facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 9, 2004, 08:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Going Backwards ?

Maybe as an outsider it is difficult for me to have the same feelings or optimism or desperation as the general member of BD community here.

Nonetheless, i do feel that BD cricket has taken many a steps backwards since it's inception.

When BD made it's debut in test cricket, i was overawed at their prowess. My impression was that a major cricketing nation is born, their second inning collapse being an exception.

I was impressed with Aminul Islam (Popular as "Bulbul" ?). Naimur Rehman and Habibul Bashar showed lot of promise. The team showed lot of substance. For 4 days, they were exemplary.

I had to wait really long for another exemplary performance by BD. That was the test when they lost agonisingly to Pakistan. The performance was exemplary nonetheless.

In between and beyond that, i have been observing a few of the players. And what i have to say is pretty disappointing.

The sole match-winner that i have seen in Bangladesh side till date is a certain gentleman by the name Alok Kapali. I had a rare chance to see him bat in SA world cup and i couldn't help saying "He is the guy". Unfortunately, for reasons beyond my understanding, he may have just played his last match. Interestingly, i didn't see enough flaws in his batting, though it was disappointing to see him let down his side so many times.

A few players who i believed, could've done outstandingly well for BD, are now gone.

Bulbul is history. I think BD should've perserved a little longer with him.

Alok Kapali is out.

Hannan Sarkar is another case. I have seen him play some quality innings against SL, Aussies and SA. It was quite intriguing that he failed against the mediocre attacks - Zimbabwe and Windies. More intriguing, he has been dropped.

But then i have seen many a voices on this forum call vociferously for their ouster, so i guess i am missing something. Or maybe, i was always looking at them from a different perspective than members out here. Maybe there are better talents than Hannan and Alok, and maybe there were better talents than Aminul when they were dropped.

Funny, cos i didn't see any. Not when Bulbul was dropped. Not when Hannan was out. Not when Kapali has been dropped. I hope that i am wrong. These players had their weaknesses and failings. But they needed support. Cos they had a class. And they had shown glimpses of that.

Mohd. Ashraful is the lone hope of so many members on this board for now. I sincerely hope he succeeds. Cos he is gonna have a huge burden on his shoulders.

Many a statistics will reveal that Bangladesh team has come a long way from it's inception. I for one beg to disagree. I think they have been taking steps backward.

And i don't think Mr. Whatmore has brought any progress. Sorry, and please don't take the strain of posting all of them statistics.

I base my views on what i see.

And i see a selection committee that doesn't know what to look into players, a coach who is unable to find out what's wrong, and a captain who is unable to lead by any example whatsoever.
Old August 9, 2004, 09:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

Hi.It's hard to corroborate or rebut your post since most of your observations are a bit vague. Nevertheless, I do agree with some of your ideas, namely that Bulbul should've been persisted with a bit longer and Hannan should not have been dropped.Alok's talent has never been dropped, but his present form is woeful and his current exclusion is actually well deserved.

But I really do not understand the your 'observation' of regression under Whatmore.Could you be a bit more specific?Nor is it very clear as to why you blame the selectors(i think Faruq is doing an excellent job), the captain (ya, his one day performances are lame, but I can't think of anyone better right now)or the players who have replaced the old crop (by your own argument, players who evince even a modicum of talent should be persisted with a bit more, and these youngsters definitely have talent.)

Comments from "outsiders" are definitely more than welcome, but do back them up with a little more analysis please.
Old August 9, 2004, 10:42 PM
Retired BC Admin

Nice observation from DJ Sahastra. Thanks a lot for sharing. I'll touch few points briefly.

Dropping by no means is the end of the world. It is similar to allow the batsmen some time away from the team to work on their weaknesses. Once dropped, they right away go to the High Performan Unit for refinement. HPU was set up relatively recently.

Ashraful was dropped. He was taken care of by the HPU manager R. McInnes. He is back in the team now.

