facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 20, 2004, 11:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Default The real test

With test-Series against India over, the real test for Bangladesh as a test-team, Dave Whatmore as a coach, Ashraful as the new star on the horizon and Mashrafe as the new pace sensation will be the test series against Zimbabwe.

Against India, BD team had everything to gain and nothing to lose. A dismal performance would've been taken as normal, anything better than that as an improvement and the kind of fight that Bangladesh showed, as inspirational. This depite all the falterings.

Against Zimbabwe, the scenario would be in complete contrast. BD will suddenly be ina different shoe altogether. They will be playing a team that can be described as the second rung within Zimbabwe itself and nowhere in terms of any credentials whatsoever. Suddenly, Bangladesh are the overwhelming favourites. The emergence of Rafique, Mashrafe and Ashraful means suddenly the expectations are higher.

The motivation should be even higher considering that BD is seeking it's first test win.

The good-performance, even if in parts, has got people to stand up and take notice. The scrutiny will be intense. This is a full strength BD side.

With this package comes the hidden baggage - the fear of losing to a lowly-rated team. The real test for Bangladesh team would be in coping with that fear. There would be a monitoring the performance of all three - Rafique, Mashrafe and Ashraful against Zimbabwe to see how they cope when the odds are so overwhelmingly in their favour.

It's a different ball-game to bowl or bat when "You have nothing to lose" and another thing when you have "everything to lose". How well coach Dave Whatmore has prepared his disciples for this event will answer many a questions and raise a few too.

Suddenly, the spotlight has (and quite deservedly) shifted to one nation that had started with big hopes but has been in news for all the wrong reasons since.

And for the first time in as long as i can recall, they are favourites and tipped to make headlines for good reasons.

Good luck Bangladesh.
Old December 20, 2004, 11:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Thanks DJ. Front page material.

I am a very optimistic person. But all my gut is telling me that BD won't be able to handle this mentally. The Z series will show us whether we really don't deserve test status. It can't prove that we do if we win. But it can prove that we don't if we lose.
Old December 20, 2004, 12:26 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't think Bangladesh is overwhelming favorites against Zimbabwe. Their win record against us and their rankings ahead of us are the main reasons I say this. Their current team, albeit poor, does have a few members from the last full-strength side. I don't have all their results at my fingertips, but they have perhaps won an ODI or two, or at least put up good scores against quality opposition. Bangladesh have done nothing this year except the draws in Zimbabwe and the Windies, and this week's 2 days of battle against India.

So I think the odds are pretty balanced - the two worst sides in Test cricket - nothing more and nothing less. It will be a mistake for Bangladesh to get psyched out by thinking they are overwhelming favorites. They should see themselves as underdogs and just go out ready to fight hard.

I think it will be a very close series, not a whitewash either way. But Bangladesh will come out on top because it is time.
Old December 20, 2004, 12:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

I agree, the Zimbabwe series will not at all be easy for us. Yes, they are much weaker than the other 8 test teams, but I am not sure we are favorites. May be we are slightly better than their current make up. But the actual games will answer that.

As a matter of fact, it is a no-win situation for us. If we win our first test against Zim that would be nice because we need the first win. But there will always be the critics pointing that the Zimbabwe team was weak. And think about the other scenario. What if we lose? That would be very bad, needless to say. Please don' t think I am thinking negatively, I am just painting the different scenarios as I see them.
Old December 20, 2004, 12:45 PM
Banned

DJ here conspiring to mentally overwhelm BD.

....no, just kiddin'

Still, Zim is no cakewalk. We have a history of botching everything.
Old December 20, 2004, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
I am a very optimistic person. But all my gut is telling me that BD won't be able to handle this mentally.
That's what I'm afraid of, too. Just look at our records vs. Kenya. Or what about defeat vs. Canada in 2003 World Cup?
Old December 20, 2004, 02:04 PM
Cricket Legend

"Their win record against us and their rankings ahead of us are the main reasons I say this."

That is from the legacy of Heath Streak era when Zimbabwe side was highly competitive.

"Their current team, albeit poor, does have a few members from the last full-strength side."

I don't think there is ANY. Some fringe player, maybe. But no regular palyer of their full-strength side unless someone is making a comeback. Atleast that wasn't true until the last internaional game that Zimbabwe played.

"I don't have all their results at my fingertips, but they have perhaps won an ODI or two, or at least put up good scores against quality opposition. "

They have won only 2 ODIs in their last 20 played, both against Bangladesh in Zimbabwe. They lost one too, to Bangladesh, in the same series.

"Bangladesh have done nothing this year except the draws in Zimbabwe and the Windies, and this week's 2 days of battle against India."

BD have shown enough sparks to raise expectations and hopes. BD have atleast 3 top-class players as against none so far for Zimbabwe.

Yes, BD shouldn't get psyched out. And that's what i meant by the real test. The ability to keep things in perspective and not fall victim to your own fears.

