facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 17, 2004, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Default Comment thread:BD vs Ind 2nd Test at Chittagong

Place for more detailed commentary and analysis - stuff that gets lost in the chat like environment of the Match Thread
Old December 17, 2004, 12:25 AM
Administrator

On Bowlers

Mashrafee - he is definitely pick of the lot. Good pace and bowling extremely intelligently. Pitching mostly in the zone and compensating for a pitch losing life rapidly.

Nazmul - Overawed by the occasion? Doesn't seem to be generating much pace.

Talha - seems very rusty. Bowling too much on the off. Easy pickings.

Rafique - the master is very unlucky. Getting the ball to do god stuff on this lifeless pitch.

Dropped Catches

One real drop. The one Rana dropped off of Rafique's first ball. He was standing up! And his eyes were no where on the ball. Very disappointing from a better fielder.

Aftab fielding

A magnificent athletic attempt saving a 4. These under-19 players seem to be very fit and athletic.

Mashrafee Scare

The ball bounced and hit him right on the knee - the knee that was operated on. My heart was in my mouth. A bit of a bad bounce and a bit of a bat fielding.

Captaincy

Bad field placement. Getting Mashrafee overworked. Should switch ends. Can't seem to work out left-hand right-hand left-hand combinations for proper field placement.
Old December 17, 2004, 12:39 AM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Zunaid
Getting Mashrafee overworked.
Bashar needs to change the 6+ over spells from all the pacers at any stage. 3 overs at one time is the best. 4 overs are the maximum in a spell and should be tried on rare ocassions only.

What could I say, is Masri stupid or unlucky? Still fielding with leg? He needs to sit down and talk to his mother for a very basic lesson.
Old December 17, 2004, 01:29 AM
Banned

Right, Chinaman. Y'know, he was never injured during his bowling action. It's always in the followthrough, or some other freak accdient, i.e. stepping on the ball, falling while skipping...
Old December 17, 2004, 01:36 AM
Cricket Legend

wasim akram's half time lesson on how to stand in the slips was hopefully playing in the bangladesh dressing room so the likes of bashar and rana can learn something. rana was not even ready for that ball!

bangladesh fielding is better relatively speaking. but captaincy continues to attract criticism - the commentators have been poining out a lot of things about bashar.
Old December 17, 2004, 02:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
attract criticism - the commentators have been poining out a lot of things about bashar.
For those of us less fortunate, could someone please elaborate on what the commentators are saying about Bashar? i.e. what is he doing wrong?
Old December 17, 2004, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Mostly about field plcement.

Not being able to set proper field for left-hand batsmen/bowler combination.

Using a gully when doesn't seem necessary.

Not being authoritative enough - comms were all praise for Mashud's attitude.
Old December 17, 2004, 02:53 AM
Cricket Legend

To start another whining opportunity, i think pilot should never have been changed. They made a big deal of whatever he did in the last WC. That was a bunch of hypocrisy. Anyway, our captains always have a steep learning curve.

Another point on placement - mashrafee was forced to go 40-50 yards between each ball when the left/right combo switched. And this while we was in between his own overs - he was needlessly getting tired before coming on to bowl. So stuff like that.

Bangladesh's spinners aren't getting any turn whatsover and Rana was never a great bowler to begin with. I don't knwo why Asgraful or Aftab isn't used to see if something different can happen!

This Chittagong wicket always sucks - they should stop playing here as it is always bad news for us.
Old December 17, 2004, 03:23 AM
Banned

I say, free Bashar of this captaincy burden, he will start performing better with the bat..
Old December 17, 2004, 05:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
This Chittagong wicket always sucks - they should stop playing here as it is always bad news for us.
Probably this is the last test match played in M A Aziz stadium. ICC has announced the newly built stadium located in Sagarika, Chittagong as a new venue for test cricket.
Old December 17, 2004, 05:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