Kapali is a very young man. 21 yrs old. Hannan is little older. We can't afford to loose them. At the same time we just can't play them when they are having problems without giving them the chance to rectify.

They will be back.

Whatmore did brought some progress. Our taienders are more stable than ever. Bowling department is way better than its composition. Fielding is a class act.

Failure of the upper order batsmen is something built-in for a new test nation who is yet to complete the rebuilding of its cricketing structure.

I believe cricket is heading in the right direction in Bangladesh. It would be unwise to expect magic from them right now. With the new generation at the horizon, consistent good fight is not far away.
Old August 10, 2004, 12:01 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

i was detouched from bd cricket when bulbul was dropped. but as long as i remember, other than the sole century on the debut match, he was lame for a long period of time, on both sides of the debut match innings. i could be wrong, but i don't think he really had too much he could offer.

i also missed the golder era of kapali. may be thats the reason i some times get surprised to see some forum member's pasion for kapali. but, i can garantee, dropping him at his point is the best thing that can happen to him. now, he has a chance to put himself togather and do justice to his talent. if we kept playing him like that, it would not only harm kapali, but also made our shaky middle order even worse. there are more than enough people on the selection panel who are willingly looking for a chance to put kapali back in the team. all kapali need to do is give them some excuse to do so.

for some reason, i'm not that much optimistic about hannan. i've a feeling that javed and nafis will do something so weird that we've to stop our never ending search for openers.

last but not least, if whatmore is not the right man for bd cricket, there is simply none.
Old August 10, 2004, 12:47 AM
Cricket Legend

you have to realize that fans are fickle and only want whoever is in form and playing well. Technique and promise are somewhat further down the priority list than they should be. Many online fans also don't have a chance to watch most of the players in live matches (especially given our matches don't yet get a lot of coverage). So when you actually see the players you might be in for a shock. eg I had heard so much about Faisal Hossain tearing it up - but then I saw him play and don't know what the hoopla was about. Nafees Iqbal is another player I have never watched - so don't know the first thing about him other than he has had a couple of very big scores. Not making any excuses for fan ignorance, but sometimes that's all we have to go on.
Old August 10, 2004, 11:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I don't know why people thinks we are going backwards??? I have been following cricket all my life sp BD cricket. Saw gangule play when he was 16. And from those days exp i know for sure there is a huge change. Those days we sat infront of the tv to see how many over can we survive and who can we stop making a 100. Now a days we sit infront of a pc to see wheather its our day and can we beat the other team. Those i noticed some time bd fans starts writing comments in the match foram like bd is as good as Aussi and then when we loose 4/5 wk they go to sleep but the truth is we are not there yet but we r moving forward. And dropping kapali i think was good for him as he will inshallah come back like ash and beat the hell out off every one

(Sorry for the typo if there is any)

[Edited on 10-8-2004 by akabir77]
Old August 10, 2004, 01:02 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default My opinion

When Bangladesh played that inaugural test match, it was a perfect ODI team for Bangladesh at the time.

Then before the Multan Test in Pakistan, we just struggled with our players - Aminul Islam and Akram Khan, who were our most dependable batsman until that test match against India, suddenly started to perform lower than we expected. We had almost the same players, at least in the batting order, and yet we did miserably in the last Asian Test Championship against Pakistan and Sri Lanka. It was those test matches that had our previous selectors to drop both Aminul and Akram from the team, without noticing the fact that there was only one year left for the world cup, and started putting in lots of younger players to replace the experienced ones. None of us (in this forum) could realize the simple fact strongly enough to even remotely suggest that we'd have a chance to lose to Canada and Kenya in the world cup, even after watching our then 'A' team consisting of mostly the young national players lose to Kenya in Kenya. I guess that was our downfall - there just wasn't anybody coming up strongly - in the administration to predict the future, or even foresee some of it.

