facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 17, 2004, 01:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!
Default Odumbe handed five-year ban

Odumbe handed five-year ban

Odumbe has played in 61 one-day internationals
Former Kenya captain Maurice Odumbe has received a five-year ban after being found guilty of receiving money from an Indian bookmaker to fix a match.
Former judge Ahmed Ibrahim, who headed an inquiry, found Odumbe guilty on 12 counts of receiving benefits.

But he stopped short of recommending a life ban for the all-rounder.

"The decision by the KCA to implement the recommendation for a five year ban is entirely appropriate," said ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed.

The inquiry, held last month in Nairbi, heard Odumbe's estranged wife say she collected thousands of dollars from Indian Jagdish Sodha on his behalf.

In his report, Justice Ebrahim said of Odumbe: "He has been callous and greedy in the way he has conducted himself."

"The evidence, if anything, shows him living a lifestyle of pleasure and irresponsibility," he added.

"He has not indicated any intention to mend his ways.

"Instead he has chosen to cast doubts on the honesty and integrity of people who have despaired of his behaviour."

Kenya will now have to replace Odumbe in their 14-man squad for next month's ICC Champions Trophy in England.

"The judge recommended that Maurice Odumbe be banned for five years for inappopriate contact with a known bookie, and we have endorsed those recommendations," KCA chairman Sharad Ghai said.

Odumbe, 35, said he plans to appeal, adding: "I am shocked and surprised, but life has to go on." he said after the verdict was announced.

His lawyer, Ishan Kapila, described the ruling as discriminatory.

"This decision is unfair and ridiculous and a breach of the national justice. We'll appeal to every available forum," said Kapila.

Odumbe has played 61 one-day internationals for Kenya and captained the team to a famous World Cup victory over West Indies in 1996.

Source: BBC sports <<<<<<<<

Edited on, August 17, 2004, 6:50 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

Edited on, August 17, 2004, 6:51 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

Old August 17, 2004, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

isshhh...ajkal kenyan rao taka khaay match patanor jonno...koto aagay gese ora...r amader playerderke karo taka khawanor dorkaro hoy na...

they surely deserve the test status now...
Old August 17, 2004, 01:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Bangladeshi clubs will miss a great international player to play in Dhaka league

Seriously, it is a big blow for Kenya and will certainly keep them bit longer as an associate member than they thought of. Wish them luck in ICC Intercontinental cup!!!
Old August 17, 2004, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

no man...they've got ravindu...tikolo...obuya...etc...etc...blah...blah ...

oderke haraite amader akhono onek dur jaite hobe bhai
Old August 17, 2004, 06:26 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

sure they do get 14 players to name the squad, but without odumbe, they are half as strong as before. now, all they are left with is ticolo.

odumbe, already 35 will not have a carrier after 5 years when he reaches 40. if he does because kenya could not found a replacement for him, they have a long way to go.

the other half of their strength lays on stieve tikolo, 33. he too can't serve too long for them.
Old August 17, 2004, 09:20 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Kenya has enough players to cover the loss of odumbe. He may be one of their best performers (certainly against Bangladesh) but not the only one. Tikolo, Shah, Odoyo, Suji and couple others still has over 5-10 years of international experience (compared to only 1-3 of our players who have been around that long) and that gives them the edge over us.

Even though I think they got lucky against us in the last world cup and were on a miracle run to make is to the semis, they still have a very good side. Good enough to be play test cricket.
Old August 18, 2004, 03:42 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

All the Kenyans and the Kenya-supporters must be feeling horrible now. Even though I could never support Kenya because of obvious rivalry between Bangladesh and Kenya, but it still feels terrible.

