facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 31, 2004, 04:09 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default Early days

Cricket in Bangladesh

From the May 1983 issue of Cricketer Asia by Tawfiq Aziz Khan

Cricekt is as old in Bangladesh as its history in the subcontinent. Once the favourite pasttime for the richer section of the people, the game of cricket has over the years become popular among the masses, perhaps a close second only to football.

In British India cricket was confined to the rich and educated. Hence its follwers were also limited. But interest for cricket gradually mounted with Pakistan's first ever Test victory at Lucknow in 1952. People started talking about Fazal Mahmood, Hanif Mohammed, Imtiaz Ahmed, Khan Mohammad and AH Kardar.

But the victory at the Oval in 1954 left an indelible mark in the minds of all and sundry. Cricket became an instant sucess and Fazal Mahmood a hero.

Since then there was no loking back. Like many other things, cricket had to be reorganised after the liberation. The initial period was crucial for the game. There were many who thought that the game should be discarded and some of them were quite powerful. But the threat was squarely met by the new but equally powerful general secretary of the BCCB Mr. Muzaffar Hussain Pattu. Cricket got a new lease of life.

In 1972/73, the first division cricket league was organised but due to unavoidable circumstances it could be completed.

Despite the non availability of cricket gears, the organisers and the players exhibited remarkable determination in starting the first national championship in 1973/74. Thiswas the first major tournament in the country followed by many others and today as many as nine tournaments are m,aking their rounds every year.

In 1975/76, the Bangladesh Cricket Control Board was reorganised. The new secretary Mr. Raeesud Din Ahmed, himself a cricketer of repute, took up the challenge of restoring cricket to its rightful place. Mr. Robin Marlar, a noted British journalist, who was a succesful cricketer himself, and Syed Ashraful Haq, another Bangladesh cricketer, along with Mr Ahmed succesfully organised a tour of Bangladesh by an MCC team lead by Ted Clarke in 1976. The team included some English county players and played matches in Rajshahi, Chittagong, Jessore and Dhaka.

The tour was a great success and a result Bangladesh was admitted to the ICC as an associate member in 1977.

In 1977/78 a strong team from Sri Lanka enthralled the crowds at Dhaka, Rajshahi,Mymensingh and won the three day unofficial 'Test' match at the Dhaka stadium. In March 1978,the Deccan blues from India lead by former Indian skipper Ajit Wadekar played a three day match at Dhaka. The team had some test prospects like Narasimha Rao and Jayantilal. The match was drawn.

Ted Clark came back in 1978/79 with the MCC and played a number of matches. This team included former test players John Jameson and Richard hutton and former West Indian opener Conrad Hunte. The local players performed creditably against them. Michael Mence, a membeer of Clark's team, captained the third MCC visit in 1979/80. The local players performed well losing only the one day match in Dhaka.

Pakistan took time off from the Indian tour of 1979/80 and played a match in Chittagong which ended in a fisaco. The Hyderabad blues, an enseblage of Indian Test cricketers past and present toured Bangladesh in 1981/82. Led by the former Indian spinner BS Chandrasekhar, the team included Chetan Chauhan, Anshuman Gaekwad, Rakesh Shukla, Suru NAyak and Roger Binny. The three day match at Dhaka was drawn but our boys lost the one day match.

In March this year a strong Bengal CA team lead by Indian spinner Dilip Doshi and accompanied by Test opener Pranob Roy and some Ranji players won both the three day and one day matches at Dhaka.

In between Bangladesh had made a couple of tours to England and both occasions played in the ICC tournament in 1979 and 1982.

In 1979, Bangladesh won 2 and lost 2 matches. They won against Fiji and Malaysia and lost against Canada and Denmark. But in 1982 they fared well reaching the semifinal where they lost to Barmuda and was placed fourth.

Some of the players played well in the warmup matches against local teams and scored centuried on England soil.

The going has been good so far. In the 12 years Bangladesh cricket still has made remarkable progress. But it has still along way to go. Since liberation new venues of cricket have been created. More and more boys are coming forward to play cricket. The crowds are also increasing. The expectation is building up to see Bangladesh playing official Tests which is the ultimate objective of all these exercises. But it takes time. Sri Lanka had to wait for 30 years. After all, Rome was not built in a day.
Old August 31, 2004, 11:11 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I think I read it somewhere before. May be in Kriralok?

