facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 14, 2004, 09:48 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default \'We\'re not here to make up the numbers,\' says Whatmore

Anand Vasu at Southampton

September 14, 2004

Dav Whatmore, Bangladesh's coach, believes that his team can lift themselves from the thrashing they received at the hands of South Africa, and give West Indies a run for their money. And Brian Lara certainly gave Bangladesh a fair bit of respect when he spoke to the media at the Rose Bowl on the eve of the match.

"I think Brian Lara's comments were made as a result of the last time we played them, in the West Indies," said Whatmore. "The boys had some reasonable days and we came close a couple of times in the one-dayers. That's why he understands that Bangladesh can play much better than what we showed at Edgbaston. We're all pretty upset with that."

Whatmore was clear that his team were not quite in the same position as some like the USA, who were totally outclassed by Australia yesterday. He believes that Bangladesh have it in them to upset the big teams, even though they have not been consistently competitive in the past. "We're going for a win," said Whatmore when asked what he expected from the match against West Indies. "We don't play to make up the numbers. We may falter and play some bad cricket for half-an-hour or an hour, but the objective is to go out there and win. Nobody can blame us for that."

Ricky Ponting, and some former cricketers in the media, have raised doubts about the lessons the minnows take away after being outclassed by the big guns, and it has even been suggested that the Champions Trophy might not be the right place for them to compete. But Whatmore doesn't think this applies to Bangladesh: "It's fine for people to have that opinion, but at the same time one of the major ICC goals is to spread the improvement of cricket globally. There's only one or two opportunities where we can all get together as a group, and this is one of them."

While admitting that Bangladesh had not fulfilled their promise, Whatmore explained that there was no reason why they could not succeed at the highest level. "Bangladesh have not done as well as they should have, but you have to look at a lot of things. Inside Bangladesh are the ideal circumstances in which to make the game flourish and be really competitive worldwide. You have the population, the grounds, huge interest, and potentially big sponsors. It's all there. Bangladesh doesn't need negative comments. It needs enough people helping to push in the right direction in order for that team to be competitive, because everything else is there. This is not necessarily true in some of the other developing countries."

Source: Cricinfo
Old September 14, 2004, 09:51 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

sigh! I hope our performance against Wi justifies his comments. I agree with him...but we need a solid performance in teh WI match to keep the sharks at bay.
Old September 14, 2004, 12:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
And Brian Lara certainly gave Bangladesh a fair bit of respect when he spoke to the media at the Rose Bowl on the eve of the match.
Brian Lara back in my good book now. Let's see if we can contain him and Gayle tomorrow
Old September 14, 2004, 12:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

We will find out tomorrow if the the respect Lara has for Bangladesh is justified. Just a matter of hours now.
Old September 14, 2004, 12:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Brian Lara has respect for BD because of BD's showing against them earlier in the year. Indians show similar respect towards Kenya because Kenya have given India troubles in the past.

The lesson is, you get respected by an opponent through the weight of your performance.
Old September 14, 2004, 12:42 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

So does anybody hope for a win against the WI now?
Old September 14, 2004, 12:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

I hope for a win, but it is a hope against all hopes. If we win however, I will consider ourselves extremely lucky and West Indies misfortunate.
Old September 14, 2004, 01:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
So does anybody hope for a win against the WI now?
Yes, I do, and I honestly beleive that we have a very very small chance.
Old September 14, 2004, 04:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

i'm scared going into the match tonight. just scared, simply and purely. scared.
Old September 14, 2004, 09:40 PM

Dav Whatmore had to go after Brian Lara's backup comments to defend Bangladesh's "improved" performance.
Sooner or later he may lost every possible backup which could bring up to the people to defend him or his team.
I afraid how long he can stand on his confident, if we don't bring something for him for real.
As we always do, let's hope for the next match.
Old September 14, 2004, 09:45 PM
Test Cricketer

i like dav whatmore and i respect the guy. i think he can take bd team to the next level. but our cricket board has to give him the time and resources.
Old September 14, 2004, 09:48 PM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

a win against india for bd will mean most of the criticisms for bd will come to an end. however, i hope bd never beats ind.(no offence intended)
Old September 15, 2004, 10:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

Yes, He is right. But Why others will relay on his comments while we are failed to show better perfoemance in the both two matches.
Old September 15, 2004, 06:13 PM
First Class Cricketer

guys not a win but batting well is what we need..somthing we can never do for YEARS!!!
Old September 17, 2004, 04:06 PM
First Class Cricketer

Brian Lara realises the crisis that we are in, however he also understands that we are really lacking in morale, hence our dismal performances, so what he said was generally to lift our spirits, especially after the thrashing South Africa gave us.:tiger: