facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 5, 2004, 04:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default 3rd eye - the time machine

To percieve n-dimensions we need n - 1 number of eyes. For example, with 2 eyes we percieve 3 dimensions. And with one eye we percieve two dimensions, which is why with one eye closed, we cannot percieve depth, without moving your head (like birds). So it should follow that if we had three eyes, we should have been able to percieve 4 dimensions, which is tantamount to travelling through time.
Old August 9, 2004, 03:00 AM
ODI Cricketer

One eye gives us a two dimensional view. Two eyes give us a three dimensional view. Three eyes will not give us a peek into time in the sense of time travel. It will increase our field of vision from the present 165 degrees to say 240 degrees if the third eye is located appropriately. If we had a fourth eye as well located at the top of the head, it will enhance the range and field of our view even further and will give us a fish eye view. If we had many more eyes like a fly we will be able to watch all around us without ever being caught unawares.

All these eyes will make our visual sense extremely sharp and will enable us to sight things much better and a few fractions of a second earlier. We will be able to react to, say a Shoib Akhtar's bouncer or the slower delivery much quicker and will be in position to hook it for six or blast it for four with uncanny accuracy. It will give the impression that we were able to see into the future ( to see what delivery Shoaib was going to ball next). Thus, to some extent, it will enable us to guess the immediate future a few milliseconds in advance. So one can say that we will be able to see a few milliseconds into the future, not literally but figuratively, because our improved vision will enable us to second guess the immediate future more accurately.

As for the dimension of time, it is reputed to be visible to a very few such as Nostradamus. Ability to see into time may be due to a sense that is as yet unknown/undeveloped/dormant in most humans except in a few such as Nostradamus etc. If this sense gets discovered and developed in the human beings in future then this sense may enable us to see through time like Nostradamus. But this will confine us to a view through time. It will not enable as to travel through time.

Admittedly a mundane way of looking at (n-1 )eyes vis a vis n dimensions but I feel that the number of eyes are independent of the ability to see additional dimensions above the third dimension.

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by cricketfan]
Old August 9, 2004, 08:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Stop posting [].

[Edited on 8-9-2004 by chinaman]
Old August 9, 2004, 09:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

Topic of this thread is a hypothetical one and I gave my hypothetical hypothesis on the topic. Was my post worse than the spam that gets posted by a couple of "mamber" in this site. Personally I was feeling quite pleased with my post. I will wait for the response of the original poster before I decide whether to get disappointed at your remark or to take it in my strides.
Old August 9, 2004, 10:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Well, your guys posts in this thread is not spam per se. But it's [] nonetheless.

BTW, I am disgusted by these spam posters. The people need to get banned and all those threads need to be deleted. The joke guy, the SA-SL scoreboard updater guy, etc.

[Edited on 8-9-2004 by chinaman]
Old August 9, 2004, 11:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by cricketfan
Topic of this thread is a hypothetical one and I gave my hypothetical hypothesis on the topic. Was my post worse than the spam that gets posted by a couple of "mamber" in this site. Personally I was feeling quite pleased with my post. I will wait for the response of the original poster before I decide whether to get disappointed at your remark or to take it in my strides.
cricketfan, it was probably the hypothetical issues, which are being way too hypothetical to be amused, for banglacricket staff Arnab, that is bothering him (Arnab might clarify that). And not specifically your posts. I was just wondering whether it was intended (since from a staff) to let us know that we need to be more sparing about this kind of posting by either keeping them to ourselves or switching to some more suitable websites, or just an off-hand disapproval.
Old August 9, 2004, 11:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

As for the eye theory, you have taken it to a whole different paradigm. Seems like your main objective to increase the number of eyes is to widen the range, which I found quite inefficient. The fact that humans have two eyes has nothing to do with range. If that was the case, we would have our eyes located right over our ears, not very asthetic, but we wouldn't have to move our head. Now we didn't need that because it's easier for us to revolve our sight than it's for a horse. As for rabbit, in spite of its physical agility, the response time it needs to survive in the hostile environ that it lives in, rabbit needed a wider range.

