facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 24, 2004, 02:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Khaled Mahmud : The Fighter

Stats don't lie !

I have seen several posts saying Khaled Mahmud is a burden of the team…He should be kicked out..He should retire & things like that…So I sat down & tried to figure out why people think like that…I had a look at his ODI career & it says he is the most successful Bangladeshi ODI bowler of all time. He has 54 wickets in ODIs, a feat achieved by no other:

Mat O R W BB Ave Econ SR 4w

63 462 2322 54 4/19 43.00 5.02 51.3 1

Then I thought..may be its his recent performance that’s bothering everyone…So I had a look at his last 10 matches…And I was glad to find out that he captured 11 wickets in his last 10 matches which is only second to Tapash, the country’s main strike bowler who has 12 wickets in his last 10 matches…Here is Mahmud’s bowling performance is his last 10 matches:

O M R W Econ Match

10 0 57 1 5.70 3rd ODI v Zim in 2004 at Harare

5 0 30 0 6.00 4th ODI v Zim in 2004 at Harare

10 1 19 4 1.90 5th ODI v Zim in 2004 at Harare

10 3 15 2 1.50 1st ODI v WI in 2004 at Kingstown

5 0 31 1 6.20 2nd ODI v WI in 2004 at Kingstown

5 0 32 0 6.40 3rd ODI v WI in 2004 at St George's

7 2 17 2 2.43 Asia Cup v HK in 2004 at Colombo,SSC

10 0 56 1 5.60 Asia Cup v Pak in 2004 at Colombo,SSC

8 1 28 0 3.50 Asia Cup v Ind in 2004 at Colombo,SSC

5 0 40 0 8.00 Asia Cup v SL in 2004 at Colombo,RPS

Mahmud has been batting at number 8 or 9 for quite long now…One can hardly do anything in ODIs batting at those numbers and when u consider the performance or the lack of it of our top and middle order batters..!!..Anything Mahmud does with the bat is a bonus..However here is his batting in the last 10 matches..As u can see even at number 8 or 9 he has come up with a few useful 20s…:

Runs Pos Dismissal Match

22 8 run out 3rd ODI v Zim in Zim 2004 at Harare

0 8 caught 4th ODI v Zim in Zim 2004 at Harare

3 9 caught 5th ODI v Zim in Zim 2004 at Harare

0 9 bowled 1st ODI v WI in WI 2004 at Kingstown

1 8 caught 2nd ODI v WI in WI 2004 at Kingstown

4 7 caught 3rd ODI v WI in WI 2004 at St George's

22 9 run out Asia Cup v HK in SL 2004 at Colombo (SSC)

0 9 caught Asia Cup v Pak in SL 2004 at Colombo(SSC)

22 9 caught Asia Cup v Ind in SL 2004 at Colombo(SSC)

7* 10 not out Asia Cup v SL in SL 2004 at Colombo(RPS)

So..what do u think..?....Is his performance that bad that should be disgraced and ridiculed as ‘CHACHA’ ?.....Isn’t he still the one who won us our most famous ODI victory against Pakistan both with bat and ball?....Isn’t he still performing far better than many of our current SENSATIONAL players..?.....Even if a single person is convinced by reading this post..I’ll be satisfied….Please lets not call this gutsy player ‘CHACHA’ who has served our team for so long and almost led us to our first test victory..Lets call him ‘The Fighter”…That’s what hez better known as…Thank you everyone.
Old August 24, 2004, 07:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Now I know that u guys are really against Khaled Mahmud...Not a single positive remark in his favour !!!!!
Old August 24, 2004, 07:11 AM
Cricket Legend

I think hes a bit old and shouldnt be captain as some are saying. But i wouldnt have Mushfiqur in the side instead of him. Until they find another alrounder better than him then Mahmud should stay
Old August 24, 2004, 09:08 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Now I know that u guys are really against Khaled Mahmud...Not a single positive remark in his favour !!!!!
You didn't hear any positive remark in his favor because I haven't been coming to banglacricket (due to the recent conditions of Bangladesh). And I am the lone fan of him in banglacricket, until you came along.

I think someone either in this thread or in the other thread have said that Sujon was the Man of the Match against Pakistan. I won't remind any of you about that, as it was at a time when Sujon was in pretty good form besides being the fact that it was more than 4 years ago.