And in between all these happenings, we kinda lost everything. There were hopes - watching Alok Kapali, who I think is rightly dropped - you see, if Bangladesh was winning and winning, then poor performance of just one player would not have mattered. But since Bangladesh is losing, losing and losing, so it is always very easy to realize our own mistakes, and some of them are dropping Alok, Hannan and the rest.

However, dropping Hannan Sarkar is a bit harsh, but I must admit that Hannan Sarkar IS one of my favorite players, so I may be biased. So considering your opinion, and also just watching the scores of Hannan Sarkar against South Africa, Australia and Sri Lanka all in away matches, I would say that it was a bit unfair to drop Hannan. But still, if you'd remember, Hannan Sarkar had faced Pedro Collins, his nightmare-bowler during the recent WI test series, a few years before, and even then, he was a suspect against left arm pace bowlers. So, after all his good matches against South Africa/Australia, Hannan Sarkar still did not correct his mistake, to be precise, he didn't get the time or the chance to correct or even to think about his particular technical error. YOu'd also remember, Hannan Sarkar was the first victim of an ODI hat-trick off Chaminda Vaas?

Now about Whatmore - The results alone, stand a good chance of proving that Whatmore is a good coach, at least better than Mohsin Kamal. While we have 2 ODI wins and 1 draw test under Whatmore, it was 0 win under Mohsin Kamal. On BIG-result-wise, Whatmore is still a few points behind Greenidge, since Greenidge helped us to win against a BIG team - Pakistan, and Whatmore has still not done that, if you consider Zimbabwe (consisting of Streak, Grant Flower, Carlisle) a weak-team.
Old August 10, 2004, 04:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Kapali is by no means gone. He will be back, rest assured.

Yes, Bulbul was dropped two years too early. Thats a mistake we've just gotta live with.

Other than that, I dont see the point of blaming the selectors or the coach. At the end of the day, it is the players who have to perform. And they seem to be unable to do so under pressure.

Until the day we learn to handle pressure, we will continue to struggle.
Old August 10, 2004, 05:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Harking back to Akram, Bulbul, Abedin is puzzling...

Apart from Bulbul's 145 [ very creditable ] and his innings with Ashraful in Colombo, I am not sure what any of them has actually done against test playing sides.

On the whole, I agree with the team selection except I would have voted for Sarkar, notwithstanding his cluelessness against left arm in-swing. Given the paucity of talent, I would include him.

Who would I leave out ? Possibly one of Nafis or Aftab - not because I have anything against them. One is fine, two is one too many. A mixture of new talent and experience is more preferable. Of the two, I would possibly keep Nafis on account of his recent scores.

Sadly, I concur, hopefully, temporarily, with Kapali being dropped.

Bangladesh probably has not made great progress since the inaugrul test. The bowling, however, is definitely better. The groung fielding too. The batting has improved slightly but then we have recently only played Zimbabwe and the West Indies.
Old August 10, 2004, 08:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Default A few clarifications

I didn't say that BD has declined under Whatmore. I said that BD hasn't made any progress yet. This seems quite contrary to what most members think on this board and that is fine.

I am also not suggesting that Whatmore has to go. It's not even an option. If not Whatmore, then who?

But to take the point of progress under whatmore, let me say this: Bangladesh as a team is not expected to forever collapse around 100 runs or let opposition score more than 300 runs. There is something called as a logical progression. Your infrastructure grows, the level of competition heats up, talents show up in larger number and that will eventually do reflect on the national team. This is regardless of who is the national coach. So, if Bangladesh is showing more fight today (relatively), does it ever strike that it is also an expected thing.

The role or importance of a coach is often in how much the difference shows. For eg, if the logical progress of the team is supposed to get it at point A, and the team is at point B, then the difference in A and B is what the progress or decline has been made under that coach.

A country with as many people playing cricket as BD will always grow in stature and performance. If it doesn't, it will be an indicator to something very wrong, very very wrong.

The question to be asked is, if point A was the expected progress of BD team with or wthout Whatmore, and point B is where BD team stands today, do you see point B as greater than point A on the success line?

