facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old August 5, 2004, 12:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Olympic news and views: Gold…..Silver….. Bronze……

I can’t wait to see my favorite events in Olympic including:

1. Wrestling
2. Weightlifting
3. Athletics
4. Football
5. boxing

Gat a question here does anyone know if BD participating in this competition, if they are what will be some of their motives- can it be disappearing from their camp or what else can it be? I was just wondering guys nothing personal.

Edited on, September 2, 2004, 2:06 AM GMT, by rassel.

Old August 5, 2004, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

My faves are:

Athletics (especially the high jumps and 400m, Football and
Volleyball.
Old August 5, 2004, 03:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

My favourite is Shooting..well actually no but thats the only competition where you can gurantee a Bangladeshi being in.....but I cannot figure out why they are sooo obsessed with that sport??? Guns...corruption....umm i dunnooo..
Old August 7, 2004, 10:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Iranian Hercules takes on all-comers

By Christian Oliver

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iranians joke there must be something magical in the water of Ardebil, the northern city that has given the Islamic republic its two best-loved sportsmen.

Soccer striker Ali Daei hails from the Azeri-speaking plateau town that is often inaccessible by road because of snow.

And at the Sydney Olympics, a 22-year old from Ardebil powdered his hands, sought inspiration from the heavens and humbled two weightlifting greats with an enormous lift.

Undaunted by watching two world records fall before he took the stage, super-heavyweight Hossein Rezazadeh took weightlifting gold with a fresh record of 472.5 kilograms (212.5 kg in the snatch and 260 kg in the clean and jerk).

"God helped me to win," said the 'Iranian Hercules' who invokes Imam Ali, one of the most revered figures of Shi'ite Islam, before hoisting the bar over his head.

Germany's Ronny Weller, beaten into silver medal position, said he had still not got to grips with the name of the man from Ardebil, the youngest super-heavyweight champion in Olympic history.

"These Iranians keep coming out of nowhere. It is like a Spielberg movie," Weller complained.

NATIONAL CELEBRITY

Iranian sports fans just can't get enough of Rezazadeh. They even watched on television as he married a compatriot while on pilgrimage to the Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

His stocky form gazes down on to Tehran highways from billboards advertising Behran motor oil, vying with Germany's Formula One champion Michael Schumacher and England football captain David Beckham who puff rival brands.

Gold at the world championships in 2002 and 2003 confirmed him as the world's strongest man and favourite in Athens.

Rezazadeh says he is confident of beating his arch-rival, Bulgarian-born Jaber al-Salem who now lifts for the Gulf state of Qatar.

He will also be keeping a close eye on Bulgaria's youthful Velichko Cholakov who won the European title in Kiev this year, also aged 22.

Earlier this month Rezazadeh exceeded the world record training in the Caspian Sea province of Gilan. He added two kg to his 2002 clean and jerk record, heaving 265 kg.

SWITCH ALLEGIANCE

Although youngsters are now turning to football and volleyball, traditional sports such as wrestling and weightlifting maintain a strong following in Iran.

Many cities boast a "zurkhaneh", a house of strength, where devotees chant classical poetry while they spin heavy weights in a trance-like state. Iran still idolises pure physical strength.

Iranian media reported Rezazadeh has been offered a multi-million dollar deal, including housing and luxury cars, to switch his allegiance to Turkey.

He is a fan of Turkish music and his mother tongue is related to Turkish rather than Persian. Rezazadeh, speaking in his thick Azeri drawl, states: "I am an Iranian and love my country and people."

That said, the patriot has insisted the government buy him a house in Tehran. President Mohammad Khatami saw to it that $71,000 was spent on lodging the national hero.

Old August 9, 2004, 02:16 PM
Cricket Legend

There are five BD athletes will participate in Athens. As daily star reporter said there are more official touring than athlete. I have no clue when this picture will change.

As I heard, nobody is expecting to qualify for the final. So my question is to the sore losers why even go there in the first place.