However, I would like to tell you about his contributions whenever we ACTUALLY won in the LAST ONE YEAR. He was in the team and contributed with the bat, if not with the ball in our win against Zimbabwe. Then in the match against Hong Kong, he again contributed with the bat.

You may not think of the above averages too much in the original post in this thread, but you have to look at the odds.

For those who are not fans of Sujon:

When you are saying anything AGAINST Sujon, then you could say where was he when we played against Canada? Or, you could also say where was he when we played against Kenya during the last world cup when we LOST? These are the points/questions that you should come up/ahead with, rather than he's too old, get him out of the team etc. etc.

Now about the Chacha thing:

If you (shehwar) didn't know it before, Sujon is called chacha because there is a logical explanation for it. His team members call Sujon chacha themselves - IN FRONT OF SUJON. So that's why we also call Sujon our chacha, even if sometimes it means - chacha being too old - that's not the case, even though many members here may mean it that way.
Old August 24, 2004, 09:13 AM
ODI Cricketer

i just dont get it why the heck some of the learned members are talking about sujon,s age rather then his performance..he is undoubtably one of the two most consistant performer (the other one ..pilot )in our fragile line-up.these two proved that they can fight against all sort of adversaries though almost all the time their contributions end up in a loosing concern due to the only fact of lacking the fighting spirit from the other so called stars of our team.if u go back to the time of sujons captaincy u can see the spirit of real tigers under the captaincy of a real figter..though we lost ..the fighting spirit was vividly evident.
Old August 24, 2004, 01:07 PM
Cricket Legend

fwullah apa, u r not the only Chacha fan, I am too. And I call him Chacha only because of the fondness of him.

According to Daily Star, they have not selected any captain yet but I think if BCB has any brain in their head, they will give it to Chacha and not Rajin/Pilot. Rajin is still learning and Pilot had issues with other team mates. So Chacha is best solution for this. Insha Allah, he will play great at ICC Tournament and make us proud.

Your affectionate bhaista.

Edited on, August 24, 2004, 9:52 PM GMT, by BD Tigers.
Old August 24, 2004, 02:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

I dont mind seeing him in ODIs. Dont get me wrong, I am no fan of his. But I have to agree that every now and then he does come up with a decent performance that warrants his selection.

Lets keep him around for just a little while longer. Ultimately though we will have to find a true all-rounder who can actually be a good bastman and a bowler.
Old August 24, 2004, 03:29 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by BD Tigers
fwullah bhai, u r not the only Chacha fan, I am too. And I call him Chacha only because of the fondness of him.
I think it should be "fwullah apa"

Quote:
Originally posted by Shehwar
I have seen several posts saying Khaled Mahmud is a burden of the team…He should be kicked out..He should retire & things like that…
As for Sujon's critisism, well, I don't know a single BD player who was not critisised here in banglacricket. I think people have critisised him (Sujan) mostly for his performance in the test sqaud. His performance in the ODI has been OK, but as a bowler only, eventhough, he claims to be an all rounder.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shehwar
Mahmud has been batting at number 8 or 9 for quite long now…One can hardly do anything in ODIs batting at those numbers and when u consider the performance or the lack of it of our top and middle order batters..!
I think he used to bat at 6 or 7 and he has been moved down the order, and for a good reason. Mainly, the other tailenders are doing better. Since Sujan does not bat at the top or the middle, there is no point comparing him with them.

I beleive the main competetion for Sujan is Mushfiqur Rahman, and here are the numbers for his last ten performance:

36 - - - 1 L 3rd ODI v Eng in BD 2003/04 at Dhaka (d/n) [2060]
- 2/29 0 0 2
0 - - - 1 W 3rd ODI v Zim in Zim 2003/04 at Harare [2110]
- 2/30 0 0 2
- 1/37 0 0 1 L 4th ODI v Zim in Zim 2003/04 at Harare [2111]
49 - - - 2
3 - - - 1 L 5th ODI v Zim in Zim 2003/04 at Harare [2113]
- 0/32 0 0 2
13 - - - 1 L 1st ODI v WI in WI 2004 at Kingstown [2128]
- 0/20 1 0 2
- 1/24 0 0 1 L 2nd ODI v WI in WI 2004 at Kingstown [2129]
8 - - - 2
14 - - - 1 L 3rd ODI v WI in WI 2004 at St George's [2130]
- 1/23 0 0 2
18 - - - 1 W Asia Cup 1 v HK in SL 2004 at Colombo (SSC) [2143]
- 2/21 1 0 2
- 0/50 1 0 1 L Asia Cup 3 v Pak in SL 2004 at Colombo (SSC) [2145]
2 - - - 2
21 - - - 1 L Asia Cup 12 v Pak in SL 2004 at Colombo (RPS) (d/n) [2154]
- 0/26 1 0 2

