facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 28, 2005, 12:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Pissed off fans invent New Style Cricket in BD!

Interesting new style of Cricket has been introduced by local sports clubs & sponsored by a Steel Mill Co. in a rather remote district of Jhalakathi. The core-concept of the whole arrangement is to discourage lofted over-boundary shots and fully encourage groundshots which reach the boundary! (Source:see today's Ittefaq.)

Game Rules
7 players per side
12 overs per innings
Only scoring option: hit boundary by ground-shots (4)
No running (no 1’s/2’s/3’s)
If you hit over-boundary(6) you r ‘Out’!
*1 Bowler can bowl 3 overs max on a side.
**27 local teams r participating in knock-out league pattern.

The Idea probably emerged from the tendency of our current top level players to try to loft the balls too very often without reason! However, the tournament was inaugurated by the local DC and in the opening day 2 matches were played while the arrangement turned out to be a huge success, keeping good number of people in the local stadium till 11Pm at night!!

The sole organizer eventually was a local coach who was trained in BCB.
I would say very much contextual & enthusiastic thing to watch!
INTERESTING INVENSION!

Old January 28, 2005, 12:37 AM
Cricket Legend

In my hometown Bombay (Mumbai), we play "Box Cricket".

Essentially, the box has the dimension of the pitch. Any aerial shot that flies out of the box is an OUT.

The bolwing is under-arm (under-arm spin).
Old January 28, 2005, 12:43 AM
Banned

Awesome stuff. Improvised cricket at its best. How about carpet cricket - learning how to cope against fast and tremendous spin off a carpet from an under-arm delivery.

My School captain once had me over at his place where I practiced that on tennis balls. An amazing improvement it brought to reflexes and ability to negate very close range fielders. I was n.o. the next day in our match where there were 2 back-up spinners from Bro Union to contend with.
Old January 28, 2005, 12:55 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Now let our national players join this tournament and see how long they survive!
Old January 28, 2005, 01:16 AM
Test Cricketer

ashraful should be given break from nat'l squad for a few months so that he can play in that tournament.
Old January 28, 2005, 04:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

It shows another great thing as well... and that is how far deep-rooted has Cricket got into the country!

High enthusiasms even in the farthest parts of the nation all-over...
Old January 28, 2005, 05:40 AM
Cricket Legend

This is very much encouraging effort from the Coach. This will surely help to build up the habit of positive hitting. But by practicing this way they should not forget about the picking up of 1s, 2s and 3s.
Old January 28, 2005, 06:16 AM
Club Cricketer

Jhalkathi, one of the southernmost tip in Bangladesh. If they can master 27 teams to start this great format, I have hope the day is not far when we would cheer our team around the globe.
Keep it up, if one coach can achieve this think 64 coaches in all those districts and people we have.
I had a discussion about the potential of our cricket with one of my collegue who happens to be an Aussie, and told him we got 140 million people to choose our team, He told me that China have a billion but that does not mean they can play cricket. Hope our boys would learn to play in the right way from the early life.
Old January 28, 2005, 09:09 AM
Cricket Legend

the idea is good but with some problems... Sam points out... no 1s, 2s or 3s... the rule shud be... if it is in the air... its out... but u r aloud to take those runs (this is how Bradman played... he kept the ball on the ground)
Old January 28, 2005, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

yeah, they might forget the whole art of rotating the strike

i remember playing under similar rules a lot as a kid - both in school and at home. we were allowed to take singles though. the sole reason why big hitting was discouraged was the unavailability of balls (the fear that we may have to stop playing if it gets lost, and the owner may have to lose 20 bucks). Good old days....*sigh*
Old January 28, 2005, 11:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

naa.. it doesn't sound that bad!

sounds like 20-20 cricket or something... where encouraging strokeplays seems to be the mood.

Only difference-play groundshots!.. thats even better, when BD suicidal batting is concerned!

but there can be another form of this same game... where 1's/2's/3's will be the only way of scoring.. that will also be interesting practice!
Old January 28, 2005, 01:17 PM
Cricket Legend

It could be a combination of both boundaries and singles(1, 2 & 3), provided the ball should be dropped within an oval , surrounding the pitch and very closer to it. That will make the game competitive and worthy for real cricket.