facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 22, 2017, 12:50 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Soumya, Kayes, Shafiul and Taskin these 4 need to be dropped. Try new people.

Old December 22, 2017, 01:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Here is the ODI squad from the SA series: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...d/1122997.html

17 members squad - two that will be auto chopped are Shafiul and Momin. That still does not give us any room for a new player in a 15 member squad. Soumya and Taskin perhaps can be dropped based on current form.

IMO, Nasir should be still dropped, his NCL innings against a toothless Barisal attack should have no bearing on ODI squad selection.

That leaves us spots for three new players - Anam, Mosaddek, Rony.

Kayes prolly will survive since he was one of he better batsmen in SA series. So, Shanto will have to wait little longer.
Old December 22, 2017, 01:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
^ 30 people are the usual suspects. 15 is where things would get interesting.
I would still like to see a major shakeup...in this 30 man squad...

No Usual suspects, Kaiser Soze business here
Old December 22, 2017, 06:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Virat Kohli

I'm actually looking forward to this series. Ideally, I would've prefered if one of the major sides were involved i.e. India.

I would go with this 15 player squad now: Tamim, Liton, Mushfiqur, Mahmudullah, Shakib, Shabbir, Mosaddek, Nasir, Mashrafe, Rubel, Fizz...Hider, Nurul, Anamul and Mominul.

I think Anamul and Mominul deserve to return to the squad. Nurul because he did well on his tour to New Zealand, and his keeping skills are second to none. With Fizz bowling, you need someone like Nurul behind the stumps. Time for Hider to make his mark into the national scene. It's not like we have many other fast bowlers around.
Old December 22, 2017, 07:01 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ Momin as a batsman has shown improvement in last DPL and BPL. But, as a fielder, he is just too poor to be considered for LOIs.

As per Rinat, he does not even practice fielding, which needs to change asap.
Old December 22, 2017, 07:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Mominul has always had potential as a limited overs bat but his consistency has always lacked.

Surely it’d be better to give anamul another go or try liton for longer or shanto his first opportunity.
Old December 23, 2017, 12:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

For me, the benchmark for selection is almost always performance from domestic and/or A team/Academy team/ U-19 team. if those aren't there, unless you are someone exceptional like Shakib (he actually performed at the U-19 level anyways), you got no business in national team. It was a matter of time until Soumya Sarkar was found out anyways. He does have a double ton at the U-19 level but other than that, what credentials does he really have barring eye catching strokeplay and quantum level timing of the ball?

Those centuries he made in his rookie season, He was inspired by Tamim. Makes your job a lot easier when your partner is in good form.

Soumya should be persisted with at T20 and maybe Test. I don't see any place for him in ODI. Anamul Haque was part of the national anyways until injury and the Soumya did brilliant to take his spot but now, time for Anamul to reclaim it back.
Old December 23, 2017, 12:13 AM
Cricket Guru

I believe soumya could have a bright future, but he does need to go back to domestics and work on things, main one is consistency, his sort of talent performing consistently is something beautiful like vvs laxman but without the consistency he’s just another ashraful.

Pile on the runs soumya and bring what you have learned to do so in international cricket and you will be a long term success known in every cricketing household.
Old December 23, 2017, 12:41 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSports
I'm actually looking forward to this series. Ideally, I would've prefered if one of the major sides were involved i.e. India.

I would go with this 15 player squad now: Tamim, Liton, Mushfiqur, Mahmudullah, Shakib, Shabbir, Mosaddek, Nasir, Mashrafe, Rubel, Fizz...Hider, Nurul, Anamul and Mominul.

I think Anamul and Mominul deserve to return to the squad. Nurul because he did well on his tour to New Zealand, and his keeping skills are second to none. With Fizz bowling, you need someone like Nurul behind the stumps. Time for Hider to make his mark into the national scene. It's not like we have many other fast bowlers around.
Good squad. Although I am not sure Mominul is ready to be in the ODI side. Still I think he was dropped in 2014 just when he was getting into his groove.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 23, 2017, 03:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Try as many new people as you can. This generation has reached its peak and is on the decline. Break up the team. Rebuild.
Old December 23, 2017, 08:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen

IMO, Nasir should be still dropped, his NCL innings against a toothless Barisal attack should have no bearing on ODI squad selection.
Then what should be the benchmark for selection? If Anamul can be selected based on this tournament then why not Nasir? Who knows Anamul also might had his piece of luck against these toothless bowlers and fielders. But I also don't want anyone to get continuously selected based on his only class but no performance like soumya
Old December 23, 2017, 10:44 AM
Cricket Guru

