facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 5, 2004, 05:18 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Harkat-ul-Jehad has threatened Indian team

I got this from this site

http://www.cricketnext.com/news1/nex...004/rep147.htm

Anyone has any details about it?

Imran Khan
Old December 5, 2004, 07:04 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran
I got this from this site

http://www.cricketnext.com/news1/nex...004/rep147.htm

Anyone has any details about it?

Imran Khan

Bangladesh denies death threat. more>>

Source : NDTV
Old December 5, 2004, 08:47 AM
Retired BC Admin

Default India warned by extremists

Islamic extremists have threatened Indian cricketers with serious consequences if they go ahead with a tour of Bangladesh this week.

Indian high commissioner Veena Sikri revealed the threat was made in a letter sent to the embassy.

"Bangladesh foreign ministry has been informed about the threat from Harkat-ul-Jihad," Sikri said on Sunday.

Activists for the little-known radical organisation have been arrested in the past for attacking secular authors.

The group have threatened to kill the Indians to avenge the deaths of Muslims killed during communal riots in the Indian state of Gujarat in 2002.

More on BBC >>

Banglacricket vehemently condemns such threat.
Old December 5, 2004, 08:57 AM
Test Cricketer

India in Bangladesh, 2004-05

Islamic group threaten Indian cricketers

Cricinfo staff, December 5, 2004

A radical Islamic group has given death threats to Indian cricketers if they go ahead with their tour of Bangaldesh.

"We received a hand-written fax letter on Thursday from an Islamic group called Harkat-ul-Zihad, saying that Indian cricketers will be killed if they visit Bangladesh" Shaibal Roy Chowdhury, a spokesman at the high commission, is quoted as saying by the BBC. The Indian high commissioner, Veena Sikri, told Reuters: "the Bangladesh foreign ministry has been informed." Cricket authorities in both Indian and Bangladesh have also been told and the Bangladesh board have asked security to be tightened.

Source: http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/C...05DEC2004.html
Old December 5, 2004, 09:07 AM
Cricket Guru

This is ridiculous....Why they will kill players to fulfill their "destiny" ...why don't they go and do something with their enemy instead ....now India won't come and we won't play...
they have extremist(a/k/a terro..) all over the world, but even if India goes visit Pakistan they won't do that...where our country going I don't know
Old December 5, 2004, 09:28 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by SS
This is ridiculous....Why they will kill players to fulfill their "destiny" ...why don't they go and do something with their enemy instead ....now India won't come and we won't play...
they have extremist(a/k/a terro..) all over the world, but even if India goes visit Pakistan they won't do that...where our country going I don't know
why u r so...worried.... this may be a fake one also..
Old December 5, 2004, 09:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by nasifkhan
Quote:
Originally posted by SS
I hope it's fake, however, it has significant negative impacts
Old December 5, 2004, 09:58 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by nasifkhan
Yes this is probably quite fake..
very recently an odd trend in bd has been to call/email/fax to some authority n threaten to kill/bomb explode n cause havoc.

hence not a single one of the terrorist incidents that recently occured in BD had any sort of prior warning/threat.

all the warnings/threats were really to create panic only... none of them were executed..
the reason probably is that.. highly professional terrorist org's who can actually give an early warning.. n yet execute their plan.. doenst really exist in BD.. I guess there hasn't been any single occurance like that in this country yet !
Old December 5, 2004, 10:00 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Edited on, December 5, 2004, 3:05 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old December 5, 2004, 10:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

How did these morons learn how to operate a fax machine?
Old December 5, 2004, 10:24 AM
BC Editorial Team

How strong is this group ? Have they any past history of creating trouble ?
Old December 5, 2004, 10:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

This is the last thing that was needed for our country!! I will be happy (even the tour is postpond) if it will tell our politicians what they should do and what they should not do!!

India is behaving like NZ these days! They got something to postpond this tour which they wanted in my opinion. If England can tour Zimbabwe I don't understand why India cannot tour BD ... India is not an European country at least their social structure is almost similar to us ....
Old December 5, 2004, 11:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Blame it on India!

Why is it publicized before any investigation. I think this hoax is done by the Indian Government to give bad rep to BD. It's a conspiracy really!!

k kidding! no I am not!
Old December 5, 2004, 11:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
India is behaving like NZ these days! They got something to postpond this tour which they wanted in my opinion. If England can tour Zimbabwe I don't understand why India cannot tour BD ... India is not an European country at least their social structure is almost similar to us ....
This is a highly irresponsible statement.

I don't think England or New Zealand team got death threats from any Radical Islamic organisation. In that case, they won't even have second thoughts, i can assure you.

Also, the social structure being the same doesn't mean that the Indian Cricket Team is not susceptible to terrorist attacks or we care any less about any harm to our cricketers.

In all probabality, a team will be sent to BD to assess the security levels and will recommend that the tour should go on.

But to try and blame it on the Indian Cricket Board for reacting to the death threats is highly irresponsible.
Old December 5, 2004, 11:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Why is it publicized before any investigation. I think this hoax is done by the Indian Government to give bad rep to BD. It's a conspiracy really!!
Here comes the famous conspiracy theory and the conspiracists!!!

Does it ever occured to you the kind of damage that can happen if some harm was indeed caused to the visiting team?