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by rassel]
Old August 9, 2004, 03:30 PM
First Class Cricketer

My guess is to probably make up the numbers, or represent the country or even to escaoe from the country...as you said no chance of being in the finals...so only option enjoy it while it lasts and never return back...
Old August 9, 2004, 05:20 PM
Cricket Legend

As a guy, I want to watch the women's events where the girls have the sexiest looking bodies, and NOT flat chests.

Let's see: Gymanstics, volleyball, tennis. Any other suggestions?
Old August 9, 2004, 08:11 PM
First Class Cricketer

hmmm how about weight lifting??...lol..just kidding...umm some nice soccer players....umm athletics..umm dunno wat else.
Old August 10, 2004, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab
As a guy, I want to watch the women's events where the girls have the sexiest looking bodies, and NOT flat chests.

Let's see: Gymanstics, volleyball, tennis. Any other suggestions?
I would suggest one more here: swimming. You will see what I am talking about.
Old August 10, 2004, 12:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
swimming. You will see what I am talking about.
This is the land of flat chests. Have you seen the swimmers lately? They look weird.
Old August 10, 2004, 12:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Actually not, but I know there has to be some hotty in this event. You gat to see it to believe it.

ps: Check that event where they dance in the water. I really don’t what they call cuz I am not a big swimming fan.
Old August 11, 2004, 09:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Uffff.. The Olympics is such a bore. It's nothing but a wankfest of overtly zealous and competitive freaks.

I don't understand why millions of people (incidently most of whom are intellectually under-developed coach zombies) around the world will glue themselves to the TV, 12 hours a day, to watch artificially enhanced individuals seeking personal glory and gratification. And then, when the drugs work, they'll put the freaks up on pedestal and shower them with accolade. Hurrah!

Exactly what good does the Olympics achieve? It promotes peace and understanding between nations? HAHAHAHA

ps: rassel, it's called synchronised swimming
Old August 11, 2004, 10:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Artificial enhanced how? I though these individuals worked their a$$ off for four long years just to compete in this events. Personal glory off course; moreover, they represent their respective countries. Thats what makes this competition so unique.

btw I ain’t gat much time to watch Olympic ; nevertheless, I will be watching as much as I could, but I wouldn’t say Olympic is a bore. Where do you come up is crap?

ps thanks for telling me of that dance name

[Edited on 12-8-2004 by rassel]
Old August 12, 2004, 02:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Iraq just shock Portugal by beating them 4- 2 in soccer Preliminary.

Old August 12, 2004, 02:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Iraq had a great team 20 years ago. Guess they kept to their traditions.

Hope BD can hang on to football too. There is too much emphasis on cricket. Should diversify the sports in BD.
Old August 12, 2004, 02:40 PM
Cricket Legend

When cricket wasn’t popular back then still BD sucked in football. We are simply not good enough to compete in the highest level such as world cup or Olympic or even Asia cup. That goes for rest of sub-continent as well.

Old August 12, 2004, 04:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Iraq upsets Portugal 4-2 in Olympic soccer

By SERGIO CARRASCO, Associated Press Writer

August 12, 2004

PATRAS, Greece (AP) -- In its first Olympic competition since its country was shattered by war, Iraq upset star-studded Portugal 4-2 on Thursday in a gritty, come-from-behind victory as about 200 chanting fans cheered and jumped wildly.

``This victory will be received with happiness by my people, who have suffered through much,'' said Iraqi coach Adnan Hamad, whose countrymen were already taking to the streets of back in Baghdad, lighting up the night sky with streaks of celebratory gunfire.

The stunning victory over a team that made it to final of the recent Euro 2004 tournament brought a rare moment of joy for residents plagued by violence, chaos and constant power outages during the hot summer.

Iraqis across the country watched the game on television in their homes and at cafes. Even people at a Baghdad barbershop took time out of their late night haircuts to celebrate the goals.

