
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

If we get cheerleaders, we are more likely to get attacked by terrorists during a match.
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
I don't see the point of the national players participating. They get match time through intl games, and they are pretty much guaranteed a spot in BPL. I want to see the guys who are on the cusp or up and coming. Basically a T20 version of DPL.
Not that national players need this league, but w/o them the regional league will be less competitive. PCB blocks out a month for their regional T20 league and force their contracted players to participate, besides doing the same for PSL. I agree with you - that's going too far for the sake of T20 cricket. Let the national players stay busy with international fixture.
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Some great ideas. I'm still completely against the fact that there are 5 foreigners per team - this makes life so difficult for young fringe players with little experience.

Home and away should also be a priority. This would help build a fanbase for each team and encourage team cohesion by retaining players from previous seasons. IPL have done this quite well.

Just hope to see at least some of these suggestions being implemented as our board often seems interested only in money.
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

If the intention is to improve BPL for local players:

- Reduce foreign quota playing in the game
- Make pitches high scoring and even during both innings
- Have better umpiring and bring in reviews
- Bring in more quality players

For entertainment value
- Like in baseball have a personality bowl one ball to a batsman
- Bring in quality people to present shows and make it less cheesy. And no Shamim!
- Make the kits more nice looking
- Have small filler segments like the Shaz and Was show, where presenters talk about cricket technique
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
3. Less Matches in Dhaka. Distribute and create a leg for Khulna and Rajshahi/Rangpur.

Also,

Rangpur is working on that...soon we might see it happens...
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
1. Implement DRS.

2. Better umpiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye

Also,

5. Make sure players (foreign and local) get their full payments on time.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Eradicate Match fixing and corruption. The Sun says that it has done a sting and alleged that BPL can still be fixed!
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Virat Kohli

I disagree with having super flat pitches. About half those games, including the playoffs, should have super flat pitches; the other half should be a bit helpful to bowlers. Variety is important. I want to see high scores as well as low scores. Some of the best matches in BPL have been low-score thrillers.

More stadiums should be used. Ideally, I would like to see Aziz stadium being used instead of Chittagong because of the crowd it can pull in. I would also like to see Fatullah being used. Great venue for T20.

I would like to see 8 teams which would be a first in BPL history, and likely it might happen next season.