People know that radical islamic groups, even if relatively less radical and less powerful than many other countries, do exist. What is being asked to assess here is not the presence of such groups, which almost every country has, but of their ability to carry out the threats.

The spin "Oh, it's a conspiracy of the Indian govt. to malign us" is exactly the kind of report that is needed to offend those responsible for giving the security clearance for this tour.
Old December 5, 2004, 11:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:

This is a highly irresponsible statement.

I don't think England or New Zealand team got death threats from any Radical Islamic organisation. In that case, they won't even have second thoughts, i can assure you.

Also, the social structure being the same doesn't mean that the Indian Cricket Team is not susceptible to terrorist attacks or we care any less about any harm to our cricketers.

In all probabality, a team will be sent to BD to assess the security levels and will recommend that the tour should go on.

But to try and blame it on the Indian Cricket Board for reacting to the death threats is highly irresponsible.
I think India has a rich tradition of pitch invation for political reasons. We do not have such experience yet. Don't mix politics with sports Big Brother!!
Old December 5, 2004, 11:53 AM
BC Editorial Team

Let us not jump into conclusions and assumptions yet. Please wait till more news comes in.
Old December 5, 2004, 11:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I think India has a rich tradition of pitch invation for political reasons.
Regardless of what you think, I'll prefer that anyday over killing or threating to kill. Thankfully, we don't have an ultra-rich tradition of threating to kill visiting sports dignitories.

Now, unless you are wearing some glasses of your choice and fail to see through, there is no politics here. It's all sports and security of sportsmen.
Old December 5, 2004, 12:11 PM
Banned

No doubt, this is yet another conspiracy to smear the image of BD. I apologize beforehand to all Indian cricket enthusiasts (all but Amit) who visit this web-site, but it has been for quite some time that the Indian psyche has been trying to adopt all things "White." To look down upon others is just part of the trend.
Old December 5, 2004, 12:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

We are really going overboard with the comments here.

We all know that India are very reluctant to tour BD. But that does not mean they will create false death threats just to call off the series. That is utterly ridiculus.

For all we know, the fax/letter was sent by one crazed lunatic. Let us hope that the whole thing was just a hoax.

At the end of the day, we all want to see some good cricket. Throwing around consipracy theories will not help anyone.
Old December 5, 2004, 12:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

Here is my 2 cents on the Harkatul-Jihad situation:

*Reward*

I pledge to pay ...*ahem*.. a princely sum of $50 to anyone who can find the true author the that letter/fax and publicly hang him.

note: well, I'd love to offer a million bucks, but as my financial situation remains dire, the winner of the challange will have to settle for fifty. Any one up for the challenge?
Old December 5, 2004, 12:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
but it has been for quite some time that the Indian psyche has been trying to adopt all things "White." To look down upon others is just part of the trend.
So the report that Indian Embassy recieving a hand-written fax from a radical islamic group is basically:

1. A conspiracy by India to smear the image of BD (and what it's gonna gain by that, god knows!!!)

2. The Indian psyche that is trying to adopt all things "White" (This is new and quite ingenious, i must admit)

3. The part of the trend to look down upon the others

In short, it is basically everything except for what it really is, a threat by an islamic outfit to kill Indian cricketers in revenge for Gujarat riots.

An interesting insight into the mindset that grips the people of Bangladesh today. Keep it coming guys.
Old December 5, 2004, 12:27 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Piranha
We are really going overboard with the comments here.

We all know that India are very reluctant to tour BD. But that does not mean they will create false death threats just to call off the series. That is utterly ridiculus.

For all we know, the fax/letter was sent by one crazed lunatic. Let us hope that the whole thing was just a hoax.

At the end of the day, we all want to see some good cricket. Throwing around consipracy theories will not help anyone.
Great and timely call, Piranha.

There are many things that happen in the name of cricket one way or the other that we the cricket fans are certainly not proud of regardless of our origin.

Lets not shoot each other on mere speculations. There are and there will be people to spoil and take the fun out of cricket all over the world. Lets not get carried away with this.

We love cricket and we like to keep it that way.
Old December 5, 2004, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Here's to cricket and to goodwill between people. Whether a hoax or not - this news item will garner lots of press and doublethinks - but I expect the tour to go on.

Remember the Pakistanis toured India in 1999 inspite of the death threats by Hindu fundamentalists and the digging up of picthes. India wen ahead and toured Pakistan recently inspite of all the security concerns.

Let the games begin - we may be outclassed but am hoping we give them a good fight.

Edited on, December 5, 2004, 6:20 PM GMT, by Zunaid.
Old December 5, 2004, 01:58 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree.

Hoax or no hoax, the tour will go on. There is a protocol to be followed vis-a-vis security arrangements, and that is exactly what is being done.

I am sure that Bangladesh is safer to tour than many countries including Sri Lanka (with LTTE problem) and Pakistan and i also believe that the tour should go on even if there is a percieved threat. At the same time, those threats, hoax or not, should be taken seriously and we should all be prepared.

Zunaid,

Just a minor correction; there was NO death threat to any Pakistan cricketer or team. The threats were of disrupting the game and of threatening to NOT let the Pakistan team play on a specific ground (Mumbai). Just to keep it factual.