32-man Bangladesh Preliminary squad: Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Liton Kumar Das, Anamul Haque, Nazmul Islam Shanto, Mominul Haque, Sadman Islam, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah, Nasir Hossain, Musaddek Hossain, Sabbir Rahman, Mohammad Mithun, Soumya Sarkar, Mashrafe Mortaza, Mustafizur Rahman, Taskin Ahmed, Shafiul Islam, Abu Hider Rony, Abu Jayed Rahi, Subashis Roy, Rubel Hossain, Abul Hasan, Kamrul Islam Rabbi, Taijul Islam, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Nazmul Islam Apu, Sunzamul Islam, Ariful Haque, Mahedi Hasan and Saifuddin
Old December 23, 2017, 11:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
Then what should be the benchmark for selection? If Anamul can be selected based on this tournament then why not Nasir? Who knows Anamul also might had his piece of luck against these toothless bowlers and fielders. But I also don't want anyone to get continuously selected based on his only class but no performance like soumya
The benchmark definitely should not be just based on stat. Otherwise, any of us, sitting behind our computer, can be a selector. Beside just the stats, selectors also need to consider in which manner those stats are gained.

In case of Anam, we already saw him in good form during BPL. This NCL double century only affirm he is in a good form. Also, he scored his double century in a rapid rate, helped his team to win the match.

In case of Nasir, we saw how badly he has been exposed in international cricket just couple of months ago. We saw him struggle in BPL as well. There is no indication that he has overcome his technical shortcomings and can make a successful return to the international stage so soon. Also, there is no indication he can pick up his scoring rate based on demand of the situation - something that has been an issue throughout his career.
Old December 23, 2017, 11:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Hope all this will backfire on Lanka and Hathuru.

Sri Lanka's ODI cricket set for complete overhaul
Quote:
Among the major changes that will be introduced is a full-time captain taking the team through to the World Cup. Dinesh Chandimal, who was axed from the ODI series against India, has been drafted into the pool and he is likely to be handed the reins for an extended period.

Taking a cue from India, Sri Lanka seem to be settling in for more wrist spinners and both leg-spinner - Jeffrey Vandersay and chinaman bowler Lakshan Sandakan - are likely to be drafted into the final squad, having been already named in the pool. The inclusion of Shehan Madushanka, a 22-year-old quick, who has played less than a handful of domestic matches, could be Sri Lanka's Mustafizur Rahman moment.

Sri Lanka's 23 member pool: Thisara Perera, Upul Tharanga, Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis, Dinesh Chandimal, Angelo Mathews, Kusal Perera, Asela Gunaratne, Niroshan Dickwella, Sadeera Samarawickrama, Suranga Lakmal, Nuwan Pradeep, Dasun Shanaka, Lahiru Gamage, Vishwa Fernando, Dushmantha Chameera, Shehan Madushanka, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dananjaya, Jeffrey Vandersay, Amila Aponso, Lakshan Sadakan and Chaturanga de Silva.
Old December 23, 2017, 11:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
32-man Bangladesh Preliminary squad: Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Liton Kumar Das, Anamul Haque, Nazmul Islam Shanto, Mominul Haque, Sadman Islam, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah, Nasir Hossain, Musaddek Hossain, Sabbir Rahman, Mohammad Mithun, Soumya Sarkar, Mashrafe Mortaza, Mustafizur Rahman, Taskin Ahmed, Shafiul Islam, Abu Hider Rony, Abu Jayed Rahi, Subashis Roy, Rubel Hossain, Abul Hasan, Kamrul Islam Rabbi, Taijul Islam, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Nazmul Islam Apu, Sunzamul Islam, Ariful Haque, Mahedi Hasan and Saifuddin
I love the inclusion of Mahedi Hasan and Nazmul Islam "The Spitting Cobra" Apu, Ariful "Finisher" Haque and Mohammad Mithun. good inclusions.

Abul Hasan is a genuine batsmen. It's now or never for him to become Bangladesh's Steven Smith. I am actually quite serious about this. This guy can bat better than many of our top order bats. I wish we took him to South Africa. on such flat track, he probably could have given us another special innings.
Old December 23, 2017, 06:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Poor Soumya is so lost, he is stil planning to ask Hathuru for advise

Chacha is taking charge of the team under his new title Team Director

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2JdhPoodgU
Old December 23, 2017, 08:24 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat

Abul Hasan is a genuine batsmen. It's now or never for him to become Bangladesh's Steven Smith. I am actually quite serious about this. This guy can bat better than many of our top order bats. I wish we took him to South Africa. on such flat track, he probably could have given us another special innings.
Ektu beshi hoye gelo.. hojom korte parlamna
Old December 23, 2017, 08:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Interesting that ebadat isn’t named, thought he was fairly high on the national selection radar given his A team selections, maybe they are planning on giving him a lot of A team exposure before getting to the national team or maybe they already given up on him.
Old December 23, 2017, 08:32 PM
Cricket Guru