Increasing the number of eyes incurs another issue. That is of coordination. Presumably the complexity would increas exponentially with the increasing number of eyes. The flys (and others) having a whole bunch of eyes doesn't complicate it, because they use their eyes only to detect some motion, and not to enhance the perception.

As for the second part of your reply, yeah, Nostradamus probably had a 'third eye':
Old August 9, 2004, 11:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

nihi
Based on your remark, I will take the remark of Arnab in my stride. The topic may be way too esoteric for most people on this site, but a secluded area of this site such as the forget cricket section should be as good a place as any to discuss such matters. As the moderator has not made any adverse remarks on this topic, so I think this topic is in the right place in this site.
By the way cowdung is a useful source of fuel in our part of the world and it is not considered an offensive word in the relevant vernacular languages.
Old August 9, 2004, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I was just wondering whether it was intended (since from a staff) to let us know that we need to be more sparing about this kind of posting by either

1. keeping them to ourselves or
2. switching to some more suitable websites, or

3. just an off-hand disapproval.
All three. You are a good mind reader. I like outrageous fictions, too. But not on the forget cricket section of BC.

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by Arnab]
Old August 9, 2004, 03:41 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by cricketfan
By the way cowdung is a useful source of fuel in our part of the world and it is not considered an offensive word in the relevant vernacular languages.
Let's not go that far. Moderators know well when cowdung is useful and when not.
Old August 9, 2004, 03:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab

All three. You are a good mind reader. I like outrageous fictions, too. But not on the forget cricket section of BC.

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by Arnab]
Sorry cricketfan!

And remember, if you want to be a moderator you have to be a ferti/fuel major, specializing on condungs lol:

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by nihi]

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by nihi]
Old August 9, 2004, 03:53 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I didn't know if this was supposed to joke or not. Then realized that it is not. :duh:

I guess, heres my 2cents
all the 3rd eye will do for you is that it will make you a freak of nature. Vision has nothing to do with your perception/manipulation of dimension. Flys and bees aren't travelling time. Good for sci-fi fantasy but not so good for science
Old August 9, 2004, 04:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by nasif
I didn't know if this was supposed to joke or not. Then realized that it is not. :duh:
it was supposed to be wherever it was taken to : joke or no joke

Quote:
I guess, heres my 2cents
all the 3rd eye will do for you is that it will make you a freak of nature.
Sounds xenophobic, doesn't it?

Quote:
Vision has nothing to do with your perception/manipulation of dimension.
Not completely true. Our two eyes are for 3D perception through depth of sight. one eye makes your view flat. Try it out: shut one of your eyes and ask a friend to hold a pencil vertically in front of you so that you can't see him/her. Then ask to slowly move it towards and away from you. Try to guess whether the pencil is coming or going. You will get the answer.

But that is all about it. Of course three eyes won't let you have 4D perception.

Quote:
Flys and bees aren't travelling time. Good for sci-fi fantasy but not so good for science
True, true. their eyes form a cellular sensor to detect motion. See whether you can use that as an organic-home-security system

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by nihi : Messed up qoutes]
Old August 9, 2004, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by nihi
Not completely true. Our two eyes are for 3D perception through depth of sight. one eye makes your view flat. Try it out: shut one of your eyes and ask a friend to hold a pencil vertically in front of you so that you can't see him/her. Then ask to slowly move it towards and away from you. Try to guess whether the pencil is coming or going. You will get the answer.
I know that. without 2 eyes its hard to decipher the depth. That doesn't mean if you have 1 eye you step in 2D world. Similarly without any eye you don't go to netherrealm

All 3 eyes will do for you I guess, is give you more precise vision; nothing more
Old August 9, 2004, 06:16 PM
Banned

I see all of you are having some fun at the cost of nihi. Without going into the appropriateness of this post, I just wanna say, nihi, I do understand the inherent concept of your subject post. Here's some food for thought on the same line:

Try to visualize a 4d object (you can do this on a piece of paper): start with a point, which has no dimension, has a coordinate only. Now put another point near it. Connect the two points with a straight line, you get your single dimensional object. A line has length, nothing else.