Like it or not, Bangladesh, in my opinion, are the favourites for this series.
Old December 20, 2004, 02:19 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

The current Zimbabwe team is a talented and determined bunch. Believe me, they will come at us from the word go. They nay be young and inexperienced but they will not let go with out a tough fight. They have a lot to prove and are desperate to prove it. Their preparations (coming to India a month ahead!) should give us a clue. There is no room for complacency whatsoever. i hope our boys donot make that mistake. It would be great if there is a practise match beforehand just to assess the Zimbos ability in Bangladeshi conditions. Having said that, Zimbo A toured us last year and lost both the FC and oneday fixtures. But they did manage to score heavily, except our boys scored even heavier!!!
I firmly believe, we are the favourites going into the series, even if Heath Streak were to come back. Its up to the boys to justify their favourites tag.
Old December 20, 2004, 02:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

BD will comprehensively win the Test series...mark my word. About ODI series, the result might go either way, since BD is a very weak link in one day version of cricket.
Old December 20, 2004, 03:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The emergence of Rafique, Mashrafe and Ashraful means suddenly the expectations are higher.
One small correction. No emergence here =Rafique was always there. Interesting article DJ, but I think it will be a close call especially if Streak plays.
Old December 20, 2004, 04:27 PM
Club Cricketer

I have a feeling that it will be BD's firs test win. I hope they do. I cant wait to for that series...first tests in on 7th January.
Old December 20, 2004, 06:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

heath streak may be back...anyone know of any news on him...he single handedly destroyed us last feb/march.

the new zim team will be a challenge, even if only because BD is expected to win...i think a white wash is very much on the books and would be great.
Old December 20, 2004, 06:52 PM
Cricket Guru

why u guys jumping so much..plzzzz be patient...heath streak and others may be back last time I heard he will play for free or something like that ...not sure when the source was published..it was in cricinfo...
if Grant flowrs, Streak, and other w hite players come back..it won't be easy remember last time they played with us but then they had that problem..who knows if Zimb board again calls them and tell them just to face us.

Edited on, December 20, 2004, 11:52 PM GMT, by SS.
Old December 20, 2004, 07:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Pressure is on "US"- Zimbabwe has nothing to lose and so they will produce a fighting spirit- we have all the pressure on us becoz 1) its a home series 2) Zimbabwe is a very young and inexperienced team 3) we are the favorites to win the series!
I am hoping to see good performances from all the players, not just Ashraful- the other players needs to show the talent they were chosen to be in the team. Bowlers did perform well althroughout the series, but i want another two support bowlers for Rafique and Mashrafee- lets hope Tapash can come back with a bang. I think he bowled well against the Zim batsmen in their home series earlier this year!
Old December 20, 2004, 09:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Who ever loses this series doesnt deserve test status
Old December 21, 2004, 01:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

Zimbabwe bowlers, even though inexperienced and unknown, looked a class act during their recent ODI series against England. It was only the great batting depth of England that allowed them to race ahead during the slog overs.

For all the hype, Irfan Pathan was averaging 42 runs per wicket before this test series. After the two tests were over, Pathan now averages 27 runs per wicket. BD batsmen have made Irfan Pathan look like a bowling superstar and I am sure Pathan will take full advantage of this new found superstardom.Considering that Bangladesh batting is so shaky, I will not be too surprised if BD batsmen make a star out of Panyangara or one of his obscure bowling colleagues.

Edited on, December 21, 2004, 6:32 AM GMT, by cricketfan.
Old December 21, 2004, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

we will lose...koto taka bet lagben?
Old December 21, 2004, 06:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
With test-Series against India over, the real test for Bangladesh as a test-team, Dave Whatmore as a coach, Ashraful as the new star on the horizon and Mashrafe as the new pace sensation will be the test series against Zimbabwe.

Against India, BD team had everything to gain and nothing to lose. A dismal performance would've been taken as normal, anything better than that as an improvement and the kind of fight that Bangladesh showed, as inspirational. This depite all the falterings.

Against Zimbabwe, the scenario would be in complete contrast. BD will suddenly be ina different shoe altogether. They will be playing a team that can be described as the second rung within Zimbabwe itself and nowhere in terms of any credentials whatsoever. Suddenly, Bangladesh are the overwhelming favourites. The emergence of Rafique, Mashrafe and Ashraful means suddenly the expectations are higher.

The motivation should be even higher considering that BD is seeking it's first test win.

The good-performance, even if in parts, has got people to stand up and take notice. The scrutiny will be intense. This is a full strength BD side.

With this package comes the hidden baggage - the fear of losing to a lowly-rated team. The real test for Bangladesh team would be in coping with that fear. There would be a monitoring the performance of all three - Rafique, Mashrafe and Ashraful against Zimbabwe to see how they cope when the odds are so overwhelmingly in their favour.

It's a different ball-game to bowl or bat when "You have nothing to lose" and another thing when you have "everything to lose". How well coach Dave Whatmore has prepared his disciples for this event will answer many a questions and raise a few too.

Suddenly, the spotlight has (and quite deservedly) shifted to one nation that had started with big hopes but has been in news for all the wrong reasons since.

And for the first time in as long as i can recall, they are favourites and tipped to make headlines for good reasons.

Good luck Bangladesh.

again, a good yorker from you...... hitting the middle stump neatly..
Old December 21, 2004, 06:32 AM
Test Cricketer

may the talent is not there with zimbabway, no experience, etc.. but they have full heart, enthusiasam, spirit and more over fighting spirit. give them time, they can beat some of test nations

Edited on, December 21, 2004, 11:33 AM GMT, by vv_sunil.