facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 16, 2004, 10:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater
Default Developing young fast bowlers

I've been wondering how much profession coaching the likes of Tapash, Nazmul and Tareq got when they were younger. How they taught to bowl, if it came naturally or were really looked after, followed closely and moulded into the players they are today. How many Bangladeshi children would have that opportunity?

People have told me in recent times that when watching young children play cricket on the streets a lot of them throw the ball. It's well known that the resources in Bangladesh are not the best, but are the best resources really needed to teach people the general skills of fast bowling?

I remember when I was taught how to bowl professionally. I was nine years old and at a cricket camp at my club. I'm sure some of these must occur in Bangladesh. The teacher was Queensland fast bowled Joe Dawes. All he used was a ball to teach me. He went through the whole action step by step and got us to try it out. Didn't need million dollar nets, bowling machine, fancy clubhouse, all it needed was a couple of cricket balls and open space.

Why can't this be achieved in Bangladesh? Get the likes of Manjural Islam and Hasibul Hossain to get some kids together and give them a couple of lessons on fast bowling? It would be very effective and would no doubt help many young children develope into proper cricketers.

Bangladesh has fast bowlers who have been taught professionally and someone should tell them to pass on the skills, the earlier people learn the basic technique the easier it is to develop the other essentials skills such a pace and movement.

One problem that is evident in the national team is the inability to generate bounce. This is most likely due to playing on flat, low bouncing wickets for so long. In Australia, most cricketers between 13 and 16 years of age would have some experience of playing on turf but play about 85% of there cricket on synthetic wickets. If you were to go to nets around the country, virtually all would be made up of synthetic turf. It was on synthetic turf last year that I really learned how to bowl the bouncer and catch the batsman out with some bounce. Synthetic wickets are good for bounce and if Bangladesh can use a surface similar to these for the young children they could well grow up knowing how to generate bounce and that problem at the top level would be eradicated.

Basic technique teaching and bouncier wickets would do the world of good in developing the next generation of Mashrafe Mortaza's and maybe even a Glenn McGrath or two
Old September 17, 2004, 01:29 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well said James. You raise a few very interesting points. I think the age groups programs in Bangladesh have become very active. Every other day BCB has a camp for 13/15/17 year old promising players in all specialties. One thing of course that doesnot come across is the quality of these courses/camps. The quantity may very well be good, but its the quality of the camps (taught by knowledgeble coaches) that BCB needs to ensure. I remember McInnes saying there are not that many qualified coaches in Bangladesh. It is a point to consider. We need to make sure that there are adequate number of qualified people around who can effectively pass on the knowledge to our next generation of cricketers.
Old September 17, 2004, 05:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Pompous/H_f;

I have not followed the coaching for age group cricket in Bangladesh. There was time when I was in High School where school level cricket was very popular. Some of the schools in Dhaka had professional or semi-professional coaches. The school I went to in Dhaka even had camps where test cricketers ahowed us how to ball cutters, swingers, or even short-pitched bouncers. I am not making this up: our school team mentor (not fulltime) was Fernando from Sri Lanka. I know there was bowling camps and batting camps that used to be regular feature. Unfortunately, all the kids from those coaching never pursued cricket as a career. For example one of the batsman from our team who could play Fernando or the ballers of the calliber is a computer profesional in Texas. Another gentleman I know who was a natural swinger around 6' 3" in height has chose to become a doctor.

The reason I fight so hard against people who try to ridicule our test status or say we are not ready yet is because of the fact I have seen so many bright people deciding not to pursue cricket as a career because playing below test staus brings no glory. The brightest and the smartest play for the best. Unfortunately, BD never had a good cricket infrastructure. The talented ones never got a fair chance to showcase their abilities in a competitive league. Otherwise, BD could have got test status a decade earlier.
Old September 17, 2004, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Well in my opinion one of the biggest problems with Bangladesh and Pakistan is that fast bowlers from these countires originate in areas and situations where they are subject to very little, almost no technical training since childhood. That is why, once they come into the international scene, they either do not perform that well or get lost forever.

I believe that, with technical training from the age of 8 or 9, these talents will not go astray as they are today.
Old September 17, 2004, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Look at Mashrafe - not fit enough (physically) for international cricket. Why? Excessive bowling in the international arena that was not backed up by proper physical training from an early age.

Same goes to Sharif.

Look at Mohammad Zahid. Once the fastest bowler in the world, now inconsistent. Why? Most probably because he was picked up from the streets one day when he was in his late teens and made to play for a Quad-e-Azam team. With no technical training from an early age, this bloke wasn't able to make a permanent mark in the international arena.

Same goes to so many other Pakistanis who come and go just like that.
Old September 17, 2004, 01:58 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

@AsifTheManRahman - Well having heard your and some other points in this thread i can conclude that we will NOT have any good consistent bowlers in recent times. We will however get good bowlers and also batsmen some 10 years later. Having a good age categorized cricket now with proffessional training and all. So we can actually homegrow our cricketers to meet the international standards (please excuse my way of making the players look like products for the international market).