Here is one thing that I don't understand - even though Kenya have a much better ODI record (result-wise) than Bangladesh, they still lose majority of their matches. So why would they need to take money to throw (and therefore, fix) matches?
Old August 18, 2004, 03:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Is it true that he took the money in the world cup. He obviously didnt do his job because they won a lot of games. He will be 40 by the time this ban has gone this has finished his career
Old August 18, 2004, 07:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Before writing anything at all I must make it absolutely clear that Im very passionate about our cricket and love our team as much as any other fans if not more. Now what Im going to say is not going to be popular thats for sure but the fact is there arent really any rivalries between Kenya and Bangladesh at present though fwullah mam thinks otherwise. Yes, there was rivalry when Akram and Bulbul were around. I even remember our under 19 squad beating the Kenyan national team in 95-96. But as for now, Im sorry to say this but The Kenyans would beat us 10 times out of 10 in ODIs. The loss of Odumbe would hardly matter. Thats the harsh reality !

Edited on, August 18, 2004, 1:08 PM GMT, by Shehwar.
Old August 18, 2004, 08:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Shehwar
But as for now, Im sorry to say this but The Kenyans would beat us 10 times out of 10 in ODIs . The loss of Odumbe would hardly matter. Thats the harsh reality !
[/i]
I do not think we are that bad ... it would be 6 to 4 in favor of Kenya ....

Edited on, August 18, 2004, 1:52 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
Old August 18, 2004, 10:48 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Before writing anything at all I must make it absolutely clear that Im very passionate about our cricket and love our team as much as any other fans if not more. Now what Im going to say is not going to be popular thats for sure but the fact is there arent really any rivalries between Kenya and Bangladesh at present though fwullah mam thinks otherwise. Yes, there was rivalry when Akram and Bulbul were around. I even remember our under 19 squad beating the Kenyan national team in 95-96. But as for now, Im sorry to say this but The Kenyans would beat us 10 times out of 10 in ODIs. The loss of Odumbe would hardly matter. Thats the harsh reality !
Well, what is the definition of arch-rivals? Only result-wise, if 1 team wins 5 out of 10 and the other team's winning ratio is also the same - is that the definition of arch-rivals?

Or is it that one team competes with the other team during most matches played between themselves, is two rival teams?

The definition of rivalry to me is when we feel that our opposing team is winning every other match and we're unable to do so, and vice versa - that is called rivalry to me.

Even when Bulbul/Akram were playing, we used to get beaten 9 times out of 10 (the exact figure is 6 out of 7) in One Day Internationals - so even then, we were not really rivals, in true sense.

To me, the definition of rivalry is - whenever the name of 'Bangladesh' comes along, then the obvious next name that people all over the world would mention is 'Kenya'. Why is that? Isn't that rivalry - at least to us, fans?

And besides, during recent times, we have undergone a major change, which Kenya had not, until now. Whereas in all this time, they had the same set of players from the very beginning.
Old August 18, 2004, 11:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Even when Bulbul/Akram were playing, we used to get beaten 9 times out of 10 (the exact figure is 6 out of 7) in One Day Internationals - so even then, we were not really rivals, in true sense.
U see the keyword in there is One Day Internationals..We did beat them on numerous occasions when Bulbul/Akram were around...When they came over for a tour to Bangladesh in 95-96 season prior to the World Cup, we actually white washed them 3-0 in the One Day series which unfortunately wasn't recognized as a full ODI series and rightly so as then we did not have any status...Even our A team and under 19 teams beat them on that tour..I don't think i need to remind u of the ICC Trophy final...and then prior to the last ICC Champions trophy and I may mention here that it was the first meeting between the two sides after we had gained test status we beat them by 34 runs (Unfortunately not an official ODI again..just our luck!)..and thakfully Bulbul/Akram were still around....so...3-0 in the one day series...victory in the ICC Trophy final and another victory by 34 runs makes it 5-0..doesn't it...?....and in ODIs ofcourse its 1-5..( I won't count the World Cup match as it was our crap team without Akram/Bulbul).....so...6-5 in favour of us......To me ...that was rivalry.....Ofcourse u may have a different point of view..we all do....I just don't understand what got u so animated..???

Edited on, August 18, 2004, 4:18 PM GMT, by Shehwar.
Old August 18, 2004, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

I'd say we have a 2 against 8 chance of beating the kenyans.

they've still got quality players, and new people are coming up, although very slowly. the loss of odumbe is a big shock for them, but i think they have the resources to come out of it.