``It's very important for us to have won this first game,'' player Abdul Wahab said after the game. ``We hope to give more satisfaction to our people who need happiness.''

Things did not go well early for the Iraqis, who handed the first goal to Portugal in the 13th minute when defender Haidar Jabar accidentally kicked the ball into his own net as he tried to clear a pass by Cristiano Ronaldo. Three minutes later, however, striker Emad Mohammed tied the game after picking up a rebound from the goalkeeper, Moreira.

Iraq went ahead 2-1 in the 29th minute when Hawar Mulla Mohammed scored on a soft shot after dribbling past the goalkeeper, but Portugal tied it with a minute to go in the first half on a goal by Bosingwa.

Younis Mahmoud put Iraq ahead 3-2 in the 56th minute, and Salih Sadir scored during injury time to seal the victory.

The Iraq fans, mostly students who traveled to Pampeloponnisiako Stadium from various Greek cities, chanted and jumped in unison. Some waved Iraqi flags and signs in Arabic as unarmed police watched.

At the end of the match, the jubilant Iraqi players ran across the field holding their raised hands above their heads.

Portugal ended the match with 10 men after Boa Morte was ejected for rough play. As the Portuguese player left the field, he was showered with dozens of plastic bottles by Iraqi fans.

Iraq was a surprise addition to the Olympic tournament. The nation managed to cobble together a team amid ongoing conflict at home and efforts to rebuild an Olympic committee that was previously run by Saddam Hussein's late son, Odai, who allegedly ordered the torture of players who fell out of favor.

In May, Iraq clinched an Olympic soccer berth just three months after being reinstated by the International Olympic Committee. Two months later, the team's German coach, Bernd Stange, resigned, claiming authorities advised him to leave for his safety.

He was replaced by his assistant, Adnan Hamad, who coached Iraq's national soccer team to victory in the West Asian Championship in 2002 and played on the national team during the early 1980s.

In July, Iraq reached the quarterfinals of the Asian Cup that included a 2-1 win over regional soccer power Saudi Arabia.

Portugal, which had Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, Boa Morte and Hugo Viana on the lineup, is trying to make up for losing to upstart Greece in the final of Euro 2004, which it hosted.

Now it has to beat Group D rivals Costa Rica and Morocco, who tied 0-0 to reach the quarterfinal.

Updated on Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 5:06 pm EDT
Old August 13, 2004, 04:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

It's soooo stupid...ppl work really really hard killing themselves, altitude training, drugs for a dozen jumps, a dozen throws or a couple of races
Old August 13, 2004, 05:15 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
It's soooo stupid...ppl work really really hard killing themselves, altitude training, drugs for a dozen jumps, a dozen throws or a couple of races
There is a lot of money in athletics these days. Apart from endorsements, they get apperance money for grand prix meets. I think anyone who breaks a world record in the GP meet gets $50,000.
Old August 13, 2004, 07:15 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rassel
When cricket wasn’t popular back then still BD sucked in football. We are simply not good enough to compete in the highest level such as world cup or Olympic or even Asia cup. That goes for rest of sub-continent as well.

in 1956 olympics in melbourne, ind finished 4th. ind has won the football gold in asian games 4 times and in 1956, ind were the runner ups in the asia cup.
Old August 13, 2004, 11:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Amity, I am talking about past decade or so not ancient history. I know India were runner up once in Asia cup around 40 years go. That was good, but since then you haven’t achieve anything at all in a major competition.

I see you haven’t had enough of that 7-0 whipping by Japan. Anyway, don’t be so proud of your football team. Now days, they simply sucks like the rest of the sub-continent.

Side note: I see puny Maldives ranks better than us and India as well, so that tells how sorry sorry sorry we are in football.

:duh:
Old August 15, 2004, 03:09 PM
Cricket Legend

One more win for Iraq: 2-0 to Costa Rica

They are in the quarter final with this results