You may disagree, but i don't see that.

That should also explain the few steps backward. If the logical progress of BD team should have taken it to point B and it is at point A today, then point A falls way short of point B. Matches won or lost is not even a criteria here.

On the other issue of dropping Kapali, Hannan and ( Bulbul in past), each of them are different and need to be taken in perspective.

Bulbul's failure to make it back to the national side is an enigma to me. I really don't follow the BD domestic cricket. But i have good impression of him and feel he could've been around somewhat more. Maybe some more chances before closing his chapter.

Kapali getting dropped was very much expected. He had been woefully out of runs. My sole diappointment is, he was one guy who looked a real match-winner. This is not from what his stats say, but from the way i have seen him play. He seemed to have more shots and lessers flaws than many BD players i have seen. A disappointing end nonetheless.

A point here is also that his getting out after settling in seemed intriguing. Especially when he seemed quite at ease and with no visible discomfort. If he is mentally scrwed, he owns the blame. If he lacked proper counselling from the team management , captain and coach, they are to be blamed, cos that's what they are for.

Finally, Dave Whatmore may have all the good technology, experience and techniques, but he has to really show the difference. ot the petty differences that are of interest to statisticians, but a difference on par with the fat-packet that he is recieving.

It's a professions and results are an integral part, whichever way you look at it.
Old August 10, 2004, 08:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Default We made progress

We made progress in fielding and bowling, and did not live up to the expectations in batting. Dropping Kapali was a good step and I hope he will recover like Ashraful. The Javed-Ashraful opening pair is going to be tested in England. I am not too optimistic about Nafees and Aftab. But one of them succeed, I would be happy. In every match we have had one out of our top 6 batsmen perform, and now we need to have 2 out of six perform. The performance of the lower order would help us draw some test matches just like the way we did in W'indies. But for ODIs they cannot provide the required run rate. So the Akram-Bulbul-Nannu ODI team delivered better than our current team. There is one factor we should consider: Nafees-Aftab's (or even Dhiman, Nadif) are better trained than their ancesters. I am hoping they will grow. The goal for ODIs should be steady 225+ score and for test 350+ per innings. At the end I want to believe that we are making progress.
Old August 10, 2004, 08:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Finally, Dave Whatmore may have all the good technology, experience and techniques, but he has to really show the difference. ot the petty differences that are of interest to statisticians, but a difference on par with the fat-packet that he is recieving.
I did some statistical work on pre- and post-Whatmore era, and there have been significant, NOT petty, statistical differences made during his reign. For example, over the course of 21 ODI matches, we have managed to narrow the run gap between us and our opponents from 80 runs to 50 runs.

Now whether that difference is "on par" with his salary is debatable.

So, instead of being all vague about this, why don't you state, in numbers, what you wanted the team to have accomplished by now, for them to be "on par" with Dave's salary? Did you want them to win a certain number of matches? Did you want them to score a certain number of runs on average? Did you want them to restrict the opposition under a certain lower bound?
Old August 10, 2004, 08:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default points for DJ

first off i respect DJ's right to have his opinion, but i must say i am a tad bit offended (no need to apoligize, you are forgiven).

i think his/her line of thinking is flawed.

first off, he says he doesn't think that BD has "regressed", but consistantly claims that BD has "traveled backward." aren't these two things one and the same?

secondly, he claims that statistics will not convince him that BD has improved because improvement should not be judged based on how BD is doing now relative to the past, but rather on how BD is doing now relative to what was expected now. this depends on the sanity of the expectants. it is not wise to expect a rookie to captain a team...so why expect BD to start winning test matches as soon as they get status (and they did get status prematurely). if winning test matches was so easy, perhaps I and 10 of my friends who have never played cricket, should go to australia and expect to beat ponting and co. in a test. that is just how ludicrous the argument is.