Kriralok lekha churi kore kichu bharotiyo ingreji potrika theke.
Old August 31, 2004, 11:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The going has been good so far. In the 12 years Bangladesh cricket still has made remarkable progress. But it has still along way to go
He should do another article. What happened in the years following his observations.
Old August 31, 2004, 11:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
Quote:
The going has been good so far. In the 12 years Bangladesh cricket still has made remarkable progress. But it has still along way to go
He should do another article. What happened in the years following his observations.
It is several years since Tawfiq Aziz Khan has passed away.
Old December 20, 2004, 12:45 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default SL and MCC tours to Bangladesh

Got this from a friend at the Victor Trumper Board who has a collection of Wisdens. Hope this will prompt the senior members to share their memories of the matches.

Sri Lanka v Bangladesh 1978/9

Tourists: APB Tennekoon (capt), E.R.Fernando, B.Warnapura, S.R.de.S.Wettimuny, A.R.M.Opatha, T.Illaperuma, L.W.Karuperuma, G.R.A.de Silva, R.L.Dias, A.N.Ranasinghe, L.R.D.Mendis, F.R.M.de.S.Goonatilleke, H.M.Goonatilleke, G.J.Woutersz

2 day match
Mymesingh: Central Zone 42 (Opatha 5-18, Illaperuma 4-11) & 72,. SL 190-2d (Waranapura 85, Fernando 79)

2 day match
Jessore: SL 276-7d (Tennekoon 58, Mendis 51, Ranasinghe 50*, Dias 41) & 130-4d (Woutersz 51, Dias 50*), Southern Zone 97 (Ashraful Haq Hira 40, de Silva 5-28, Illaperuma 3-36) & 52-4.

2 day match:
Faridpur: SL 320-4d (Mendis 106, Wettimuny 100, Woutersz 37, Warnapura 31, Azam 3-73) Presidents XI 55 (R.Goonatilleke 5-27) & 145-8 (Mainul Haq 39, Illaperuma 4-32)
Mendis & Wettimuny put on 188 for the 2nd wkt.

1st International (3 day)
Dacca: Bangladesh 174 (Shafiqul Haq 40, Yousuf Rahman 37, de Silva 6-69) & 164 (Rahman 41*, Opatha 3-19, Illaperuma 3-28), Sri Lanka 347-3d (Warnapura 116, Tennekoon 100, Mendis 70*, Dias 37*).
Warnapura & Tennekoon 193 for 2nd wkt. Mendis & Dias 106* for 4th wkt.

ODI:
Dacca: Bangladesh 88 (Kaluperuma 3-8) SL 89-1 (Dias 52*, Woutersz 37*)

2nd International (3 day)
venue: SL 307-1d (Warnapura 167*, Tennekoon 72*, Fernando 57), Bangladesh 143 (Ranasinghe 5-11 inc hat trick, Opatha 3-24) & 161 (Jeganathan 4-25, Illaperuma 4-48)
Warnapura & Fernando 133 for 1st wkt. Warnapura & Tennekoon 174* for 2nd wkt.

3rd International (3 day)
venue: Bangladesh 176 (Mainul Haq 43, Shafiqul Haq, R.Goonatilleke 6-38) & 127 (Shafiqul Haq 49, Omar Khalid 35, Ranasinghe 4-23, R.Goonatilleke 3-41), SL 327 (Warnapura 105, Kaluperuma 48, Tennekoon 44, Dias 37, Yousuf Rahman 3-58, T.Haider 3-76)
Warnapura & Kaluperuma 100 for 8th wkt.

MCC in Bangladesh 1978/9

Tourists: E.A.Clark (capt), B.L.Reed (v-c & manager), C.A.Fry, J.A.Jameson, C.C.Hunte, P.J.Lewington, S.Dyson, K.Taylor, H.K.More, W.G.Merry, C.L.Toole, C.B.Hamblin, A.R.Duff, N.J.W.Stewart

2 day game:
Jessore: Pres XI 210-8d (Shafiqul Haq Hira 51, Raquibul Hassan 39, Lewington 4-30) & 52-3d, MCC 166 (Omar Khalid Rusu 4-30, Nazrul Kadir Lintu 4-49) & 5-2.

