facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 24, 2018, 05:35 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib
Default Bangladesh - A Sri Lanka in the making?

For quite a while, I wanted to discuss this topic at BC and see what us fans think. I also believe this might have passed everyone's mind too.

Simply asked, when our seniors retire, namely Mash - Tamim - Shakib - Mushy - Riyad, do we have the FLEXIBLE, APPROPRIATE and VALUABLE replacement for each of them? Replacements with the same caliber, that will bring us the same success these 5 men have brought us?

A bulk of our achievements have come due to the performance and grit of our seniors. There is no sane head that could deny that. Across most of the tournaments and ICC competitions, its the seniors that have literally carried our team. I dont think any of our juniors have been that consistent or have been ground-breaking in for many years now (Fizz is a special case). For instance, the way Shakib breaks records for fun, do we have another Shakib in the pipeline that can and will surely break records for fun too? I highly doubt.

I am not asking to throw me names right away but lets think about it for a while. Are we as a cricketing nation in the right track to find their replacement? Do we have the right infrastructure in place to unearth the next Mash-Tamim-Shakib-Mushy-Riyad? Even if we dont unearth them, do we have plans to develop players like them?

South Africa has succeeded in replacing their legends. Australia does it all the time. England are on the right track after 2015. India has done it too.

Can we? Discuss.

Old January 24, 2018, 05:38 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

I think if we can do what SL did with their legends than we can think about it. If not we were not like SL to begin with
Old January 24, 2018, 05:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

This is what my Sri Lankan friend Whatsapp me the other day.

‘But this Srilanka are becoming the old Bangladesh. This Bangladesh is on the way to becoming the old Srilanka. Not there yet, but on the right direction’

Lol.
Old January 24, 2018, 06:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
I think if we can do what SL did with their legends than we can think about it. If not we were not like SL to begin with
I think the word 'legend' here is important. SL's cricketing legends are also considered legends in Intl. Cricket. Sanga, Dilshan, Jayawardene, Jayasuriya etc. the list is endless. Our legends, are only our legends. Would you really think that Intl. Cricket in general will take Mushy as a legend? Or even Riyad? The only guy that will probably end up there is, obviously, Shakib with Tamim having an outside chance. Mash is a godly cricketing captain for us, sure. But captains better than him are out there with more achievements. Heck even someone like a Sarfaraz wins a CT, who now has absolutely no clue what to do with his team in New Zealand.

So yes, our legends didn't emulate what SL's did. And that's even more dangerous. Shows that if we lose these guys in years to come, who will come close to carrying this team in the future and maintaining the level we have achieved today?
Old January 24, 2018, 06:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

If you look at age group cricket, Bangladesh over the years 2010-17 has had a good talent pool in U-19. Lanka though are considered a weaker side in U-19 level.

Bangladesh on the other hand has good talent pool and also a league like BPL. Lanka don't have that either.

I think we have good talent in Miraz Fizz Mosaddek. Few quality guys knocking on the door.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 24, 2018, 06:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

BD needs it's young guns to man up and perform else this becoming SL of 90s or winning wc will continue to be a distant dream, they have been living off their seniors for way too long now.
Old January 24, 2018, 06:07 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ziya

You can blame BCB for this. No proper A team, no replacements for players.
Once our seniors leave, we will be doomed and will go back to being below Zimbabwe
Old January 24, 2018, 06:09 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
BD needs it's young guns to man up and perform else this becoming SL of 90s or winning wc will continue to be a distant dream, they have been living off their seniors for way too long now.
We have been living off our seniors too and that will continue without a doubt. And that is the worrying part. Our seniors command respect but they havent achieved anything even close to what SL did.
Old January 24, 2018, 06:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Sri Lanka of the 90s had an amazing team.

Explosive Jaysuriya partnered with Kaluwita!
Excpetional sound batsman like Ara Vinda
A Strong captain like Ranagtunga
Bowlers like Vaas and Murali were special too.

Despite all their abilities they had one a few things in common which all strong teams have: Maturity, discipline, professionalism and the confidence to win.

Unfortunately we really lack in these traits just because our selectors and players do not create such an environment. If we only had a great coach like Whatmore (not saying bring him back) we might become a real power house.
Old January 24, 2018, 06:43 AM
Cricket Legend

We need to win something big. Unless we do that is hard to say we are old SL.

WC/CT/Asia Cup (minimum)..
Old January 24, 2018, 07:00 AM
Cricket Legend

People are missing the point of the thread, it's not saying we are old Sri Lanka, it's asking are going to become like the current Sri Lanka when our seniors retire, when the big three retire what do we do then, because they're the ones that always stand up and fight
Old January 24, 2018, 07:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
Sri Lanka of the 90s had an amazing team.

Explosive Jaysuriya partnered with Kaluwita!
Excpetional sound batsman like Ara Vinda
A Strong captain like Ranagtunga
Bowlers like Vaas and Murali were special too.

Despite all their abilities they had one a few things in common which all strong teams have: Maturity, discipline, professionalism and the confidence to win.

Unfortunately we really lack in these traits just because our selectors and players do not create such an environment. If we only had a great coach like Whatmore (not saying bring him back) we might become a real power house.
Whatmore was a good tactician, for him to be successful we need to also hire coaches like streak

Old January 24, 2018, 07:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
People are missing the point of the thread, it's not saying we are old Sri Lanka, it's asking are going to become like the current Sri Lanka when our seniors retire, when the big three retire what do we do then, because they're the ones that always stand up and fight
Not worried about the future. Lots of talent coming through.