DJ also asks that statistics not be provided to refute his theory.

statistics should be the deciding factor since numbers are objective. if they werent then why keep score in a cricket match, the game should just be decided on who batted better rather than on who actually scored more runs. but numbers are humanity's only way of objectively and unambiguosly measuring performances between two cricket teams.

with this being said the stats show BD has improved in tests since whatmore's arrival.

in odi, BD had improved based on the Zim and WI tours. ODI improvement, if existant, is marginal negligible even.

but overall, as a cricket team, to say that BD hasn't improved since inception is not only against international cricket opinion, but laughable as well.

[Edited on 11-8-2004 by al Furqaan]

Old August 10, 2004, 09:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Looking at the topic objectively, one will certainly arrive at the conclusion that we haven't made much progress in the limited over version of the game. On ocassion, we have competed and fought hard but nothing notable to concretely suggest that we have turned a huge corner. But, in the longer version of the game ( tests ) the improvement is clearly noticable in the post-Whatmore era. I doubt if there is any room for argument with that statement.

Saying that, we still haven't learnt how to play five days worth of test matches. We still manage to botch one session in a given test match, a trend so suicidal that eventually seals our fate in that match irrespective of subsequent fightbacks. At the same time, we have dominated sessions, even days, in test matches only to lose out because of critical collapses at the most unfortunate times. We were on par with Pakistan in all the matches or even ahead some of the time. We battled Zimbabwe and West Indies on even terms as well. Those are signs of definite improvement. Before Whatmore arrived, we were losing tests within three days consistently. Sure we lost to England pretty bad at home. But that can happen to any team sometime. Playing BD in a test match is not a cakewalk for most of the teams anymore. That is a fact. To me, I would rather learn to play the longer version better than ODI's first. A good test team is usually a good one day team as well. Its taking a long time for us to learn the nuances and tricks of the limited over game. You can say that we haven't progressed that much in that version of the game. After all, we have played some ninety odd games and managed to come out on top only five times. Something is definitely wrong with that scenario.

So, have we taken a step backward? In tests, the answer is a definite NO. We have actually made huge strides. In ODI's , the answer is not as clear cut. I would say that we haven't made much progress or no progress.
Old August 10, 2004, 10:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Arnab

How about you telling me if Dave Whatmore has been able to accomplish in terms of team building, team performance and result?

How about "Has he been able to live up to the modest expctation of a BD fan when he joined the BD cricket?".

Please do go back and recall when Dave had joined and where you would've expected BD team to be today from that day, and let me know if you think it is:

a) To your satisfaction
b) Exceeded your expection
c) Hasn't lived up to your expectation.

We'll take it from there.
Old August 10, 2004, 11:17 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

DJ, so that fans had crazy expectation and dav could not meet it, its dav's fault?

*its not fans fault that they failed to measure the true quality of the team and the ability, and the time required to take it to world level?
*its not the player's fault that they could not learned very good what they were taught?
* its not player's fault that they keep making the same mistakes again and again?

but, its the coach's fault who is working his a$$ off trying to make a decent team out of a rumble? its also the selector's fault who can't find a tendulkar or lara or warne. wether these type of player is available or not, is irrelavent.

put your logic togather and stop putting

"uddor pindi budhor gharay"
Old August 11, 2004, 08:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
DJ, so that fans had crazy expectation and dav could not meet it, its dav's fault?

*its not fans fault that they failed to measure the true quality of the team and the ability, and the time required to take it to world level?
*its not the player's fault that they could not learned very good what they were taught?
* its not player's fault that they keep making the same mistakes again and again?

but, its the coach's fault who is working his a$$ off trying to make a decent team out of a rumble? its also the selector's fault who can't find a tendulkar or lara or warne. wether these type of player is available or not, is irrelavent.

put your logic togather and stop putting

"uddor pindi budhor gharay"
All i can say is Agent Smith Bhai... La Jabab
Old August 11, 2004, 09:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
How about you telling me if Dave Whatmore has been able to accomplish in terms of team building, team performance and result?

How about "Has he been able to live up to the modest expctation of a BD fan when he joined the BD cricket?".