ODI:
Mynesingh: Ban 104-9 (Ashraful Haq 25, W.G.Merry 4-13) MCC 106-0 (Jameson 61*, Reed 40*)

1st International (3 day)
Rajshahi: MCC 247 (Jameson 59, Reed 48, Hunte 38, Dyson 33, Nazrul 5-70, Yousuf Babu 3-36) & 114-1d (Hunte 55*, Taylor 35), Bangladesh (Omar Khalid 33, Ziul Islam Masood 33, Lewington 3-23) & 104-2 (Omar Khalid 35)

2nd International (3 day)
Chittagong: MCC 303-8d (Hunte 89, More 60, Dyson 38, Nazrul 4-58) & 105-3d (Hunte 53), Bangladesh 192 (Shafiqul Haq 73, Ziul Islam Masood 30, Merry 5-45) & 97-7 (Lewington 4-19)

ODI:
Dacca: MCC 155-7 (Hunte 33, Nazrul 3-29) Bangladesh 84 (Toole 5-6)

3rd International (3 day)
Dacca: MCC 210 (Clark 71, Duff 33, Jameson 32, Omar Khalid 3-65, Nazrul 3-77) & 172-4d (Hunte 60, Jameson 44), Bangladesh 152 (Badsha 37, Stewart 5-44, Merry 3-35) & 147-8 (Robin 37, Duff 4-54, Stewart 3-26)

===================

From a Pete Griffith post in rsc dated December 16, 1996 :

The National Cricket Championship

This is the major cricket tournament in Bangladesh.
All the District Sports Associations, Universities and Services are eligible to take part.

Winners Runners-Up
1974-75 Comilla District Barisal District
1975-76 Faridpur District Comilla District
1976-77 Comilla District Dhaka District
1977-78 Bangladesh Biman Rajshahi District
1978-79 Dhaka University Bangladesh Biman
1979-80 Dhaka University Bangladesh Biman
1980-81 Bangladesh Biman Chittagong District
1981-82 Bangladesh Shipping Dhaka District
Corporation
1982-83 Sylhet District Dhaka District

Wills National Cricket Championship
1983-84 Dhaka University Bangladesh Biman
1984-85 Dhaka University Barial District
1985-86 Dhaka University Bangladesh Biman
1986-87 Dhaka University Bangladesh Biman
1987-88 Bangladesh Biman Barisal District
1988-89 Chittagong District Dhaka University
1989-90 Dhaka University Narayanganj District
1990-91 Final not held

Gold Leaf National Cricket Championship
1991-92 Chittagong District Sylhet District
1992-93 Chittagong District Bangladesh Biman

Pepsi National Cricket Championship
1993-94 Sylhet District Dhaka University

Source

Edited on, December 20, 2004, 1:16 PM GMT, by Tintin.
Old December 20, 2004, 02:04 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

So nothing much changed since 1979!!:duh:
Old December 20, 2004, 07:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara
Default Nazrul Kadir Lintu

The best left arm spinner of the late 70/eraly 80's. He used to bowl with wearing thick lens glasses. Its unfortunate that his stats are not saved in either cricinfo or cricketarchive.
Old December 20, 2004, 08:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Some typos (I think):

Omar Khalid Rusu => Omar Khalid Rumi (ex BD selector)
Ashraful Haq Hira => either Shafiqul Haq Hira (BCB memebr) or Ashraful Haq (ACC sec gen)
Ziul Islam Masood => Ziaul Islam Masood (current umpire)
Old December 20, 2004, 12:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Tintin;

See if you can track two more tours:

1) Deccan Blues (with Roger Binny, Dileep Doshi, and probably Arun Lal) '82 (I think)
2) Omar Qureshi 11 (with Akram, Imran, and Qader) in '87/88
Old December 20, 2004, 12:05 PM
BC Editorial Team

Deccan Blues is not there. I asked him to look for all the tours mentioned in the article in the first post but he could find only these two. I'll ask about the other.
Old December 20, 2004, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