I really hope shanto gets picked in the squad, might not be time for an xi spot but I think he deserves a squad spot sometime soon, it should do him good.
Old December 24, 2017, 12:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Interesting that ebadat isn’t named, thought he was fairly high on the national selection radar given his A team selections, maybe they are planning on giving him a lot of A team exposure before getting to the national team or maybe they already given up on him.
He was not even part of last A-team one-day side. For the Test team, it's reasonable to expect him to gain some more experience at FC/A-team level first.
Old December 24, 2017, 01:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Ektu beshi hoye gelo.. hojom korte parlamna
This guy has good batting technique. and he churns out the runs. most of his innings even when he was primarily selected for bowling in the national team, he was not out. he still averages 82 in Tests.
Old December 24, 2017, 03:35 PM
Cricket Guru

India tour good education for Sri Lanka: Pothas
Quote:
"There are certainly a lot of things we need to work on but everyone will leave this tour in a better place and have a better understanding of their own game. Once you've gone through a series like this, there are only two ways to go. Either you are going to fall off the bus or you are going to become a better player. The characters will be tested and this series for us will answer who the tough characters are."

After the second ODI, Kusal Perera had admitted the Sri Lanka batsmen were struggling against India's wrist spinners. When they travel to Bangladesh, they are certain of facing more trial by spin but Pothas felt the batsmen showed they can compete against quality spinners.

"When someone bowls with the same action and can get the ball to go both ways, it makes it tough for anybody," he pointed out. "They have to be of quality. You can't just pick anyone who is a wrist spinner. In the last game we took both spinners for more than 50. Obviously we were chasing 200 and plenty so they had opportunity to pick wickets. But there was time, when we got positive against them and we were competitive."
Old December 24, 2017, 04:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Observations from Sri Lanka's national spin-bowling coach Piyal Wijetunge on two wrist spinners Hathuru planning to use against us:

Quote:
Lakshan Sandakan

26-year old left-arm wristspinner; Test record: Five Tests, 15 wickets at 31.93; First class: 203 wickets at 24.14

Having been among Sri Lanka's most successful domestic spinners for several seasons, Sandakan made vital contributions on debut in Sri Lanka's backs-to-the-wall victory over Australia at Pallekele. Showcasing a big-turning stock ball and a deceptive googly, he claimed career-best figures of 4 for 58, and helped keep Australia's first-innings lead in the double figures - Sri Lanka having been earlier skittled for 117.

He would claim three further wickets in the second innings, but in the four Tests since, Sandakan has averaged 46.5, and has often proved expensive. He has had at least two catches dropped off his bowling, however, and remains one of the few spinners capable of gleaning significant turn and bounce from unhelpful surfaces.

Sandakan's control is his primary shortcoming, Wijetunge said. "Lakshan is very good, and he turns it a lot. But his maturity is not there. He needs a little time to mature, because a spinner anyway needs that time to develop - only at around 30 years of age do they generally get there. He's quite young. I think he'll enter his best years only in about a year or year-and-a-half."

Jeffrey Vandersay

27-year old legspinner; Test record: Uncapped; First class: 168 wickets at 24.87

Following his impressive turn at the 2016 World T20, Vandersay might have debuted in that Australia series in place of Sandakan, had he not picked up an injury in the weeks approaching the tour. Though the selectors have largely considered him for limited-overs cricket, Vandersay has occasionally impressed in the longer formats, most notably when he took 5 for 73 and 3 for 94 against Pakistan in a tour match in Colombo.

Vandersay was also only selected for one of the two four-day matches England Lions played in Sri Lanka earlier this year, and has largely been omitted from Sri Lanka's limited-overs teams as well. Wijetunge, however, believed he is a strong contender across formats.

"Even now, I think he can be brought into the Sri Lanka team. He's ready. He's a wristspinner, so he can turn the ball on any surface, and he's also got a few variations. Mentally, he's very tough, and he's also quite mature for his age, when you compare with other bowlers. His control is good. Anyway a wrist spinner takes three or four overs to settle, and Jeffrey has that issue. But once he gets into his rhythm, his consistency is very good."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...ntline-spinner
Against both, I guess the key will be to attack from beginning, not to let them settle.
Old December 24, 2017, 04:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

I heard about that Vandersay when they tour the Caribbean with their A team..

I think he did well against us...
Old December 24, 2017, 05:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

So Haturi knows our weakness. We can't play spinners. That is why Sandakan and Vandersay have been included. Hopefully we tackle them well.