Please do go back and recall when Dave had joined and where you would've expected BD team to be today from that day, and let me know if you think it is:

a) To your satisfaction
b) Exceeded your expection
c) Hasn't lived up to your expectation.

We'll take it from there.
Why would ONLY MY OPINION about what Dav has done with team building, team performance and result MATTER?

My answer to your question is (a). And feel free to start a poll on this board to gauge what other fans think.

Now answer my questions from my previous post.
Old August 11, 2004, 08:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Default To your question, Arnab

Arnab,

You have probably raked in the statistics to conclusively prove that Bangladesh team has progressed; they are losing less badly as compared to before (Pre-Whatmore).

But then, when i watch the game of cricket, statistics is hardly what is at the back of my head.

I hope millions of BD fans back home do keep track of the statistics and realize that BD team is actually progressing and doing satisfactorily.

Now, to answer you on what i would've expected BD to be under whatmore, here is what i could sum up. It's an attempt in vain, but i'll go with it.

1. Authoritative and conclusive wins against teams like Canada, Scotland, HK, UAE etc everytime there is a match.

2. Wins, like 3 wins in every 5 matches atleast against teams like Kenya and Zimbabwe, if not more.

3. Playing against major teams:

a) Score of 150+ everytime, or atleast 90% of the time.

b) Score of 200+ atleast 50% of the times

c) score of 225+ atleast 30% of the time, or roughly 1 in every 3 matches.

d) Score of 250+ atleast 20% of the time, or atleast once every 5 matches.

e) Atleast a couple of wins in every 10 matches or so against these teams.

f) Should be in contention of the game till the mid-way of the second innings (atleast 25th over of the second innings) atleast 75% of the time.

f) Should be in contention of the game till the last 15 overs of the second innings atleast 50% of the time.

g) Atleast a couple of batsman with their averages in 30s and atleast a couple of regular bowlers with their averages in if not early then atleast mid-30s.
Old August 11, 2004, 08:14 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

DJ Shastra your expectations are very reasonable and believe me most fans have raised their expectations to a similar level. However all this is rise in expectations since the World Cup disaster is mainly due to the hard work that Whatmore put in to raise the game of the players and restore sanity. If Whatmore can not lead Bangladesh to the next level, then no one can. Unless you have some one in mind?
Old August 11, 2004, 08:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Were those expectations unreasonable?

Pompous,

I am not even suggesting remotely that Whatmore should go. Cos if not Whatmore, then who else? I have none in mind.

But then, i don't see a reason to commend him for what i see of the progress either. I don't understand why he should be immune to criticism or why people should not expect certain results out of him. Isn't the higher expectation of BD fans the reason why he and not some local coach from BD, who would be gladly doing the same job for maybe 1/10th of what Mr. Whatmore is getting, is the coach of BD national team?

Someone talked about Whatmore "working his ***" for the team. Good choice of words indeed, cos he surely doesn't know what working the *** means. Maybe he should see an average man toiling for 40 takas a day to understand what "working the ***" means.

In corporate world, people are appointed and paid fat sums, not for working their *** off, but for achieving certain goals, certain objectives and certains results. If any of it is not met, they have to face the music.

When a team fails to live up to the expectations, the captain is criticised. The team management is criticized. The selection committee is criticized.

I don't understand why or how Mr. Whatmore should be immune to criticisms.
Old August 11, 2004, 09:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Hmmm....

3. Playing against major teams:

(NOT counting the two 25 over matches in Windies)

a) Score of 150+ everytime, or atleast 90% of the time.

Pre-Whatmore: 39 times in 62 matches, 62.90%

What DJ wishes: 90%. Comment: UNREALISTIC WISHING.

Post-Whatmore: 13 out of 19 matches, 68.42%. Comment: Some improvement.

b) Score of 200+ atleast 50% of the times:

Pre-Whatmore: 17 times out of 62 matches, 27.41%

What DJ wishes: 50%. Comment: UNREALISTIC WISHING

Post-Whatmore: 5 out of 19 matches, 26.31%. Comment: No improvement.

c) score of 225+ atleast 30% of the time, or roughly 1 in every 3 matches.