Now put another line(may be of the same size) next to it. Connect the ends with two more lines. Here's your 2-dim object, a rectangle or square.

Next draw a rectangle away from the first one. Connect the corners. You have the regular 3d object, a box. Taking you through these first 3 steps induces you to think towards the 4d.

Draw another box next to your box. Which points of these two boxes connect to create a 4D object? You have to let your imagination do some of the work here. This object can be displayed on a computer screen using a graphic drawing program. You can only see a portion of it at a time, however, the diagram can be rotated to have a concept of the object. Following example can help with this visualization:

Think of yourself as a stick figure on a piece of paper. Obviously, you are now a 2d object. Your neighbor, cricketfan, another stick figure, comes to see you. You can only see him as a line, and nothing more. So, you have a piece of paper with 2 stick figure, you and cricketfan. Now think of Arnab, in his true, 3D shape, takes a pencil and stabs right through the paper, in between you and cricketfan. This is a rupture in your 2D world. Let's say the pencil is stuck on this paper. Being a 2D creature, you can only see a slice of the pencil at a time. For you, this pencil is made of infinite number of slices. If Arnab moves the pencil up & down the hole, you can see different slices of the pencil at a time. If somehow, you are able to merge into the slice that you see, you will find yourself in a tube (the pencil) going infinite distance both above and below you. For 3D creatures like us, perceiving the 4th Dimension is kinda like that.
Old August 9, 2004, 07:17 PM
Administrator

billah:
I agree with what you say, but fail to see the relation of 3rd eye with 4th dimension.

No one is denying multi-dimension or multiverse, but I fail to see any relation with us having a 3rd eye and being able to leap into 4th dimension
Old August 9, 2004, 07:38 PM
Banned

You are right, nasif. My examples here relate to space only, not time, although, 4th D is considered as time in Astrophysics, I believe. I don't understand it myself.

The precept of 2 eye - 3D and 3 eye - 4D is more of a logic fallacy, it seems. Funny, you know, many religious myths talk about a 3rd eye perception. Perhaps they were not talking about an actual eye in the middle of our foreheads, rather a conceptual understanding of space that we cannot see with our 2 eyes. May be some people in the past were able to develop this sense so well that they acquired a better understanding of their surroundings? Who knows. It's interesting though.
Old August 10, 2004, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Oh my god.
Old August 10, 2004, 01:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

Arnab, getting a dose of your own medicine? :P:P:P
Old August 10, 2004, 02:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Sadly, no.

I try to say things within reason. This is b[] fantasy. Nicely-worded, inflated crap.

[Edited on 8-11-2004 by chinaman]
Old August 10, 2004, 02:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

so, a fly, with so many eyes, should must be able to go throw time back and forth. same should happen for spider, right it has nine eyes.

now, imagine this, a fly falls into a spider's web. once the fly feels like dying it will travel back to time to get rid of the web. and when the spider sees that the fly is disappearing, it will travel back to time when the fly is on the web.

result,

shdalgkdeaf'tio3o90
Old August 10, 2004, 02:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Seems like a geat science fiction plot to me. I suggest writing a movie script.
Old August 11, 2004, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

quoting dr Z: "Who said atlami was science?"
Old August 11, 2004, 01:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
quoting dr Z: "Who said atlami was science?"
Why we have to go so down everytime? How could you consider this even as atlami?
Old August 11, 2004, 08:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

Going back in time and changing something, so that the course of future events change will result into changed history or alternate history.It is a popular sub genre of science fiction and one of the more popular author of alternate history science fiction is Harry Turtledove.