facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 15, 2005, 07:35 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default The future of bd cricket lies in the english county!

We need @ least one of our playes playing in the english county compition (The best domestic compitition along with the Australian compition 'Pura cup').

This would :

A: Improve the player and make him adept with english conditions which favours swing and on some grounds sharp spin with bounce.

B: IF that player comes back to bd and playes in the domestic compition he can feed his knlowdge onto the players by playing with/against them.

C: The player can alos benifit him self by earning some extra cash.

Insteed of hireing expensive coaches which last 2 months the bd cricket board should contact an english county to work something out.

-Michale Clarke (the young dashing Aus batsmen was picked for the Aus test team not for his pura cup efforts but for his 3 centuries in the english county under hard conditions).

:fanf lag:
Old February 15, 2005, 07:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
the young dashing Aus batsmen was picked for the Aus test team not for his pura cup efforts but for his 3 centuries in the english county under hard conditions
Did not know this before. Thanks for sharing a Aussie secret.
Old February 15, 2005, 08:57 AM
Test Cricketer

I wouldn't go so far as to say the future lies in County but it sure would help a lot.
Old February 15, 2005, 11:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

agreed...county cricket can help out our young cricketers....
Old February 15, 2005, 11:25 AM
Street Cricketer

Default club cricket

There is alot of truth in what 'Islam' has raised here. However, I don't think any of the bangladeshi cricketers are ready for 1st class cricket in England & more importantly I don't think any of the counties will go for them. Counties tend to go for either, S Africans, Aussies, N Zealanders or Zimbabweans, they are more suited to the conditions therefore likely to succeed. Only established test players from asian countries play in the county championship e.g. Tendulkar, Dravid...proven at the top level.
However, Bangladeshi players can attempt to play in the 'Premier' club competitions. This will do 2 things: give the solid expereince required for playing in england and importantly allow the cricketers to earn some money. I think Bashar played for Abahani in London some years ago (prior to bangladesh gaining test status). Many of the established test & one-day players started off in the Lancashire and Surrey leagues. I played against Jamaluddin babu last year (he's just hit a ton for Khulna in the NCL), along with him there were a few others playing in London last season. Players need agents to co-ordinate these things. Speaking to Babu last year, he was totally unware of these things. In the modern game you have to be up-to-speed with these things, which our cricketers tend not to be. Because many of them are young and unfortunately naive. Haque Jnr, Rafique, Rana, Saleh, Ashraful, Basiya should start to look overseaes during the off-season. They are established internationals (minus Haque Jnr.) which gives them some credentials.
What do you guys think?
Old February 15, 2005, 12:29 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by redstar
There is alot of truth in what 'Islam' has raised here. However, I don't think any of the bangladeshi cricketers are ready for 1st class cricket in England & more importantly I don't think any of the counties will go for them. Counties tend to go for either, S Africans, Aussies, N Zealanders or Zimbabweans, they are more suited to the conditions therefore likely to succeed. Only established test players from asian countries play in the county championship e.g. Tendulkar, Dravid...proven at the top level.
However, Bangladeshi players can attempt to play in the 'Premier' club competitions. This will do 2 things: give the solid expereince required for playing in england and importantly allow the cricketers to earn some money. I think Bashar played for Abahani in London some years ago (prior to bangladesh gaining test status). Many of the established test & one-day players started off in the Lancashire and Surrey leagues. I played against Jamaluddin babu last year (he's just hit a ton for Khulna in the NCL), along with him there were a few others playing in London last season. Players need agents to co-ordinate these things. Speaking to Babu last year, he was totally unware of these things. In the modern game you have to be up-to-speed with these things, which our cricketers tend not to be. Because many of them are young and unfortunately naive. Haque Jnr, Rafique, Rana, Saleh, Ashraful, Basiya should start to look overseaes during the off-season. They are established internationals (minus Haque Jnr.) which gives them some credentials.
What do you guys think?
Al ot of this 'clubs' are just local clubs. Don't really see any advancement opportunities for out test cricketers there. But if you subscribe to the idea that 'something is better than nothing' then it is OK. I personally think that we should raise the bar and shoot for the highest level. And I beleive it WILL happen soon.
Old February 15, 2005, 12:47 PM
Club Cricketer

And yet players from other countries take this step. This includes players on the fringes of test cricket e.g Australian state players and some current test players and young aspiring players. There have often been instances of an injury struck touring party calling up a fellow countryman from English league cricket. It happened with New Zealand last summer. It is a route which has been taken by Michael Holding etc, etc, and recently De Villiers, who debuted for South Africa against England, who even played in Ireland last summer.

The Lancashire leagues and others are renowned as a hard school with hard cricket and their professionals must deliver. It would at the very least be an eye opener!

Edited on, February 15, 2005, 5:54 PM GMT, by Trueblue.
Old February 15, 2005, 01:10 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Trueblue
And yet players from other countries take this step. This includes players on the fringes of test cricket e.g Australian state players and some current test players and young aspiring players. There have often been instances of an injury struck touring party calling up a fellow countryman from English league cricket. It happened with New Zealand last summer. It is a route which has been taken by Michael Holding etc, etc, and recently De Villiers, who debuted for South Africa against England, who even played in Ireland last summer.

The Lancashire leagues and others are renowned as a hard school with hard cricket and their professionals must deliver. It would at the very least be an eye opener!