Pre-Whatmore: 7 out of 62 matches, 11.29%

What DJ wishes: 30%. Comment: UNREALISTIC WISHING

Post Whatmore: 3 out of 19 matches, 15.78%. Comment: Some improvement.

d) Score of 250+ atleast 20% of the time, or atleast once every 5 matches.

Pre-Whatmore: 4 times out of 62 matches, 6.4%

What DJ wishes: 20%. Comment: UNREALISTIC WISHING

Post-Whatmore: 0 out of 19 matches, 0%. Comment: No improvement. But too early to tell. Even one 250+ score would have touched the previous mark. And BD did score a 244 against Pak at Karachi.

e) Atleast a couple of wins in every 10 matches or so against these teams.

Pre-Whatmore: 1 win out of 62 matches. (against Pakistan, lucky win)

What DJ wishes: 2 win in every 10 matches. Comment: Somewhat unrealistic wishing.

Post-Whatmore: 1 win out of 19 matches.

Comment: I personally expect BD to win 1 out of every 10 matches for the next 15-20 matches.

f) and f): Hard to gather statistics.

g) Atleast a couple of batsman with their averages in 30s and atleast a couple of regular bowlers with their averages in if not early then atleast mid-30s.

Only one batter to fit the bill: Rana
Bowlers: Tapash Baisya, Tareq Aziz, and three or four more bowlers fit the criterion.

ADDENDUM:

But those are almost all wishful thinking about our batting. What were your expectations about our bowling, DJ?

[Edited on 12-8-2004 by Arnab]

[Edited on 12-8-2004 by Arnab]
Old August 11, 2004, 09:36 PM
First Class Cricketer

When Whatmore took over the charge of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka were already a formidable force with more than 50 ODI victories and a few test victories under their belt. BD on the other hand is on a much more shaky ground. The players available to him in BD are not of the same strength as he had available with him when he was the incharge of Sri Lanka. Hence, Whatmore's achievements with the BD team will be limited by the abilities of the players he has at his disposal. The reason why he does not have players of the same calibre that he had elsewhere is not within his control.

Whatmore can only do what is in his control. Getting the best out of the available resources is within his control. Getting the available players to perform like the top teams will be unrealistic because the players available are not of that standard. A Coach's job is made easy when he has top class players available with him. For instance, the job of John Buchanan of Australia is much easier.Even Bob Woolmer's job is easier in comparison.Whatmore's job on the other hand is not at all enviable.

Looks like, getting the best out of the available players is also not an easy task because the players stubbornly refuse to learn from their mistakes and keep commiting the same mistakes again and again.Unless there is a paradigm shift in the attitude of the players, the progress will be only evolutionary and not revolutionary.

Once Whatmore is through with his experience of coaching BD, he will have a wealth of experience to draw on to write a definitive book on human resource management in BD. Useful that this book will be,this book will not have much use for John Buchanan and Bob Woolmer unless they too decide to take up the coaching assignment in BD.
Old August 11, 2004, 10:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Unrealistic and wishful?

If my expectations of BD team crossing 150 mark 9 out of 10 times , or crossing 200 mark 50% of the times, is a wishful and unrealistic thinking, then i really don't have a realistic expectation.

So i am gonna spare you the effort of having to respond to "unrealistic" and "wishful" thoughts.
Old August 11, 2004, 11:14 PM
Club Cricketer

Arnab feels that scoring above 200 runs, staying in the match till the last few overs, winning 20 percent of the matches against major teams etc. are all unrealistic targets for BD. Basically his contention is that hoping for BD to be competitive in ODI against major teams is unrealistic and wishful thinking.

In that case, what is the difference between BD and the teams that do not have ODI status e.g. Canada, Ireland,UAE etc.