facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 22, 2004, 11:41 AM
Cricket Sage

Default When your name is Islam, or Mohammed, then watch out before you fly to USA

We have to question how effective are those so called "no-fly-list" when even Bob Dole was in the list.

Cat Stevens Held After Flight Diverted

U.S. security officials yesterday diverted a Washington-bound United Airlines flight and detained Yusuf Islam, formerly known as the pop singer Cat Stevens, after discovering that he had been allowed to board the plane in London even though he was on the government's no-fly list.

Islam was questioned in Bangor, Maine, by Customs and Border Protection agents. Dennis Murphy, spokesman for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, said Islam is scheduled to be deported today on a flight to Europe. "He is being detained on national security grounds," Murphy said. He declined to elaborate.

Islam recorded 12 albums before abandoning his singing career in the late 1980s after he converted to Islam. He drew criticism in the late 1980s after he publicly supported Ayatollah Khomeini's death edict against author Salman Rushdie. After the terrorist attacks in 2001, Islam said he would donate profits from his CD box set to families of the victims of the attacks.

-----------------------

Details: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Sep21.html

Old September 22, 2004, 12:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Any one who has followed Cat Stevens post conversion would know how unfair this no-fly ban is. Just goes to show what sort of a national security operation the US is running. Sigh!
Old September 22, 2004, 12:44 PM
Club Cricketer

who cares what USA does... simple solution is dont go to USA
Old September 22, 2004, 01:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

"who cares what USA does... simple solution is dont go to USA" -- easier said than done. Although I don't live in the US, I had to travel frequently for business. Unfortunately, I have been a victim as well. On new year's eve last year, I was on a no-fly list and Boston police was called on me. The airline was embarassed about the whole affair and kept repeating that it could happen to people with a name like Peter as well. I managed to keep up my smile through out the ordeal and eventually was let off after Boston police did a search on my name for about an hour. Nontheless, probably it was not fair as I missed my flight. As a result after some deliberation I quit that job.
Old September 22, 2004, 01:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

P.S. The name is not restricted to Islam or Mohammed. There is a stupid software that scans through all passenger lists at a given airport and creates that list. Anything that sounds "funny" is a potential hit.
Old September 22, 2004, 02:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
who cares what USA does... simple solution is dont go to USA
Well. Some of us live here ok. And it works both ways too.
Old September 22, 2004, 09:19 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

hay, i'm getting scared now. my name has BOTH mohammad and islam. and i'm planning to fly this january to home. can someone plz give me some more fact about this no fly list and staff, and what kind of situation i might have to face?
Old September 23, 2004, 01:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Cat Stevens was an awesome singer. Bit off the topic but he was
Old September 23, 2004, 09:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Agent;

I don't think there is any real fear. Really, there is no formula. If you are religious, ayatul qursi 3 bar poray rouna deben.

I hope that helps.