facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 12, 2004, 09:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Post-Match Analysis BD v SA: This must be the worst performance in the last 3/4 years !

Sadly, the match was lost at 10 am [ mark the time ], when inexplicably Rajin said he would bat after winning the toss. Graeme Smith needed a confirmation from him that indeed what he heard was correct !

I just heard on Sky from Wasim Akram that the Chairman of the Board told him that he thought that the team decision was to bowl.

In those conditions, even our bowlers might have got a couple of wickets and pegged back SA a bit. At least, this shambles would have been avoided.

This must be the worst performance in the last 3/4 years !
Old September 12, 2004, 09:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

totally agreed...the game was lost when we decided to bat after winning the toss. The ball darted this way and that way. There are swing, lateral movement...the whole works. And Charl was on target from the word go. We should have bowled first up. No doubt about it!
Old September 12, 2004, 09:29 AM
Club Cricketer

It has been BD policy to bat first on winning the toss. I do not remember any incidence when BD decides to chase on winning the toss. It is because they do not want to chase a big total. In fact they are nervous to chase even a small total even against weak ODI opposition. It was this mindset that prompted BD captain to elect to bat. Of course, for SA, it was a gift from the heaven.
Old September 12, 2004, 09:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Well I can accept that they were brave enought to bat first. But they should have applied basics to play in English condition i.e. if the ball is doing too much just do nothing in the first few overs accept defending. They seem clueless. Afterall as an international team you can't always blame pitches and condition!
Old September 12, 2004, 09:46 AM
Test Cricketer

Anyone who knows anything about English conditions knows that winning the toss in one day matches late in the season is like winning the lottery ! More so than 4 day matches as the match start earlier.

Having a predetermined position about batting first regardless of the conditions is mind-boggling. This from a side whose bowling is surely better than batting !

I am in no way suggesting that the result would have been different otherwise. But I think in those conditions SA would not have scored more than 240.

Edited on, September 12, 2004, 2:47 PM GMT, by Imtiaz.
Old September 12, 2004, 09:49 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

It was really poor captaincy to choose to bat first in a killer pitch like that..!
I guess it was just a childish fascination of causing an upset by batting first and then putting the opposition under pressure!!

simply... Poor Captaincy!
Old September 12, 2004, 09:51 AM
Cricket Legend

well who knew that the wicket would have acted so strangely. rajins thought was probably to bat first and get about 250 runs and then put south africa under pressure. kintu shopno kintu shopnoi theke gelo. sheta kintu bastob holo na.
Old September 12, 2004, 09:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Default It\'s quality only

It is not a matter of batting or fielding first. Actually, it is the quality of our team. After getting test status, as a fan we are thinking BD as a Aus/India/Paki team. Our team does not have basic quality to play international game. Don't you remember the match against Canada, Ken, and even Scotland.

As a biased/blind fan we are thinking BD as a different team. Remember guys, it is just BD team.
Old September 12, 2004, 10:04 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
originally quoted by Ibrahim
It is not a matter of batting or fielding first. Actually, it is the quality of our team. After getting test status, as a fan we are thinking BD as a Aus/India/Paki team. Our team does not have basic quality to play international game. Don't you remember the match against Canada, Ken, and even Scotland.

As a biased/blind fan we are thinking BD as a different team. Remember guys, it is just BD team.
Very well said. We must keep it in mind at all times.

Edited on, September 12, 2004, 3:06 PM GMT, by coolheels.
Old September 12, 2004, 10:15 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

If you guys can get hold of the tape of this game watch it. Imtiaz bhai is spot on! The commentators kept on saying how stupid it was to bat first in England in mid-september, that too early in the morning. Terrible decision in hindsight.

PS: Nafees's batting was a ray of hope. If our u19 and McInnes can produce another 2 or three players like him, we will be set. Aftab got a good ball and couldn't show today what he is capable of but he was looking confident and at ease in the middle.

Edited on, September 12, 2004, 3:17 PM GMT, by pompous.
Old September 12, 2004, 10:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Two plus points:

One, despite his horrendous shot to get out, displaying utter immaturity, even considering his "19" years of age, Nafees is firmly in my top 6 Bangladesh batsmen. He has proven that he has it in him to succeed.

Nazmul "16" bowled well enough to be considered for the 3rd seam place. The only consideration is that Mushfiqur despite today's failure [ well, everybody failed ] averages 16 with the bat and considering our batting line-up this cannot be ignored. He now bats at No.8. Rana also correctly bats at No.7. Mashud batting at No.6 is a good idea. Given his limited ability, he is Bangladesh's most dependable batsman.
Old September 12, 2004, 10:29 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Ummm, pompous, which commentators' game did you watch? In Dhaka, they shown 2 commentary teams of the same match - one was shown on Set Max and another one on Ten Sports. I guess Ten Sports is the one who also had the Sky Sports staff as their commetry team.