Edited on, February 15, 2005, 5:54 PM GMT, by Trueblue.
True, but the countries that you mentioned have already had a strong presence in the counties. So their fringe players going to the clubs didn't make a lot of difference in the perception of their ability. What I am talking about is essentially a mindset problem. I'm afraid if we START from the club level then BD players may be branded as only club cricketers and not good enough for the counties. So, I think if only one or two players can make a county team the rest can go to the clubs. What do you think?
Old February 15, 2005, 01:14 PM
Cricket Legend

there was an article in the DS yesterday about an exchange of players sponsored by the British Council and BCB. Something about sending some of our young players to the Surrey League (?) and having a few young English lads play with the 6 NL teams - not sure if in exhibition matches or in the first class games. Anyone know more about this?
Old February 15, 2005, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by offcutter
True, but the countries that you mentioned have already had a strong presence in the counties. So their fringe players going to the clubs didn't make a lot of difference in the perception of their ability. What I am talking about is essentially a mindset problem. I'm afraid if we START from the club level then BD players may be branded as only club cricketers and not good enough for the counties. So, I think if only one or two players can make a county team the rest can go to the clubs. What do you think?
While I see this point, it is equally a mindset problem to think "unless I can get into the county teams as a starting point, I am not going anywhere else". Obviously the players would want to get to the highest level, but it won't hurt them to start somewhere if they are fortunate enough to even get that far.

Bangladeshis in the UK with knowledge and any skills in this area should seriously consider business prospects of acting as agents for some of the leading players. You can't wait for the BCB or players to make it happen, so someone else has to maybe help connect the dots for all parties. This also means marketing the right players to the right clubs & county teams. Posting on banglacricket won't make it happen.

Edited on, February 15, 2005, 6:24 PM GMT, by rafiq.
Reason: qrong quotes
Old February 15, 2005, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

County cricket is a commercial place...you have to sell yourself to get in.
And to sell yourself, brand of "test player" is not good enough. You have to be a consistent player. Who will take a Bangladeshi Player at the county level with below 20 batting average?
Old February 15, 2005, 01:38 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq

Bangladeshis in the UK with knowledge and any skills in this area should seriously consider business prospects of acting as agents for some of the leading players. You can't wait for the BCB or players to make it happen, so someone else has to maybe help connect the dots for all parties. This also means marketing the right players to the right clubs & county teams. Posting on banglacricket won't make it happen.

Edited on, February 15, 2005, 6:24 PM GMT, by rafiq.
Reason: qrong quotes
Excellent idea Rafique, seriously. The think to do may be to contact agents in the UK first and take it from there. I know there are lot of these people in the US for various sports and it is big business. I'm sure similar situation exists in England.

I would sincerly welcome more input and possible action from those living in the UK, as would Rafiq I'm sure.
Old February 15, 2005, 03:15 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: M'Dulla

I play cricket in the Home Counties Premier League , UK for West Herts CC. The league is very competitive, each team has 1 professional playing for them, west indies, south africa etc... So therefor if a yooung prodigy from bangladesh, spends a season in English Club cricket, it will teah them about the conditions in England, etc.....BTW 10 bangladeshi youth players will be sent to play in the Surrey Leagues(but not premier league), and 1 player will be playing Young MCC.
Old February 15, 2005, 03:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

The future of BD cricket is in Bangladesh and not in England, Australia or anywhere else. If you are considering about setting standards, the possibility may not be obvious to set good standard. But the opportunity is certainly there. If county cricket was the future, England would have won the world cup at least once by now. Go figure!
Old February 15, 2005, 08:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Musholini
I play cricket in the Home Counties Premier League , UK for West Herts CC. The league is very competitive, each team has 1 professional playing for them, west indies, south africa etc... So therefor if a yooung prodigy from bangladesh, spends a season in English Club cricket, it will teah them about the conditions in England, etc.....BTW 10 bangladeshi youth players will be sent to play in the Surrey Leagues(but not premier league), and 1 player will be playing Young MCC.
This is good news. I'm sure if this continues our top players would get their chances in th counties.

Did you read Rafiq's post. I think he has a great idea. Think about it.
Old February 15, 2005, 08:29 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

calling all agents : Bring Biddyut, the disregarded star, to play county cricket. He will do very well there and will finally be able to play cricket, and get some good money as well.
Old February 17, 2005, 02:19 AM
First Class Cricketer

The county is the place to play if you wish to develop your current players into test players. Playing with/against the likes of vass, warne, ect...
will only benifit our cricket.

In the current pakistini squad a lot of them have played county cricket, so it proves that countys don't 'only take the best'. If out of the 2 forigen players one is injured or on international duty the county hires another to replace him. This could be an opertunity for a bd player to make a name for him self and bring that experence back and devlope our young players in bd.

Some one had an idea to bring forigen players to come and play in the bd league. I belive that a few pakistani players once player in our league like 4/5 years ago and then their board was upset about them playing here that they left. I doubt any other counties will let their players to come play in our league, esp since there are opertunities to apply their trade in england or south africa (much better leagues). A sides won't come and play test against our full strenght team, only tour our A side, that however doesn't seam to do us any good, other than find the odd decent player from our jr squads.
Old February 18, 2005, 06:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by offcutter

Al ot of this 'clubs' are just local clubs. Don't really see any advancement opportunities for out test cricketers there. But if you subscribe to the idea that 'something is better than nothing' then it is OK. I personally think that we should raise the bar and shoot for the highest level. And I beleive it WILL happen soon.
If you dont think a year in the Lancashire League would help a young cricketer, then you know nothing about cricket.

A kid by the name of SK Warne did a very productive year in Lancashire, for a start.

Lancashire, or grade cricket in Australia would be an exteremly good option for any of the Bangladesh squad.

Ian Whitchurch