facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 22, 2015, 06:22 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Bangladesh a ‘depressing country now’

Quote:
Bangladesh is the third most depressing place to live on earth, a recent survey says.

The Positive Experience Index, carried out by US-based research firm Gallup in 2014, measured emotions of residents in 143 countries, and came to the conclusion.

Read More: DailyStar >>

Old March 22, 2015, 06:32 AM
Test Cricketer

What's your point?
Old March 22, 2015, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Melb
What's your point?
What's yours?

An interesting survey report relevant to Bangladesh was published and which has strong correlation to the current dysfunctional political environment, and you ask what;s your point.

Seriously.
Old March 22, 2015, 08:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

If those strange questions were put to the Scandinavians, Germans, Japanese, Polish, Spanish, Italian, Greeks, Romanians or the Brits I can assure you about 70% would have answered in the negative. I tell this from my personal dealing with these people.

This gallup poles are usually loaded, twisted and -most often than not- carries exterior motives. Interestingly, 6 of those countries listed above are muslim majority countries. I think USA has the highest post-retirement suicide rate. Scandinavia usually is very high on suicide, too. Does it not make them more depressive than Sudan, Turkey or Bangladesh. Its very interesting that they have Turkey there. I would have never guessed that Turkey would be so high on depression. My experience of Turkiye and her people is totally different. And, I have a close relationship with Turkish community both living in Europe and in Turkey.

Bangladesh is definitely not a 'rose garden' but I could think of many other countries topping that list before us!
Old March 22, 2015, 11:28 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
If those strange questions were put to the Scandinavians, Germans, Japanese, Polish, Spanish, Italian, Greeks, Romanians or the Brits I can assure you about 70% would have answered in the negative. I tell this from my personal dealing with these people.

This gallup poles are usually loaded, twisted and -most often than not- carries exterior motives. Interestingly, 6 of those countries listed above are muslim majority countries. I think USA has the highest post-retirement suicide rate. Scandinavia usually is very high on suicide, too. Does it not make them more depressive than Sudan, Turkey or Bangladesh. Its very interesting that they have Turkey there. I would have never guessed that Turkey would be so high on depression. My experience of Turkiye and her people is totally different. And, I have a close relationship with Turkish community both living in Europe and in Turkey.

Bangladesh is definitely not a 'rose garden' but I could think of many other countries topping that list before us!
Well put.
Old March 22, 2015, 05:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan

I felt the same and seeing turkey there in the same rank with Bangladesh. Can't be a credible one, if these two are put together in depression index...

Nice post
Old March 25, 2015, 05:35 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

how i so much want to go back to that depressing country..
Old March 25, 2015, 07:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

i hate these kind of surveys!
Old March 25, 2015, 08:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
how i so much want to go back to that depressing country..
Same here. I miss my depressing country very very much. Wish I could go back

Didn't realize that you no longer live in Mirpur. Now who is going to share the match day weather forecast with us from the ground?
Old March 25, 2015, 05:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

sharakhon to dekhi tv ar FB e public birani polau khay, furti farta kore, selphie tuley, cake katey, noksha korey, check in marey, ei desher manush abar depression e 3rd hoy kemney, ajeira shob survey banay, koyek din agey abar bollo Bangladeshi people are the happiest.
epic phail
Old March 25, 2015, 05:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
sharakhon to dekhi tv ar FB e public birani polau khay, furti farta kore, selphie tuley, cake katey, noksha korey, check in marey, ei desher manush abar depression e 3rd hoy kemney, ajeira shob survey banay, koyek din agey abar bollo Bangladeshi people are the happiest.
epic phail
Lol Bangladeshi public are the most active on facebook. It's as if fb was made for them.
Old March 25, 2015, 09:55 PM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Same here. I miss my depressing country very very much. Wish I could go back

Didn't realize that you no longer live in Mirpur. Now who is going to share the match day weather forecast with us from the ground?
haha..just came to do my masters degree..after 2016 in sha allah i'll again give u guys all the updates u want form mirpur...pray for me
Old March 26, 2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
haha..just came to do my masters degree..after 2016 in sha allah i'll again give u guys all the updates u want form mirpur...pray for me
Nekre koi korteso? When did you arrive?
Old March 26, 2015, 06:05 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Nekre koi korteso? When did you arrive?
in Australia, Swinburne..arrived last july

Last edited by Night_wolf; March 26, 2015 at 07:22 AM..
Old March 26, 2015, 09:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

When I was reading the thread title I thought this would be a discussion about the aftermath of the World Cup loss!

Any country or place can be depressing if one is depressed. We should ignore such polls as like all surveys there are only based on a very small sample of people who they want to sample.
Old March 26, 2015, 09:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

At least we have our freedom to eat beef!
Old March 27, 2015, 11:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
... ei desher manush abar depression e 3rd hoy kemney, ajeira shob survey banay, koyek din agey abar bollo Bangladeshi people are the happiest.
epic phail
1st reaction. 2nd reaction after reading it two times. Then it sinks in. Poilitcs is a nasty thing.