I am not sure which ones I saw, but I'm pretty sure that the commentary team that I listened to, they all said that batting first was a positive decision and that the wicket was a used pitch (the same wicket was played for the England-Zimbabwe match) and that the pitch has dusts coming off it once the ball pitches - kinda like the sub-continent pitches.

But Yes, it was rather mind-boggling to me as to why there was no mention of the English weather conditions in the Set Max channel's preview show of Extraaa Innings whatsoever.
Old September 12, 2004, 10:32 AM
First BC Member

About Nafees and Nazmul - I will not comment on them until exactly 1 year has past and if they are still on the good form that they're in now, then, only then, will I praise them for their efforts, because otherwise, they're just the same as Ashraful, Rajin et al.
Old September 12, 2004, 10:34 AM
First BC Member

And by the way, this was not the worst performance in the last 3/4 years, but yes, it was the worst performance during Whatmore's tenure, I didn't expect the Bangladesh team to go this low under Dav.
Old September 12, 2004, 10:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
Ummm, pompous, which commentators' game did you watch? In Dhaka, they shown 2 commentary teams of the same match - one was shown on Set Max and another one on Ten Sports. I guess Ten Sports is the one who also had the Sky Sports staff as their commetry team.

I am not sure which ones I saw, but I'm pretty sure that the commentary team that I listened to, they all said that batting first was a positive decision and that the wicket was a used pitch (the same wicket was played for the England-Zimbabwe match) and that the pitch has dusts coming off it once the ball pitches - kinda like the sub-continent pitches.

But Yes, it was rather mind-boggling to me as to why there was no mention of the English weather conditions in the Set Max channel's preview show of Extraaa Innings whatsoever.
Here, we were watching Sky. In fact, the recorded pre-toss clip almost took it for granted that the side winning the toss would put the other side in.

Regarding Nafees. He is in my top-6 right now. So, is Ashraful. Since, no one has an average of above 25 [ I am not taking Rana's average seriously ], I am left only to judge on "potential" and the "look" [ not looks ].

My six:

Javed
Ashraful
Nafees
Sarkar [ at No.4 ]
Bashar
Mashud
Old September 12, 2004, 10:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

All I can say is this: we will be the only ones to blame when more n-tier garbage comes our way...

you cant really blame the n-tier crazies for comeing up with more nonsense after seeing this.
Old September 12, 2004, 11:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Apart from Set Max, India's national channel Doordarshan showed the match live on their primary channel on the national network which was remarkable because it was a match not involving India and secondly this channel on sunday shows Hindi movies at that time.

DD national had decided to show important matches of CT not involving India as well. Now they have decided not to show BD's next match against WI on the national network.
Old September 12, 2004, 11:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
And by the way, this was not the worst performance in the last 3/4 years, but yes, it was the worst performance during Whatmore's tenure, I didn't expect the Bangladesh team to go this low under Dav.
Which ODI was worse than this in the last 3/4 years ? I cannot recall a poorer performance in this time. The team always managed 150 - 170. Lately, that has gone up to 170 -190.
What was shocking was the utter capitulation ! Only, Mashud, as he always does, played responsibly.
Old September 12, 2004, 11:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Which ODI was worse than this in the last 3/4 years ? I cannot recall a poorer performance in this time. The team always managed 150 - 170. Lately, that has gone up to 170 -190.
What was shocking was the utter capitulation ! Only, Mashud, as he always does, played responsibly.
Old September 12, 2004, 11:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

Yeah, I agreed with the topic owner.
Old September 12, 2004, 11:58 AM
First Class Cricketer

y the hell select to bat.Any team would have been bundled out as little as 130-150 runs.

Men Rajiin !!!!!!!!!
Old September 12, 2004, 12:49 PM
Cricket Legend

well looks like bds progress graph has started to take a negative slope. the graph was having a positive slope in australia westindies and zimbabwe. but since asia cup the curve started to be negative. the players really have to do something to make the curve positive again. and this is really the worst performance under Dave. i agree with you madam. just too sad to talk about it. shokal bela ghum theke uthlam onek asha niye. nah.........as usual diner shuruta hoilo akta baje khelar khobor dekhe.
Old September 12, 2004, 12:54 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Ummm, pompous, which commentators' game did you watch? In Dhaka, they shown 2 commentary teams of the same match - one was shown on Set Max and another one on Ten Sports....
wel forget the commentry...
after Watching the game... what do u personally think?
was the wicket in favor of the batsmen?
Old September 12, 2004, 01:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

The wicket was assisting the bowlers as was the case in the first 3 matches of the tournament. But in the first three matches, the sides batting first were able to recover from the loss of early wickets to post totals of nearly 300 runs and win. It means that it was possible to score runs in the slog overs by keeping the wickets intact.

This was the first time in this tournament that the side batting first lost the match.
Old September 12, 2004, 01:52 PM
Cricket Legend

bangladesh has the ability to make a batting pitch look like one of the worlds best boling pitch.......bangladeshi batsman have the ability to do that. they are very experienced in doing this.