Zakir/Shanto/Hossain Ali/Miraz/Hasan Mahmud..
All they need is more A team tours. They are very young.

In 3-5 years time, they will have enough experience IA.
Old January 24, 2018, 07:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Not worried about the future. Lots of talent coming through.

Zakir/Shanto/Hossain Ali/Miraz/Hasan Mahmud..
All they need is more A team tours. They are very young.

In 3-5 years time, they will have enough experience IA.
Only international potential I've seen is, Mehedi, Saifuddin, Shanto, hasan mahmud, maybe afif

Others aren't good enough

Old January 24, 2018, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
Only international potential I've seen is, Mehedi, Saifuddin, Shanto, hasan mahmud, maybe afif

Others aren't good enough
Yeah forgot about Afif.
We have at least 4/5 solid youngster coming through.

Zakir will make it big. Hossain Ali raw but has time.
Our future isn’t bad, it’s bright.

All about how BCB helps them to develop...
Old January 24, 2018, 07:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Towhid is talented and aside from others already mentioned there’s also liton and mosaddek and if we are lucky soumya will come good.

Bowling we have taskin, fizz, mehedi, Abu hider and others that have already been mentioned.
Old January 24, 2018, 07:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Good post. Lot to learn from Sri Lankan in this regard. Every generation after Tamim/Mushfiq have failed to cement a place in the side. Nasir/Sabbir/Mominul/Anamul are around 25-26. By now these guys should have become a permanent fixture in our sides. None of them are dependable.

Particularly the concern is batting. Even in this present team only number 1, 3, 4 are confirmed positions. Every other slot is open, not one player has proved they own that position.
Old January 24, 2018, 09:08 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

We can be SL, if

1. consistently beat lower ranked teams at home - TICK
2. consistently beat 1-6 ranked teams at home, when they come, if they come - TICK, half TICK, need more
3. consistently beat all teams away from home - UNTICK
Old January 24, 2018, 10:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Plus 2 speculation
Mash - Official age 34. Actual age 36
Mushfiq - Official age 30, Actual age 33
Tamim - Official age 28, Actual age 30
Shakib - Official age 30, Actual age 31
Riyad - Official age 31, Actual age 32/33

Mash a year left.

The rest has a good 5 years in them. Plus minus 2.

5 years time, we should get the Sabbirs, the Mosaddeks, the Litons, the Saifs ready. Bowling I am not worried. What I see in Hasan (U-19), Rony, Jayed, Taskin are promising. A little coaching here and there, trying to think the game beforehand should be fine.

Now finding a replacement of 1) "Shakib" 2) The Lion Heart of "Mash" would be critical for us
Old January 24, 2018, 11:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Lol finding Tamim's replacement....we're still looking for his partner
Old January 24, 2018, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Plus 2 speculation
Dont think people nowadays cheat with their age anymore. Surely they dont hide a good two years. Although they do adjust their date of birth to make it late december or early January. Not sure why would they do so. If I had to adjust my DoB I would hAve altered it to 29th February.
Old January 24, 2018, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

In a way, SL has always overachieved when you consider that they have the same difficulties all Desi countries do, and they are the smallest. I would kill to have the sort of "success then drop off" they are going through now.

The biggest concern is ofcourse:
-ODI captain after Mash (we have no candidates atm)
-Shakib and Tamim are the only concern as far talent goes. We will have to wait awhile to overcome the loss of these two. What's worse is that most likely they will retire at the same time. So that loss will be even more extreme.

As good as Mushy has been, he can be replaced. And don't even bring up Riyad, it's not fair to the other four.
Old January 24, 2018, 01:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
In a way, SL has always overachieved when you consider that they have the same difficulties all Desi countries do, and they are the smallest..
Very true, there was a brief period around 1997-1998/99 when SL used to beat us for fun with Jaysuriya feasting upon our trundlers.
Old January 24, 2018, 02:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Plus 2 speculation

Mash a year left.

The rest has a good 5 years in them. Plus minus 2.

5 years time, we should get the Sabbirs, the Mosaddeks, the Litons, the Saifs ready. Bowling I am not worried. What I see in Hasan (U-19), Rony, Jayed, Taskin are promising. A little coaching here and there, trying to think the game beforehand should be fine.

Now finding a replacement of 1) "Shakib" 2) The Lion Heart of "Mash" would be critical for us
Mushy's age has already been corrected as +2 by cricinfo. He debuted in 2005 as a 16 yo but is now 30. also Mushys age went from 25 to 28 on cricinfo couple years ago.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 24, 2018, 02:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rafi_
Dont think people nowadays cheat with their age anymore. Surely they dont hide a good two years. Although they do adjust their date of birth to make it late december or early January. Not sure why would they do so. If I had to adjust my DoB I would hAve altered it to 29th February.
Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Mushy's age has already been corrected as +2 by cricinfo. He debuted in 2005 as a 16 yo but is now 30. also Mushys age went from 25 to 28 on cricinfo couple years ago.
Which planet you guys are from? Neptune?

So after the so called correction, Mushi is 30 years 229 days (according to Cricinfo)
Shakib is 30 years 306 days.

Next time when Shakib speaks in the media notice how he addresses Mushfiq. There is a "Bhai" added EVERY TIME he takes the WKers name. I will rest it at that. This BD culture of reducing age is a funny one. It isn't considered as cheating. The justification is, having extra years to qualify for Govt. jobs (29 year of old)

Chinese on the other hand, coming to US/Canada increases their age so that they can get to retirement early. Smarter than us.