If thats the case we shudnt really be complaining abt all these... all the bad performance, all the humiliation... and at the same time we shudnt be playing international cricket either. I always personally thought and believed we got the full ICC membership a lot earlier than we had deserved but once up there with the big guys there is really little one can do... u HAVE TO PERFORM or u bow out. And we havent performed (looking over some nearly good performances - very rare ones).

I wud completely support ICCs decision if they ever decide to strip us off our test status and also the ODI status but with a promise that we will be given back the status in 10 years time when we can return as equals with the rest of the top class.

The amount of money that is being spent on BD cricket team is ridiculous now... for country that goes around the whole world begging for aid cannot afford to spend on such a bad investment on such a constant basis.

Flood er somoi england e niye giye players der ke settle down korar shujog kore labh ta ki hoise? nada... it never helped us to prepare early... Dav cant do anything with the players we have... batsman ra batting kortei pare na... They have absolutely NO CLUE when to play what shot... 90% of the top order doesnt have footwork. Only a handful of the bowlers perform... ACTUALLY only the bowling department is somewhat ok... still not up there to be glorified... i will admit there has been sudden and unexpected sparks of brilliance here and there but rarely any consistency... i think rafique has a higher average in recent games than half of the top orders summed together... its a SHAME!

Its about time the whole system is given a shake... maybe the cricket team shud be cut off from all funds and all... they are govt paid players... so start showing performance... i know its hard for the players... but really dont u all think they are given a lot of chances to improve... atleast I think so...

Edited on, September 17, 2004, 7:11 PM GMT, by radicalsami.
Reason: typo
Old September 17, 2004, 06:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Shape up or ship out!

Quote:
Originally posted by Habibul_fan

Bangladesh has fast bowlers who have been taught professionally and someone should tell them to pass on the skills, the earlier people learn the basic technique the easier it is to develop the other essentials skills such a pace and movement.

One problem that is evident in the national team is the inability to generate bounce. This is most likely due to playing on flat, low bouncing wickets for so long. In Australia, most cricketers between 13 and 16 years of age would have some experience of playing on turf but play about 85% of there cricket on synthetic wickets. If you were to go to nets around the country, virtually all would be made up of synthetic turf. It was on synthetic turf last year that I really learned how to bowl the bouncer and catch the batsman out with some bounce. Synthetic wickets are good for bounce and if Bangladesh can use a surface similar to these for the young children they could well grow up knowing how to generate bounce and that problem at the top level would be eradicated.

Basic technique teaching and bouncier wickets would do the world of good in developing the next generation of Mashrafe Mortaza's and maybe even a Glenn McGrath or two
Thanks Habibul_fan. This is one of the most important piece of literature I've read about developing potential pace bowlers in Bangladesh. Because the whole idea is pretty sustainable. How much would it cost to prepare an synthetic turf? If we take Ian Whitechurch's suggestion ( feet and a half concrete base with 3 to 5 inch hard soil on top of it) then it would be roughly 5000 taka (50 quids, 80 USD)? May be less.

Another thing. BCB really needs to be pro-active and sincere about developing cricket to International standard in Bangladesh. Now few people started questioning about Dav and other foreign back-room stuff's sincerity. The simple answer is if the employer is clueless about it's role then the employees would certainly take heavy advantage of it. Apparently BCB can't do or think anything unless been told by ICC or suggested by someone else! What a sorry bunch of brainless tossers! For example, when Srilanka opted to cancel BD tour for playing tests and Triangular ODIs in Pakistan, I have no problem with that for the shake of South-Asian solidarity, why didn't they (BCB) ask for a visiting Srilanka A team (which is pretty strong as they beat all the English county team they played) instead, giving valid reasons of the development of young cricketers in BD?
Just before and after gaining test status SriLanka and SriLanka A team used to play against Tamilnadu Ranji team in regular basis. Untill recently Zimbabwe team has been connected with South African domestic league. I know, to run a cricket board logistics and finances are allways going to be important issues, hence sending A team to foreign countries isn't always a practical option. But when there is a chance, why don't they take it with both hands? Why they are not analytical or learn from other countries' experience ( SriLanka & Zimbabwe are relevent here)? Why can't they arrange national cricket league efficiently? How difficult is it to be little bit innovative to arrange tournaments (4 days) involvoing Bangladesh A team, national league champion, West Bengal Ranji team & Assam ranji team (Geographycally close) ? It's slowly getting depressing , to be honest.

Can someone send this article to BCB please, if they are still awake!
Old September 17, 2004, 07:35 PM
Cricket Legend

amar mone hoi boler akhon tao dui akta ase. i think we should start on "developing young batsmans"