So the problem is wicket! Thanks god.
Old December 17, 2004, 06:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Talha and Nazmul were bowling maximum on stumps, slip fielders were there and on side was not protected, Shacin and Dravid did no mistake but Bashar did…
Old December 17, 2004, 06:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
So the problem is wicket! Thanks god.
bd should score around 300 runs.....
Old December 17, 2004, 06:18 AM
Test Cricketer

As per cycle, this time batting performance would relatively be better as bowling failed to get marks…
Old December 17, 2004, 07:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
With the exception of Mashrafe Mortaza – who toiled manfully again with wretched back-up – Mohammad Ashraful and Habibul Bashar, when not in Happy Hooker mode, no one in this Bangladesh team would be invited to carry drinks for a Pura Cup side, or even a top-notch Ranji Trophy outfit.
Quote:
Whatmore may feel that he has a Sleeping Beauty on his hands, but in the eyes of the rest of the world, she's more of an Ugly Sister.
Source: cricinfo

Edited on, December 17, 2004, 12:33 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
Old December 17, 2004, 07:46 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

So true.......I completely agree with that article.
Old December 17, 2004, 08:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

The amount of criticism Bd captains seem to gather is unbelievable. I think BD should consider not having a captain altogether. They can have Whatmore decide game plans. I have noticed in the past that BD captains fail to assess their situation in the field and always fail to take advantage of a situation. Besides, press conferences are pretty much the same story where Whatmore requests people to have more patience. whatmore speaks better than Bashar or anyone in the current team. So...!
Old December 17, 2004, 10:19 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
With the exception of Mashrafe Mortaza – who toiled manfully again with wretched back-up – Mohammad Ashraful and Habibul Bashar, when not in Happy Hooker mode, no one in this Bangladesh team would be invited to carry drinks for a Pura Cup side, or even a top-notch Ranji Trophy outfit.
Interesting that he missed the most accomplished player from his list.. And that is Rafique...

So the question is, does the writer knows what he is talking...?

Edited on, December 17, 2004, 3:21 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old December 17, 2004, 10:25 AM
Cricket Sage

So far Rana completely disapointed me with his bowling and fielding. I thought he was a bowler first all-rounder. It will be very hard for him to stick to the team only with batting only; unless he continues to perform well like the 1st test.

Edited on, December 17, 2004, 3:26 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old December 17, 2004, 10:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Rana was the best BD batsmen in the 1st test. His bowling was never test standard .... I like him in the team as a 6th batsman who can bowl little bit. If he fails with bat he might lose his place.
Old December 17, 2004, 10:34 AM
Banned

Sehwag only contributed 10 of those 334 runs...
Old December 17, 2004, 10:45 AM
Cricket Sage

This is the first time I watched Talha bowling. Obviously not ready for Prime Time yet!

The positive side is he is very well built in Bangladeshi standard and as fast as Mashrafee.

Think about the posibilties in future: Completely recovered Mashrafee, always reliable Tapash and more polished Talha in FB friendly wicket.

Plus we have Rafique, Rajjak and Jr.

Not Bad at all!!!
Old December 17, 2004, 10:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

All right more records coming up as ordered......:cool2:
Old December 17, 2004, 11:04 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Interesting that he missed the most accomplished player from his list.. And that is Rafique...

So the question is, does the writer knows what he is talking...?

Edited on, December 17, 2004, 3:21 PM GMT, by Fazal.
He definately knows what he's talking about. I can only add 2 players in addition to his quality BD player list- Rafiq, Nafis (god knows what will happen if defeat syndrome gets him) and maybe Alok, when in good form)
Old December 17, 2004, 05:12 PM
Cricket Legend

another point that keeps coming up is what exactly is a coach's role while the game is ongoing. eg field placements - he is able to watch and make suggestions to the captain over drinks or at the lunch/tea breaks. Somehow I don't think it happens, and that field placement in general is emphasized as much as the basics of batting, fielding, bowling. just a hunch. I think a coach of whatmore's status and knowledge with a team that is struggling as much as it is calls for a more hands-on approach. after all he wanted full control with the job, didn't he? those press conference rah-rah speeches is not cutting it anymore.