I watched the matches against the Hyderabad Blues in 81/82 although too many brain cells died since then for me to remember any details. The sky was blue, there was a fight in the stands, chairs were thrown....Anyway the Deccan Blues tour was a couple of years earlier (see earlier post from Tintin)

Nazim Shirazi, who sometimes writes on this board but hasn't in a while, was one of those bangladeshis who scored centuries in England during the 82 ICC Associate tournament. He had some of those old pictures and hopefully will post about his playing days again - would be nice to have a section on the site dedicated to cricket history.
Old December 20, 2004, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Tintin
Deccan Blues is not there. I asked him to look for all the tours mentioned in the article in the first post but he could find only these two. I'll ask about the other.
There was tour by Deccun Blues around that time. I was at the stadium can only remember BD batsman Mashiur Rahman Mantu saved BD selection from kind of follow on or innings defeat.
Old December 20, 2004, 01:47 PM
Cricket Legend

In one match Yousuf Babu hit a six of Binny's first ball (or over). Probably Binny was at BD with Deccun Blues at that time.
Old December 20, 2004, 01:55 PM
Administrator

I watched the Rajshahi MCC game and got a Conrad Hunte autograph.

As for Deccan Blues - I watched the Dhaka games. They were also known as Hyderabad Blues.

Does anyone remember the Karachi Blues visit?
Old December 20, 2004, 02:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Me too... watched the Rajshahi match against MCC... can remember John Jemson other than Hunt (only black player in that group). Oh they had a lanky fast bowler Stwert.
Old December 20, 2004, 02:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

I watched all the matches during that period that took place at the Dhaka stadium. Ofcourse, I do not remember the details. The Sri Lanka team then was extremely strong for Bangladesh. Very soon after that visit to Bangladesh they received test status. I remember the ODI in Dhaka

Dacca: Bangladesh 88 (Kaluperuma 3-8) SL 89-1 (Dias 52*, Woutersz 37*)

Sri Lanka lost the only wicket in the first ball of their innings. Daulat was the bowler and Hira (wicketkeeper) took the catch. The whole stadium erupted in joy, as if they had won. Such was the Dhaka crowd even them.
Old November 15, 2008, 11:49 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I watched the Rajshahi MCC game and got a Conrad Hunte autograph.

As for Deccan Blues - I watched the Dhaka games. They were also known as Hyderabad Blues.

Does anyone remember the Karachi Blues visit?
Stumped! (http://ramscricket.blogspot.com/2008...for-india.html ) is a blog by former first class cricketer V Ramnarayan. He was one of the players who came to Bangladesh with the Hyderabad Blues and his blog has a few paragraphs about that tour.

Quote:
I can never forget the experience of playing for Hyderabad Blues before 35,000 paying spectators at Dhaka, in January 1978, long before any Test nation toured the newly-formed Bangladesh. We might have been a loose combination of players from all over India, but as our acting skipper Ajit Wadekar reminded us minutes before the toss, no matter what we were called, we were the Indian team and it was as good as a Test match. The match was played in all seriousness, like the rest of the matches on that tour of Australia, South East Asia and Bangladesh.`

Coming back to the match at Dacca, Bobjee and I again went wicketless on a white, gleaming clay wicket, which yielded turn but extremely slow turn. Batting first, we made over 400, with Ajit Wadekar making a hundred and Sivaramakrishnan and Jayantilal playing substantial knocks. The Bangladesh team made a decent reply, some 300 plus for seven or eight, batting out nearly two days. It was slow, excruciating attrition and the Hyderabad bowlers had to be content with containment. Tukaram Surve, our veteran wicket keeper conceded 69 byes and was mercilessly teased by Wadekar, leading the team in the absence of Jaisimha, already back in Hyderabad to finalise the arrangements for his benefit match. “You were in great form, Godfrey,’ he said, calling Surve by his nickname on the tour—after the former England great Godfrey Evans. Surve’s retort was quick and angry: “How do you expect me to keep to these spinners? One of them bowls off breaks on the leg stump and the other his googlies outside it!”