Babu got 8 wicket and scored 164 runs, and Sujan scored 81 runs and got 11 wickets in last 10 ODIs. Additionally, Babu has about 10 years age advantage on Sujan. What do I mean by that. I think Sujan is past his peak. I don't think he will get any better than what he is right now. Does that mean he will not get a few 3 for or 4 for in the next however many years he has left? Of course not. I think he will have those few special moments, but I don't think he be doing that in a regular basis. Babu is still young and should get better over time. His batting is already much better than Sujan. Bowling should continue to improve. If he continues to improve than he should be clearly a better choice for the team than Sujan with in the next year or two. If Babu is not the clear choice in a couple of years then I hope someone else emerges as a clear choice, otherwise we are not going to win very many ODIs.
Old August 24, 2004, 08:27 PM
Cricket Legend

But when Mashrafe and Talha come back there will be no room for an alrounder. THey will replace Aziz and the alrounder because we need to keep Rafique.
Old August 24, 2004, 08:57 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

he is called chacha by everyone in the team and there is nothing offensive to it. i believe (i heard it don't know if its true) he has a vatija and that vatija is of ash's age (probably his friend). so, ash started to call him chacha and thats where it all started.

1. with the favore of pitch, his ODI bowling is never bad.
2. his test bowling sucks.
3. his odi batting sucks 95% time
4. his test batting sucks all the time (used to suck, i might say for obvious reason)

so, he is an ODI bowler of quite good quality. what does that leave us with? his current and only reval is mushfique. but as his current batting, he also can be barely considered alrounder. BUT, as an opening bowler, mushfique is better than sujon. and when compared the wicket of these two, we must considered the fact that, mushfiq was forced to open the bowling which is not his spacility. if he were to come as a change bowler, he would have done better. it would be interesting to separate chacha's opening bowling with mushfique's opening bowling and these two's change bowling separately. i've the feeling that babu will out number sujon. question comes, what is the best team we can get out of this scenerio? since we've nazmul now, tapash and nazmul can have a quickie duo where both are opening bowlers. now, as a change bowler who is more effective sujon or mushfiq? i've to say it depends on the pitch. if the pitch is bowling friendly i'd go with sujon, and if its a batting pitch i'll take babu because his batting is better than sujon (even though he is going thru badpatch).

but we are expecting masri to come back during NZ series. that obviously takes away a stop. then, we've to keep tapash and masri as openers. and since that would give some more power to our bowling. we could have to laxuary to strength the batting. or better yet, create another bowler for future. so, i'd be in favore of chacha leaving his space to give room to nazmul/shahadat/talha/sharif or mushfiq.

i agree that sujon still have few things to offer. but is it really a good idea to leave when u've nothing to offer? i don't think so. otherwise steave waugh or nasser houssain would still keep playing.
Old August 24, 2004, 10:31 PM
Cricket Legend

I think Khaled Mahmud should stick to the ODIs and leave a youngster to take a place in the test team. Hopefully either Talha or Nazmul. When does shariff come back from his 2 year injury.
Old August 24, 2004, 10:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Great to see there is a fan of ‘Chacha’ after all….Thanx fwullah sis…And I also must thank everyone else for clarifying the ‘Chacha’ issue….From now on I’ll be call him “Chacha’ too as there is nothing offensive about it…Lets just keep our fingers crossed and hope that he performs to the best of his ability..Take care everyone..
Old August 25, 2004, 03:41 AM
Cricket Legend

I'm another fan of him... i just don't say much about him... the last time i spoke of him was during his role in our victory over Zimbabwe.
Old August 25, 2004, 07:15 PM
Cricket Legend

you guys should form a yahoo group...better yet a fan club. do we have any player fan clubs??
Old August 25, 2004, 09:20 PM
First Class Cricketer

we need sujon...that's it. that's the bottom line.

Come on...we need someone to curse.

Prohor