Politics'er bangla holo Koot niti. Politicians'ra holo Koot niti beed. Ashol maney holo "kharap rules" and "kharap rules toiri korey" jei shob manush.
Old March 28, 2015, 10:05 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: will let you know after

Bullsh.t survey. BS

check this video out

Old March 28, 2015, 10:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

আমরা যদি এতই depressed হইতাম তাহলে আমাদের দেশের রিকশাওয়ালারা , cng ওয়ালারা , বাস ওয়ালারা, লঞ্চ ওয়ালারা, বিমান ওয়ালারা , ঠেলাগাড়ি ওয়ালারা ,ট্রেন ওয়ালারা , ভেন ওয়ালারা যাত্রী এবং মাল সামান নিয়া খাদ,নদী নালা ,পাহাড় ,পর্বত, ঘাস বালুতে পইরা আত্মহত্যা করত , আজেয়রা
Old March 28, 2015, 01:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
1st reaction. 2nd reaction after reading it two times. Then it sinks in. Poilitcs is a nasty thing.

Politics'er bangla holo Koot niti. Politicians'ra holo Koot niti beed. Ashol maney holo "kharap rules" and "kharap rules toiri korey" jei shob manush.
Diplomacy - কুটনীতি
Politics - রাজনীতি
Old March 30, 2015, 06:10 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

As the fashionable prose goes "Nationalism is stupid. Being proud of being born in one corner of a soil like being proud with a mole on one's cheek."

SCREW NATIONALISM. As long there will be this, this, this and this, Bangladesh will ALWAYS be the most depressing country in the universe.

WE fought for freedom of speech, and the very crux of the Shadinota was about repression, yet it is rearing its ugly head through various channels. Suddenly what "I" write, even now here on BC, is at my risk and not safe anymore.

But hey, those were minorities Islamophobe and in a majority driven populace we really shouldn't be worry about them.

Nice to see the outrage.
Old March 31, 2015, 12:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

I think freedom of speech is over rated. It doesn't really exist anywhere without having to face any consequences. Just ask people like Julian Assange and Edward Snowden in the West, and we all know big brother is always watching our every move and nobody can do anything about it. That's why almost everybody is afraid to voice their opinion on certain touchy issues that might invoke the ire of the authorities.

I think people should be allowed to express their thoughts as long as they don't enter the realm of hate speech. Banglacricket can be considered an exemplary microcosm. People are allowed to express their thoughts here as long as they don't attack others, their religion, race, et al. This is important to maintain civility.

I was more sympathetic to bloggers as relates to Shahbag until I read and learned about the blatant attack on key religious figures by SOME of them who were made out to be martyrs later on. Again I reiterate I'm not painting with a broad brush stroke here and I don't believe any random Kuddus, Jabbar should have the right to take laws into their own hands. I grew up in Bangladesh with many Hindu, Christian and Buddhist friends and hardly ever realized we belonged to different groups. Point I'm making is I always felt it was more about accommodating each others views not attacking them that has defined our culture and helped us live in harmony for centuries. That's what I've felt our founding fathers thrived for in their fight for freedom of speech. That meaning of freedom is being manipulated today and changing for the worse.
Old March 31, 2015, 05:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Freedom of speech is highly misused & misinterpreted. Just like every sensible person expects to leave the atheists or people with no religion/no faith free to do whatever they believe, the atheists should stop Abusing &'mocking the religions and faiths....

Well I know when a Muslim says this even many wanna be (Fashionable Muslim) atheists even start justifying those acts as freedom of speech...

Ok just listen to the pope what he said in phillipines yesterday, I guess most of those people will listen to the pope more than his own; as per pope, "If you make fun of any religion, you should be expecting retaliation" and that he said in connection with "Charlie Hebdo" case...I know west and their stooges will be tight lipped criticizing the pope. Had it been some Muslim saying this, he could even be arrested in many western countries...

I have read some of these blogs written by these guys, it's thoroughoy abusive & uncivilized to say the least...so any sensible person will expect retaliation. It's unfortunate that we have people who deliver such extreme abuses & also the people who can't but take extreme retaliatory action. For me both of these acts are extremes.

On top of that, most of these bloggers are aligned to BAL ...that maligns their intentions further.....

@Z...these things aren't unique to Bangladesh, it's all over the world now, more or less. So these don't affect general happiness of the people Human life is pretty cheap in 21st century..
Old March 31, 2015, 05:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

This is so hyperbolic to say a certain country by and large most depressed.

http://www.alternet.org/world/real-h...ern-war-terror

Now ask the family of the Shiite whose head was chopped 2 days ago by IS. Ask a Hutu in Rwanda. Or a Muslim in Myanmar. Or a Christian in PAK. Or the colleague of the nun who got raped in IND last month.

You cannot measure depression in terms of locality. Then Germany is the most depressed nation for last couple of days.
Old April 3, 2015, 05:39 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
epic phail
This post is interesting. What percent of the whole population of Bangladesh do you think actually use FB? Btw, I personally don't, I find it a tosh.