Later that evening Wadekar told Surve that both Bobjee and I were deeply hurt by his remarks. A very contrite Surve then sought me out and apologised profusely. “I’m so sorry, Rama. You actually bowled well for the first time on the tour!”
Old November 16, 2008, 11:27 AM
Cricket Legend

There was also a pakistani tour in Jan 80 or Dec 79. The pakistani team that was touring India came to Bangladesh just after or before Calcuta test. But the tour was postponed after first day as some rude remark from Pakistani players there was violence in stadium on the second day morning. That was the first international match(?) I watch. The only thing I remember Badsha bowled Miandad. I could not find about the tour i cricinfo.
Old November 16, 2008, 05:09 PM
BC Editorial Team

So apparently our wickets have stayed consistent over the years! Slow, low turn back then - slow, low turn even now. Guess our clay/mud is like our people - or perhaps the other way around
Old November 16, 2008, 07:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

i watched one of the matches with Hyderabad Blues in 81/82. i was a pre-teen.
i also saw syed kirmani with the Hyderabad Blues later again in dhaka, forgot when, mid eithies. and the ratanayeke, old mendis SL team in the mid eighties

Last edited by bujhee kom; November 16, 2008 at 10:26 PM..
Old November 16, 2008, 08:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

হায়দ্রাবাদ ব্লুজ মনে হয় ৯০এর দশকেও এসেছিলো। ঢাকা স্টেডিয়ামে খেলা দেখছি, মনে আছে।
Old November 18, 2008, 04:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
হায়দ্রাবাদ ব্লুজ মনে হয় ৯০এর দশকেও এসেছিলো। ঢাকা স্টেডিয়ামে খেলা দেখছি, মনে আছে।
Ya...Hydrabad blues also came to Bangladesh in 1994 i think. After we were defeated in 1994 ICC trophy. At the same time Kenya national team also visited BD, and even our Under-19 team beat them in a match at Dhaka. Pailot, Durjoy, Shanot all were part of that U-19 team.
3 bangladeshi team- National team, BD-A, U-19 were formed and they played with Kenya, hydrabad blues and Hongkong (probably) who visited bangladesh almost at the same time. We had a good series then and lots of youngsters were produced.
Old November 18, 2008, 05:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin

Since then there was no loking back. Like many other things, cricket had to be reorganised after the liberation. The initial period was crucial for the game. There were many who thought that the game should be discarded and some of them were quite powerful. But the threat was squarely met by the new but equally powerful general secretary of the BCCB Mr. Muzaffar Hussain Pattu. Cricket got a new lease of life.
Is it Awami League leader Muzaffar Hussain Paltu? Never knew he had this big contribution in cricket.
Old November 18, 2008, 02:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
ya...hydrabad blues also came to bangladesh in 1994 i think. After we were defeated in 1994 icc trophy. At the same time kenya national team also visited bd, and even our under-19 team beat them in a match at dhaka. Pailot, durjoy, shanot all were part of that u-19 team.
3 bangladeshi team- national team, bd-a, u-19 were formed and they played with kenya, hydrabad blues and hongkong (probably) who visited bangladesh almost at the same time. We had a good series then and lots of youngsters were produced.
ঠিক বলেছেন। কেনিয়া শুধু u-19 দের বিরুধে একটি ম্যাচ জিতাছিলো আর সব ম্যাচ হেরেছিলো। কেনিয়ার পৃথুল উইকেটরক্ষক (সম্ভবত) তারেক আজিজের মোটা চশমার স্মৃতি আজও মনে আছে। ঢাকা স্টেডিয়ামের প্রায় সবগুলো ম্যাচই দেখেছিলাম।
Old April 6, 2013, 05:25 AM
BC Editorial Team

Came across these match reports of the tour of the Pakistani Test team to East Pakistan in 1952-53. These seem to be first major cricket matches played in present day Bangladesh after 1947, even though the matches are not given first class status.

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Pr...tml#/53/zoomed

The article says that the East Pakistan wicket keeper Mohsin Kazi was included in the Pakistan team for the tour of Burma that followed. No details of that tour could be found online. East Pakistan's captain Salahuddin served as a Test selector in the 1950s and stood in as an umpire in a Test on one occasion.

Add : Found a few very brief reports like http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/23221788